Barcelona GP 2015

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 SirT

SirT

• 722 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 17:39

Looking for some advice on this GP.

We're looking at sitting in stand L. Which has good views of Elf, bit of Renault and Seat.

Anyone sat here before? Can you see a big screen easily?

Any other areas that you would recommend?

I'd also like to know if your allowed to take a cool bag with some food and drink. Don't fancy paying stupid prices for rubbish food at the track.

Advertisement

#2 markeimas27

markeimas27

• 138 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 14:38

Spain is a great race to go to. Good choice. Grandstand L has great views as you see the action of turn 1 (so the start of the race) and also the bit on the other side of the track where they often pass each other. The big screens are really big too and it is no problem seeing them. 

Doing a quick google you can see on this link the picture from the grandstand.

http://www.discoverg...ts/grandstand-l

Reference food, then that is fine. You can take your own stuff into the track. However the food in spain isn't actually too bad. Hungary is worse. Silverstone the worst. 

I would also recommend Grandstand B. 

Enjoy!

#3 SirT

SirT

• 722 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 14:22

Spain is a great race to go to. Good choice. Grandstand L has great views as you see the action of turn 1 (so the start of the race) and also the bit on the other side of the track where they often pass each other. The big screens are really big too and it is no problem seeing them. 

Doing a quick google you can see on this link the picture from the grandstand.

http://www.discoverg...ts/grandstand-l

Reference food, then that is fine. You can take your own stuff into the track. However the food in spain isn't actually too bad. Hungary is worse. Silverstone the worst. 

I would also recommend Grandstand B. 

Enjoy!

Thanks for the reply markeimas27, very useful!

One other thing.. is there English commentary at the Spanish GP? If not is there a way to get English commentary without being charged a fortune for using my phone abroad. I always buy the F1 timing app on my iPhone but I guess data charges abroad mean I shouldn't use it?

Edited by SirT, 26 January 2015 - 15:37.

#4 markeimas27

markeimas27

• 138 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:49

Hi, no problem. I can't remember about the english commentary. I've seen so many races over the years that I have become pretty good at reading what is going on in the race even when i am track side. Data charges are not so bad these days. If I were you, I would just budget it into the trip. Sadly Kangaroo / Fanvision TV has been gone for a couple of years and nothing has yet replaced it. iPhone it is! I see loads of people with iPads too!

#5 SirT

SirT

• 722 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:14

Hi, no problem. I can't remember about the english commentary. I've seen so many races over the years that I have become pretty good at reading what is going on in the race even when i am track side. Data charges are not so bad these days. If I were you, I would just budget it into the trip. Sadly Kangaroo / Fanvision TV has been gone for a couple of years and nothing has yet replaced it. iPhone it is! I see loads of people with iPads too!

Cool, thanks for your help. Have just booked flights and hotel so I'm going to the Spanish GP! :up:

Just got to buy the F1 tickets now, any advice on best place to buy tickets? I know the official site is more expensive but I don't want to use a company which is unreliable.

#6 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 00:11

Cool, thanks for your help. Have just booked flights and hotel so I'm going to the Spanish GP! :up:

Just got to buy the F1 tickets now, any advice on best place to buy tickets? I know the official site is more expensive but I don't want to use a company which is unreliable.

I always get the tickets from the circuit - can't really go wrong then and its probably the best price you will find. http://tickets.circu...shadow_key=7154
(It also gives you a great idea of the views you will get from your chosen grandstand by clicking on the +info button

L certainly looks great, although not one I have sat in but it looks like it will have a good view of a screen as well as plenty of action - my favourite grandstand is F (which probably views a similar portion of the track but from a totally different angle) although I quite like H as well as that also gives a good view of the cars in the final sector (and probably the longest amount of time the cars are in view for).

Edited by Exb, 30 January 2015 - 00:30.

#7 markeimas27

markeimas27

• 138 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 14:04

The link for the company I put above is a good company. I got my Spanish GP tickets from them for the last 2 years. Always delivered on time and are reliable. I don't think it matters where you buy the tickets from e.g. direct from the track or from a re-seller. As long as the re-seller is an official agent (which the one above is.)

Also - always but always book with a credit card, no matter where you buy the tickets from. Personally because I have used them before and trust them I would continue to use discover grand prix.

#8 Oviedo

Oviedo

• 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 17:11

Hi,
Concerning the english commentary the website to the event says there should a Radio frequence with english and i think french commentary

Edited by Oviedo, 30 January 2015 - 17:33.

#9 SirT

SirT

• 722 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 15:24

Thanks for all the advice guys! All booked up. Stand L. Can't wait :up:

#10 markeimas27

markeimas27

• 138 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 15:17

Cool. Maybe see you there! Who did you book your hotel and tickets with in the end?

