European F3 2015

• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,813 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 14:44

That's the possible lineup:

Jake Dennis (Prema Power; Dallara Mercedes)

Lance Stroll (Prema Power; Dallara Mercedes)

Brandon Maïsano (Prema Power; Dallara Mercedes)

Charles Leclerc (Prema Power; Dallara Mercedes)

Gustavo Menezes (Carlin; Dallara VW)

Tatiana Calderón (Carlin; Dallara VW)

George Russell (Carlin; Dallara VW)

Callum Ilott (Carlin; Dallara VW)

Michele Beretta (Mücke; Dallara Mercedes)

Santino Ferrucci (Mücke; Dallara Mercedes)

Maximilian Günther (Mücke; Dallara Mercedes)

Jules Szymkowiak (Van Amersfoort; Dallara VW)

Alessio Lorandi (Van Amersfoort; Dallara VW)

Nicolas Pohler (West-Tec; Dallara Mercedes)

Arjun Maini (Fortec; Dallara Mercedes)

Pietro Fittipaldi (Fortec; Dallara Mercedes)

Sandro Zeller (Jo Zeller; Dallara Mercedes)

Ukyo Sasahara (T-Sport; Dallara ThreeBond)

Pedro Piquet (T-Sport; Dallara NBE)

Matthew Solomon (Double-R; Dallara Mercedes)

Alexander Albon (Signature; Dallara VW)

Dorian Boccolacci (Signature; Dallara VW)

Nabil Jeffri (Motopark; Dallara VW)

Markus Pommer (Motopark; Dallara VW)

Marvin Kirchhöfer (Motopark; Dallara VW)

Tom Dillmann (Motorpark; Dallara VW)

??? (ArtLine; ArtTech ORECA)

??? (ArtLine; ArtTech NBE)

Advertisement

#2 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 16:37

Not sure if the bold the confirmed drivers or what it signifies, doubtful that we will see all those listed and absent from the list are 4 drivers who actually tested this week for F3. Getting the teams together is really same difficult exercise as in F1 need a budget, need drivers who can deliver, justifying budget.

Were we to see them all, some would dominate the series, and some would be making up numbers.

Not winning races

--

Tatiana Calderón

Michele Beretta

Jules Szymkowiak

Nicolas Pohler

Arjun Maini

Sandro Zeller

Ukyo Sasahara

Matthew Solomon

Alexander Albon

Nabil Jeffri

Tom Dillmann

Ryan Tveter

Sam MacLeod

Likely not winning races, but could.

--

Brandon Maïsano - His ceiling seems to be lower, than winning Euro F3 races.

Jake Dennis - A returning driver, seems as if his ceiling were at a lower than winning Euro F3 races.

Markus Pommer - Been around for so long that I do not expect anything special, I do however expect that he will be at the sharper end of the field on occasion.

Gustavo Menezes - A returning driver, seems as if his ceiling were at a lower than winning Euro F3 races.

Straight out of Karting no one knows, could win races

--

Callum Ilott

Alessio Lorandi

The mix of no idea, and could win races and battle for wins and Championship

--

Lance Stroll - Very young, 1 season of racing outside Karting, not sure how to grade Italy F4.

George Russell - Very young, 1 season of racing outside Karting, received McLaren Autosport award 2014

Santino Ferrucci - I have no idea what to expect, his Forix picture seems as if he is 9 years old.

Dorian Boccolacci - No idea what to expect, someone must see something though as he is part of the Lotus F1 Junior Team.

Mikkel Jensen - Won the ADAC Masters making F3 he next step, not easy to know what to expect.

Maximilian Günther - ADAC Masters is what I think FFord used to be, the class after Karting where the drivers should go first, he did good and I am interested in how well he will do at this level.

Antonio Giovinazzi - Returning driver, winning races in 2014.

Marvin Kirchhöfer - Been around winning races, making a downwards, upwardss, sidewards move from GP3 there is something there, he needs to unlock it in 2015.

Charles Leclerc - A little intriqued about him, think there is a lot of speed which he needs to learn to unlock.

