* * * * - 2 votes

Motorsport Bucket List

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 JeordieX

JeordieX

• 69 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:21

If yu had to make a bucket list of motorsport events (2 or 4 wheels) to attend, what would they be?

Advertisement

#2 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,748 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:19

Bathurst
Indy 500
Le Mans
Monaco GP
Rally Monte Carlo (at night on the Turini)
Rally Finland

#3 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:41

-F1: Just one of these would be great: Spa, Monza, Suzuka, Monaco, Brazil, Singapore, Montreal.

-Rally: I don't follow this closely but would be happy at any spot that gives me a good view of the drivers at work. Ideally, moving around to different spots during the event to witness the different types of corners, and of course a big jump as well.

-Bathurst

-Daytona 500.

-One of the crazy European hillclimbs with a large variety of machinery on offer, everything from souped up VW Golf Mk2's and Opel Mantas to old LMP2s and F3000s skimming between stone walls at well over 3 figures.

-A festival or weekend event at Brands Hatch

-Isle of Man TT or North West 200

-24h of Lemons but as a participant :D I'd need to team up with somebody who has good mechanical knowledge.

#4 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:01

I'd need a time machine unfortunately...

#5 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:03

Indy 500

Macau GP

Monaco GP

Le Mans

Bathurst

Belgium GP

#6 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,548 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:16

-F1: Just one of these would be great: Spa, Monza, Suzuka, Monaco, Brazil, Singapore, Montreal.

-Rally: I don't follow this closely but would be happy at any spot that gives me a good view of the drivers at work. Ideally, moving around to different spots during the event to witness the different types of corners, and of course a big jump as well.

-Bathurst

-Daytona 500.

-One of the crazy European hillclimbs with a large variety of machinery on offer, everything from souped up VW Golf Mk2's and Opel Mantas to old LMP2s and F3000s skimming between stone walls at well over 3 figures.

-24h of Lemons but as a participant :D I'd need to team up with somebody who has good mechanical knowledge.

24 hour of Lemons?  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

#7 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:21

That's a crash diet isn't it?

#8 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,268 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:26

Skoda vs DAF vs Trabant vs AMC Pacer vs Ford Pinto. I like the 24 Hrs of Lemons

#9 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 895 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:36

WRC...Finland

F1...Spa and Austria

Other....Andros Trophee Ice Racing

Re-visit Nurburgring Nordschleife 

Edited by Dick Dastardly, 20 January 2015 - 12:42.

#10 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:39

I need to do Le Mans 24hr, Monaco F1, Monza F1 (walk the banking), Nurburgring (walk the Nordschleife), Spa F1, Singapore F1, wtcc at Hungaroring with the Norby barmy army, Donington gp museum again.... Probably some others....

Oh yeah, Indy 500, Isle of Man TT

Edited by BullHead, 20 January 2015 - 12:40.

#11 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 895 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:41

I need to do Le Mans 24hr, Monaco F1, Monza F1 (walk the banking), Nurburgring (walk the Nordschleife), Spa F1, Singapore F1, wtcc at Hungaroring with the Norby barmy army, Donington gp museum again.... Probably some others....

Oh yeah, Indy 500, Isle of Man TT

I've driven the Nordschleife, never felt the need to walk it....I suppose that is a good way to get a feel for the place, will add it to my list... 

#12 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 13:41

The Nordschleife is just about a half-marathon in distance. Now that would be interesting...

#13 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 14:10

1000 lakes

Safari                    > (In a time machine of course).

London Mexico     >(ditto)

Spa

Silverstone           >(before it was sanitised)

....Waiting for a working time machine to be invented  :cry:

#14 uffen

uffen

• 1,892 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 14:20

My achievable bucket list is to see 50 live F1 races (I'm currently at 42) but like a few others here I need a time machine. My dream bucket list is to see many of the F1 races from the sixties. I was alive then but far too young to be a fan or be traveling to races.

#15 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 14:32

Hillclimbing Rachau

#16 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 14:56

24 hour of Lemons?  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

Most people are putting Le Mans so I thought I could shoehorn it in as relevant :lol:

#17 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 15:01

The Nordschleife is just about a half-marathon in distance. Now that would be interesting...

On the subject of walking circuits, has anybody walked Suzuka? That is high on my bucket list.

#18 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 15:04

Oddly enough walking the circuits always feels more meaningful to me than driving them. 

#19 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 895 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 17:04

I've walked Oulton Park, Lydden, Knockhill & Mallory [apart from OP, all short(ish) circuits]....from when I camped at each......and down Barbon Manor HillClimb several times after all the timed runs were completed..

24-25 years ago, I walked up Eau Rouge.....that was when it was still a public road circuit...road dropped down from La Source then went left at the bottom of the hill then right to re-join the circuit on the crest...the actual rise from the dip to the top of Eau Rouge was barriered off [to stop everyday traffic from using it]....I parked at the top then walked about 1/2 way back to La Source then returned in the proper direction to get a feel for it  :drunk:

Oulton Park...I used to go to Regional Association Meetings there early - mid 90s....the secretary of the association used to have orgasms over the correspondence he'd received through the post and he used to go on & on ): .....I offered a wager with friends who used to go with me that one time when he starts his piece, I'll get up go out and walk the full circuit in darkness and when I get back, he'll still be in full flow.....but my friends never took me up on that because they knew they'd lose...... 

