Photo

Ronald 'Steady' Barker RIP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,050 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 18:54

Not quite on topic but not wholly off it, I can say that Roger Collings has posted the following in another place:

"Steady" Barker in hospital.
Steady has suffered a nasty stroke but is making good progress.
Try and send him a card if you can.
He is on Neptune Ward, Great Western Hospital, Marlborough Road, Swindon SN3 6BB

Today Roger has posted:

Sad to report that Steady died this afternoon.

Advertisement

#2 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 21:10

RIP Steady. 

#3 john aston

john aston

• 2,675 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:31

Indeed- anybody who wingwalks on his 70th and 80th (or was it 90th?) birthday is alright by me . Noted for his writing in the early and best years of Car   and his predilection for characterful and ancient machinery I think . Doubtless LJKS  will already have inflicted his  first monologue upon Steady  about why  Bristol  cars  are the only transport available in the afterlife  ;)

#4 Roy C

Roy C

• 119 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:33

Indeed- anybody who wingwalks on his 70th and 80th (or was it 90th?) birthday is alright by me . Noted for his writing in the early and best years of Car   and his predilection for characterful and ancient machinery I think . Doubtless LJKS  will already have inflicted his  first monologue upon Steady  about why  Bristol  cars  are the only transport available in the afterlife  ;)

Ronald "Steady" Barker at 90 (trailer for the "Holding Steady" video)

R.I.P. Steady

Edited by Roy C, 27 January 2015 - 08:35.

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:40

I've split these posts off from the Noms de Plume thread.

#6 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,050 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:02

Thanks for that - when I first posted it was only to report that Steady was unwell, and I hoped that was all.

#7 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,392 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 19:47

That’s exactly what I in a still unread PM from November 2014 (!) suggested to do with the Grelley posts in the Mentioned in Passing thread. See also here.

#8 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 16:54

This is very sad, though not unexpected. "Uncle" Steady was a frequent visitor to our home in Gloucestershire - indeed, he stayed with us for a while in the early 50s. He wasn't related, just a courtesy uncle as was a habit back then. Lots of fun, even to young children. I remember him with great fondness.

#9 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,050 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 23:46

via Roger Collings:

In line with his written request Steady did not want a funeral so his executors have decided that it will be "family only".
Arrangements are being made for a party, which Steady wanted, later on in the spring, to celebrate his life.
Details will be published as soon as they are known