The genetics factor

--

Pietro Fittipaldi - Just due to genetics I expect a credible performance.

Pedro Piquet - Just due to genetics I expect a credible performance.

Until field is actually set, this is best first stab I can give, obvious that the F3 drivers are getting younger and younger, Senna was 21 when he started AutoRacing and 23 before he was in F3.

:cool:

#3 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 16:42

Dillmann would win a bunch, but I can't see him doing F3 again.

#4 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 869 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 17:23

Kirchhöfer was testing for Mücke recently afaik. Would be a step back for him. Don't think he has much to prove in F3 anymore. But what i read the thought behind it could be to attract interest from Mercedes.

#5 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,022 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 22:41

Dorian Boccolacci is rather good prospect with some good results in Karting and French F4 against more experienced drivers.

Kz2 world champion aged 15

WSK Kf champion aged 14

2nd in French F4 at 15

In Top 10 in WDC in KF at 15 years old in his rookie year

#6 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 22:43

With a name like that I hope he makes it.

Edited by Risil, 19 December 2014 - 22:43.

#7 Thespianoid

Thespianoid

• 124 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 23:29

I'd be disappointed if Kirchhöfer steps back to F3. His career is on an upward swing after an impressive GP3 season against far more experienced drivers. Stepping back could be disastrous if he doesn't dominate. 

#8 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,126 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 23:38

I'd be disappointed if Kirchhöfer steps back to F3. His career is on an upward swing after an impressive GP3 season against far more experienced drivers. Stepping back could be disastrous if he doesn't dominate. 

Is it really backwards, though, or just sideways?  German F3 would certainly be a step back, but I think European F3 is much tougher and has greater prestige, although as you said he would be under pressure to win given his experience in the formula.

#9 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,928 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 23:56

Dorian Boccolacci is rather good prospect with some good results in Karting and French F4 against more experienced drivers.

He is part of the Lotus F1 junior development program.

#10 Thespianoid

Thespianoid

• 124 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 00:15

Is it really backwards, though, or just sideways?  German F3 would certainly be a step back, but I think European F3 is much tougher and has greater prestige, although as you said he would be under pressure to win given his experience in the formula.

That's a good point. You're right, mostly sideways, maybe a half step down? 

I'm really not a fan of the move as it puts unnecessary pressure on him to win convincingly. In terms of competition level, he'd have to dominate the year as most of the legit talents of the field (Stroll, Leclerc, Russell, Boccolacci, Fittipaldi, Piquet) are much younger and just starting out their single seater careers. In terms of visibility/prestige, surely another year on the F1 support bill would be a good idea? He's already 20 given he started single seaters late (much like Vandoorne), so he needs to gain affiliation with an F1 team soon. Perhaps there's something we don't know about going on behind the scenes with Mercedes (as with Ocon). 

This just reminds me too much of Danny Kent stepping down from Moto2 to Moto3 after a promising year (given experience level and bike competitiveness). A less dramatic step, but similar. He failed to make an impression at a level he needed to dominate, and thus his career has lost much of its former luster. Not good. 

Edited by Thespianoid, 20 December 2014 - 00:22.

#11 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:08

Admittedly I'm basing this on nothing other than Riccardo Agostini's respective competitiveness in his part seasons in the two championships last year, but is GP3->EF3 really much of a backwards step? In engine power yeah, in level of competition I'm not so sure.

#12 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 869 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:14

I guess the idea is to get him into DTM if his single seater career stalls. A championship win could open doors higher up tho. The pressure is on him that's for sure.

#13 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,813 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:27

Kirchhöfer was testing for Mücke recently afaik. Would be a step back for him. Don't think he has much to prove in F3 anymore. But what i read the thought behind it could be to attract interest from Mercedes.

He tested with Mücke but had very good relations to Motopark. I talked to his manager and he told me that F3 is absolutely possible as another season in GP3 makes little sense and GP2 is too expensive.

#14 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:31

The names of Kirchhofer and Dillmann did struck me as very odd in that opening post...

