Photo

How are motor sport stars rated in their own countries?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:07

The Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter recently published their rating of the top 150 Swedish sporting stars of all time. This has made the international news thanks to the footballer Zlatan Ibrahimovic throwing his toys out of the pram because he only placed second behind Björn Borg. The full list may be found here:

http://www.dn.se/spo...-genom-tiderna/

It doesn’t make pleasant reading for motor sport fans. Ronnie Peterson comes in at a lowly 42nd, with Kenny Bräck at 73 and Björn Waldegård at 90. There is no place on the list for World Rally Champion Stig Blomqvist or Grand Prix winners Jo Bonnier and Gunnar Nilsson.

This set me wondering how motor sport stars are rated elsewhere in the world. I don’t know whether any similar ratings have ever been published here in the UK, but feel that at least one from Moss, Clark, Stewart or Hamilton would make the Top 10 – wouldn’t they? Is there any evidence as to how other countries rate their motor sport people compared to their other sporting heroes?

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:11

A poll taken in the U.K. Today, Tim, would probably have Lewis quite high up but in truth, I doubt that a racing driver would rate terribly highly in a football-obsessed country.

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:45

100 Greatest Sports Stars Ever - a worldwide list, compiled in Australia in 2009. Senna at 12, Schumacher at 26, Mick Doohan at 28, Valentino Rossi at 33, Fangio at 53.

The 25 Greatest Athletes of All Time - from Bleacher Report. Very American - inevitably - but ... Bruce Lee? Really??

The Belfast Telegraph has a poll running right now. Vote for Paddy!! Or maybe Joey ...

http://www.belfastte...w-30612289.html

#4 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,050 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:42

A poll taken in the U.K. Today, Tim, would probably have Lewis quite high up but in truth, I doubt that a racing driver would rate terribly highly in a football-obsessed country.

Is the country really football-obsessed or is it just that the TV makes it look that way - particularly as football seems to be just as much a business non-sport as Effone.

My guess is that Stirling Moss still figures in the "who do you think you are, ....  .....?" dialogue when you're stopped for speeding!

#5 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:00

This month maybe, but "fame" is a transient thing, one advantage that footballers have is that they play every week, newspapers fill pages with photos of gurning overpaid planks, rictus snarls once they've scored, but does that really reflect public interest? Maybe my social class is a bit too gin & tonic, but I know not a single person who you could term "a football fan". Like me, most have never attended a game or watched one on TV, and never read a line about it, so is this really a "football-obsessed country? Not in my own, possibly limited, experience.

#6 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:30

When nearly three quarters of a million people will spend upwards of £30 each to watch a football match every weekend of the year, which is probably well above the total number of spectators who watch domestic motor racing live in a season, and certainly well above the total number who watch County cricket in a season (even crowds at the top level of non-league are double that of County cricket in its entirety), then it's fair to say that the sporting population of Britain is football-obsessed.

#7 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:32

Exactly, Ens.

#8 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:33

Is the country really football-obsessed or is it just that the TV makes it look that way - particularly as football seems to be just as much a business non-sport as Effone.

Look at your newspaper - half a dozen pages on football every day, and maybe two pages on other sports except when there is a major event (Test match, Olympics etc).  On TV the only regular weekly sports shows are about football.  So yes, football-obsessed it is.  It has always intrigues me that the sports where we excel get little coverage, while the sports where we are rubbish are given blanket treatment.

As for the Swedes, well there would be something wrong if they didn't place Borg at #1.  And they have Ingemar Stenmark, the skiers's skier, right up there too.  I would have Stig in the top five, but maybe he is too taciturn even for the Swedes, so they have overlooked him, despite being one of the greatest rally drivers of all time.

Who the hell is Zlatan Ibrahamovic anyway?

#9 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:48

Who the hell is Zlatan Ibrahamovic anyway?

I suspect he's one of those "gurning overpaid planks"...

