Photo

Le Mans Entry Fees 1960's

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mogger

mogger

• 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 15:00

Any idea what the entry fee was to enter a GT car at Le Mans in the early 60's ?

Advertisement

#2 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:27

In the absence of any response to your question I tried asking Google, all I got was the cost of entry to the 24 hour race at the Nurburgring in 2010 which was " 7,508 per car, of which €3,000 was an advance payment for fuel."

Hope something closer to the answer you are looking for comes to light soon :wave:

#3 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:31

Why????

#4 Loren Lundberg

Loren Lundberg

• 80 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 22:36

Per the "Demande de Participation" form completed by Briggs Cunningham on 18 Feb 60, the fee was 1000 new French francs.

#5 mogger

mogger

• 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:39

Many thanks. Slightly complicated by the fact that the ff was devalued in Jan 1960 where 100ff were then worth 1 new ff. Still, I reckon that was about 70 odd British pounds? About 1000 pounds in today's values? That is if the net has the calculation right!

Before the war, it was up to 6800ff, less for cars with smaller capacity engines plus discounts up to 50% for early entries. Does the cunningham form also show discounts??

I wonder if you received your money back if you failed scrutineering?

#6 Loren Lundberg

Loren Lundberg

• 80 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:19

Nothing about discounts.   Refunds?!?  Surely you jest.

#7 dgs

dgs

• 251 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:10

Possibly this is the total it cost to run at Le Mans in 1960 in a GT car.

Tony Marsh and John Wagstaff won the Index of Thermal Efficiency award in a Lotus Elite.

Following is from Tony Marsh's autobiography " Tony Marsh the  great all-rounder" "In and out of motorsport"

" the opportunity to race there (Le Mans) came about because of the race at Spa with the Cooper Monaco. The French, as always, had a champagne party a couple of nights before the race where David Buxton, who ran Team Elite, asked me if I'd be interested in driving one of their Lotuses at Le Mans. Naturally I said yes, although I had to put my hand in my pocket to the tune of about £2000, quite a lot of money in those days. In fact I got about £3000 back when we won the Index of Energy award".   

#8 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,543 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 16:29

Following is from Tony Marsh's autobiography " Tony Marsh the  great all-rounder" "In and out of motorsport"

" the opportunity to race there (Le Mans) came about because of the race at Spa with the Cooper Monaco. The French, as always, had a champagne party a couple of nights before the race where David Buxton, who ran Team Elite, asked me if I'd be interested in driving one of their Lotuses at Le Mans. Naturally I said yes, although I had to put my hand in my pocket to the tune of about £2000, quite a lot of money in those days. In fact I got about £3000 back when we won the Index of Energy award".   

Hansard gives a clue about what £2,000 meant in UK wage power in 1960. (http://hansard.millb...l-average-wages)

A Principal Civil Servant earned £2,375 per annum. A London journalist caught a smidge over a grand a year. Football players were on £10 per week.

So when Tony Marsh bid £2,000 to drive that Cooper, it was a lot of money. If you want to convert it into UK house prices, it was a third of the cost of a posh semi in a nice neighbourhood. Or you could have bought two Austin Se7en Minis with a pair of matching Morris Mini-Minors.

#9 mogger

mogger

• 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 14:28

Thanks everyone. Loren, I have sent you a private message.