A Beast Of Turin Lives Again – The S76 Fiat Racing Car Start Up

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 theoldmotor

theoldmotor

• 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 20:09

fiat3-1024x650.jpg

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS to Dunkin Pittaway and his helpers for accomplishing this long-term project. See many more excellent photos and a video by Stefan Marjoram showing the start-up of this fire-breathing MONSTER on TheOldMotor.com  

Fiat2.jpg

Edited by theoldmotor, 30 November 2014 - 13:35.

Advertisement

#2 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 20:33

Just fabulous!

#3 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 22:01

Truly fantastic achievement.  Well done to Duncan and everyone involved with this magnificent project.

#4 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 22:57

...and the SOUND

:clap:

Michael

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 23:08

My laptop's speakers didn't really do it justice, so I've just downloaded the video and run it through my Chromecast onto the TV, which brings out just how loud, deep and throaty that (lack of) exhaust note is. Simply awesome :clap:

#6 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 976 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 23:25

Simply sublime.  What a treat to the eye and ear.

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:51

I'm trying to imagine what the impact would have been on the local populace when Bordino drove the car on the public highway from Brooklands to Saltburn-by-the-Sea in June 1911, with that amazing noise and those stub exhausts spitting flame as it passed by. :eek:

#8 kingswood

kingswood

• 23 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:19

Pretty impressive for a car produced over 100 years ago !   What is the history on this chassis ?

Are there any others in existence ?

#9 Barttore

Barttore

• 43 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:33

Wonderful !

Thank you mr. Pittaway and mr. Majoram :clap: :clap: :clap:

#10 Roy C

Roy C

• 119 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:30

It's a great achievement by Duncan and co. :up: :up: :up:

I can't wait to see the Beast in the flesh! :smoking:

#11 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 13:02

Congratulations Duncan ! :clap:

#12 theoldmotor

theoldmotor

• 17 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:49

it's a "beast" for sure!!!

Check out the engine when it was being assembled with its 7.5-inch pistons.

S761-600x400.jpg

S769-600x400.jpg

A period photo of one of the two cars.

S76151-600x323.jpg

#13 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 15:49

Am I going mad here? I distinctly recall a lot of in-depth research on the origins of the chassis that Duncan P has used, which concluded that it could not be an S76 and yet everybody here is raving about the car being 'rebuilt' and 'coming back to life' and 'The Beast lives again' etc., etc.

Don't get me wrong, it is a fabulous spectacle and a magnificent achievement to build up this car but I don't believe anyone has ever produced any evidence to show that it is anything other than a recreation using a non-original chassis, or was I away when that happened?

#14 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 16:33

I agree, Michael.  Perhaps someone should put up a link to the original S76 FIAT query thread. As you say, many people with very good original sources have countered any suggestions of what it might be. Again like you, and having studied it and photographed it copiously at the FoS, I stand in awe at the level of work and detail which has gone into this device. Similarly, I am a great champion of DP's mechanical skills, both here  and with his other cars, and I spent a long time at the FoS  listening to the to the Italian engineer  who did much of the precision work, a joy to listen to.

I have said before that I look forward to DP showing photographs of exactly what it was that he bought/brought from Australia. Perhaps the  film in 2015 will show it all. I always believe sight of what you start with invariably gives the measure of just what you have, and what you have achieved in the restoration.  DP is quite clear about what FIAT have supplied in parts and drawings.

Nevertheless, it is a remarkable device, beautifully executed and the only chance I will ever have of seeing one.

Roger Lund

#15 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 17:47

I agree, Michael.  Perhaps someone should put up a link to the original S76 FIAT query thread. As you say, many people with very good original sources have countered any suggestions of what it might be. Again like you, and having studied it and photographed it copiously at the FoS, I stand in awe at the level of work and detail which has gone into this device. Similarly, I am a great champion of DP's mechanical skills, both here  and with his other cars, and I spent a long time at the FoS  listening to the to the Italian engineer  who did much of the precision work, a joy to listen to.

I have said before that I look forward to DP showing photographs of exactly what it was that he bought/brought from Australia. Perhaps the  film in 2015 will show it all. I always believe sight of what you start with invariably gives the measure of just what you have, and what you have achieved in the restoration.  DP is quite clear about what FIAT have supplied in parts and drawings.

Nevertheless, it is a remarkable device, beautifully executed and the only chance I will ever have of seeing one.

Roger Lund

This one I think:  http://forums.autosp...-5#entry6987255

#16 theoldmotor

theoldmotor

• 17 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 19:11

As the say, stay tuned as Stefan's next film is going to include interviews with all who worked on the project and it is also going to include the history of both the chassis and the engine.

fiat7-760x506.jpg

#17 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 21:14

As the say, stay tuned as Stefan's next film is going to include interviews with all who worked on the project and it is also going to include the history of both the chassis and the engine.

fiat7-760x506.jpg

Interesting to see an Australian connection as a backdrop...

http://www.tnt.com/e...il_express.html

TNT was founded in Australia after the second World War, TNT went Dutch in 1992 following rapid international expansion. Today, TNT Express is a global company, operating in 200 countries around the world. But the company actually started from very humble beginnings, in Australia back in the 1940s, when Ken Thomas set up his own transport business with just a single truck.

#18 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 22:21

Thomas Nationwide Transport, came to UK in early 70s operating groupage into Europe ISTR. Their trucks were pink. Went from strength to strength.

Roger Lund

#19 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 00:13

Congratulations!

Am I imaging things, or did George Wingard have a Fiat like this?

Edited by fbarrett, 02 December 2014 - 00:14.

Advertisement

#20 theoldmotor

theoldmotor

• 17 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 00:33

Congratulations!

Am I imaging things, or did George Wingard have a Fiat like this?

George does have one but it is the smaller S74 model: http://theoldmotor.com/?p=27173