#10 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:01

When nearly three quarters of a million people will spend upwards of £30 each to watch a football match every weekend of the year, which is probably well above the total number of spectators who watch domestic motor racing live in a season, and certainly well above the total number who watch County cricket in a season (even crowds at the top level of non-league are double that of County cricket in its entirety), then it's fair to say that the sporting population of Britain is football-obsessed.

Aye, 'twas ever thus. If you look at pre-war racing - ignoring the Ards TTs, where the crowds were uncountable as they didn't have to pay - the biggest ever paying attendance was the 1938 Donington GP: sixty thousand or so, which wouldn't even fill today's all-seater Wembley. The crowds at most Brooklands meetings were smaller than the average Third Division football match in period - Crystal Palace and Donington did rather better, but they'd still not match the crowd for a home game for Arsenal or Spurs. Maybe not even Birmingham City. :p

#11 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:17

Our record attendance was for an FA Cup quarter-final in 1938.  Variously reported as 66,844 or 67,351.  Even I can remember being part of an over 40,000 crowd at St Andrews (3-0 win against that lot up the road on 27 December 1982, Noel Blake with the 1st, the late Ian Handysides with the 2nd, and Mick Ferguson glancing in a Handysides cross for the third, not that I'm obsessed or anything).

#12 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,300 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:49

One way would be to look at how the Honours system treats racing drivers:

Hawthorn - nothing
Moss OBE, Knighted (in 2000!)

Brabham OBE, Knighted (1979)
Clark OBE
Graham Hill OBE
Surtees OBE
Stewart OBE, Knighted (in 2001!)
Hunt - nothing
Mansell - OBE, CBE (for charity work)
Damon Hill - OBE
Button - MBE
Hamilton - MBE
Franchitti - MBE
Bell - MBE
Coulthard - MBE
McNish - nothing
Watson - MBE

McRae - MBE
Burns - nothing

There are probably others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Jack Brabham was knighted remarkable early for a racing driver; I have heard rumours that this was to help keep rebellious Australians sweet!

Olympians tend to get better treatment - Chris Hoy, Steve Redgrave, Kelly Holmes

Not forgetting Sir Bradley Wiggins.

#13 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 13:48

It's not just here, the Germans don't seem to rate motor sport stars all that highly either.

http://www.inautonew...ds#.VJrDdf8aa80

#14 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 13:55

Now, that list of honours is interesting - not least because Moss received his OBE in the 1959 New Year list: if I hadn't checked, I'd just have assumed it was some time after 1962.

Only a few years earlier, both Moss and Hawthorn had been vilified in the press and parliament for allegedly 'dodging' National Service. We now know that Mike would almost certainly have been rejected on health grounds anyway, but presumably Stirling had been rehabilitated into polite society by then. So - might Hawthorn have turned one down?

And one might infer that Sir Jack's K was in a way a 'second class' knighthood, since it was in the 'ordinary' Australian list, rather than a knighthood in the Order of Australia - a very much more exclusive list!

https://www.thegazet...4/supplement/33

http://www.itsanhono...f_australia.cfm

#15 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 14:06

Chris Nixon records JMH saying of SCM that he had the Order of the Bald 'Ead.  Moss had volunteered for National Service and been turned down, so when the media started digging that up with their Hawthorn accusations, Alfred Moss was very quick to give full disclosure.  Which killed off any such media witch-hunt.

The whole service medical thing seems to have been a total nonsense anyway.  Moss was not fit enough for the Forces yet could win the Mille Miglia.  And Colin Cowdrey was invalided out just before he was picked for England - and ended up with a peerage.  Not quite sure how perennially coming 2nd in a two-horse race entitles one to a Lordship, but cricket has always been the Right Sort, rather than the 'erberts with the football or the gearbox.