#11 SirT

SirT

• 722 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:33

Cool. Maybe see you there! Who did you book your hotel and tickets with in the end?

Booked it all seperately. Race tickets with bookF1, got a hotel in Granollers and flight out Thurs morn and back Sunday evening. Roll on May...

Edited by SirT, 11 February 2015 - 10:33.

#12 WonderboyF1

WonderboyF1

• 219 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 17:45

I'm staying in Barcelona centre, been told to book Sagales bus service to track everyday. Can't seem to book it online website is being a pain. Does anyone know if you can get a ticket at the bus garage on the weekend of the race easy enough?

#13 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 17:16

I went years ago...

Don't know if all my blather is still applicable but here's the story.

Catalan Ramblings

Jp

#14 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:47

Thanks for all the advice guys! All booked up. Stand L. Can't wait :up:

I think you have the best seats at the track, I actually bothered to walk all the way up to the grass bank in front of the stand this year and then pretty stayed there for the rest of the morning as it was such a great view of the cars through turn 1 into 3, as well as dropping down from 5-7 (and being that much higher you should see more - probably the pit straight as well).

#15 SirT

SirT

• 722 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:55

I think you have the best seats at the track, I actually bothered to walk all the way up to the grass bank in front of the stand this year and then pretty stayed there for the rest of the morning as it was such a great view of the cars through turn 1 into 3, as well as dropping down from 5-7 (and being that much higher you should see more - probably the pit straight as well).

:up: I'm hoping so. Had a look at a few videos on youtube and it looks great. I've asked for seats in the top right hand corner (if you are looking a the stand from turn 1) so I will be closer to the turn 5.

Any advice where I should sit in practice 1 & 2? I'm thinking main grandstand in P1 to see the cars going in and out the pits and seeing the teams work their magic.

#16 f1madmatt

f1madmatt

• 17 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 16:40

Hi , I've been there twice. In 2012 and last year. I sat in grandstand J in 2012 , on the pit straight , and G last year in the final complex. I recommend sitting in the general admission area near turn 5 for FP2. You can see all the way up to turn 9 and the entrance to turn 1 , plus there is some trees there to shelter under as it gets hot !

You can take your own food and drink in with you , but glass bottles and cans aren't allowed.

There is English commentary. It alternates on the tannoy with Spanish

We caught the train into the circuit , about 4 euros return , then 25 minute walk to the circuit.

#17 SirT

SirT

• 722 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 15:39

Hi , I've been there twice. In 2012 and last year. I sat in grandstand J in 2012 , on the pit straight , and G last year in the final complex. I recommend sitting in the general admission area near turn 5 for FP2. You can see all the way up to turn 9 and the entrance to turn 1 , plus there is some trees there to shelter under as it gets hot !

You can take your own food and drink in with you , but glass bottles and cans aren't allowed.

There is English commentary. It alternates on the tannoy with Spanish

We caught the train into the circuit , about 4 euros return , then 25 minute walk to the circuit.

Thanks for the advice. Will have a look at those points.

Luckily staying in Granollers and can pretty much walk to the circuit from there but we are also hiring a Fiat 500 for a few days so may use that if we're really lazy. Bought a parking pass as it was only £12 for all 3 days.

Edited by SirT, 06 March 2015 - 15:40.

#18 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 00:23

Luckily staying in Granollers and can pretty much walk to the circuit from there but we are also hiring a Fiat 500 for a few days so may use that if we're really lazy. Bought a parking pass as it was only £12 for all 3 days.

I agree with F1madmatt - the GA at Barcelona is excellent and its a great bit of track up through the chicane (7/8) and turn 9 although you could quite easily watch FP3 from there as it is very near your seats - and that means you can check out some more grandstands for FP1 and 2 as they are all open for roaming on Friday. FP1 opposite the garages is a must - if you get their early enough you will get to see the teams doing pit-stop practice and Barcelona gives a great view into the garages from the grandstand (much better than Silverstone).
As for what other grandstands to check out - it depends what you want to see, the ones in the final sector are good for having the cars in view for a long period of time and (especially H by the chicane) is great for photos as the cars are slow. I and K are great to watch the cars tackle quick corners and F gives a good perspective of how quick the cars slow in the braking zone at the end of the main straight.

#19 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:39

I'll add a few things about Barcelona.

First: with your GP ticket, you can visit the annual pit-walk on Thursday before the race. You can go early (from 9am to Noon) or come later from 4 to 7pm. It's well worth it!

Second: during Friday, you can pretty much try any GS you wish as they're open for all - even if you're seated in another GS.

