354 replies to this topic

#1 aguri

aguri

• 418 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:43

Super Formula or Indycar with Honda?

Le Mans with Porsche?

A last minute call up from Caterham?

Riding the simulator and hoping Vandoorne doesn't wipe the floor with everyone in GP2?

Advertisement

#2 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:01

A McLaren race seat for 2015? The fat lady hasn't sung yet...

#3 chumma

chumma

• 1,345 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:14

Well, all things considered, if Button gets the seat which looks likely, its disaster for Kevin. 2016 you would have to think that if Button goes (likely) that Vandoorne will get the nod, hes too good to be in GP2 for a 3rd season, and unless Alonso vacates his seat after one season (likely in my opinion) Magnussen may get a second chance with McLaren but if that doesn't happen I think hes lost to another team or a reserve role. He deserves to be in F1 no doubt.

#4 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:15

4978706-ville-stte-ild-til-jobcenter.jpg

#5 loki0420

loki0420

• 997 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:22

If he indeed leaves (which is not a fact) i hope the team keeps him and in 2016 form a side team like TR to RB and like Haas to Ferrari (it seems) and get him drive there. Of course if there're no other alternatives like driving for Caterham next season.

#6 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:29

A McLaren race seat for 2015? The fat lady hasn't sung yet...

Everyone can hear her rehearsing out the back though

#7 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:33

Sadly, it could be the last we see of him. I don't rate him that highly, but its always sad to see such a young driver out of the sport without a chance to even show what they're capable of. 

It seems like career suicide to go straight into a top team now, they're too impatient and no current rookie will deliver like Hamilton once did. 

#8 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:35

Does anyone have the link for the interview where Kevin says that he doesn't want to be in smaller teams bc he thinks that if Macca sacks him they don't think he is a future champ and therefore he don't want to stay in F1 just bc of the purpose of being in F1, its funny bc McLaren sack him, he is no longer considered by many to be WDC anytime soon and for sure he won't be on smaller teams.

#9 kraduk

kraduk

• 696 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:40

what time is she due on stage today?

#10 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,646 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:41

Does anyone have the link for the interview where Kevin says that he doesn't want to be in smaller teams bc he thinks that if Macca sacks him they don't think he is a future champ and therefore he don't want to stay in F1 just bc of the purpose of being in F1, its funny bc McLaren sack him, he is no longer considered by many to be WDC anytime soon and for sure he won't be on smaller teams.

http://www.crash.net...akeorbreak.html

http://www.crash.net...-qa-part-2.html

#11 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:47

http://www.crash.net...akeorbreak.html

http://www.crash.net...-qa-part-2.html

Thank you buddy !! My words werent the same but the message was, he thinks he is too good to be in F1 just "to finish races and fight for points" and he doesnt want to build from smaller teams to the top, well that work just fine for Riccardo and thats why we could see Daniel as a future champ and Kevin might never be back in F1 hope its just me but i smell a subtle arrogance here.

#12 Mox

Mox

• 3,234 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:55

If he doesn't get a seat, I think he will leave F1. This was his shot. If he isn't good enough, I think he will leave, regroup and re-join racing, like his dad, in more relaxed environments.

#13 Flatnaveg

Flatnaveg

• 176 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:59

Thank you buddy !! My words werent the same but the message was, he thinks he is too good to be in F1 just "to finish races and fight for points" and he doesnt want to build from smaller teams to the top, well that work just fine for Riccardo and thats why we could see Daniel as a future champ and Kevin might never be back in F1 hope its just me but i smell a subtle arrogance here.

You really do hate Magnussen, ha?  Well  it was McLaren that got Perez sacked not Magnussen! So please give the guy a rest   :rolleyes:

#14 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:00

You really do hate Magnussen, ha? Well it was McLaren that got Perez sacked not Magnussen! So please give the guy a rest :rolleyes:

Naw, i have very harsh opinions on everything, no time to hate on anyone, and i do agree Perez got nothing to do on McLaren in 2013 but i dont see why you mention Perez on this thread.

#15 Flatnaveg

Flatnaveg

• 176 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:06

Naw, i have very harsh opinions on everything, no time to hate on anyone, and i do agree Perez got nothing to do on McLaren in 2013 but i dont see why you mention Perez on this thread.

oh I think you know why 

#16 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:08

oh I think you know why

Having an opinion doesnt make anyone love or hate a driver, could we go back to the topic about Magnussen or do you want to keep talking about how you keep track on everything i post.

#17 Flatnaveg

Flatnaveg

• 176 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:24

Having an opinion doesnt make anyone love or hate a driver, could we go back to the topic about Magnussen or do you want to keep talking about how you keep track on everything i post.

I just think that it shines too much through your opinion, that you are still bitter about the fact that Magnussen got Perez´s seat. Therefor cant  take you seriously. So it would serve you best to give the guy a rest! Just my opinion!