Advertisement

#20 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 18:20

Yeah...ok, maybe not walk it's entirety and maybe not in one go / day. I belieive there's plenty of in roads and shortcuts to various points. Sensibly I reckon on doing the whole perimeter path in a two day session.

#21 SlickMick

SlickMick

• 555 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 19:11

I went to the IOM TT three times before I was ten. Last time was over 45 years ago. The most exciting thing I've ever seen and F1 doesn't come close. It's still top of my list and I'll go again before I kick it (the bucket).

#22 ChrisF1MyLife

ChrisF1MyLife

• 239 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 00:28

-Bathurst

-Daytona 500.

Good man for the Northwest 200 shout out, as a local(ish) resident always nice to see that it has its name out there and people want to come see it, even though the weather plays too much of a part these days :( ... but on a good day, it is a great atmosphere, sun shining, BBQ's and beer on the golf course, big screens, noise and smell of bikes and an insane set of history and uniqueness.

Anyhoo...

not wanting to sound like I'm bragging but, I've seen F1 at Silvo 3x, WSB at Donnington, WEC at Silvo, Moto GP at Laguna Seca,  WRC in Northern Ireland, Road Racing and Road Rallies multiple times in Northern Ireland and Motocross, Trials Bikes and Giro D'Italia once .... Given the nature of the racing these days and how limited some of the circuits are, i don't think i'd fully appreciate the classic circuits as much as I should, like Monza, Monaco, Spa etc, I've seen the cars, so a day there would be much of a muchness to me, plus, they aren't as noisy, which kills it for me, which is kinda sad all in.

So nowadays I'm looking to try new things, so, I'd love to see

a big NASCAR or Indy race,

The big Daytona or indy 24hr,

BTCC, gawan Colin ;) 

Pikes Peak would be epic, came close to booking it twice

Goodwood Festival of Speed

Speedway

yes, I'm hard to please and don't like being repetitive lol

#23 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 00:58

Motorcycle road racing, preferably the TT. It's only a question of time until it is banned.

#24 ChrisF1MyLife

ChrisF1MyLife

• 239 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:02

edit, oh, and Nurburgring, not f1 related, just want to drive it myself, I've done enough laps in the sims its time to see it for realz 

#25 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,515 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:04

1) Le Mans - Done

2) A F1 Grand Prix - Done

3) Indy 500

4) Monaco Grand Prix

5) Italian Grand Prix - Done

6) British Grand Prix

7) Sports Car race - Done

8) Isle of Man TT

9) Japan Grand Prix

10) Nurburgring 24 hour race

11) Bonneville Speedweek

12) Pike Peak

:cool:

#26 sjakie

sjakie

• 141 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:34

Yeah...ok, maybe not walk it's entirety and maybe not in one go / day. I belieive there's plenty of in roads and shortcuts to various points. Sensibly I reckon on doing the whole perimeter path in a two day session.

Indy 500 is on top of my list. Followed by Bathurst.

have done GP Belgium although that's ancient history now as it was way back in 1991. At least I can say I was there when Scvhumacher made his debut.

Have also done Le Mans, in 2012 and 2014.

And I have done the Nurburgring Nordschleife by foot, just under 2 hours, as a competitor in a running race: http://www.nuerburgring-lauf.de/

#27 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:06

Indy 500 is on top of my list. Followed by Bathurst.

have done GP Belgium although that's ancient history now as it was way back in 1991. At least I can say I was there when Scvhumacher made his debut.

Have also done Le Mans, in 2012 and 2014.

And I have done the Nurburgring Nordschleife by foot, just under 2 hours, as a competitor in a running race: http://www.nuerburgring-lauf.de/

I loved my day at Indy and another day for a trip to the museum and circuit tour. I can't compare it to what many see as the heyday of open wheel racing in the USA as I was still very young back then, but they understand how to put on a show and give access to the fans. Even if you just go on race day and skip the extra days where they run the old classics or have qualifying, they have some decent still displays of American sports cars.

The museum is well worth a visit too. Not just Indy stuff in there but a few very precious sports cars, as well. It's rammed on race day with big queues, so if you can stick around in that part of the Midwest for a couple of days after race day or get there before, it would probably make for a better museum visit. When there are no race events running there is also a reasonably priced circuit tour, where you can go down on to the track and the finish line, see the media centre, go to the podium, see the press conference room and also race control (although you are only allowed to look through the window at that one).

#28 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:22

To follow on from some others here, I've walked every circuit I've been to, it gives you a good feel for the place and occassionally it provides a better spectator spot than much of the crowd opt for.  I also enjoy visiting the parts of the circuits that are no longer in use, such as the old Melbourne to Redgate Lodge section of Donington, Sadly Bridge at Silverstone and the old Becketts behind the grandstand, the Norwich straight and hairpin at Snetterton.  With this in mind I would like to visit and drive on the Rouen circuit and Old Spa in particular...

#29 bigmack

bigmack

• 66 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:08

Well I would definately do a F1 race and a Moto GP race just a matter of deciding which ones.

After that I would do Bathurst and a Nascar race ...probably Daytona.

And the Goodwood Festival of Speed...do those and see where I am.

Edited by bigmack, 21 January 2015 - 12:09.

#30 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 4,006 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:40

Go to your local kart track and ask if you can rent a race kart with more than 25hp. Have fun!