fernando-the-young-drtlugi.jpg

http://www.mclaren.c...o-young-driver/

fernando-double-worlde8ur1.jpg

http://www.mclaren.c...world-champion/

fernando-alonso-part-hlcbl.jpg

http://www.mclaren.c...-new-challenge/

fernando-alonso-part-jkkra.jpg

http://www.mclaren.c...-ferrari-years/

McLaren is making a nice recap of Fernando's career, I think is a good read and a great complement to the "My last race with Ferrari" documentary. I will update the OP when they upload a new part. Looking forward to read what they write about 2007 :lol:

Edited by kosmos, 23 January 2015 - 13:14.

Advertisement

#2 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 13:58

Thanks for the links!

As for 2007,clickng on the link will bring you this:

fatal_error___wallpaper_by_mobutu.jpg

#3 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,614 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 17:52

Thanks for posting this Kosmos. I didn't know the 2nd article had been posted.

Edited by Buttoneer, 16 January 2015 - 00:15.

#4 drag

drag

• 162 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 21:36

While it was clear from his early Minardi days that he is champion in waiting , it is nice reading some quotes from his early racing days. Alonso with impressive speed from the get go in every machinery.

#5 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 21:43

#6 keiichi

keiichi

• 527 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 00:55

It was very enjoyable and all watching him wrestle that car, but this video surely puts it into perspective when he said in the article that it was better to test with the Renault than racing with the Minardi.

#7 HPT

HPT

• 2,102 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:07

That interview is taken directly or almost directly from his bio in his website (maybe it has changed over the years? I'm not sure). But I read it back in 2006 and it's almost word for word. For those who don't want to wait perhaps you can take a look at his website.

Edit: found it. Not word for word but pretty close:

http://www.fernandoa...com/en/bio1999/

The 2007 entry is pretty 'interesting' =D

Edited by HPT, 15 January 2015 - 01:11.

#8 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 13:34

Third chapter is up, link is on the OP.

I like this part:

But, in 2006, he also faced opposition from what he perceived as excessive outside intervention in his championship battle. Renault’s innovative suspension system was banned, plus he picked up penalties at the Hungaroring and Monza. Despite the mounting political pressure he remained sharp and decisive behind the wheel and took the title down to the wire.

Some good quotes about his adaptability and his innate skill to drive anything fast. Next chapter is going to be interesting  :wave: 

#9 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 15:06

Third chapter is up, link is on the OP.

I like this part:

Some good quotes about his adaptability and his innate skill to drive anything fast. Next chapter is going to be interesting  :wave:

This part is quite illumining as well, as it pertains to the question of Fernando's great adaptability. It is interesting to note that Gonzo himself was worried about his capability to drive around problems of a car, although that is what defines nearly all great champions:

"Engineered by Paul ‘Pedals’ Monaghan and Rod Nelson they were full of praise for the man they dubbed ‘Gonzo’ and his brilliant ability to steer around a car’s deficiencies.

“Alonso worries that he drives around problems, but he shouldn’t be too concerned because he can adapt his car over a race distance. You need that quality,” says Monaghan. “At Monza in 2003, he finished with three-quarters of a car [after a start shunt] and still got a point. His ability to adapt to different circuit conditions on new or used tyres makes him a more adaptable and a very competitive driver.”

#10 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,796 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:02

This part is quite illumining as well,  (....)

Also a bit earlier in the article, pity that we have no Kimi/Fernando thread anymore  :p

“Fernando Alonso is part of that class of drivers who never give up, who win races they shouldn’t win,” said former Renault engineer Mike Gascoyne. “He is totally focused when there is pressure, he can be instantly quick and also race something undriveable. He is something very special.”

#11 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:15

Yes, I love quotes from people with experience.  This is my favourite ;)

Stirling Moss: “Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world”

#12 prty

prty

• 8,434 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:38

In the related videos are some very old, and interesting interviews. Funny how he hits out at Ferrari in some. In the first one, carried out just after being confirmed in Minardi and before doing any race "in F1 things happen more outside the track than inside the track I'm realising" :lol:

Edited by prty, 17 January 2015 - 12:42.

#13 Elba

Elba

• 318 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 13:18

Very nice thanks for posting it here!!  :up:

#14 prty

prty

• 8,434 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 13:26

Even if he is, being quick alone doesn't make anyone the best, as reality shows.

#15 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 15:04

Isn't it a bit narcissistic to start quoting people saying how good you are in a "my story" column?

#16 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,796 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 15:25

Isn't it a bit narcissistic to start quoting people saying how good you are in a "my story" column?

