Photo

George Whitehead W.R.A. history

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mikeallen

mikeallen

• 40 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 16:27

I'm researching the Oulton Park Gold Cup meetings and came across George Whitehead of W.R.A. engineering and Ford Anglia fame. This is 1963 and he is entered in the sports car race in what I think is his own car, The W.R.A. Mk III Ford. Unfortunately the results sheets show he got as far as Knicker Brook before "accident" is recorded. He is entered under The Cheshire Racing Team which also begs the question why, when apparently W.R.A. Engineering is very much a southern based team...Harrow? Can anyone help out here? I can't find any photos (my dad might have one but unless I know what I'm looking for I wouldn't know it if I saw it!!) The Racing Sports Car site only has the MkII and MkIII identified and Beric Ewin, Max Ward and Norman Barlow as drivers. Was there a MkI?

Advertisement

#2 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 20:04

Off topic a bit, but what sort of photos does your father have over what period? 

Have you spoken to Max Ward? I may have a number here somewhere.

Roger Lund

#3 mikeallen

mikeallen

• 40 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 21:23

Roger,

I am only just uncovering what he has!! It's hard work :-( Max would be a good person to talk to as he appeared at the Gold Cup meetings and if he drove the WRA he would surely be able to add a story. I'm trying to avoid race commentaries and concentrate on the people and their stories and use "snaps" rather than pro stock photos as we have all seen the F1 cars but not the WRAs of this world.

Mike

#4 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 21:46

You are leaning on an open door there.....

RL

#5 mikeallen

mikeallen

• 40 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 19:00

The book was finally published on 31st Jan 2017. Anyone interested in a copy please message me. Next to create a website where a lot of the material I didn't put in the book can go.

#6 mikeallen

mikeallen

• 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 16:38

Just recently at the CSCC Thruxton meeting a beautifully restored George Whitehead Anglia was shown off. There were a number of people who would be very interested to know if George is still around and want to pass on their best wishes and regards etc. Anyone have any ideas? It would be lovely to re-unite him with the car.