* * * * * 2 votes

Formula 1 UK TV Coverage - 2015 [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2498 replies to this topic

#1 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 21:34

Once again the tv coverage in the UK is split between Sky and BBC with all races live on Sky F1 and 10 races live on the BBC.

F1 Calendar 2015
March 15: Australian GP - SkyF1
March 29: Malaysia GP - BBC/SkyF1
April 12: Chinese GP - SkyF1
April 19: Bahrain GP - BBC/SkyF1
May 10: Spanish GP - SkyF1
May 24: Monaco GP - SkyF1SkyF1
June 7: Canadian GP - BBC/SkyF1
June 21: Austrian GP - SkyF1
July 5: British GP - BBC/SkyF1
July 19: German GP - SkyF1
July 26: Hungarian GP - BBC/SkyF1
August 23: Belgian GP - BBC/SkyF1
September 6: Italian GP - SkyF1
September 20: Singapore GP - SkyF1
September 27: Japanese GP - BBC/SkyF1
October 11: Russian GP - BBC/SkyF1
October 25: U.S. GP - SkyF1
November 1: Mexican GP - SkyF1
November 15: Brazilian GP - BBC/SkyF1
November 29: Abu Dhabi GP - BBC/SkyF1

For races the BBC are not live there will be extended highlights as well as live radio coverage of the race.
Sky will continue to show all practice sessions, qualifying and races live along with their weekly F1 Show, as well as coverage of the GP2 and GP3 categories.

Pre-season Testing coverage
Sky F1 will be broadcasting two bespoke programmes with the latest news and insight from Jerez and Barcelona after all 12 days of pre-season winter testing, as well as live updates throughout the day on Sky Sports News. http://www1.skysport...ing-this-winter

Jerez coverage - February 1st to 4th
Paddock Uncut: 9pm
Ted's Notebook 9.15pm

Barcelona Feb 19th - 22nd
Paddock Uncut
Ted's Notebook

Barcelona Feb 27th - March 1st
Paddock Uncut
Ask Crofty

Advertisement

#2 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,002 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 22:14

I've just got rid of my Sky sports package- not sure how I'll handle not seeing all the races live. Although it has to better than paying £60 a month for re-runs of Racing Legends on the F1 'Channel' four hours a day.

#3 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,992 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 22:46

I do agree sky need to show more classic races.

#4 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,137 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 00:14

Gonna be a tricky one for me personally.

Sky Sports lose the rights to show Champions League football from next season which was their party piece for me, so BT will have Champions League, Europa League, Premier League, various European football and other sports such as Moto GP and UFC which I follow. It's clear that BT Sports will offer better value for money.

Sky Sports F1 need to do more with their coverage when the races aren't on, tired of seeing Your Home of Formula One being on up until 4pm every single day. Where are the Classic Races or other F1 documentaries, it is after all the home of F1 right?

#5 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 00:52

It's a tragic irony that British fans effectively have an entire channel dedicated to their passion and yet, notwithstanding the paywall, 99.9% is not worth watching. The 0.1% that is is the race, and if it's a good one, the post-race analysis and buzz.

Pre-race? Nothing insightful whatsoever - Sky are personality driven and you can recap the qualifying results online and the grid walk, as great as it is (and it's usually the point I switch on) has become a stale format. Perhaps there will be technical insight, but again that content is all already online by the time the feature is aired. Sky's expensive graphics do nothing a Scarbs illustration, to take an example, doesn't. The odds of learning anything new are therefore poor.

This is why in-race commentary like "if you're new to Formula 1, DRS does blah blah" irks me. Isn't this supposed to be part of the rest of the package? Even then, who needs it? The mythical "casual" viewer?

Brundle was even experimenting with the grid walk by using it to cover the pre-race preparations of a single car (or team) at that given time. At Monza, he was hanging exclusively with Williams and it prevented the time being wasted as Martin seeks someone to talk to, usually a celebrity. This problem has been made worse with the bizarre new custom to form all drivers at the front in respect of the national anthem.

Some of the common complaints about F1 don't resonate with me, so surely I'm better suited to watching the channel more often. However, if they're not even getting the race program right in my eyes, the rest of the channel doesn't have a chance. I don't think a dedicated F1 channel is really a sustainable venture.

#6 bigmack

bigmack

• 66 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:14

We just get the basic race in Aus with no extra shows but next year F1 is going to cable so I'm hoping they might take the extra shows.

We mostly don't even get it in HD.