If you think so, this one isn't short on self praise either: http://www.kimiraikk...com/profile.asp

A bit silent on 2014 though  :D

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 17 January 2015 - 15:28.

#17 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 16:29

If you think so, this one isn't short on self praise either: http://www.kimiraikk...com/profile.asp

A bit silent on 2014 though  :D

Now Kimi has returned to the Prancing Horse for 2014, and expectations are high; but Kimi’s fans are a loyal as ever and know that the laconic Flying Finn will deliver the goods both on and off the grid.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#18 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,950 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 16:47

He wasn't watching last season then, I gather?  ;)

#19 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,796 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 17:03

He wasn't watching last season then, I gather?  ;)

Quote is from 2001, and nobody sane would deny that Kimi had a great first year at Sauber. Of course Fernando was at Minardi at the time and though I found no quote by Moss we've just seen what other people thought about his performance. For sure both looked like future multiple WDCs in 2001.

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 17 January 2015 - 17:05.

Advertisement

#20 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:21

Thanks for posting, it'll be nice to rewind 9 years and be able to cheer on Fernando again. Its great to see why I was a fan of his all those years ago as 2007 made things difficult, but time has been a healer and my respect has been long restored.  :up:

#21 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,796 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 20:29

2007 part is up!!!

*read*

Edit:

Less info than we already know on Monaco

Nothing at all on Hungary and on the end of Alonso's contract

Lame

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 20 January 2015 - 20:34.

#22 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:43

4th chapter up, very tame as expected.

#23 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:16

Do you really think Alonso wrote it?

#24 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:25

Do you really think Alonso wrote it?

No, but there would have been some sign-off by him or his people at some point.

#25 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 1,183 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:12

No, but there would have been some sign-off by him or his people at some point.

Man, let it go...for someone who really takes issue with Alonso you spend a lot of time commenting on him and reading his stories.

#26 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,915 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:16

I'm sure none of you here are naÏve enough to think that McLaren thought "what's the best way to paint our new, most expensive driver in as bad a light as possible?" as they wrote the article.

That being the case, how can you be surprised that it's all glossed over?

That it was even mentioned is surprising enough.

Perhaps we all need to move on now...it's been 8 years.  :cry:

Edited by Maustinsj, 21 January 2015 - 09:16.

#27 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 469 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 17:30

2007 part is up!!!

*read*

Edit:

Less info than we already know on Monaco

Nothing at all on Hungary.

awesome year by Alonso in 2007 at McLaren.To be defending double World champ and only lose the title by the absolute smallest of margins (1 point to Raikkonen) was really a great year.He had a few bad races like Canada and Japan where he could have scored some decent points to win the title despite bad luck mechanically in Bahrain and France.Don't want to open pandoras box again by delving into the politics of 2007.That takes away from some of Alonso's great moments of 2007 especially his win at Nurburgring passing Massa for the lead and his blistering win at Monza.

#28 DRSwing

DRSwing

• 517 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 19:20

I'm sure none of you here are naÏve enough to think that McLaren thought "what's the best way to paint our new, most expensive driver in as bad a light as possible?" as they wrote the article.

That being the case, how can you be surprised that it's all glossed over?

That it was even mentioned is surprising enough.

Perhaps we all need to move on now...it's been 8 years.  :cry:

Well, maybe not all of us think that it's the driver who will be painted in a bad light if there are more details revealed about the events that took place that year? :)
Though I wouldn't expect McLaren to point the finger at themselves either, so as you said, not surprised that it is all glossed over. And I agree with you that its time to move on. Hope that the partnership this time will yield success for both.

#29 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,796 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 19:54

Well, maybe not all of us think that it's the driver who will be painted in a bad light if there are more details revealed about the events that took place that year? :)
Though I wouldn't expect McLaren to point the finger at themselves either, so as you said, not surprised that it is all glossed over. And I agree with you that its time to move on. Hope that the partnership this time will yield success for both.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well, I just expected their PR department to come up with bolder ways to address 2007, there is much room without necessarily painting anyone in a bad light.

#30 DRSwing

DRSwing

• 517 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 22:05

Yeah, that's what I thought as well, I just expected their PR department to come up with bolder ways to address 2007, there is much room without necessarily painting anyone in a bad light.

