Photo

George Daszkowski RIP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TEJ

TEJ

• 85 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 20:25

George the well known Canadian motor sport history expert and often TFN poster passed away this morning in Toronto.

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 20:34

Tom, that's awful news. Thanks for letting us know.

#3 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 21:08

Was George "GeorgeTheCar"? If so, this is a great loss as he was an enthusiastic and knowledgeable fountain of information for all things Canadian motorsport.

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 22:14

Yes, he was, Richard. He had been unwell since 2012 - which is why we hadn't seen anything of him. This was the last message from him on CMSHG, which Tom quoted from his Facebook page on December 22nd:

“Just to let you know that my status has changed. I have decided to stop treatment for my cancer. I am now at Ian Anderson House Hospice in Oakville, a truly wonderful place, to live out my remaining days. My sister Helena Is writing this on my behalf and will continue to monitor my site for messages. Thanks for being there during all these years.”

#5 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 22:37

There's a nice interview and picture of him here - http://www.examiner....rt-hall-of-fame - which reminded me of his efforts to get John Duff's efforts better recognised. I remember also George's efforts to point out that Al Pease was a very accomplished, respected driver in Canada (which indeed he was) and was far more than the sum total of his GP efforts.

A real shame. Came across a real nice guy too.

#6 group7

group7

• 548 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:00

This is a real loss, even in ill health, George's passion for preserving Canadian Motor Sport history was unwavering. I first met him when I started volunteering  at the Canadian Motor Sport Hall Of Fame Archives in 2003.

Michael Scott...Ontario Canada

Edited by group7, 05 January 2015 - 04:02.