Edited by bigmack, 21 January 2015 - 12:14.

#7 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 654 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:30

Wow, the BBC don't cover a European GP live until the British GP.

Another year of me relying on the shadier corners of the interweb then.

#8 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:54

It's a tragic irony that British fans effectively have an entire channel dedicated to their passion and yet, notwithstanding the paywall, 99.9% is not worth watching. The 0.1% that is is the race, and if it's a good one, the post-race analysis and buzz.

Pre-race? Nothing insightful whatsoever - Sky are personality driven and you can recap the qualifying results online and the grid walk, as great as it is (and it's usually the point I switch on) has become a stale format. Perhaps there will be technical insight, but again that content is all already online by the time the feature is aired. Sky's expensive graphics do nothing a Scarbs illustration, to take an example, doesn't. The odds of learning anything new are therefore poor.

This is why in-race commentary like "if you're new to Formula 1, DRS does blah blah" irks me. Isn't this supposed to be part of the rest of the package? Even then, who needs it? The mythical "casual" viewer?

Brundle was even experimenting with the grid walk by using it to cover the pre-race preparations of a single car (or team) at that given time. At Monza, he was hanging exclusively with Williams and it prevented the time being wasted as Martin seeks someone to talk to, usually a celebrity. This problem has been made worse with the bizarre new custom to form all drivers at the front in respect of the national anthem.

Some of the common complaints about F1 don't resonate with me, so surely I'm better suited to watching the channel more often. However, if they're not even getting the race program right in my eyes, the rest of the channel doesn't have a chance. I don't think a dedicated F1 channel is really a sustainable venture.

I don't think it's that bad, but in the off-season they definitely don't have enough content to keep a dedicated channel going.  Repeats of GP3 races, repeats of Legends/ Architects of F1 (some are very good, but once you've seen them you don't need another 50 repeats)....  can't blame them too much as F1 does go into hibernation mode for most media outlets.  They could do with more classic races, but Bernie, the master promotions genius, probably charges silly prices for their use.

#9 bushgold

bushgold

• 228 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 13:43

8 live races for me since i'm not bothering to go to Silverstone and Spa this year. 

#10 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 15:08

I have Sky this year and I can record the missing races in full!

Don't worry I haven't signed up with Sky though. My wife was given an open source box that shares our HD Freesat cable and gets every channel. It means I can record the races the BBC don't cover live and watch them at my leisure like the good old days.  :)

#11 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 15:13

When all else fails... We'll be there for you.

1goE0py.jpg

Return customer discounts will be honoured

#12 paultheoctopus44

paultheoctopus44

• 43 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 16:05

Skysportsf1 is the worst, the production is abysmal, the only thing they know how to use is slow mo cameras, but they over use it, its like 300, also i dont like how they hire everyone posh, cant you just hire normal people, that natalie pinkam looks like a horse and sounds as if shes from the royal family, its so annoying, plus the production and pre race stuff is to long. Its like only posh people can watch skysportsf1 like its part of some elite club that only posh people can go to. They could make it more dramatic but there taste in music is like they stole a playlist from someone from eton. 

Im getting rid of skysports and getting BT i hope they get F1

Edited by paultheoctopus44, 21 January 2015 - 16:06.

#13 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,992 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 16:12

natalie pinkam looks like a horse

Beg to differ

#14 paultheoctopus44

paultheoctopus44

• 43 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 16:14

Gonna be a tricky one for me personally.

Sky Sports lose the rights to show Champions League football from next season which was their party piece for me, so BT will have Champions League, Europa League, Premier League, various European football and other sports such as Moto GP and UFC which I follow. It's clear that BT Sports will offer better value for money.

Sky Sports F1 need to do more with their coverage when the races aren't on, tired of seeing Your Home of Formula One being on up until 4pm every single day. Where are the Classic Races or other F1 documentaries, it is after all the home of F1 right?

BT also has the FA cup and will probably get the majority of the premier league games in the next round of bidding, also they have just bought EE so expect to see cheap phone deals included in there package. Sky rights to F1 finish in 2018 so hopefully BT will take it, as it has been quoted the major sport BT does want is F1.

Edited by paultheoctopus44, 21 January 2015 - 16:16.

#15 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 17:43

Do you work for BT by any chance?  There sports coverage is average, they dont pull oin the viewers, more people watched BSB than MotoGP last year.