#16 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 14:55

The Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter recently published their rating of the top 150 Swedish sporting stars of all time. This has made the international news thanks to the footballer Zlatan Ibrahimovic throwing his toys out of the pram because he only placed second behind Björn Borg. The full list may be found here:

http://www.dn.se/spo...-genom-tiderna/

It doesn’t make pleasant reading for motor sport fans. Ronnie Peterson comes in at a lowly 42nd, with Kenny Bräck at 73 and Björn Waldegård at 90. There is no place on the list for World Rally Champion Stig Blomqvist or Grand Prix winners Jo Bonnier and Gunnar Nilsson.

This set me wondering how motor sport stars are rated elsewhere in the world. I don’t know whether any similar ratings have ever been published here in the UK, but feel that at least one from Moss, Clark, Stewart or Hamilton would make the Top 10 – wouldn’t they? Is there any evidence as to how other countries rate their motor sport people compared to their other sporting heroes?

Having some experience of this region I suspect that motor sports' lowly rating is a combination of the inherent politics of said region and perhaps their media coverage.

#17 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 16:09

The Netherlands is not really a motorsports country, but I was pleasently surprised that fellow sporters chose Max Verstappen as talent of the year.

#18 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,394 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 16:25

One way would be to look at how the Honours system treats racing drivers:

Hawthorn - nothing
Moss OBE, Knighted (in 2000!)

Brabham OBE, Knighted (1979)
Clark OBE
Graham Hill OBE
Surtees OBE
Stewart OBE, Knighted (in 2001!)
Hunt - nothing
Mansell - OBE, CBE (for charity work)
Damon Hill - OBE
Button - MBE
Hamilton - MBE
Franchitti - MBE
Bell - MBE
Coulthard - MBE
McNish - nothing
Watson - MBE

McRae - MBE
Burns - nothing

I think Hunt got one of the biggest honours at all. There was a movie about him and this Lauda guy not to long ago.

#19 Zeroninety

Zeroninety

• 184 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 17:19

Mike Hailwood also got an MBE, plus a George Medal for saving Regazzoni's life. David Purley got the George Medal for his attempt to save Williamson.

Advertisement

#20 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,500 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 17:47

100 Greatest Sports Stars Ever - a worldwide list, compiled in Australia in 2009. Senna at 12, Schumacher at 26, Mick Doohan at 28, Valentino Rossi at 33, Fangio at 53.

I hope that Lance Armstrong wouldn't be so high today.  Surprised that Michael Johnson and Martina Navratilova are so low, but otherwise a good list

#21 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 20:28

Any of these lists are inevitably biased towards the present.  I'm sure many [British] football lists would ignore Tom Finney and Stanley Matthews while boxing lists would ignore Jack Dempsey and Rocky Marciano.  But I do find it surprising the James Hunt didn't get an OBE

#22 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 21:41

The 25 Greatest Athletes of All Time - from Bleacher Report. Very American - inevitably - but ... Bruce Lee? Really??

What a tosser! He couldn't even find a place for Sir Jack Brabham in his "pathetic" top 100...

[PS Bruce Lee? Really??...Yes! Really! if he was still around, I would like to see you say that to his face! :-)]

#23 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 22:29

Slightly surprised that the Australian compiler of this list couldn't find a high spot for Harold Larwood...

#24 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 23:04

Slightly surprised that the Australian compiler of this list couldn't find a high spot for Harold Larwood...

:rotfl: :rotfl:

#25 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 23:29

Australian compiler = Brit!

About Me

I’ve been an editor and journalist 15 years, both in print and online. I completed a post-grad diploma of magazine journalism at Highbury College, Portsmouth, then worked on a B2B title, before going into corporate communications.

In 2000 I went to Australia and stayed a decade. In that time I worked as chief-sub and features editor at a major men’s lifestyle magazine for ACP Publishing, and as managing editor – including web editor – on a new-launch sports and lifestyle title for News Ltd. In between all that, I wrote and edited content for a range of magazines, newspapers and, increasingly, websites, in consumer and B2B.

