- - - - -

Nyloc Nuts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:55

A Collegue is asking about thoughts on Nyloc nuts. And i realise i know little myself. Do you have a pdf or a good source on the topic?

One question im asking myself is this: does the locking capabilities stay linear with size?

Here is some on it:

Interesting to note that a switching to a coarse pitch thread could be worse due to the Nord Lock pitch angle.

The more critical components on trains often have soft plates bendt/knocked around the nut.

Edited by MatsNorway, 17 December 2014 - 09:51.

Advertisement

#2 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 22:18

Very interesting little demo. Does anyone know if this fastening system is approved for some aviation applications?

#3 imaginesix

imaginesix

• 7,525 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 22:33

A Collegue is asking about thoughts on Nyloc nuts. And i realise i know little myself. Do you have a pdf or a good source on the topic?
One question im asking myself is this: does the locking capabilities stay linear with size?

Here is some on it:
Interesting to note that a switching to a fine pitch thread could be worse due tot the Nord Lock pitch angle.

The more critical components on trains often have soft plates bendt/knocked around the nut.

I think you mean coarse thread, as the thread angle will be steeper. I imagine they set the cam angle steeper than any standard thread angle for bolts of that size. Pretty neat idea though.

#4 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:56

I have never had a good crimp nut come appreciably loose.Though after a couple of uses they are near useless. Though have been proven for decades in use on valve rockers without any trouble. I have run them over 6000rpm with flat tappet cams without trouble. LT1, Z28 and other perormance production engines did as well. we will not talk about galled rocker balls and valve heads though!

Nylocs are only good for minor duty applications. Ok for one or two uses in low viabration areas. 

For studs loctite is still near impossible to beat. Never seems as good on nuts for some reason. Though all surfaces must be clean. I use red, blue and green for different applications.

Worst thing though is it sets on the bottle threads and then either drys out or leaks out of the bottle. As I found out yesterday!

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 19 December 2014 - 00:02.

#5 bigleagueslider

bigleagueslider

• 1,235 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:37

I work in the US aerospace industry (including some time working for Boeing, LM and NG), but I'm not familiar with this particular lock washer design. Threaded fasteners used in aircraft applications typically require at least two separate forms of locking features. The most common are tension preload from installation torque and an interference type thread locking feature. These thread locking features are commonly used because it is easy to verify their function at installation using just a torque wrench. I don't know how you would do the same with this Nord-Lock washer.