And they are paying massive fees for football in the hope they can make people ignore the 17 quid a month theya re now charging once your free year expires or you change supplier as you cant get decent BT where you live.

At least theya re speculating to accumulate, but i still think their policy is bold and economic crash risk averse!

#16 paultheoctopus44

paultheoctopus44

• 43 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 17:45

lol no hahaha i just hate sky. in relation to your point of average coverage, BT sport are planing to do there original programming ie the champions league in 4K, where they are going to build a new champions league studio and have have signed pundits like Jose Mourinho.  I would think that there ecenomic policy is good considering that most people who subscribe to skysports is a football fan, so if BT sport do get nearly all the football including la liga with the rights expiring this year, i think most people will go to BT, with BT also having fibreoctic broadband the future of sky does not look that good.   

Edited by paultheoctopus44, 21 January 2015 - 17:58.

#17 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 19:10

I assume Sky have retained their line-up of utter bellends as presenters?

#18 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,002 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 19:38

Skysportsf1 is the worst, the production is abysmal, the only thing they know how to use is slow mo cameras, but they over use it, its like 300, also i dont like how they hire everyone posh, cant you just hire normal people, that natalie pinkam looks like a horse and sounds as if shes from the royal family, its so annoying, plus the production and pre race stuff is to long. Its like only posh people can watch skysportsf1 like its part of some elite club that only posh people can go to. They could make it more dramatic but there taste in music is like they stole a playlist from someone from eton.

Not allowed to join the polo club?

#19 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,137 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 20:45

8 live races for me since i'm not bothering to go to Silverstone and Spa this year. 

Ironically I was thinking of going to Silverstone this year, did you go last year and if so how did the cars sound? Be honest if you preferred the sound of the GP2 cars  :p

That's the only complaint I have with BT their coverage is very bland, not exciting or entertaining at all. Except for the European Football Show, presented by James Richardson who is fantastic.

Edited by STRFerrari4Ever, 21 January 2015 - 20:48.

Advertisement

#20 ChrisF1MyLife

ChrisF1MyLife

• 239 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 00:05

Agree on all points, particularly the last one, and i never think it was a sustainable venture, as far as i can see / tell, the only person who would have done well out of the deal is Bernie, because, from memory, weren't / aren't skys viewing stats abysmal, only talking tens of thousands or something, they were certainly getting smashed by other medias last i remember.

Besides, if anyone is an unscrupulous type ;) they probably didn't miss a race last year anyway, because they were clever where they watched it, so trying to force people in to paying money to watch stuff they enjoyed free, is a bad idea.

I can see BT pulling an absolute blinder and becoming the sports network, football, baseball, ufc, motogp, tennis, rally, rugby, .... BTCC F1 to follow????? watch this space

#21 bushgold

bushgold

• 228 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:15

Ironically I was thinking of going to Silverstone this year, did you go last year and if so how did the cars sound? Be honest if you preferred the sound of the GP2 cars  :p

That's the only complaint I have with BT their coverage is very bland, not exciting or entertaining at all. Except for the European Football Show, presented by James Richardson who is fantastic.

Correction I meant 10 live BBC races. I went last two years to Silverstone and Spa. 2012 was ok. Not great, just ok. Last year was utter rubbish. To quote Lauda "Today you can drive a F1 car like a road car. I could do it, you could do it.". 

#22 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:25

I remember the last time Lauda said that. He ended up looking a bit foolish.

#23 DS27

DS27

• 4,674 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:00

I remember that well. It was a good response to those who thought that anyone (including themselves) could jump in and F1 car and would only be, let's say, less than 7 or 8 seconds off the pace.

Though I will admit I was surprised that Lauda was a full 15 seconds off the pace.

#24 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:01

I have had Sky F1 for nearly 2 weeks now and I am beginning to realise the channel is seriously lacking content. I am not sure if they save all their decent programs for during the season, but right now I am a little fed up of seeing Nigel Mansell and Christian Horner talking to Steve Ryder every time I turn the channel on. It must be on constant repeat! Do they not air classic races very often, or are these in the middle of the night? Someone above said a dedicated channel is not viable and I tend to agree with that. They could easily show what they do now on SS4. If it isn't Nigel and Christian talking on repeat, its 5 minute segment clips reminding you its 'Your home for Formula One' lol. I am not complaining as such, I am just surprised more is not being made of a whole channel that could be showing re-runs from previous season's and classic races from era's gone by. They also made a Senna doc last year some time, so it is not like they have zero content. Could it be FOM are restricting what they are allowed to show? The BBC have had some great Racing Legends docs on recently though so at least F1 fans haven't completely missed out over the new year. 

