* * * * * 1 votes

Documentary: Fernando Alonso ... My Last Race for Ferrari

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:52

Here is the fantastic Spanish TV documentary about Fernando  Alonso's last race for Ferrari. Part 1 was posted in an earlier thread that has since been locked. Most of the audio is in Spanish. Originally, the videos were posted without English subtitles. Part 1 was translated some time ago. Part 2 has been translated and was posted today. Enjoy! I did. 

It's something I think many of you will enjoy, whether or not you're a fan of Alonso or Ferrari, imho, because it provides such a great look behind the scenes at what a driver's life is really like during an F1 GP weekend.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Edited by AustinF1, 21 December 2014 - 11:44.

Advertisement

#2 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:59

Great documentary, not only for Alonso fans but for any F1 fan. Kudos to Alex_riveiro for the subtitles :up:

#3 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:03

Incredible, thanks for this.

#4 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:28

So if Alonso believes Ferrari will be strong next  year, why did he leave?

#5 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:38

So they guy decided to make a nice comment about the team he spent his past 5 years, a "I wish you the best" of sorts, instead of saying "I am leaving Ferari because they suck". Is that so wrong? There's no win for him, as if he had say "I am leaving because Ferarri sucked and will suck again" I am quite sure that wouldn'yt have gone down too well.

#6 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:46

So they guy decided to make a nice comment about the team he spent his past 5 years, a "I wish you the best" of sorts, instead of saying "I am leaving Ferari because they suck". Is that so wrong? There's no win for him, as if he had say "I am leaving because Ferarri sucked and will suck again" I am quite sure that wouldn'yt have gone down too well.

Yep. I also believe he has genuine affection for the Ferrari family and is trying not to burn that bridge for many reasons.

#7 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,823 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:19

Alonso chooses his words quite carefully - he says of Ferrari "in time they will win". He does not say that they will win next year - just that they will be strong. I think he is absolutely right. Ferrari will win again at some time in the future - the question is when? Alonso's dilemma is that the clock is ticking. He wants at least one more WDC before he retires but it is far from clear that Ferrari will be back in a position to score wins consistently before he hangs up his helmet.

#8 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 13:41

Awesome doc, i've been waiting to see one with english subtitles. Thanks!

#9 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 21:16

Beautiful...
Wish him so much luck in the future

#10 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 3,714 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 22:53

He just said the contrary before leaving, he said he saw their plans and was not convinced.

#11 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 23:15

Because it would be too easy for him. Next year they'll build a car even Vettel & Raikkönen can win in, so he felt he wasn't needed anymore and went on to save the next team in troubles.

#12 exmayol

exmayol

• 558 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:47

Just watched the first part. Great stuff!!!

#13 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:21

This is exceptional viewing and I think it's quite brave of Alonso to open up in this way, particularly as he talks about how every move he makes whilst at the circuit is judged and/or analysed. I was already a fan, and this film helps cements my view.

#14 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:53

Yep. I also believe he has genuine affection for the Ferrari family and is trying not to burn that bridge for many reasons.

Many reasons. Now he finishes unfinished business at McLaren, then only the unfinished business at Ferrari remains...

#15 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:13

Fantastic documentary whether you are a fan of Fernando's or not.

#16 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,510 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:30

Wow, that was awesome :) Really enjoyed!

#17 Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• 61 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:26

Thanks for posting the links OP.

I'm not a fan of Fernando but really enjoyed the documentary :)

#18 kamikaze1

kamikaze1

• 1,000 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:13

It is an amazing documentary without subtitles. 

With subtitles, extraordinary documentary.  

Hats off to Fernando.  I now feel bad for anyone here that stated as fact that the Ferrari crew hated him over the years.   Much thanks to the translator, albeit the adverts got tiresome ;) 

#19 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,928 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 13:32

Very good documentary!

It´s easy to understand why he fitted well with Ferrari. An very emotional / passionate man but also with an huge ego.

It was funny when he watched the race afterwards and commented how he was blocked at the start and that "revenge is best served cold"  :rotfl:  :stoned:

Advertisement

#20 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 16:34

Very good documentary!

It´s easy to understand why he fitted well with Ferrari. An very emotional / passionate man but also with an huge ego.

It was funny when he watched the race afterwards and commented how he was blocked at the start and that "revenge is best served cold"  :rotfl:  :stoned:

To say that of a F1 driver is like "wow, this fish can swim!".  :D 

#21 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 17:01

Fantastic look behind the scenes.  :up:  :up:

#22 DeVol

DeVol

• 1,098 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 20:39

Great doco but the constant, overly dramatic music was a bit overdone.