Ivan Smith

#26 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,465 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 00:06

It's not just here, the Germans don't seem to rate motor sport stars all that highly either.

http://www.inautonew...ds#.VJrDdf8aa80

Pretty stupid article - finishing seventh while not winning the WDC in an Olympic year is rather something else than "almost completely overlooked".

But what do they know about other sports: #8, #9 and #10 -finishing below Nico - are some genuine winning performers as well!  http://de.wikipedia....4_(Deutschland)

#27 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 00:28

Pretty stupid article - finishing seventh while not winning the WDC in an Olympic year is rather something else than "almost completely overlooked".

But what do they know about other sports: #8, #9 and #10 -finishing below Nico - are some genuine winning performers as well!  http://de.wikipedia....4_(Deutschland)

Voted for by journalists, not the public. That really has echoes of the storm in a teacup which was Lewis Hamilton winning this year's BBC Sports Personality of the Year. The bookies, presumably influenced by the journalists, all had Rory McIlroy as a hot favourite. The Great British public on the other hand - who were the ones who actually voted - thought differently. Cue several golfers throwing their toys out of their prams because it was somehow unfair that Rory hadn't won. I think they may have suddenly discovered that most of the Great British public doesn't actually give a flying **** about golf.

And for those who might think Lewis has comparatively little personality (I know there are some of you!) I'd just point out that the 2013 winner was Andy Murray, who is hardly Mister Dynamism.

#28 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 309 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:53

In Argentina, Juan Manuel Fangio is regarded as the best sportsman ever born in this country. We decided it on TV and recently a poll confirmed the result. 

#29 john aston

john aston

• 2,675 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:36

I may be in a minority but the last thing I want is for the general public to take a wider interest in our sport ; I actually prefer it to be relatively marginal and for the  informed enthusiast only . This is why I far prefer a good hillclimb meeting to the great unwashed day out at the crashfest panto which passes for the BTCC. SPOTY is essentially about who was on telly- which is why you will never get a non a mainstream sport winner- eg clay pigeon shooting , dwile flonking etc- no matter the success or 'personality '.

But I was pleased Lewis won but the shameless plug he gave for his girlfriend's panto was toecurlingly crass .

My best motor sporting moment(which I think Mr Pye shares) was watching Jon Milicevic hurling his FJ Cooper T59   through the Hall Bends at Cadwell   at a speed which beggared  belief. Sideways every lap  and utterly entrancing to watch

#30 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:39

The Belfast Telegraph has a poll running right now. Vote for Paddy!! Or maybe Joey ...

http://www.belfastte...w-30612289.html

Nota bene - Schumacher at 26, Fangio at 53. Each to his own, as they say.

#31 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 18:25

In Argentina, Juan Manuel Fangio is regarded as the best sportsman ever born in this country. We decided it on TV and recently a poll confirmed the result. 

The finest driver of all time?  It ought to have been no-brainer, but had it been in the UK, it would have been Maradonna that got the nod.  All credit to Argentina for recognising that they had the best of the best!   :up:

But I was pleased Lewis won but the shameless plug he gave for his girlfriend's panto was toecurlingly crass .

She's a busy girl if she is doing panto as well as Cats.

#32 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 22:36

In the 1960s there was a TV game program in the US called "To Tell the Truth."  The premise was that a  panel of four celebrities would ask questions of three contestants, all of whom posed as the same person, but of which only one, of course, was genuine.  The idea was for the panelists to determine who the authentic person was based on the answers to their questions.  The genuine contestant was sworn to answer truthfully, but the others could lie in order to fool the panel.  (Sorry if that was barely comprehensible).

The point I'm getting to is that in one of the 1961 episodes, Phil Hill, who had just become the first American to become World Driving Champion was the featured contestant.  Not one of the four panelists voted for him as being the actual Phil Hill!  So, not only are (or at least were) racing drivers in the US not especially rated, they aren't even recognized!  Of course, this was more than 50 years ago, and times have changed.  NASCAR drivers are on the TV practically 24/7 so they probably couldn't go unnoticed even if they wanted to.