Thanks to Exb in the OP for highlighting some interesting programs coming up because if I relied on turning the channel on by chance, I'd most likely be in the wilderness lol :p 

#25 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:59

I turn my SkyF1 package off during the winter, won't turn it on until possibly February for those test shows. I only have it for F1. I can't imagine not seeing a race live. With social media breaking everything as it happens it's extremely hard to avoid spoilers.

#26 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:41

I have had Sky F1 for nearly 2 weeks now and I am beginning to realise the channel is seriously lacking content. I am not sure if they save all their decent programs for during the season, but right now I am a little fed up of seeing Nigel Mansell and Christian Horner talking to Steve Ryder every time I turn the channel on. It must be on constant repeat! Do they not air classic races very often, or are these in the middle of the night? Someone above said a dedicated channel is not viable and I tend to agree with that. They could easily show what they do now on SS4. If it isn't Nigel and Christian talking on repeat, its 5 minute segment clips reminding you its 'Your home for Formula One' lol. I am not complaining as such, I am just surprised more is not being made of a whole channel that could be showing re-runs from previous season's and classic races from era's gone by. They also made a Senna doc last year some time, so it is not like they have zero content. Could it be FOM are restricting what they are allowed to show? The BBC have had some great Racing Legends docs on recently though so at least F1 fans haven't completely missed out over the new year.

Its definitely lacking a lot at the moment - before Christmas they were at least showing full program re-runs of 2014 season as well as the GP2 and GP3 races. At the end of 2013 they did dedicated review shows for each team but unless I missed something they didn't do that this time? Usually they do show classic GPs in the run up to race week (a bit like the BBC used to do on the Red Button).

#27 hamilton10000

hamilton10000

• 673 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:23

Sky F1 had 1 classic race at 9pm everyday from the start of march to the end of december last year so I assume they will start that again in march

#28 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:53

Sky F1 had 1 classic race at 9pm everyday from the start of march to the end of december last year so I assume they will start that again in march

Was that a different race each day? I assume some were repeated, but is there a few weeks in between each repeat? I just want to gage whether or not I am going to get much more than the missing live races out of this channel. :)

#29 DinosaursRoarForHugs

DinosaursRoarForHugs

• 153 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:15

I think the BBC have actually done quite well this year, they have mostly good races  :up:

#30 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:26

I have Sky this year and I can record the missing races in full!

Don't worry I haven't signed up with Sky though. My wife was given an open source box that shares our HD Freesat cable and gets every channel. It means I can record the races the BBC don't cover live and watch them at my leisure like the good old days.  :)

I'm about to dump my Sky subscription. Can you give me some details on this open source box?

#31 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:34

Thanks to Exb in the OP for highlighting some interesting programs coming up because if I relied on turning the channel on by chance, I'd most likely be in the wilderness lol :p

It doesn't really get any better, just more of the same and race repeats. Other than the race weekends I don't bother to tune in. 

Edited by Clatter, 26 January 2015 - 11:34.

#32 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,227 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:34

I'm about to dump my Sky subscription. Can you give me some details on this open source box?

I am about to stop paying for a product. Can you give me some details on how to steal it?

#33 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:39

Don't know? What product are you interested in? :rolleyes:

#34 B3ndy

B3ndy

• 162 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:44

I turn my SkyF1 package off during the winter, won't turn it on until possibly February for those test shows. I only have it for F1. I can't imagine not seeing a race live. With social media breaking everything as it happens it's extremely hard to avoid spoilers.

I have Sky F1, I almost never get to watch a race live though as there is always a family commitment on Sundays. I record and go into complete social media lockdown mode, as that is a major part of my job it normally makes race days particularly taxing, its hard to avoid Facebook, Twitter and News habits! I've even gone as far as unfollowing and defending anything to do with F1 on my various accounts to try and keep it safe, the teams are the worst for spoiling results.

However I have to be honest I'm probably going to ditch Sky, as other posters have commented the F1 channel is close to abysmal although I do like Crofty and MB on race day.

#35 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 17:01

However I have to be honest I'm probably going to ditch Sky, as other posters have commented the F1 channel is close to abysmal although I do like Crofty and MB on race day.

I think that is the crux. Do you prefer their comms team, do you want to watch every race live (without relying on intermittently functional streams)?

