Photo
- - - - -

Lotus F1 2015 challenger - E23 hybrid (powered by AMG)

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#1 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 14:46

BIG CHANGES FOR 2015

key points ...  for those living in a cave

1. Lotus F1 Team will be supplied with Mercedes-Benz Power Units by Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains (HPP) based in Brixworth, UK. The Power Unit will use Fluid Technology Solutions developed by PETRONAS, the technology partner of Mercedes-Benz.

2. Lotus F1 Team will continue to design and manufacture its own transmission at its Enstone base where work is already underway on the team’s 2015 challenger, the E23 Hybrid.

Matthew Carter, CEO, Lotus F1 Team.

“We are pleased to have been chosen by Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains in a significant long term deal” “We intend to return to the front of the field with the goals of winning Grands Prix and being a strong championship contender once more and we see this new agreement as one step towards this aim.

“The Mercedes-Benz Power Unit has shown good performance on track and it is our goal to marry this motive force to Enstone’s chassis expertise. It is our desire that the E23 Hybrid, powered by Mercedes-Benz, heralds a new era of success for Enstone. At this juncture we would also like to thank Renault, who have been so closely associated with the team over its history and for the joint success we have achieved together.”

Andy Cowell, Managing Director of Mercedes AMG HPP added:

“We are delighted to welcome Lotus F1 Team as a customer of Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains from the 2015 season. Lotus F1 Team is a strong technical group with excellent facilities and I am confident that together we will deliver a step forward in track performance next year.

Toto Wolff, Head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport.

“In 2014, the organisation at Brixworth has demonstrated that it can support three customer teams to the high standards expected of Mercedes-Benz, in addition to our focus on the works Silver Arrows. We are very pleased to have the opportunity to continuing doing so from 2015, as we seek to make further gains in both performance and reliability.”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           “It was strategically important for Mercedes-Benz to continue to supply three customers throughout this generation of Power Unit, in addition to the primary focus on our Silver Arrows works team, and it was therefore clear that we would be looking for a new customer from 2015,Lotus F1 Team is an impressive organisation that has delivered competitive on-track performances in recent seasons. We are pleased to welcome them to the Mercedes-Benz family and look forward to building a productive and performant working relationship in the years ahead.”

Edited by eronrules, 21 December 2014 - 14:54.

Advertisement

#2 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 14:57

BTW, possible 2015 nose ... trialed on E22

ta_article_1236.jpg

#3 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,304 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 18:53

Lotus is pretty much the only team where I expect a step forward in terms of position in the championship. They still have good designers there, and with the Mercedes engine they should easily move ahead of Sauber and Toro Rosso, and take the fight to Force India.

#4 Timothy

Timothy

• 629 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 20:14

^^^^ Agreed..and with a half decent chassis and aero package, they could even be mixing't/beating the likes of Ferrari and Mclaren if rumours are to be believed in the advances made on the Merc unit.

#5 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:12

bad news for LotusF1  :(

WILLIAMS GRABS SECOND LOTUS SPONSOR IN A WEEK AS TEAM PUSHES FOR THE FRONT AGAIN

Last week Unilever joined the fold with its Rexona brand and today Williams announced that it has signed up Avenade, a global business technology, cloud and managed services provider.
Both brands have been with Lotus for the past few years, but a combination of poor results on track this year, uncertainty over the team’s future, lack of information about what is going on as well as Williams’ history and resurgence seems to have won them over.
 for Lotus, the slide from 4th in the Constructors’ table last year last year to 8th this year will cost them over €20 million, plus the additional loss of income from these departing sponsors.

#6 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 968 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:33

And PDVSA was downgraded by Fitch last week. Pastor's funds are starting to look a bit wobbly. 

#7 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:57

And PDVSA was downgraded by Fitch last week. Pastor's funds are starting to look a bit wobbly. 

http://www.businessw...CCC#.VJk9BP8K8A

don't worry, if any MAL is the reason for the downgrade :smoking:

(and do the haters really want Lotus to quit F1 just because of MAL?) strange people out there! :confused:

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 23 December 2014 - 10:00.