I'm still keeping a close eye on Kirchhofer as a possible big prospect. Even if a move to Euro F3 sounds like unnecessary extra pressure yes.

#15 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,022 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:36

Dillmann won't go back to F3 as he was just doing the driver coach for the team, setting basline times.

like giovinazzi did for carlin.

#16 Thespianoid

Thespianoid

• 124 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:15

He tested with Mücke but had very good relations to Motopark. I talked to his manager and he told me that F3 is absolutely possible as another season in GP3 makes little sense and GP2 is too expensive.

Mücke would be a good team to join. Motopark is who he has close ties with, but how will they do in the European championship their first go? Plus there's no engine manufacturer ties. Ideally he should join one of Prema or Mücke. Mercedes connection as a bonus.

Interesting that his manager thinks another season in GP3 makes little sense. Can't understand that, surely a GP3 title (and continued strong performances on the F1 support billing) would solidify his reputation as a big-time prospect. Best prospect of the GP3 field last year (performance relative to experience level).

Edited by Thespianoid, 21 December 2014 - 08:34.

#17 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,813 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:29

Update:

Brandon Maïsano (Prema Power; Dallara Mercedes)?

Tatiana Calderón (Carlin; Dallara VW)?

Callum Ilott (Carlin; Dallara VW)?

Mikkel Jensen (Mücke; Dallara Mercedes)

Maximilian Günther (Mücke; Dallara Mercedes)?

Charles Leclerc (Van Amersfoort; Dallara VW)

Nicolas Pohler (West-Tec; Dallara Mercedes)?

Arjun Maini (Fortec; Dallara Mercedes)?

Pietro Fittipaldi (Fortec; Dallara Mercedes)?

Sandro Zeller (Jo Zeller; Dallara Mercedes)?

Ukyo Sasahara (T-Sport; Dallara ThreeBond)?

Pedro Piquet (T-Sport; Dallara NBE)?

Matthew Solomon (Double-R; Dallara Mercedes)?

Alexander Albon (Signature; Dallara VW)?

Dorian Boccolacci (Signature; Dallara VW)?

Nabil Jeffri (Motopark; Dallara VW)?

Markus Pommer (Motopark; Dallara VW)?

Marvin Kirchhöfer (Motopark; Dallara VW)?

Tom Dillmann (Motopark; Dallara VW)?

??? (ArtLine; ArtTech ORECA)?

??? (ArtLine; ArtTech NBE)?

#18 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,813 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 19:26

There are 50 entry requests for 2015 F3 European season. Surely there will not be 50 cars on the grid, but what I want to know: Which F3 race had the most entries in the past?

#19 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 19:31

I didn't think there was even 50 cars built to the current regs?

Advertisement

#20 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 20:09

My feeble and failing memory say that the 1980 through 1985 F3 European Championship had in excess of 40 cars entered in some races, equally feeble and failing ability mean I can not find anything remotely close to entry lists, would also think that the Macau Grand Prix have had some quite substantial entry lists.

For a whole season will be harder to get to work smoothly, but also seems there is a distinct lack of confirmed entries.

#21 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 22:10

50 car grids? You need to buy shares in Dallara spare parts firms!

I'm guessing a lot of drivers need a confirmed place to get the sponsorship money, hence many are applying when a lot won't be able to secure the drive in the end.

Edited by TimRTC, 15 January 2015 - 22:10.

#22 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 20:27

So, by the looks of this: https://translate.go...tter&edit-text=

Sean Gelael to FR3.5 with Tom Dillmann at Carlin. But more importantly to this thread, Giovinazzi to remain in F3 with Jagonya Ayam with Carlin.

I realise Sean's dad is the one with the money, but disappointed that Antonio's the one left in F3, he deserved the step up more than Sean does, based on their performances last year. I guess he's one of the favourite's for the title now.

Presumably that means Blomqvist has got a ride in DTM or another series... Interesting that Tom Dillmann's replaced him, but I figure they want an experience guy alongside Sean in FR3.5 to help him progress.

Edited by Brandz07, 18 January 2015 - 20:29.