That would have been great to see, by being open about it may help to lay to rest some niggling doubt about whether they have truly buried the hatchet. Who knows, perhaps the PR dept did try to come up with more, but possibly after rounds and rounds of vetting, editing and approvals it became what we see here.... Just joking but perhaps not totally impossible looking at the seemingly long and convoluted process the team takes to come up with certain decisions as we have witnessed not so long ago ;)

Anyway, the concluding chapter of this story should be easy for the PR dept since they can certainly pile on high the praise for Fernando's stint at Ferrari, for he was certainly sublime these past five years. As an Alonso-Ferrari fan, it has been hard for me to see him leave my favorite team and it will be so weird to cheer for a McLaren driver this year. But I will certainly be cheering for him to win his 3rd WDC soon with Mc; so that he can then come back to our red team where I believe he truly belongs (one can dream)

#31 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 22:07

awesome year by Alonso in 2007 at McLaren.To be defending double World champ and only lose the title by the absolute smallest of margins (1 point to Raikkonen) was really a great year.He had a few bad races like Canada and Japan where he could have scored some decent points to win the title despite bad luck mechanically in Bahrain and France.Don't want to open pandoras box again by delving into the politics of 2007.That takes away from some of Alonso's great moments of 2007 especially his win at Nurburgring passing Massa for the lead and his blistering win at Monza.

Yep, Nurburgring was fantastic. And Ronny D was as delighted at that victory as he was with Kimi's at Suzuka '05.

#32 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 469 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 23:39

Yep, Nurburgring was fantastic. And Ronny D was as delighted at that victory as he was with Kimi's at Suzuka '05.

True.I remember Ron saying what an incredible job Fernando did keeping it on the island when so many had spun off in the wet and how great he was chasing down Massa and passing  him for the win.

One of my favourite races of all time full of action,surprizes and racing comedy like when Kimi missed the pitlane entrance while leading and had to do another lap on the wrong tyres while everyone else pitted,Winklehoff leading the race for a few laps,The turn 1 sliding fest into the gravel trap,the infamous crane lifting hamilton while he was still in the car! :lol: the changing weather, and  the big sidepod bash between Massa and Alonso for the lead.Epic :cat:

#33 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:17

True.I remember Ron saying what an incredible job Fernando did keeping it on the island when so many had spun off in the wet and how great he was chasing down Massa and passing  him for the win.

One of my favourite races of all time full of action,surprizes and racing comedy like when Kimi missed the pitlane entrance while leading and had to do another lap on the wrong tyres while everyone else pitted,Winklehoff leading the race for a few laps,The turn 1 sliding fest into the gravel trap,the infamous crane lifting hamilton while he was still in the car! :lol: the changing weather, and  the big sidepod bash between Massa and Alonso for the lead.Epic :cat:

You forgot the 'conversation' between Massa and Alonso afterwards.

https://www.youtube....h?v=cMjknmNdvrM

;)

Edited by as65p, 22 January 2015 - 10:19.

#34 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 469 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:35

You forgot the 'conversation' between Massa and Alonso afterwards.

https://www.youtube....h?v=cMjknmNdvrM

;)

That was the icing on the cake of one of the most epic and hilarious races ever. Massa; " You can't complain about me hitting you if you win the race!" :stoned:

#35 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 1,073 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:47

Nice to read, but in italian....he writes mostly about his early days at Minardi and Renault.
At Renault, in his testing year, Alonso even had to get cookies for Trulli :D
http://www.automoto....ndo-alonso.html

Ciccarone is always a good read when he writes about Alonso, in contrary to most other colleagues of him in his country.

#36 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:39

The fifth and final chapter of Fernando's 5-part biography. Full story here: tinyurl.com/mrrqprc

#37 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 13:21

The fifth and final chapter of Fernando's 5-part biography. Full story here: tinyurl.com/mrrqprc

A little short, there is so much epic and tears in his 5 years at Ferrari, I think they should have written a little more. But good work making a quick recap of his career :up:

#38 DRSwing

DRSwing

• 517 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 16:13

Nice to read, but in italian....he writes mostly about his early days at Minardi and Renault.
At Renault, in his testing year, Alonso even had to get cookies for Trulli :D
http://www.automoto....ndo-alonso.html

Ciccarone is always a good read when he writes about Alonso, in contrary to most other colleagues of him in his country.

Thanks for posting the link, FirstWatt. I enjoyed reading it very much even though it's through google translate for me. The bit about getting cookies for Trulli was amusing, and also the part on him helping to transport the pots from the team kitchen and helping out in the kitchen (if i understood it correctly) :). Shows an unassuming side of Fernando that is seldom featured by the media.

Is there any more to the story? I would love to read an Italian journalist's take on his stint in Ferrari.

#39 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,915 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 23:04

Has someone different written part five? It's been extremely poorly constructed - like a teenager's english project, but before the teacher has marked it.

A C+ from me.

Advertisement

#40 chumma

chumma

• 1,346 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 23:07

You can honestly hear just how underpowered the Minardi was in comparison to the front runners there.