Photo

Lister "Knobbly"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 D28

D28

• 2,025 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 19:14

My information on Lister cars comes from magazine articles and items on the net, like this link from RM Auctions. http://www.rmauction...?lot_id=1060791

It mentions that this 58 prototype Cunningham car was the original "Knobbly" and the nickname came from the curvaceous body style. Knobbly appears to be one of those English expressions not easily translated into N American English. Can anyone tell me how the term describes the body work, who first applied it and if it was ever used by Brian Lister in period.

The article also mentions only 11 Lister-Jaguar "Knobblies" built in period; this would exclude the current continuation cars.

Finally are the Knobbly cars all Lister-Jaguars, and exclude  the later Lister-Chevrolets?

All Lister cars appear to be very coveted as vintage racers and collectors, but a premium seems to apply to the Knobbly models. By simple appearance I can readily agree. 

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 20:23

Walnuts are 'knobbly'.  Knuckles are 'knobbly'. The late Brian Lister devised the concept of shaping the front wings (fenders) and the bonnet (hood) area immediately above the power unit only while minimising the height - and therefore the cross-section and frontal area - of the overall body for his 1958 customer car offering. In particular the body design - part-finalised for Brian by an artist named Cavendish Morton - featured the lowest-possible scuttle area (base of windscreen/windshield) so seating the driver as low as possible while still retaining at least some semblance of adequate forward view.  Some drivers detest the 'Knobbly's restricted forward vision, others aren't bothered by it. The rear deck is more or less on a level with the top of the windscreen/windshield. Compared to the ageing and/or obsolescent cars it confronted in 1958 it proved effective. 'Knobbly'-bodied Listers were both Jaguar and American V8-engined. There are some quite good books available which detail the cars.  Just look beyond the internet...

DCN

#3 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 21:19

There was quite a good book called "Powered by Jaguar" or some such, wasn't there?

#4 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 22:44

Off road tyres are also sometimes referred to as knobbly's and when I last went to a village fate, circa 1989, there was a knobly knee competition among the local mensfolk of which I fortunately was not one. 

Edited by arttidesco, 10 January 2015 - 22:45.

#5 D28

D28

• 2,025 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:18

Walnuts are 'knobbly'.  Knuckles are 'knobbly'. The late Brian Lister devised the concept of shaping the front wings (fenders) and the bonnet (hood) area immediately above the power unit only while minimising the height - and therefore the cross-section and frontal area - of the overall body for his 1958 customer car offering. In particular the body design - part-finalised for Brian by an artist named Cavendish Morton - featured the lowest-possible scuttle area (base of windscreen/windshield) so seating the driver as low as possible while still retaining at least some semblance of adequate forward view.  Some drivers detest the 'Knobbly's restricted forward vision, others aren't bothered by it. The rear deck is more or less on a level with the top of the windscreen/windshield. Compared to the ageing and/or obsolescent cars it confronted in 1958 it proved effective. 'Knobbly'-bodied Listers were both Jaguar and American V8-engined. There are some quite good books available which detail the cars.  Just look beyond the internet...

DCN

Thank you so much, that explains it perfectly. It is the hood (bonnet) rather than the deck which distinguishes a "Knobbly"

I have the book in mind, even had a discreet Christmas feeler list, but my family balked at the +$200 price tag. I will keep an eye out for future sales.

#6 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:01

We Americans say "knobby" when referring to knees and tires. And "tires" when referring to tyres.

#7 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:43

D28, on 11 Jan 2015 - 02:18, said:

Thank you so much, that explains it perfectly. It is the hood (bonnet) rather than the deck which distinguishes a "Knobbly"

I have the book in mind, even had a discreet Christmas feeler list, but my family balked at the +$200 price tag. I will keep an eye out for future sales.

Hard cover £24.40 on Amazon

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 22:25

We Americans say "knobby" when referring to knees and tires. And "tires" when referring to tyres.

Aaah well - never mind.  Nobody's perfect...   :smoking:   

DCN

#9 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:36

Noah Webster's legacy lives on. :mad: