* - - - - 1 votes

Sebastian Vettel considered retirement [merged]

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#1 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:56

"Natürlich denkt man über alles Mögliche nach. Wenn plötzlich zwei Zylinder fehlen, wenn man das Auto nicht neu starten, sondern wie einen Computer neu hochfahren muss, dann fragst du dich schon: Was hat das noch mit Rennfahren zu tun?"

"Of course I had some doubts. Suddenly two cylinder were missing, cars do not restart but boot up like a computer, then you think to yourself: What does this have to do with racing?"

http://www.auto-moto...ch-8856464.html

Edited by Tourgott, 12 November 2014 - 12:57.

Advertisement

#2 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:58

Translation: Suddenly my stock has gone out of the window and i'm not the prodigal son anymore...

#3 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:01

Given that he rubbished double points from the outset, I think Vettel deserves a little more credit. Why should it be that only the fans can be disillusioned with the sport?

#4 pUs

pUs

• 2,965 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:03

Stand by for a lot of replies that basically say that if you dislike something, it's automatically because you're bad at it. And probably always was bad, anyway..

#5 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:06

Haters will hate...

#6 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:15

So why is he still around?

#7 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:17

Because not all doubts and frustration result in a resolute rejection of the thing you derive both pleasure and a sizeable income from?

#8 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:18

"Was ist die Alternative? Die Autos sind langsamer geworden, aber immer noch die schnellsten, die es gibt."

"What's the alternative? The cars got slower, but they are still the fastest."

The whole interview will be published in AMuS print version.

Edited by Tourgott, 12 November 2014 - 13:19.

#9 Kraken

Kraken

• 980 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:19

Presumably because the positives outweigh the negatives. People can still dislike parts of their job but like the others.

#10 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:20

I don't really understand Vettel's feelings. These cars are monsters, in their own unique way. Felipe Massa hit 342km/h on the main straight in Sao Paulo. They have more torque, less grip in the corners, they are harder to control than the glued to the track EBD V8s.

Yes they are more orientated around technology, but is that such a bad thing?

It's notable that Vettel is hostile to social media, and perhaps to the internet in general, based on some things I've read. Is he a Luddite, stuck in the past?

#11 pUs

pUs

• 2,965 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:26

I don't really understand Vettel's feelings. These cars are monsters, in their own unique way. Felipe Massa hit 342km/h on the main straight in Sao Paulo. They have more torque, less grip in the corners, they are harder to control than the glued to the track EBD V8s.

It's notable that Vettel is hostile to social media, and perhaps to the internet in general, based on some things I've read. Is he a Luddite, stuck in the past?

Try reading the whole interview, not just a few sentences. What he said makes perfect sense if you actually bother reading it..

#12 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 2,070 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:28

So he's gone from four years on the trot winning in a rocket ship to his first year in a non-to-shabby likely to get 2nd in the WCC car, and he couldn't see the point anymore?  Sounds like a pretty sore loser to me.

It's a shame, I quite liked vettel, but with comments like this, and his woeful underperformance this year, perhaps he should retire

#13 Brod

Brod

• 1,396 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:29

It's his right to say what he thinks and I can understand that not everything needs to make complete sense when it comes to something emotional, but it feels strange considering he started his F1 career in 2007. EBD, Motor Mappings...he didn't moan that much about those things. 

And remembering some of his comments about the tires last year, he should at least love them this year. 

Edited by Brod, 12 November 2014 - 13:30.

#14 DutchAutosportFan

DutchAutosportFan

• 18 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:30

Vettel is spoiled in the F1 thats the problem with him.

#15 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:31

Presumably because the positives outweigh the negatives. People can still dislike parts of their job but like the others.

And yet he considered retirement at the age of, what, 26?

I suspect he is being dramatic here.

#16 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:47

What is the age threshold for retirement from F1? I seem to recall Esteban Tuero retiring aged 20. If he thinks the grass is greener, why shouldn't he go elsewhere? You know, like Raikkonen?

#17 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:49

It's a shame a 27 year old is stuck in the stone age as well. Think he's been spending too much time with Bernie...