I'll be there again this year. I'm also sitting in "L"

Advertisement

#20 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 20:20

I'm staying in Barcelona centre, been told to book Sagales bus service to track everyday. Can't seem to book it online website is being a pain. Does anyone know if you can get a ticket at the bus garage on the weekend of the race easy enough?

id say get the train to montmello - ok theres a bit of a walk to the track but its a lot quicker than the bus, the bus service albeit good and regular, gets stuck in the traffic

but when i was there it was easy enough to get a ticket for the bus we just turned up and paid as we got on

#21 Guest_Mick61_*

Guest_Mick61_*

Posted 11 April 2015 - 23:01

Hi,

I've just joined the forum and have been reading through the posts. I've been to the Spanish GP of the last two years and am going again this year. Stand L is a great view and i would definitely recommend it as we sat there last year. I would get the Sagales bus to the track. Its really easy and they drop you off only a couple of minutes walk from the main gates.

When it comes to buying tickets I would always buy them from the track as they will always be the cheapest as there are no middle man fees, and unless the race is cancelled you are always going to get them. Over the last few years there has been more than 1 site selling tickets that has gone bust leaving people with no tickets and trouble getting refunds. Save yourselves money and worry an only ever by from the track or its nominated seller.

#22 markeimas27

markeimas27

• 138 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:49

Hi,

I've just joined the forum and have been reading through the posts. I've been to the Spanish GP of the last two years and am going again this year. Stand L is a great view and i would definitely recommend it as we sat there last year. I would get the Sagales bus to the track. Its really easy and they drop you off only a couple of minutes walk from the main gates.

When it comes to buying tickets I would always buy them from the track as they will always be the cheapest as there are no middle man fees, and unless the race is cancelled you are always going to get them. Over the last few years there has been more than 1 site selling tickets that has gone bust leaving people with no tickets and trouble getting refunds. Save yourselves money and worry an only ever by from the track or its nominated seller.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Your sentiment is correct, but you are incorrect I'm afraid.

You are right to say "Save yourselves money and worry an only ever by from the track or its nominated seller." This is correct. Most circuits do appoint official agents and will often list them on their website. You can always call the circuit to ask if you are unsure.

You are wrong to say this though, "When it comes to buying tickets I would always buy them from the track as they will always be the cheapest as there are no middle man fees". This is most definitely not the case. Often official ticket agents of the circuit will be cheaper. It depends also on which country you are buying from and how the agent business is set up too. I have a business which deals in different currencies and so similar to the agents, I know that at certain times, my product will be cheaper than the manufacturer, (the circuit in this case). It also depends on how the agent is marketing their tickets to generate sales. Also one final thing. Let's remember that actually the agents are getting a commission and don't often stick anything on top.

I understand your fear about these companies going bust. But to my knowledge only one has gone bust in the last 5 years. That was a company called Simply The Ticket. I lost my tickets to Silverstone that year. So have been hurt. It won't sop me supporting other smaller companies in this field though.

I completely understand your concerns, but I like to add a bit of context where relevant. 

#23 WonderboyF1

WonderboyF1

• 219 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:17

Ok getting excited now :-D How strict is the no camera policy? Got a bridge camera that i will be wearing around my neck. Its not dlsr and dosnt have a removable lens.

#24 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 14:30

Ok getting excited now :-D How strict is the no camera policy? Got a bridge camera that i will be wearing around my neck. Its not dlsr and dosnt have a removable lens.

That won't be a problem - as long as the pictures are not for commercial use I think you can take what you like.

#25 Guest_Mick61_*

Guest_Mick61_*

Posted 14 April 2015 - 23:19

Hi, welcome to the forum. Your sentiment is correct, but you are incorrect I'm afraid.

You are right to say "Save yourselves money and worry an only ever by from the track or its nominated seller." This is correct. Most circuits do appoint official agents and will often list them on their website. You can always call the circuit to ask if you are unsure.

You are wrong to say this though, "When it comes to buying tickets I would always buy them from the track as they will always be the cheapest as there are no middle man fees". This is most definitely not the case. Often official ticket agents of the circuit will be cheaper. It depends also on which country you are buying from and how the agent business is set up too. I have a business which deals in different currencies and so similar to the agents, I know that at certain times, my product will be cheaper than the manufacturer, (the circuit in this case). It also depends on how the agent is marketing their tickets to generate sales. Also one final thing. Let's remember that actually the agents are getting a commission and don't often stick anything on top.

I understand your fear about these companies going bust. But to my knowledge only one has gone bust in the last 5 years. That was a company called Simply The Ticket. I lost my tickets to Silverstone that year. So have been hurt. It won't sop me supporting other smaller companies in this field though.

I completely understand your concerns, but I like to add a bit of context where relevant. 