#23 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 21:34

Great doco but the constant, overly dramatic music was a bit overdone.

They always do that and I hate it.  

#24 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 21:58

I found it pretty dull. There's very little car/race footage(understandable) and almost no behind the scenes with the race team(and they wouldn't want to be filmed). So it's over an hour of Fernando sitting around with very little to do. It probably didn't help that it was a race weekend where he got almost no practice time. But even qualifying was covered as an afterthought.

#25 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,304 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 23:20

I was looking for an English subtitle version of the video thanks mate. By the way, I love these kinds of things in F1. You can see how the things are behind the scene and you understand things better. I really hope he'll have lots of success with McLaren 

#26 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 23:46

I found it pretty dull. There's very little car/race footage(understandable) and almost no behind the scenes with the race team(and they wouldn't want to be filmed). So it's over an hour of Fernando sitting around with very little to do. It probably didn't help that it was a race weekend where he got almost no practice time. But even qualifying was covered as an afterthought.

I'm quite sure that car footage or coverage of practice/qualifying was not the idea here. That's what we can see every weekend, so how would that be interesting? This was behind the scenes Alonso, it was exactly what I expected from it to be honest.

#27 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:30

Really enjoyed that. Can't help but be struck at the end by how much more revered by the mechanics Alonso is than Kimi - despite the fact he's the one leaving in somewhat acrimonious circumstances.

We don't get enough of this kind of thing. It's really great to get an insight into a driver's mind when he's not in boring PR mode - that, to me, was more interesting than seeing what Alonso gets up to over the course of a weekend. He's an interesting guy, thoughtful, a little shy if anything. I think the word Pat Symonds used was 'focused'. That sums him up to a tee. Driven.

#28 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:06

I'm quite sure that car footage or coverage of practice/qualifying was not the idea here. That's what we can see every weekend, so how would that be interesting? This was behind the scenes Alonso, it was exactly what I expected from it to be honest.

You could have shown what goes on in the garage during the sessions, played extra radio, went into engineering discussions etc. But clearly they were never going to get that. Instead you get a 30 minute show stretched into 100 minutes. I think there's more footage in the physio room than anywhere else :lol:

#29 prty

prty

• 8,386 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:54

You could have shown what goes on in the garage during the sessions, played extra radio, went into engineering discussions etc. But clearly they were never going to get that. Instead you get a 30 minute show stretched into 100 minutes. I think there's more footage in the physio room than anywhere else :lol:

Well if drivers spend the most time there in between sessions it only makes sense. Footage in the car, meetings, radios... would mean that the focus was on the sporting part, but i am not sure that was the idea.

#30 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:02

I think you missed the point of the documentary.

#31 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:37

This isn't a documentary about how Ferrari work, it's about Alonso and his thoughts on leaving a group of people he has known for 5 years. It's also a chance to see what a driver really does during a race weekend.

Edited by RedOne, 23 December 2014 - 08:14.

#32 fque

fque

• 217 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:38

Just shown how well liked he was at Ferrari.

Brit-media always wanna stir things up bigger that it is, especially against Alonso.

#33 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:14

No we really didn't get to see what a driver does during a weekend. We got to see Alonso waiting for the next session. Not even preparing for them. The early bit was interesting of him getting ready to tell the team and what he's up to on Thursday(which you would expect to be endless hours of nothing going on) and the bit of post-race was good/emotional/inside look. The rest of it was him literally sitting around. Though I did enjoy the moment when he goes into race mode in the physio room. You can see him go into hyper-focus.

And blimey, does he really spend that much time hanging out with the Spanish TV team?

#34 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:53

Great documentary, really enjoyed it. It shows how much he is loved at Ferrari so I would imagine it's tough for him and them to see him go.

#35 HPT

HPT

• 2,077 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 13:37

I think a lot of people missed the point of this documentary. It's an opportunity to get a glimpse of what Alonso is like as a person - behind the mask that he needs to wear as a professional racing driver - and not a technical piece focusing on what goes on during the course of a regular race weekend. This is his last race for Ferrari and the slow pace is an accurate reflection of the poignant mood not just with him but the team as well.