#8 danmills

danmills

• 3,147 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:34

Enstone will bounce back, they always have a knack of putting together something decent every few years.

With the Mercedes engines I expect they should happily be scooping points. Not sure about Maldonado, but Grosjean should gave the juice to be biting Williams' ankles.

I am not sure Williams have the ability to develop as fast, would love to be proven wrong!

Edited by danmills, 23 December 2014 - 11:35.

#9 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:06

At Best fighting Force India for 6th no more no matter how terrible Ferrari/Macca/Williams season is, and some how after watching all the staff leave last year and this year all
The sponsors im wondering if Maldonado is considering stop using number 13.

#10 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,022 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:51

At Best fighting Force India for 6th no more no matter how terrible Ferrari/Macca/Williams season is, and some how after watching all the staff leave last year and this year all
The sponsors im wondering if Maldonado is considering stop using number 13.

You're getting wrong.

Sponsors losses (17 million €) are covered by PDVSA bucks so cash inccome compared to the end of 2013 is stronger.

Also they no longer have to pay Kimi's salary which took a sizeable chunk of the budget and Mercedes PU is cheaper than Renault.

In terms of staff, they had to downsize their as they are no longer a manufacturer team but 470 people is already a good number of people.

In the US Gp,Brazilian GP, Abu Dhabi GP Lotus was fighting with with Toro Rosso with a downgraded engine compared to the Red Bull Cars. They were near the points. 

In brazilian GP , Lotus took wrong strategy but they ended up only 6 seconds behind Kvyat.

At Abu Dhabi Maldonado without its fire or Grosjean without its penalty (+ earlier blue flags) would have mixed up with the Ferrari's.

Edited by Viryfan, 24 December 2014 - 10:57.

#11 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 16:21

You're getting wrong.

Sponsors losses (17 million €) are covered by PDVSA bucks so cash inccome compared to the end of 2013 is stronger.

Also they no longer have to pay Kimi's salary which took a sizeable chunk of the budget and Mercedes PU is cheaper than Renault.

In terms of staff, they had to downsize their as they are no longer a manufacturer team but 470 people is already a good number of people.

In the US Gp,Brazilian GP, Abu Dhabi GP Lotus was fighting with with Toro Rosso with a downgraded engine compared to the Red Bull Cars. They were near the points.

In brazilian GP , Lotus took wrong strategy but they ended up only 6 seconds behind Kvyat.

At Abu Dhabi Maldonado without its fire or Grosjean without its penalty (+ earlier blue flags) would have mixed up with the Ferrari's.

According to the FIA entry list they are subject to confirmation which means they havent even paid the entry fee.

#12 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,022 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 17:14

It does mean nothing.

In fact there could be many reasons.

And you are not responding to my answer which is quite weird to say the least.

Edited by Viryfan, 24 December 2014 - 17:18.

#13 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 19:51

They paid Kimi finally this month (according to a few news sites). Have changed to more cost effective motors. Have PDVSA money and have let a good number of staff go.

Also lost a few sponsors, but still should be on a more healthy economical ground I'd guess.

#14 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,304 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:24

According to the FIA entry list they are subject to confirmation which means they havent even paid the entry fee.

Doesn't say anything. On that entry list, the FIA has even listed Manor and Caterham.

#15 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,022 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:49

https://twitter.com/...245782109310976

So here is the engine cover of E23.

Engine fired up, 32 days earlier than 2014.

So all seems much quieter than last year.

Should be at Jerez.

#16 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:29

https://twitter.com/...245782109310976

So here is the engine cover of E23.

Engine fired up, 32 days earlier than 2014.

So all seems much quieter than last year.

Should be at Jerez.

what make you believe this is the engine cover?

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 01 January 2015 - 12:30.