#18 rjsports

rjsports

• 573 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:33

If it's true, then there is no point joining the McLaren young driver program. If you're lucky you'll get one season in F1 and if you can't deliver what Hamilton did in 2007 you're out. And by the looks of it, out of F1 as well.

Edited by rjsports, 11 December 2014 - 08:33.

#19 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:48

It's sad Mclaren had no back up plan for Magnussen at all. He is to good to sit out a season.

Button will be destroyed by Alonso anyway and then leave in 2016 or '17. Whilst Kevin would be the strongest man to take over a lead driver role when Alonso quits

Advertisement

#20 Antaris

Antaris

• 18 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:48

Breath mate, breath...

#21 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:49

Maybe take the Davidson route and help develop the next racing game, such as the long-awaited Lego Racers 3.

#22 BARHonda006

BARHonda006

• 541 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:50

It's sad Mclaren had no back up plan for Magnussen at all. He is to good to sit out a season.

Button will be destroyed by Alonso anyway and then leave in 2016 or '17. Whilst Kevin would be the strongest man to take over a lead driver role when Alonso quits

We'll see...we'll see about being destroyed.

#23 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:51

Breath mate, breath...

Do you need to take a breath when you read? I was more annoyed by the bc

#24 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:52

I just think that it shines too much through your opinion, that you are still bitter about the fact that Magnussen got Perez´s seat. Therefor cant  take you seriously. So it would serve you best to give the guy a rest! Just my opinion!

No prob if you don't take me serious, i respect your opinion and probably neither do i would take serious a person who only argument is "you are bitter of the perez magnussen situation" of 1 year ago without giving real arguments that add value to this thread, i have my opinion whether you like it or not and i hope you can contribute to this thread in a positive matter if not please avoid me reporting you and respect others opinions, having a contradiction of opinions with sustainable arguments is what makes this forums one of the best on the internet so unless you contribute with something of value to this thread i won't be wasting valuable time in responding anything that you post, have a good day.

If it's true, then there is no point joining the McLaren young driver program. If you're lucky you'll get one season in F1 and if you can't deliver what Hamilton did in 2007 you're out. And by the looks of it, out of F1 as well.

Now back to topic, the McLaren drivers program is not like Red Bull's program somehow it helps them to spend 150 m in a smaller team to test younger drivers before giving them a big shot instead of sending them directly into a top team like McLaren and yes sometimes it works producing one of the best drivers of all history talking about Lewis Hamilton, but what are the chances of getting another driver like Lewis following that program IMO are very slim since the pressure of knowing that you have to perform like Lewis in your first year on the team doesn't help a rookie to prove his real value in such a narrow time, thats why i quote the comments Kevin did on being part of smaller teams and make your way up because i feel he sounded kind of arrogant while in perspective Riccardo started at HRT and climb up to RB to be one of the best drivers of the season, i think giving the drivers time to mature its an important part of the development program and thats a luxury you don't have under McLaren's Program.

Breath mate, breath...

I apologize, im not native english speaker but i promise I'm getting a grammar book this week.  :yawnface:

Edited by emmanuelrubi, 11 December 2014 - 08:54.

#25 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:54

They'll keep Magnussen instead of Button, Ron Dennis isn't going to listen to the British public and media, this is an international, professional, company decision and the best one clearly is to support Magnussen.

#26 Zava

Zava

• 7,115 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:57

this guy wins twitter:

Wonder if Kevin Magnussen will have a son who signs for McLaren but never really gets a proper go at it. It's becoming the family business.

anyway, next for Kevin is a press conference in about a hour. after that, we'll see...

#27 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:04

We'll see...we'll see about being destroyed.

What I mean is that Button has nothing to prove against Alonso. He will not win another title alongside Fernando.
All that is likely to happen is that they take points of each other (like in 2010/ '11/ '12 with Lewis).

In the short term the Alonso/Button line-up will probably be better for constructors points, but as long as Honda isn't the best power unit the title is still way out of reach, especially considering the lack of a good chassis from Macca in the last 2 seasons.

Therefore I argue it's better to prepare Kevin for when the engine is up there with the Mercedes PU, and probably by that time Jenson (and perhaps even Fernando) would be gone anyway.

I just hope Kevin gets to be in F1 in one way or another. We'll see what the announcement says.

#28 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:06

Mclaren retain Button :/

#29 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:09

R.I.P.

The F1-career of Kevin Magnussen

2014-2014

#30 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:09

I feel the team owes him some kind of practical assistance... if he's left high and dry.