#23 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 23:11

There are 50 entry requests for 2015 F3 European season. Surely there will not be 50 cars on the grid, but what I want to know: Which F3 race had the most entries in the past?

The new super licence regulations are working a treat (for the FIA) then. It's a great shame British F3 couldn't last one more season, as the new points reward could have been just what the series needed to pick itself back up again.

#24 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:41

Unfortunately Brit F3 would have been rated as National F3 and worth like, 10 points(?) for a win. Maybe 20. But not the Euro-40 so ultimately meaningless. You might as well just do GP3, etc...

#25 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:54

Fair point, I misremembered the points table. If they had done the points thing years ago Brit F3 would have been given the full 40 points, but GP3 did rather kill national F3 off.

#26 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 13:13

Giovinazzi confirmed at Carlin, does this make him the favorite going in to the season?

#27 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 14:49

Giovinazzi confirmed at Carlin, does this make him the favorite going in to the season?

Hard to say, logically yes of the drivers so far confirmed but you could have said the same of Rosenqvist last year. F3 doesn't seem to be as experience-dependent as say GP2 for instance, so depending on how good any of these kids coming from the lower categories are he could be leapfrogged if a new Ocon/Verstappen comes through.

I agree he probably should have gotten the FR3.5 promotion instead of Gelael, but yeah it's his dad's money, and he's probably one of the best out of the rich motor racing dads out there in that he funds not just his son but two talented drivers who may be on the financial scrapheap otherwise  :up:

#28 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,813 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:12

Update:

Antonio Giovinazzi (Carlin; Dallara VW)

Ryan Tveter (Carlin; Dallara VW)

Nicolas Pohler (West-Tec; Dallara Mercedes)?

Pedro Piquet (T-Sport; Dallara NBE)?

Matthew Solomon (Double-R; Dallara Mercedes)?

Markus Pommer (Motopark; Dallara VW)?

Marvin Kirchhöfer (Motopark; Dallara VW)?

Mahaveer Raghunathan (Motopark; Dallara VW)?

??? (Ma-Con; Dallara ORECA)?

#29 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:00

Blomqvist to DTM: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/117552. Seems to be the graveyard for open-wheel careers in Europe these days.

#30 zanquis

zanquis

• 5,174 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 22:45

It will most likely be Giovinazzi this year, maybe a bit fightback from the Prema boys. I like the van Amersfoort racing line-up, basically the strongest competitors Max had in karting, following his footsteps. They should be talented but dont know if they can adjust like Max did.

#31 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:01

Red Bull think they have another Max Verstappen on their hands: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/117662

#32 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:05

When they talk about these guys doing a 'winter test program' I wonder how many days they've done. I know Verstappen did some Renault running(before he was even thinking about F3) but was kind of surprised it was 20+ days.

#33 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:36

How can a 15, 16 and 17 year old be part of professional racing all over the world? Don't they have school?

#34 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:41

Ilott is getting some track time in TRS right now, but he's struggling to be competitive (18th in the standings with a single top 5 from 13 races so far).

How can a 15, 16 and 17 year old be part of professional racing all over the world? Don't they have school?

They probably miss some classes for anything overseas, and I suspect Fridays as well. Most actual racing is at the weekends though, and obviously there are term holidays...

#35 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,813 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 13:30

Update

Wei Fung Thong  (West-Tec; Dallara Mercedes)?

Nicolas Pohler (Double-R; Dallara Mercedes)

Sam MacLeod (Motopark; Dallara VW)?
Mahaveer Raghunathan (Motopark; Dallara VW)?

Sergio Sette Camara (Motopark; Dallara VW)?
Markus Pommer (Ma-Con; Dallara ORECA)?

#36 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 14:59

Ilott is getting some track time in TRS right now, but he's struggling to be competitive (18th in the standings with a single top 5 from 13 races so far).

They probably miss some classes for anything overseas, and I suspect Fridays as well. Most actual racing is at the weekends though, and obviously there are term holidays...