#17 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,022 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:33

https://formula1tech...jpg?w=400&h=312

here is why

#18 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:34

Omnicourse is reporting that the reason their entry is subject to confirmation is nothing more than a change in name: "more likely is that the name change would only be the adding of a sponsor like PDVSA or Total"

#19 Hkruijf

Hkruijf

• 75 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:23

I am not sure Williams have the ability to develop as fast, would love to be proven wrong!

According to Pat Symonds, Williams actually developed their car the most in 2014. He stated that is you compare all cars relative to Mercedes, Williams closed the gap the most over the season.

Whether this is fully true I don't know. But honestly Williams did a great job on developing their car. I'm not so sure Lotus can match that..

Advertisement

#20 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:19

It does mean nothing.

In fact there could be many reasons.

And you are not responding to my answer which is quite weird to say the least.

I apologize i didn't notice i quote you when i post that but instead i wanted just to post that comment (sometimes i post on the iPhone and lose track of what I'm doing, i am very distracted sometimes), but in answer to your previous comment yes the 30 M that PDVSA gives to Lotus is a lot compared of what Lotus received back in 2013 but lets consider this, Lotus ended 8th in the WCC and somewhere i read that the prize for 8th is around 20 M so thats 10 M less, also we must consider that Lotus lost to Williams two heavy sponsors Unilever (Rexona) and Avenade, i don't know how much they provide to Lotus but it should be also a huge chunk of money also i haven't heard of Lotus bringing any new sponsors for 2015 so even Lotus sort some of its financial problems i don't see a lot of resources for them next season.

Of course i see Lotus in a more stable position than in 2013 but to see a Williams esque revival next season its very very very unlikely, yes they have the Merc PU and of course it will be the best of this generation of cars, but as in 2015 Ferrari and Renault are allowed to improve their PU so thats a disadvantge to them compared if they have used Mercedes since 2014, i see Red Bull and Ferrari closing the gap to all Mercedes customer teams, i don't think there is a chance Lotus with its reduced staff as you mentioned would produce a car that outperforms the RB, even they are now in a better economic situation i don't see Lotus getting anywhere near Ferrari in terms of resources thereby i don't dare to say Lotus will beat Ferrari in 2015, now talking about Honda, yes its a big question mark but lets imagine McLaren produces a car as bad as the 2013/2014 even with that (which is unlikely) i don't see Grosjean even less Maldonado on the same level as Alonso and Button, so i don't think Lotus would be fighting them either, Lotus won't be fighting Mercedes, McLaren, Ferrari nor RB next season probably Williams if they produce a very bad car but thats another question mark.

My safe bet goes to say that Lotus will beat for India in the WCC for the 6th place but its gonna be an interesting battle for the midfield, because we need to consider that it took Lotus with all the staff and resources 2 years according to Eric Boullier to produce the 2014 car which failure according to the Lotus staff were not only related to the engine but to the car design also, and now that they changed engine they need to start from zero in just 8 months with less staff than before and limited resources.

#21 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,126 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 18:17

'Tis the season for livery concept drawings; here's one by Bruce Thomson:

thomsonstudio_2015_lotus.jpg

#22 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 02:19

'Tis the season for livery concept drawings; here's one by Bruce Thomson:

thomsonstudio_2015_lotus.jpg

Like, the colors looks vintage to me, still based on the nose tested in japan i don't think thats the nose for the 2015 car and also designer should have removed "Clear" they are with williams now, also i read this morning the reason they had an * in the fia entry its because they were Late in Payments for their entree fee, nothing new in Lotus but its clear their financial are not as good at some years before.

Edited by emmanuelrubi, 09 January 2015 - 02:19.

#23 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 16:01

B6lJHPBCIAAQPl4.jpg

Follow

Here's another #sneakpeek of the #E23 for you all! Somewhat slightly reminiscent of the #E22 we think...

hmm ... these must be Maldonado specific parts ... front and rear bumpers   ;)

#24 eREr

eREr

• 2,541 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:12

Homologation tests have been passed by the E23 recently and here's another piece of the car (from twitter):

https://pbs.twimg.co...TMMIgAAJBdC.jpg

Edited by eREr, 16 January 2015 - 12:13.

