Photo
- - - - -

Difference in F1, LMP1 and Indy controls?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JeordieX

JeordieX

• 69 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:25

I know there have been many topics on the difference between F1, LMP1 and Indy cars. However I was wondering was is the difference in terms of what the driver controls in each of these cars?

Advertisement

#2 warmandog

warmandog

• 45 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 15:29

I know there have been many topics on the difference between F1, LMP1 and Indy cars. However I was wondering was is the difference in terms of what the driver controls in each of these cars?

Its a long , long history.  the fact is that we're talking about two different concepts. one its endurance. and the other not. driver wyse. i can tell you that LMP1 doesnt have the level of driving ads and automation that F1 drivers got on cockpit.  about the cars.!! for me LMP1 are more real. F1 has goes galatic.

#3 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 17:30

i can tell you that LMP1 doesnt have the level of driving ads and automation that F1 drivers got on cockpit.  about the cars.!! for me LMP1 are more real. F1 has goes galatic.

With the relative complexity of powertrains and hybrid systems nowadays, LMP1 and F1 cockpits are rather equally complex.

#4 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 17:53

P1s are probably more complex than F1 cars. It has so many more features than an F1 car with wipers, lights, TC, variable brake balance etc.

However, it isn't just counting the number of buttons and switches and decide which is the more complex to drive. It is a great deal to "package" that functionality into multi purpose buttons and switches, that sometimes depends of the setting on another switch.

This is the Porsche 919

wec-bahrain-2014-cockpit-of-the-14-porsc

Edited by Richard T, 18 January 2015 - 17:56.

#5 TF110

TF110

• 3,068 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 19:55

No abs in lmp1, but traction control. The Toyota had a brake migration system that shifted balance while braking. F1 have a system like that. Both can change certain things like how they use the fuel for efficiency or power. Not sure on Indycar. I dont pay much attention to it. Too 'spec' for me.

#6 MattPete

MattPete

• 2,633 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 00:55

Indycar drivers can adjust the weight jacker, sway bars, and brake bias from the cockpit.

#7 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:01

Unlike Formula One, an Indycar driver is allowed to make changes to the car's suspension. The usual practice is the front and rear anti-roll bars, and the weight jacker. No DRS button on an Indycar, but they do have a push-to-pass, a temporary boost in power, limited to a certain number of times per race. Since Indycar is designed to be a lot cheaper than Formula One, they DW12 does not have the multiple differential settings, or engine tuning parameters, instead just a simple fuel map.

#8 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:14

Since Indycar is designed to be a lot cheaper than Formula One, they DW12 does not have the multiple differential settings, or engine tuning parameters, instead just a simple fuel map.

:up:

Thanks Basil.

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 19 January 2015 - 04:14.

#9 Ospif1

Ospif1

• 262 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:02

Endurance drivers also have the headlights to control, flashing at cars etc which is a very common practice.  Also other annoyances to throw into the mix such as fuel resets after pit stops.  Each series is quite unique with regards to driver responsibilities which is a nice thing to have I think.

#10 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,458 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:45

At night, the cockpit of an LMP1 car looks like a bar..