- - - - -

Question on safety features of V8 supercars

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ronsingapore

ronsingapore

• 103 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 15:05

I have been doing some reading on the V8 supercars and have wondered about the safety features:

I know a few:

1) Installing the rollcage

2) Replacing glass windshield with lexan

3) Window nets

What about the doors? i was watching the Adelaide 2014 race and noticed that Volvo cars' doors could open; whereas NASCAR does not allow that. Does door being able to open or close make a difference?

Advertisement

#2 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 00:38

V8 Supercars have opening doors. Most are gutted and at least in part composite. In a major accident they all tend to fall off!

The cars are a spaceframe with an appropriate body mounted on top. Control suspension, brakes, transaxle.  Chassis are all very similar. At least one Falcon is now a Benz for instance.

While for the most part they resemble road cars they are not in any way.

#3 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 19:23

What about the doors? i was watching the Adelaide 2014 race and noticed that Volvo cars' doors could open; whereas NASCAR does not allow that. Does door being able to open or close make a difference?

I imagine the NASCAR tradition of welding up the doors dates back to its stock car origins when this would have stiffened up an otherwise fairly wobbly bodyshell.  

Now that NASCAR and everyone else uses integral roll-cages that are also effectively the chassis, it is no longer a necessary extra bit of stiffness, but NASCAR is of course very traditionally minded and would never want to give up climbing in through the window.  The Dukes of Hazard would turn on their graves if they did!

#4 munks

munks

• 428 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 19:37

The Dukes of Hazard would turn on their graves if they did!

Heh. But I think only Jesse is actually dead ...

#5 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 17:39

In NASCAR the possibility of a side impact at 200 MPH is very real, while in the Aussie V-8's the odds are much different. So NASCAR has to install very strong side impact protection.

51878d1221550430-rolled-ve-sundays-v8-su

#6 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,501 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 21:10

That is the old Project Blueprint era car.

The current cars are, as Lee points out, separate tube frame chassis with bol on panles - some of which are production or modified production stampings, and others which are made of CF or FRP.

The current car and chassi look like this:

944134-car-of-the-future.jpg

cotf-chassis.jpg

#7 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,501 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 21:12

I think this is teh current NASCAR chassis

q60_w1024_h1024_images_DSCF1025.JPG

#8 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 21:28

That is the old Project Blueprint era car.

The current cars are, as Lee points out, separate tube frame chassis with bol on panles - some of which are production or modified production stampings, and others which are made of CF or FRP.

The current car and chassi look like this:

944134-car-of-the-future.jpg

cotf-chassis.jpg

The 'driver' though is not current. He tries to drive a microphone now.

#9 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,501 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 00:16

Yes.

He was also the head of the CoTF program.

Other safety features for the new cars vs the old is that the driver is closer to the centreline, and maybe a little further back.

The fuel cell is in front of the rear wheels to protect it from rear end collisions.

#10 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:33

Yes.

He was also the head of the CoTF program.

Other safety features for the new cars vs the old is that the driver is closer to the centreline, and maybe a little further back.

The fuel cell is in front of the rear wheels to protect it from rear end collisions.

That one was an accident that should not have happened. The car behind drilled the back of the one in front that it left severe marks from the crank pulley on the diff of the one hit. 

While the tank is reasonably protected now it can still rupture if a hard hit in the side, eg some one comes off the grass at a 90 deg corner. This has actually happened with luckily no fire.

That pic above shows how HEAVY those cars are. Compared with what has always been called an iron junkie, The Nascar frame. Seemingly based on a 50s or 60s chassis!