Price up the channel over the season for the races alone, almost like each race being a PPV and see everything else as just bonus content.

#36 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 17:21

I think that is the crux. Do you prefer their comms team, do you want to watch every race live (without relying on intermittently functional streams)?

Price up the channel over the season for the races alone, almost like each race being a PPV and see everything else as just bonus content.

I would say you'd have to do it the other way around, because for F1 fans the content is not worth the price for the coverage alone. The F1 is a bonus for me with the other channels like Disney Juniors, Baby TV and Sky Atlantic being used a lot more in my household. There isn't enough content on the F1 Channel for it to be viable, even if priced as a PPV IMO. I still think the build up, commentary and post race stuff on the Beeb trumps Sky, but I am looking forward to the ability to record races in full rather than rely on highlights for 10 of the races. Of course there are people who like Brundle and I think this is still a major pull. Is it worth £552 a year though? I suppose it's all down to the individual. :)

#37 B3ndy

B3ndy

• 162 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 17:34

Yeah, thats exactly how I look at it.

I'm too much of a perfectionist for crappy quality streams, I like my F1 in glorious HD (4K pls FOM).

#38 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 17:38

I assume Sky have retained their line-up of utter bellends as presenters?

Another year of David 'I can't keep my hands still when on camera' Croft to look forward to. 

And the female version of the wooden Damon Hill, Rachel Brookes will surely feature more with Natalie Pinkham on mat leave. 

Enjoy  :up:

#39 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 893 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 18:08

Anyone know when the BBC/F1 contract ends?   

Advertisement

#40 B3ndy

B3ndy

• 162 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 18:16

The BBC and Sky deals runs back to back until 2018 (source: http://www.telegraph...l-with-Sky.html).

#41 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 893 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 18:30

Thanks

#42 pRy

pRy

• 26,169 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 18:34

Surprised BBC have stuck with it. I thought they'd dump what they had left of the coverage after a year but it seems like the 50/50 deal really works for them.

#43 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 18:42

They get away with getting far more viewers at a much reduced cost to them not getting most events live, would love to know how much cheaper it is for them covering it like this!

But it seems to be working

As others hvae said, the SKY channel, like most sports channels covering one type of sport, does not even warrant a tenth of what is being asked, so it will fall on its bum.

But, they do a good job in my eyes, it is just a shame there is not enough there to warrant paying for it.

#44 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,002 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 18:43

Not soon enough, now I've cancelled my contract. It's a shame, because I like the Sky coverage (except Crofty, who should be banned from talking for the rest of his life), but ending up paying ~£50 a month for the privilege of three odd hours every other weekend is preposterous. Its a pity FOM is too blind to see past a massive cheque from Sky, and ends up isolating a large portion of its existing audience as a result. Not only that, but how many people do we know who have got into F1 as a result? Bugger all for me, if anything the people I knew who watched it have left- they don't even bother when it's on BBC, as they can't see them all.

#45 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 18:44

There's little each channel offers outside of coverage that I care about.

#46 hamilton10000

hamilton10000

• 673 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 19:29

Was that a different race each day? I assume some were repeated, but is there a few weeks in between each repeat? I just want to gage whether or not I am going to get much more than the missing live races out of this channel. :)

There were some repeats of the classic races but that was usually during the build up to a race weekend. There was probably 100-150 classic races overall in 2014 plus 78 in 2013 and they were probably only repeated 2 or 3 times through the year so they certainly show quite a lot. They usually show 5-6 classic races from the particular track in the lead up to a race(if there has been that many)

#47 B3ndy

B3ndy

• 162 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 19:32

After reading this thread I thought I would post a poll regarding F1 online and the value people would associate with it: http://forums.autosp...-f1-online-vod/

#48 krod

krod

• 122 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 20:57

Not allowed to join the polo club?

He was black-balled for pronouncing balcony incorrectly, AND drinking from the wrong type of glass. Plus he drives a Roller - just too common nowadays.

#49 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,002 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 21:06

He was black-balled for pronouncing balcony incorrectly, AND drinking from the wrong type of glass. Plus he drives a Roller - just too common nowadays.

I heard he wore red plus-fours to the first grouse shoot instead of yellow. Cad. Bounder.

#50 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:57

There are plenty of reasons to not like a presenter, TV show or channel but picking on how someone looks is as cheap as it gets. Complain about her F1 knowledge if you like but 'Natalie Pinkham looks like a horse' is irrelevant, unfair and unwarranted.