#33 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:43

In the 1960s there was a TV game program in the US called "To Tell the Truth."  The premise was that a  panel of four celebrities would ask questions of three contestants, all of whom posed as the same person, but of which only one, of course, was genuine.  The idea was for the panelists to determine who the authentic person was based on the answers to their questions.  The genuine contestant was sworn to answer truthfully, but the others could lie in order to fool the panel.  (Sorry if that was barely comprehensible).

The point I'm getting to is that in one of the 1961 episodes, Phil Hill, who had just become the first American to become World Driving Champion was the featured contestant.  Not one of the four panelists voted for him as being the actual Phil Hill!  So, not only are (or at least were) racing drivers in the US not especially rated, they aren't even recognized!  Of course, this was more than 50 years ago, and times have changed.  NASCAR drivers are on the TV practically 24/7 so they probably couldn't go unnoticed even if they wanted to.

S5 E42

Watch To Tell The Truth Phil Hill, Pat Scott, John Caruthers online

Dec 11, 1961

Phil Hill, Pat Scott, John Caruthers

Contestants: Phil Hill, Pat Scott, John Caruthers Panel: Kitty Carlisle, Laraine Day, Ralph Bellamy, Johnny Carson

Season 5, Episode 42

http://www.ovguide.c...-season-5-75871

#34 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:59

You'd think Ralph Bellamy would have recognized Phil Hill...

#35 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:03

Yes, he did appear in a film The Narrow Corner, possibly a reference to the Nürburgring's Karussel following Phil's 3rd place in the 1961 race.

#36 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,640 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:09

Ho, ho, ho, Ens!  Ralph had an impressive acting career before moving into car design, and still found time for a few country/soft rock pop hits with his brothers. Versatile!

#37 john aston

john aston

• 2,675 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 15:38

She's a busy girl if she is doing panto as well as Cats.

Cats, schmats already - it's all panto to me

#38 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 309 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 17:45

When Fangio defeated Maradona: 

https://www.youtube....YNdpNLt98#t=339

Edited by Pablo Vignone, 26 December 2014 - 17:46.

#39 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 18:29

S5 E42

Watch To Tell The Truth Phil Hill, Pat Scott, John Caruthers online

Dec 11, 1961

Phil Hill, Pat Scott, John Caruthers

Contestants: Phil Hill, Pat Scott, John Caruthers Panel: Kitty Carlisle, Laraine Day, Ralph Bellamy, Johnny Carson

Season 5, Episode 42

http://www.ovguide.c...-season-5-75871

Thanks!  I hope the video confirms my memory of 53 years ago!  I'm an Amazon Prime subscriber, now if I could just figure out how to get the darned thing to work.....

Advertisement

#40 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:04

This is a screen grab of a poll currently running on YouGov. By no means scientific, merely a fun one, but perhaps we're not quite as football-obsessed a nation as we think? Even combined, the three football options only exceed Lewis's win by one percentage point. And as for the golf ...

The date at the bottom is the day it went live - this is a snapshot from about 20 minutes ago.

yougov.co.uk%202014-12-27%2011%2048%2037

#41 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:35

The results of the BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards over the years might seem to indicate that athletics is the most popular sport in the UK, as it's provided 17 of the 61 winners since 1954. Motor sport is next with 8 winners, then football and boxing on 5, cricket, cycling and tennis on 4, skating and equestrian on 3, and all other sports 8 between them. Obviously, though, it's more difficult to have one's individual achievements recognised when performing as part of a team.

#42 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:49

To be fair, what football fan is going to vote for Arsenal winning the FA Cup outside Arsenal fans?  From my perspective Bournemouth's 8th goal, setting a new all-time record for Blues, was by far the most memorable sporting moment of the year...

