The Bombhole at Snetterton

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 14:26

Dear All,

an idle thought came to me today, whilst I idled my time looking at some articles on the 'net regarding rallycrossing  at snetterton.There seem to be several pictures of rallycross vehicles negotiating a large mud filled hole on what I have learned was used as the track in those halcyon days.

Could this have been dug for this purpose and at some future point tarmacced over,to then become the Bombhole?

This assumption may of course be a figment of my fertile imagination,but please offer your opinions.

Regards to all

carrotcruncher. 

Advertisement

#2 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 17:32

Surely the Snetterton track predates rallycross?

#3 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 17:58

From the Snetterton website:

In early 1954 the circuit owners Oliver Sear & Fred Riches called in contractor Ben Wyatt to 'fix' this problem, but they decided to create a slight banked corner with a man-made dip, to add a bit of variety to the lap. When the new Esses were sited at the end of the Revett Straight in 1974,  (now called Brundle& Nelson ), for many years this bend with the dip by the grandstand had no name. Folklore says that the bike races found it a great challenge where several fell off..it became known as a 'Bumhole' of a corner, a name which stuck.

Of course commentator Norman Greenway could not use that name so in the early 80s the 'Bombhole' was born. But another problem was created due to bad drainage and the bombhole has often become a waterhole!

Many think the dip was from a wartime bomb, but Snetterton Heath airfield was never attacked and no bomb ever fell there

#4 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 20:25

For a good history of Snett. and a wonderful series of period photographs, try a search on TNF for Snetterton Memories
Roger Lund

#5 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 15:21

Thanks to all,

especially BRG who pointed the obvious(doh) and I have read the Snetterton Archive which fully explained the score.I DID warn you that I had a fertile imagination. Anyway,I assumed all y

ou clever clogs would be out shopping. :stoned: :stoned: :stoned: :stoned: :eek:

Wish you all a safe and peaceful Xmas.

Regards carrotcruncher