Well I was 18 before I were intimate with a young lady, these guys are in F1 or almost in F1 while they are un-molded templates. There used to be hollers and complaining that the Female Gymnastics were little girls, now the Autoracing ladders are little boys, my balls dropped at 15 they are not 'whole fully mature men' the whole thing needs a re-work.

All said as an old stodgy complaining male.

#37 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 16:07

Well I was 18 before I were intimate with a young lady, these guys are in F1 or almost in F1 while they are un-molded templates. There used to be hollers and complaining that the Female Gymnastics were little girls, now the Autoracing ladders are little boys, my balls dropped at 15 they are not 'whole fully mature men' the whole thing needs a re-work. All said as an old stodgy complaining male.

Thanks to the likes of Red Bull recruiting younger and younger kids, you practically have to be in cars by 15 to have a chance at F1, as well as money. Max Verstappen's girlfriend (https://twitter.com/...838199232692224) is a 20 year old mechanical engineering student, and has yet to make the transition from karting due to a lack of financial backing.

#38 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 16:22

Not really on topic, but I am of the belief Jos Verstappens F1 career would have been more successful had he not been rushed into the Benetton seat too soon. All these young ones can have career at the top more or less finished by age 20.

#39 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,928 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:01

Will be interesting to see how new Red Bull Jr recruit Callum Ilott will perform, and he can fight against one of his arch rivals in karting, Alessio Lorandi (who I also rate very highly) again.
Illott was one of the smaller guys in height in karting.

Charles Leclerc & Alexander Albon were also karting stars.

PS / edit: I was confusing Callum Ilot with Lando Norris, who is also a young talent from the UK, he is the one with small heigh. Norris will do Formula 4 in UK this year.

Edited by William Hunt, 25 February 2015 - 23:59.

Advertisement

#40 lars75

lars75

• 1,123 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:59

Well Max told van Amersfoort to get Lorandi as his follow up! Max believes Lorandi has it all to reach the same level as he did. With leClerq next to him, VAR has a great couple of drivers for this season.

Ilott is now in the TRS, but if you compare the results of pre season testing as for the results in the TRS in comparance to Max his performances last year, ther is still a step to make. But he is talented!

#41 Emilvang

Emilvang

• 965 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 13:10

When does the season start?

#42 MNader

MNader

• 452 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 13:50

Albon has a good record, i would keep an eye on him

#43 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 17:39

When does the season start?

10th April at Silverstone.

#44 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,813 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 19:41

Update:

Brandon Maïsano (Prema Power; Dallara Mercedes)

Wei Fung Thong (West-Tec; Dallara Mercedes)?
Nicolas Pohler (Double-R; Dallara Mercedes)

Markus Pommer (Motopark; Dallara VW)
Sam MacLeod (Motopark; Dallara VW)
Nabil Jeffri (Motopark; Dallara VW)

Mahaveer Raghunathan (Motopark; Dallara VW)

??? (Ma-Con; Dallara ORECA)?

#45 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,928 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:53

Prema and Van Amersfoort have an amazing line-up. Carlin also two hot talents with Russell & Illot. Pommer should in theory also be reasonably competitive as reigning German F3 champion, he is also experienced. Giovinazzi (also Carlin) remains title favourite for me.

#46 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:11

Rosenqvist signs for Prema... didn't see that coming!

#47 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:14

Rosenqvist signs for Prema... didn't see that coming!

Yep definitely was taken aback a bit like that, is this is 5th year in F3 now?

#48 SirVanhan

SirVanhan

• 155 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:21

My prediction: Stroll will win the title thanks to Maisano's help. It already happened in Italian F4 and Toyota Series. Also other drivers have reported that Stroll Sr buy teams and better equipment to his son, so why bother.

#49 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,813 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:23

Prema and Van Amersfoort have an amazing line-up. Carlin also two hot talents with Russell & Illot. Pommer should in theory also be reasonably competitive as reigning German F3 champion, he is also experienced. Giovinazzi (also Carlin) remains title favourite for me.

Pommer wasn't  very impressive in Auto-GP...

#50 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:23

Yep definitely was taken aback a bit like that, is this is 5th year in F3 now?

Surprised that Mercedes didn't place him in DTM.