Motor racing from the SPOTY has one big advantage.  The title is decided late in the calendar year.  Lizzy Yarnold winning Olympic gold was in January.  Had she won this month she would have probably taken the award.  A footballer's crowning glory is usually in May.

Where motor racing is hugely under-represented is in the team award.  I don't think anyone has won since BRM.  Mercedes ought to have won this year - and certainly McLaren in 1988...

#43 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 13:18

Apart from Argentina I can not come up with a Motorsports athlete who should be ranked number 1.

Any list compiled in any country will be largely (very) clouded by what is in the daily news, what is being covered and what is fashionable. The list from Sweden show how many of the athletes are fairly current, with my personal opinion that Zlatan should not have been on the list period.

Of the named athletes in the thread, Borg HAD to be the one on top of a Swedish list, Fangio HAD to be on top of an Argentinian list. Any an all lists will be flawed, in a country 1 athlete stands above and beyond any other, as in being a seminal person who define the sport, era and country in one.

I am hard pressed to come up with a Danish candidate as top of the list, but as an example of the fleeting greatness of some Ole Olsen was THE Danish sportsman for some years in the 1970ies, visiting the Spousal Unit's family in Denmark over the holidays the only reason the Nieces will know of him, is that he were the curiosity in Dancing With the Stars some years ago. Obviously Tom Kristensen is HUGE in Denmark these years, but I do not think that will last. Denmark is a Soccer and Badminton nation, passing fads and success will change the idea of 'best ever' as we go along.

Bigger countries will have more strong athletes in many sports, which for them will muddle the waters a lot, does it have to be a 'big' sport?

USA - Babe Ruth? Mohammed Ali?

Belgium: Eddy Merckx?

Italy: Klaus Dibiasi?

:cool:

#44 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 14:12

Apart from Argentina I can not come up with a Motorsports athlete who should be ranked number 1.

Monaco?

#45 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 309 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 14:56

Fangio 23, Maradona 22, Messi 15. 

More detalis:

http://www.poliarqui...f/IC 211014.pdf

#46 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 15:11

Monaco?

Presume you go Chiron, yes I will go with that... :yawnface:

#47 Spaceframe

Spaceframe

• 258 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:41

Danish tabloid Ekstra Bladet published a list of the 100 greatest sportsmen & women today. Quite a few motor fellows on it:

Mickey The Shoe in 6th.

Senna 17th.

Fangio 25th.

Valentino Rossi 43rd.

Prost 47th.

Tom Kristensen 52nd.

Sébastien Loeb 57th.

Tony Rickardsson (swedish!) speedway driver 70th.

Hans Nielsen, also speedway, 81st.

Quite a few - but since they've devoted endless pages to K. Magnussen this year ("Kevin can win in Malaysia"...), it would appear they had to justify their editorial priorities....

#48 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:59

Just scanning the posts, and Fangio, Senna and Schumacher get mentioned in lists, but nothing of Jim Clark. Are memories that short?

#49 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 14:06

Danish tabloid Ekstra Bladet published a list of the 100 greatest sportsmen & women today. Quite a few motor fellows on it:

Mickey The Shoe in 6th.

Senna 17th.

Fangio 25th.

Valentino Rossi 43rd.

Prost 47th.

Tom Kristensen 52nd.

Sébastien Loeb 57th.

Tony Rickardsson (swedish!) speedway driver 70th.

Hans Nielsen, also speedway, 81st.

Quite a few - but since they've devoted endless pages to K. Magnussen this year ("Kevin can win in Malaysia"...), it would appear they had to justify their editorial priorities....

You can't keep us in suspense any longer Spaceframe, where did young Kevin come?

tak dybtfølt.

#50 Spaceframe

Spaceframe

• 258 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 14:26

You can't keep us in suspense any longer Spaceframe, where did young Kevin come?

tak dybtfølt.

Very much an also ran, I'm afraid  ;)