I can only speak from experience. I have been buying GP tickets for years and have looked at numerous sites selling tickets to races, and typically they are charging £10 - £20 per ticket more than the circuits. I just simply don't understand why you would a) pay more than you have to and b) purchase tickets from a 3rd party when you can get them straight from the circuits. If the circuit (as some do such as Austria) forward you onto a 3rd party such as GP Ticketshop.com then fine thats the official seller and thats the place to go, but otherwise I stand by my advice to go direct to the circuits to get tickets.

#26 SirT

SirT

• 722 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:28

Got my tickets this morning :clap:

Anyone know if there is a seating plan for stand L anywhere on the internet? I'd like to try and work out where our seats are in the stand.

#27 Guest_Mick61_*

Guest_Mick61_*

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:48

SirT,

If you go to the circuit de catalunya web site and click on purchase tickets you can see where all the grandstands are and click on the seating plan to see where your seat is.

Just remember when you've finished to back out the system so you don't buy another ticket.

#28 SirT

SirT

• 722 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 13:26

SirT,

If you go to the circuit de catalunya web site and click on purchase tickets you can see where all the grandstands are and click on the seating plan to see where your seat is.

Just remember when you've finished to back out the system so you don't buy another ticket.

Thanks Mick, just checked it out. Spot on where I asked to be, about 10 rows down from the back centre-ish but more towards turn 5. Can't wait! :cool:

#29 Guest_Mick61_*

Guest_Mick61_*

Posted 17 April 2015 - 13:34

SirT,

Have a great time, it's a good stand. We sat there last year. This year we've opted for the other side of the circuit, Stand H. Now it's a case of hoping the weather is nice and sunny. When I looked yesterday it was forecasting rain, but with a couple of weeks to go anything can happen. Whatever we'll have a good weekend.

#30 SwedeForceOne

SwedeForceOne

• 444 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:19

Going with my father, grandstand L. We're going to the track by car, does anyone here know if it takes a long time to get to/from the track due to traffic? Mostly wondered cause I have a flight to catch 19:50 from El Prat :)

#31 WonderboyF1

WonderboyF1

• 219 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:59

Flying out Wednesday night getting excited! Anyone know what the ticket sales are like this year? Can't imagine it being great considering the car Fred currently has..

#32 MarkRaishbrook

MarkRaishbrook

• 60 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:34

Going with my father, grandstand L. We're going to the track by car, does anyone here know if it takes a long time to get to/from the track due to traffic? Mostly wondered cause I have a flight to catch 19:50 from El Prat :)

I went to the GP last year (grandstand G - great spot!) and drove in to the circuit every day from Sant Cugat del Vallès. Parked in car park B (make sure you buy a three-day parking ticket beforehand! Only costs 15 euros). The traffic wasn't bad at all. Worst day was Saturday as I started out too late. If you aim to get there before 10 am, you should be fine. Leaving was dead easy, even on the Sunday.

Somebody's already mentioned this, but on the Friday you can sit in any grandstand (except E, C and N, I think). It's a great opportunity to get some really good photos. I walked the circuit three times and ended up watching the whole of P2 sitting on the grass at the end of the main straight in front of grandstand A. Had a fantastic time.

#33 Guest_Mick61_*

Guest_Mick61_*

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:15

All packed and ready to fly Wed morning. Would rather drive down as we have for the last two years but at least this way get an extra couple of days in Barca. Weather forecasts look good so heres hoping for a good week. Would be even better if JB won but i think thats a wish to far at the minute.

#34 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 23:45

Have a great time everybody :wave:

I'm very jealous - I love this track for spectating (even if races aren't always that great for those watching on TV the views for pretty much everywhere are fantastic for the fans at the circuit) Anybody staying on for the test? :cool:

#35 SirT

SirT

• 722 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 17:34

Starting the get everything ready for my Thursday morning flight. Can't wait to get out there, weather looks good but also not too hot. Looks like theres quite a few of us in this thread going and lots of in stand L. Probably see some of you at the the thursday pit walk without realising!

#36 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 22:26

Have a great time everybody :wave:

I'm very jealous - I love this track for spectating (even if races aren't always that great for those watching on TV the views for pretty much everywhere are fantastic for the fans at the circuit) Anybody staying on for the test? :cool:

I am. I've been in Barcelona for 10 days already and staying the whole afree the GP.

#37 SirT

SirT

• 722 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 15:42

Well I had a great weekend despite it being a frustrating round for Lewis.

Damn it was hot on Friday and Sunday. Saturday was a lovely day with the breeze to be in stand L.

How was everyones 3 days?

#38 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 17:51

I had fun - as I always do in Barcelona. If anyone is interested, I've posted some pics on my Instagram account under the moniker goldsoundz

Bring on Canada!