#18 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:52

Some people forget that he said he doesn't like the new engine before the season started when he did not know that

1.) Renault is that bad / Mercedes is that good.

2.) Ricciardo outpaces him with these new cars.

#19 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:56

I had the impression that it was on his mind this season. Even if he was winning, I doubt his views would be different.

But just because it's Vettel, i'm sure most of this forum will find a way to spin his words into some BS.

Advertisement

#20 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:00

Well he's still here and has just, probably, signed a lucrative long term deal with Ferrari.

I don't know, it just doesn't stack up. The timeline goes as follows:

Pre-season: the cars are rubbish because they have two less cylinders (a bizarre statement to say the least) and they boot up like a computer. Brave Sebastien decides to hitch up in Melbourne anyways.

Season starts: Vettel is angered at the lack of engine noise and let's everybody know. He suffers mechanical failures and the Red Bull is clearly not a match for the Mercedes. Much grumpiness and pulling of faces ensues.

Mid-season: Vettel has zero wins and is being beaten handily by his teammate, who is straining under the weight of three winner's wreaths and public adulation. No smiles.

And so on...

Now, at some point between the retirement considerations and the being beaten on track persistently and barely setting foot on the podium, or smiling, his mood has improved to the point that he has decided that he would now like to drive for a worse team than his current one in the same cars he claims to hate, in a sport that has nothing to do with racing?

Mind bogglingly disingenuous.

I think his problem has simply been it has been a trying year in competitive terms and he has not had the motivation. It has been a shock to him. Maybe Ferrari will provide that reset button he needs.

Edited by Knowlesy, 12 November 2014 - 14:01.

#21 Cozzie

Cozzie

• 171 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:00

It's an interesting one isn't it. I mean back in 1992-93 with the active cars etc on the chassis side they were unbelievably complex computerised machines. Now its the engines and less so the chassis, so you'd think  there would have been more reasons for Senna/Prost & Mansell to complain about the impact they had on feeling, driver imput etc. Surely with the engines today part of the skill is not only how the technicians deliver the power but how you as a driver apply it in the car within the context of tyre usage, fuel load etc..

Edited by Cozzie, 12 November 2014 - 14:01.

#22 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:20

Does that actually say he was considering retirement?

#23 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,465 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:21

Try reading the whole interview, not just a few sentences. 

Pretty difficult as the whole interview will only be published tomorrow....

Anyway, we shouldn't forget how troublesome the season started for Red Bull. Before Melbourne they could hardly run a lap without meeting some kind of problem. 

#24 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:23

Circumstances are entirely different, but this reminds me of Casey Stoner. Sometimes they do retire early.

But there is a definite 'stuck in the romantic past vibe' with Vettel and his criticism of the engines.

#25 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:23

cars got slower ???

I thought the Mercs broke the Brazilian GP quali record from 2004 (ooh ok he meant the redbull got slower...gotcha)

#26 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:25

cars got slower ???

I thought the Mercs broke the Brazilian GP quali record from 2004 (ooh ok he meant the redbull got slower...gotcha)

Interlagos was also just recently resurfaced.

#27 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:27

Interlagos was also just recently resurfaced.

More to do with running turbos, so not as affected by altitude.

#28 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:33

cars got slower ???

In race trim 2004 cars are miles quicker.

#29 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:35

More to do with running turbos, so not as affected by altitude.

Next season I'll bet large amounts that lap records start to tumble - now that they have a years data on how the cars work dynamically, you can bet your dangly bits that they'll be optimising the suspension, braking, you name its, far better than they have had them this year.

Has Seb ever been round for a major revision in the formula?

#30 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:35

This is not exclusive to Vettel. Kimi, Alonso and, if I'm not mistaken, Hamilton have also said similar things about this year's cars and the path F1 has taken.

#31 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:36

It seems he isn't saying anything different to what quite a few F1-fans have said about this new generation F1. Why hang him for it? 

I prefer a F1 driver that speaks his mind rather than being politically correct even if I don't share his opinions. 