#25 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 21:00

Ooo, new steering wheel and first tub shot?

https://twitter.com/...117791519293440

#26 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 00:05

Not seen this posted anywhere (apologies if it has been)

Jolyon Palmer named as Lotus reserve driver for 2015 - http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/30899155

The team say Palmer will drive in a significant number of first free practice sessions and will attend all races and tests throughout the season.

Edited by Exb, 21 January 2015 - 00:05.

#27 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 17:09

Let's hope he gets more work than Valsecchi!

#28 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:04

Here she is! Pleased To Meet You - First look at the E23 Hybrid: bit.ly/15KOlfY #GottaKissMyselfImSoPretty

B8SACsGCcAEO3tr.jpg

#29 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:06

B8SAoExCYAAp0ZC.jpg

#30 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:07

Lotus F1 Team is proud to present its 2015 challenger; the E23 Hybrid. 

http://www.lotusf1te...the-e23-hybrid/

#31 loki0420

loki0420

• 997 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:07

So it IS possible to design a car with sensible nose!

#32 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:10

Ah, the new Lotus. Everything looks like it's in the right place, so they've got that going for them.

#33 rjsports

rjsports

• 573 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:11

That actually looks pretty good, also like the new(ish) livery.

#34 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,683 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:11

Ah, finally a car that doesn't make me want to stick pins in my eyes!

#35 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,799 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:13

http://www.lotusf1te...unchcamera2.jpg

e23_2015-launchcamera2.jpg

Uhhh... triple air intake on roll hoop

Edited by JRodrigues, 26 January 2015 - 14:14.

#36 Christbiscuit

Christbiscuit

• 354 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:17

Asymmetrical rear end too, just like last year.

#37 B3ndy

B3ndy

• 162 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:17

So it IS possible to design a car with sensible nose!

Am I the only one that sees some odd tapering from the nose to the main cell of the car? Its like its had major plastic surgery to pull the cheeks in just below the suspension? 

#38 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:19

On a purely aesthetic appraisal; what a handsome and well liveried car.  :up:

#39 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,861 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:23

Looks great.
Thin nose, a lot of black on the sides. 

Advertisement

#40 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:24

The nose looks good, I'm probably just bored of the livery as I don't find it appealing anymore for some reason.

#41 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:25

Very good looking!  :up: Nice shapes and colors.

What's up with the triple airbox intake? 

#42 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:26

outta nowhere!

#43 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:27

Lotus opt for a short narrow nose, with an interesting step underneath the tip

While the new Lotus E23 Cooling set up has side inlets beside the roll hoop to feed down to a cooler over the gearbox

Lastly from what we can see McLaren-esque twin canon outlets at the back of the sidepods

#44 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,861 posts

Immagine.jpg

#45 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Am I the only one that sees some odd tapering from the nose to the main cell of the car? Its like its had major plastic surgery to pull the cheeks in just below the suspension?

No - I think it may be similar to last years Ferrari.
Hard to tell from those pics though... still looks pretty good from what they have shown us so far.

#46 Massa

Massa

• 9,971 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:28

Awesome air intake, beautifuly integrated

e23_2015-launchcamera2.jpg

#47 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:28

Lotus says sound financial footing and tech restructure put it on course to challenge Williams

#48 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:30

Ah, a conk.

#49 eREr

eREr

• 2,541 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:33

Good loking car, but not too many sponsors (Total is missing from the car and also from the list of technical partners).

#50 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:40

e23_2015-launchcamera1.jpge23_2015-launchcamera2.jpge23_2015-launchcamera10.jpge23_2015-launchcamera9.jpge23_2015-launchcamera12.jpg

The silly regulations mean the car has to have a blunt nose, however at least Lotus have demonstrated that aesthetically pleasing designs can be achieved.  The one caveat is that the nose on display my not be what the intend to race, with the latter option being less attractive.

The nose a little to steep and shovel-like in profile, but definitely the best I've seen so far.