• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fabienne

Fabienne

• 22 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 17:56

Dear Sirs

Is anybody able to answer my questions?

The Porsche had green flames (for better identification). Were they flat or in gloss green?

At the back there were two small, movable wings in white. Between them there was a flap. Was this flap green (seen on so many scale model photos) or metallic grey?

Thank you in advance!!

Max

Advertisement

#2 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 20:11

Dear Sirs

Is anybody able to answer my questions?

The Porsche had green flames (for better identification). Were they flat or in gloss green?

At the back there were two small, movable wings in white. Between them there was a flap. Was this flap green (seen on so many scale model photos) or metallic grey?

Thank you in advance!!

Max

I used a photograph of this car on P247 in Sports Car Racing in Camera 1960-69.

It is of the front of the car which has matt green front wings so perhaps the flap was the same.

#3 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,512 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 20:18

Porsche in period commonly brush-painted matte fluorescent identification panels onto their works cars. Painting quality was not uniform, brush strokes were left plainly visible - utility was everything, finish irrelevant.

DCN

#4 MCS

MCS

• 4,686 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 22:40

I have a colour picture somewhere, but it may take a while to find. I will lookfor you, however.

The Zeltweg 917 car wasn't a factory entry, as I am sure you are aware. The works team had reverted back to the 908, before the magnificent JW period began...

Edited because I can't type on small keyboards. Sorry.

Edited by MCS, 27 December 2014 - 22:43.

#5 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,602 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:22

3 Schlegelmilch photos from the Zeltweg race...

http://www.schlegelm...4/69ZE-X007.jpg

http://www.schlegelm...5/69ZE-X008.jpg

http://www.schlegelm...5/69ZE-X018.jpg

Rob

#6 swintex

swintex

• 542 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 19:54

Porsche in period commonly brush-painted matte fluorescent identification panels onto their works cars. Painting quality was not uniform, brush strokes were left plainly visible - utility was everything, finish irrelevant.

DCN

My immediate thought was fluorescent.

Two things to consider about fluorescent paints: 

The effect doesn't generally photograph well (think of various Marlboro sponsored cars down the years)

In my experience (admittedly greater with screen printing ink than automotive paint), they're generally matt rather than gloss.

There's something very strange about fluo screen ink (and possibly brush applied paint?), it looks like it's going to be very thick, and opaque, but it's actually really very translucent and needs to be backed up with white for best effect (not generally a problem with late 60s Porsches!)

Richard