#32 LeMans86

LeMans86

• 213 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:40

He doesn't talk about retirement in any way? He only said he didn't like the changes, looked at what else in motor racing was out there and came to the conclusion that F1 is still the best. If the conclusion would have been different, he wouldn't have retired, he would only have quit F1 for some other racing category.
People don't retire if they simply change jobs...

Edited by LeMans86, 12 November 2014 - 14:41.

#33 Pharazon

Pharazon

• 1,156 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:41

In race trim 2004 cars are miles quicker.

2004 cars had rock solid bridgestones / michelins and in race refuelling though.. not easy to make a comparision

#34 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:44

No it's very easy to make a comparison. Just look at the times. Whether they are a product of the tech/sporting regulations or whatever the stopwatch doesn't lie. 2014 cars are considerably slower than 2004 cars. To the tune of 10 minutes per race in extreme cases.

#35 MrWorldwideJr

MrWorldwideJr

• 110 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:51

Well he's still here and has just, probably, signed a lucrative long term deal with Ferrari.

I don't know, it just doesn't stack up. The timeline goes as follows:

Pre-season: the cars are rubbish because they have two less cylinders (a bizarre statement to say the least) and they boot up like a computer. Brave Sebastien decides to hitch up in Melbourne anyways.

Season starts: Vettel is angered at the lack of engine noise and let's everybody know. He suffers mechanical failures and the Red Bull is clearly not a match for the Mercedes. Much grumpiness and pulling of faces ensues.

Mid-season: Vettel has zero wins and is being beaten handily by his teammate, who is straining under the weight of three winner's wreaths and public adulation. No smiles.

And so on...

Now, at some point between the retirement considerations and the being beaten on track persistently and barely setting foot on the podium, or smiling, his mood has improved to the point that he has decided that he would now like to drive for a worse team than his current one in the same cars he claims to hate, in a sport that has nothing to do with racing?

Mind bogglingly disingenuous.

I think his problem has simply been it has been a trying year in competitive terms and he has not had the motivation. It has been a shock to him. Maybe Ferrari will provide that reset button he needs.

Try thinking of it this way.

You've achieved virtually all that there is to achieve in the sport already.  The cars are taking a direction you don't like so you consider going to do something else, be that another racing series or retirement or whatever else.  After all you have enough money that you can do whatever you want with the rest of your life.  You decide that despite the problems you have with it F1 is still better than all the other options so you decide to carry on.  At some point during the season the opportunity comes about to drive for the team you've always wanted to drive for (it's been a pretty well known fact for some time that Ferrari are more than just another team to Vettel) so you go and do that.

Don't get me wrong I don't particularly agree with his stance on the new engines but his thought process makes a lot of sense for a guy who had probably realised that he needed a new challenge.

#36 Nathan

Nathan

• 6,841 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:53

Moments of a pout sitting in your garage on a February day when the others are doing laps, which is human.  I'm sure once the computers started the car and turbo kicked in he went racing.

Edited by Nathan, 12 November 2014 - 14:54.

#37 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 15:03

Does that actually say he was considering retirement?

There is no quote from him about that, but the narrative reads that he toyed with pulling out of F1, not retiring from motorsports, based on the new regs and what it might mean to the resultant cars.  Subsequently, despite the negatives (lack of sound, fewer cylinders, etc), the cars were still the fastest and he digs the sport.  There are only those two quotes - the article comes out tomorrow. 

Translation: Suddenly my stock has gone out of the window and i'm not the prodigal son anymore...

You are allegedly "translating" Vettel's perspective.  How on earth would he figure his stock has fallen?  He made Macca's A list, he was purportedly hired by the team he values the most in F1 at a lucrative salary - and his old team worked its butt off to try to keep him, despite a rocky season.   From his point of view, what indication would he have that his stock has fallen to the extent that he would consider leaving F1?   This sounds more like simple bashing than a reasoned assumption to me. 

Edited by bourbon, 12 November 2014 - 15:06.

#38 tmzxaar

tmzxaar

• 379 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 15:05

If he was in that Merc he wouldn't be saying a thing...

#39 ANF

ANF

• 29,055 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 15:05

Maybe he's got better things to do in his private life than go online and be reminded by so-called fans what a spoiled fool he is.

Advertisement

#40 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 15:07

Quite a false translation, I think. Alonso has expressed similar sentiments, and who's stock is higher than his?

#41 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 15:14

Quite a false translation, I think. Alonso has expressed similar sentiments, and who's stock is higher than his?

Ah, but I'd suggest that Fernando although sulking, still performs very well despite his car's limitations.  I'd suggest that's why he retains his credibility.  Seb however...

#42 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 15:16

Maybe he's got better things to do in his private life than go online and be reminded by so-called fans what a spoiled fool he is.

Quite. Shock horror, not everyone is interested in the bore-fests that are Twitter and Facebook. Some people are happy to live life in the real world. They are optional, not a requirement. If he isn't on either, bloody good on him I say. Maybe he just doesn't need a constant ego massage and mind blowingly dull 'updates' from 'friends' to get through the day.

Edited by superden, 12 November 2014 - 15:17.

#43 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 15:22

Quite. Shock horror, not everyone is interested in the bore-fests that are Twitter and Facebook. Some people are happy to live life in the real world. They are optional, not a requirement. If he isn't on either, bloody good on him I say. Maybe he just doesn't need a constant ego massage and mind blowingly dull 'updates' from 'friends' to get through the day.

I'm helping you through your day and massaging your ego, by liking your comment Den ;)

#44 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 15:26

Ah, but I'd suggest that Fernando although sulking, still performs very well despite his car's limitations.  I'd suggest that's why he retains his credibility.  Seb however...

You still have not explained how Seb's performance had anything to do with a consideration he had about withdrawing before the season commenced.  In the little we have, he said: 

"Suddenly two cylinder were missing, cars do not restart but boot up like a computer, then you think to yourself: What does this have to do with racing?" 

Obviously the cars didn't suddenly take on these characteristics here at the end of the season.  So his consideration was when he found out about the regs and was still on a high from winning 4 championships in a row - and he spoke of his dislike for the V6 and the crap sound early on (which Todt publicly remonstrated him for), so we know he didn't just come up with this.

You keep repeating that his performance this year has something to do with considerations he had at the start of the season - how is that reasonable?

Edited by bourbon, 12 November 2014 - 15:58.

#45 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 15:27

No it's very easy to make a comparison. Just look at the times. Whether they are a product of the tech/sporting regulations or whatever the stopwatch doesn't lie. 2014 cars are considerably slower than 2004 cars. To the tune of 10 minutes per race in extreme cases.

Funny that. I remember 2004 races were often so dull that it felt like they went on an awful lot longer...

#46 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,222 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 15:37

Its a fair point. As someone who tinkers with cars I don't feel much connect between the cars on the road and these insanely complex and costly computers that they drive these days.

Just because Seb is a champ why should he be different and not allowed to have a view?

Also noting some very poor attempts to discredit the man here today.

#47 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 15:42

It was also very interesting when he switched cars with Gerhard Berger this year. You could see how much fun he had in the old Ferrari.

Even Gerhard Berger said: "That's your car, the "women version". And here is my old car - a real car for men."

#48 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,708 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 15:42

Given that he rubbished double points from the outset, I think Vettel deserves a little more credit. Why should it be that only the fans can be disillusioned with the sport?

I think every driver rubbished double points.

It's 2014, everything is run by a computer, stupid to suggest that in some way that makes it not racing.

#49 427MkIV

427MkIV

• 279 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 15:44

Hard to believe he'd seriously consider walking away from $32 million/year, even if he is "set for life." I'm sure he could get a drive in any other series he wanted, but not for that salary.

#50 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 15:50

I think every driver rubbished double points.

It's 2014, everything is run by a computer, stupid to suggest that in some way that makes it not racing.

I wasn't talking about other drivers. My point was that Vettel has stated his dissatisfaction on the record prior to the beginning of this season. Thus, the suggestion that this statement comes at least entirely due to him no longer winning everything is misguided.