#31 femi

femi

• 8,288 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:14

While there is no doubt some celebration on the Button camp, the challenge will be to do a better job than Fernando Alonso next year. That will not be easy but Button has the advantage of having had his “feet under the table” at McLaren for five seasons. The worry is that the season may not be a bed of roses with the new Honda engine to be developed and the possibility that this will not be up to speed with the existing units. Alonso has a long-term deal with the team and so will benefit from the work while Button may end up doing the hard graft and then handing his car over to Magnussen when it is more competitive. Time will tell.

http://joesaward.wor...utton-stays-on/

#32 David1976

David1976

• 1,638 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:17

I suspect Magnussen has already had his last drive in a top tier F1 team.  He hasn't shone this year and there aren't many second chances in F1.

Other categories of motorsport or a development role are the likely options.

#33 Emilvang

Emilvang

• 965 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:17

Well, maybe he can drive Le Mans with his dad and hope to find a seat in '16 + test driver. One of the old guys like Kimi, Button or Massa might retire and make room.

#34 ninetyzero

ninetyzero

• 706 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:21

Yeah right, I remember when Button was going to be 'destroyed' by Hamilton, and we all know how that turned out don't we?

#35 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:23

You get one chance, if you dont shine you are out. Its simple as that.

#36 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,267 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:24

I doubt one can surprise Button with bad engines. 

#37 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 703 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:41

2015 - McLaren test/reserve driver.

after that? who knows, I guess if Button leaves then back to McLaren no.2, if not? maybe another team or something?

#38 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,919 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:45

They would presumably have farmed him out to Marussia or Cateham and kept paying his salary if either of those teams was going to continue with a first option on recall for 2016 (a la Jules Bianchi).

But that seems unlikely at the minute.

#39 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,919 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:46

What I mean is that Button has nothing to prove against Alonso. He will not win another title alongside Fernando.
All that is likely to happen is that they take points of each other (like in 2010/ '11/ '12 with Lewis).

In the short term the Alonso/Button line-up will probably be better for constructors points, but as long as Honda isn't the best power unit the title is still way out of reach, especially considering the lack of a good chassis from Macca in the last 2 seasons.

Therefore I argue it's better to prepare Kevin for when the engine is up there with the Mercedes PU, and probably by that time Jenson (and perhaps even Fernando) would be gone anyway.

I just hope Kevin gets to be in F1 in one way or another. We'll see what the announcement says.

I suspect it'll be Vandoorne who replaces Button in 2016, rather than Magnussen.

Advertisement

#40 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:56

Maybe Ron will try to find him a seat elsewhere.

#41 Mox

Mox

• 3,234 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:13

Only chance for a future in F1 for Kevin would be go to GP2 and spank Vandoorne!

#42 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:15

Only chance for a future in F1 for Kevin would be go to GP2 and spank Vandoorne!

Well he can't go to GP2 having raced in F1. 

He can race in Super Formula next year though ... I'm sure Honda can find him a seat there if Honda and McLaren want. 

#43 Mox

Mox

• 3,234 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:18

Right ... of course. Oversight on my part. 

Well, it's over then.

#44 jee

jee

• 1,285 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:21

Well he can't go to GP2 having raced in F1. 

He can as Grosjean and Bruni did, only GP2 champions cannot race in GP2 anymore.

#45 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:21

Media danesi dicono che Magnussen guiderà nel Jap Gt, pur mantenendo il ruolo di 3° pilota Mclaren

Danish media say Magnussen will drive in Jap Gt, while maintaining the role of the 3rd pilot Mclaren

#46 Burai

Burai

• 1,894 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:30

A real shame for Kevin. There just isn't enough time for a rookie to get up to speed in their first season without proper testing.

I just don't see the point of having a young driver programme if you aren't going to give them time. Otherwise you're just investing in guaranteed failures. They would have been better off putting him in a Force India or a Caterham. Now he'll always have the "dropped by a top team" stigma and the bastards wouldn't even let him go early enough to try to salvage his career at another team like Perez did.

A real shame.

#47 Anja

Anja

• 10,257 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:38

He can as Grosjean and Bruni did, only GP2 champions cannot race in GP2 anymore.

Champions and those who did a full season in F1.

#48 MissingTheApex

MissingTheApex

• 326 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:44

It seems to me that this will be Jenson's final year.  I think he's been retained more by Honda than Mclaren, if that makes sense and Mag will get the seat in 2016.  They probably want Jenson's feedback more in regards to developing the car, package and that Kev has been held back a year.

I actually think it's cute thinking and Kev may have a cracking car to fight with in 2016, let alone watching 2 world champions closely in the same team.  Win win for me.

#49 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:46

He's completed one full season of F1 so he can't enter GP2. At least that was a rule in 2012, the most recent GP2 rulebook I can find.

Edited by Doughnut King, 11 December 2014 - 12:43.

#50 rjsports

rjsports

• 573 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:46

Don't forget they also have Stoffel Vandoorne, if he snatches the title this season driving the way he did this year it's going to be difficult for Magnussen.