Like any good movie/documentary, the dramatic music simply adds to the mood. After watching it (first time was without sub and I don't understand Spanish) I feel a little saddened that he is leaving Ferrari, and this is exactly what he and the team and feeling about the situation so I feel the documentary did a really good job overall to convey those emotions to the viewer.

It's ok not to like it but at least try to understand what he is trying to achieve here.

#36 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 14:34

Enjoyed watching that.  Nice to see him congratulate Lewis.

#37 Ramses1348

Ramses1348

• 977 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 17:40

Enjoyed watching this very much! 

By the way, can someone tell me who were the two guys hanging around with him and sleeping in his hotel room? I guess I missed that ... 

#38 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 17:48

That were fourtenth and twotenth. He's bringing them everywhere.

:smoking:

#39 prty

prty

• 8,386 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 17:49

Enjoyed watching this very much! 

By the way, can someone tell me who were the two guys hanging around with him and sleeping in his hotel room? I guess I missed that ... 

One is this person: https://twitter.com/lecterhanibal

The other, no idea.

Advertisement

#40 AlexFone

AlexFone

• 120 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 21:38

Just watched this documentary and thought it was excellent. It was a great insight into how things work behind the scenes. We really don't see enough of what goes on behind the scenes. F1 needs to open up more.

Fernando really is a normal guy just like the rest of us. He may be the best driver in the world and yes he knows it but you could see it was such a hard decision for him to leave Ferrari, there really was no bad feeling towards him from the Ferrari team.

#41 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 22:08

Seems like a proper normal bloke

#42 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 23:15

No we really didn't get to see what a driver does during a weekend. We got to see Alonso waiting for the next session. Not even preparing for them. ...

Was this a comprehensive look at a driver's entire race weekend? No. Was it a lot more than we typically get to see? Hell yes. I believe they emphasized the boring nature of waiting around between sessions for two main reasons:

- The team likely wouldn't allow filming of a lot of the briefings, etc

- that's really what they do for much of their time at the track. Wait.

#43 DeVol

DeVol

• 1,098 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:08

Like any good movie/documentary, the dramatic music simply adds to the mood.

I wonder what the doco would have been like if it used the Benny Hill theme instead?

#44 revmeister

revmeister

• 805 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 13:49

I liked the bit where Alonso mentions that Kimi's room is on the other side of the wall, as they proceed to play basket ball against it.
I think Alonso likes to annoy Kimi.

#45 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 15:51

It was a great video. I wished there was a lot more of this stuff available. I was watching my apple tv the other day and I came across the redbull channel where they have a very nice docummentary of Daniel Ricciardo and Vergne when they were racing in formula 3.5 but that was from 4 years ago and I don't know why they wouldn't do something similar for F1.

Watching this made me enjoy F1 even more .. Alonso is a regular down to earth guy who watches and comments about the races just like us - that is the impression I got when the race is over and he goes back to his room to watch the start and asks questions..

I can only imagine how the level of enjoyment is exponentially multiplied for them compared to us when they watch themselves pulling an overtaking manuever, etc. Doing what you've always loved and are so passionate about and to be rated as the best in the world at what you do, while at the same time getting paid a **** load of money, most be inmesily satisfying.

The super-focus part as he puts on his gear and jumps into the car was also pretty cool to watch. I saw it as a trasformation in character as he becomes more of a relentless beast from Mr. nice guy.

#46 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 967 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 17:37

What is the name of the song of the opening montage of the documentary? Thanks.

BTW, a very nice documentary.

#47 drag

drag

• 162 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 20:32

It was refreshing to watch this documentary.

I love to see similar staff about all the other drivers something like tv series every GP weekend documentary about one driver , no PR bullshit .

#48 Breogan

Breogan

• 31 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 21:29

What is the name of the song of the opening montage of the documentary? Thanks.

BTW, a very nice documentary.

If you like this kind of music look for tracks from "Two Steps From Hell" or "Audiomachine". They are studios that make music clips for use in movie trailers and such.

This one in particular is Nero, from Two Steps From Hell.

#49 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 967 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:57

If you like this kind of music look for tracks from "Two Steps From Hell" or "Audiomachine". They are studios that make music clips for use in movie trailers and such.

This one in particular is Nero, from Two Steps From Hell.

Thanks mate, very helpful.  :clap:

#50 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:31

This was hell of a good watching. Amazed he deep into F1 communicty they let camera go. Very unusual, lots of stuff had to be FOM authorized.Great idea.

Spanish folks, let me pls know whether this is going to be available in the form of DVD anytime soon. Thanks!  :kiss: