Spa extends F1 race deal through 2018

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 21:49

http://www.motorspor...al-through-2018

Good to see a classic venue staying in the calendar but I'd love if there were also 19 other tracks as great as Spa.

Advertisement

#2 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 21:52

It's not great anymore.

#3 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 21:53

It's not great anymore.

But still greater than any other track in F1.

#4 Victor

Victor

• 1,004 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 22:04

Still my favourite track.

#5 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 22:31

It's not great anymore.

But it's still one of the best :D

#6 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 22:36

That's odd. Normally we'd have rumours of return to France or the Netherlands, followed by comments by Bernie that we don't really need Spa, before the extension is inevitably signed a week before the last contracted race.

#7 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 00:02

Good to see a classic race still on the calender 

#8 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,807 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 00:36

One of my favourite tracks

#9 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:10

Yes, thank you very much Mr. Eccleston!

@ P123

It is not the same, but it wasn't the same as it was once for sometime... and still one of the most demanding (cojones!) tracks.

#10 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:26

Does Spa really have a Spa nearby?

#11 paultheoctopus44

paultheoctopus44

• 43 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:39

Thank god, i went there last year it was unbelievable, the scenery was amazing, the food was great, the town in Belgium could be rivaled with best, it was just amazing, i hope to go again  :up:  :up:

#12 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 944 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:01

Yes, the nearby town of Spa does have natural cold springs.

As for the race, good to see it staying on the calendar, although only until '18? That's hardly a long term contract extension.

#13 Drinky

Drinky

• 1,084 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:46

The English word "spa" was named after the nearby Belgian town of Spa. It has been a popular resort for many centuries.

Edited by Drinky, 11 January 2015 - 12:47.

#14 Cozzie

Cozzie

• 171 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:54

yes it does have a great big spa aka 'thermen' as they're called there - on  a steep hill which  you access via a cable car. I'd heartily recommend anyone to visit the Belgian Ardennes, fantastic walks, unspoilt quaint villages and towns, wonderful views and excellent regional cuisine..  if anyone from the Belgain tourist board is reading this can I have my 20% off?

#15 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 13:07

Spa is also the fictional birthplace of Poirot according to Wiki.

Does all of the road for the old, extended circuit still exist?

#16 ch103

ch103

• 2,036 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 13:52

It's not great anymore.

Why is that?  Is this the layout your prefer?

http://commons.wikim...yout_(1922).jpg

#17 Kobasmashi

Kobasmashi

• 734 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 14:41

Spa is also the fictional birthplace of Poirot according to Wiki.

Does all of the road for the old, extended circuit still exist?

I believe most of it does, although I'm not sure you can get all the way through to where (the modern) Stavelot corner opens up towards Blanchimont any more. The Masta Kink is definitely still there!

Edited by Kobasmashi, 11 January 2015 - 14:42.

#18 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 18:23

That's odd. Normally we'd have rumours of return to France or the Netherlands, followed by comments by Bernie that we don't really need Spa, before the extension is inevitably signed a week before the last contracted race.

With Luca gone he will probably troll Monza. Massive riots would ensue, but I would love to see him try. Is that Gp di Roma license still holding?

#19 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 18:55

yes it does have a great big spa aka 'thermen' as they're called there - on  a steep hill which  you access via a cable car. I'd heartily recommend anyone to visit the Belgian Ardennes, fantastic walks, unspoilt quaint villages and towns, wonderful views and excellent regional cuisine..  if anyone from the Belgain tourist board is reading this can I have my 20% off?

My usual brag - I stayed at a campsite in Spa that I stayed at for the 98GP on my way to the eclipse in 99 - I drove my brother down so that he could see the circuit, to find that they had closed the public road to build the stands and were directing traffic onto the circuit at La Source, and up Eau Rouge...  My accellerator foot hit the floor so hard I probably dented it...and I got a cheer from the folk assembling the grandstand...

I was heading to Luxembourg, so after Les Combes, I followed the old track...at a slightly more sedate pace.  I followed the circuit till just past the Masta Kink, then turned back to go on the dual carriageway south...

And I'd concur with everything you've said - great food, great cycling, great walking, lovely scenery, genial hosts (the guy who ran the café on the campsite was a jazz saxophonist wo we sat up drinking with till the wee small hours...)

Advertisement

#20 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 20:53

I suspect hes not talking about the current layout per se, but that all the great and good corners have been increasingly ruined by the quantity of asphalt runoff.

#21 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 20:57

It is a shame that such a great track has to suffer negotiating every few years to retain a Formula One race. But at least for now, Spa is going to be on the calender for the next few years. :clap:

And wow, is it ever a great track, possessing elements that challenge and satisfy any driver. La Source, a difficult and awkward tight corner leading to fast speeds. Eau Rouge, no description required, it is truly epic. Les Combes, coming just after a hard braking zone, requiring a quick right, left, then right and balance. Rivage, going on and on and on. Turn 9, even Hamilton says it challenges him every lap. Pouhon, a technical death-trap that will spin you out with any mistake. Fagnes, just like Les Combes, but much faster. Stavelot, even the name is cool. Blanchimont for the brave, and the Bus Stop, which should be renamed the "Chicane of Tears".

This is a bucket list track, and one day I hope to enjoy sharing a few beers with fellow fans at this track.

#22 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 21:48

I went to my first F1 GP at Spa and loved it. With it being given an extension through to 2018, I hope to go again soon!

#23 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 22:49

I suspect hes not talking about the current layout per se, but that all the great and good corners have been increasingly ruined by the quantity of asphalt runoff.

Yep- Spa, IMO, is almost as spoiled now as Monaco is as a challenge. Partly because the cars are maybe a bit too planted to make some corners the challenge that they were (eau Rouge), but mainly because it has been 'Tilked' with all the tarmac run-offs, massively widened exit at La Source, plus that damn awful final chicane. It needs rain.

#24 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,034 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:59

Spa is my absolute favourite track!

#25 tmekt

tmekt

• 1,254 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 00:58

Maybe I'm in the minority but I actually like the current Bus Stop.

Good to hear they extended their contract.