Photo

Nuvolari at Brno in 1935

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 bergwerk

bergwerk

• 869 posts

Posted 15 April 2001 - 18:15

Enzo Ferrari is quoted saying that Nuvolari won the 1935 Brno GP while driving on 3 wheels.
In researching Nuvolari's race history he's listed as coming second in the 1935 Brno after 33 Hours 50 minutes for a distance of 495 Km.
Was Enzo wrong, was there more than one GP class and did they really drive 495 Km?

Advertisement

#2 ry6

ry6

• 525 posts

Posted 15 April 2001 - 18:55

It would appear that Enzo was wrong.
The Roland King-Farlow records indicate that Bernd Rosemeyer (Auto Union) won the race, at the Masaryk Circuit, from Tazio's(Alfa) at 82.39 mph

#3 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 16 April 2001 - 04:15

Hello berg,
You can find a report of this race at http://www.kolumbus....ellman/main.htm . Go to 1935 and click at "Part 3". When that page comes up, scroll down till the Masaryk race appears. That's the race you are looking for.

#4 ry6

ry6

• 525 posts

Posted 16 April 2001 - 09:33

Leif your work is truly incredible. Congratulations.

I have often looked over your superb pages but sometimes I forget how valuable your contribution to racing history is. Only problem is whenever I look at your results pages and reports it causes me more problems as other interesting information comes to light about which I want to find out MORE!

Back to Brno.

An extract from Motor Racing with Mercedes Benz by George Monkhouse -

"Despite the offer of very generous starting money, Mercedes Benz decided not to enter the Masaryk Grand Prix in Czechoslovakia, leaving the race to Auto Union and Alfa Romeo.
Stuck received a partridge in his face at about 125 mph, retiring with a damaged eye, while brilliant young Rosemeyer won his first race for Auto Union, with Nuvolari coaxing the new 3.8 litre Alfa into second place ahead of Chiron in an older "Monoposto".

To answer the first question at the start of the thread - I think Enzo got his facts mixed up and/or also indulged in some poetic licence after all Nuvolari and his exploits WERE something else and maybe on re-telling the exploits get a little embellished.

None the less Nuvolari is my favourite of all time despite the fact that I have only read about him and seen the odd video and photo.

Rob

#5 ry6

ry6

• 525 posts

Posted 16 April 2001 - 09:41

I left this out of my previous reply.

Enzo Ferrari was apparently an accomplished journalist, maybe self taught.

I have seen some magazines which he used to edit and write stories for. I remember one having a photo of Guy Moll on the cover.

I can't think of the name of the magazine at the moment, but they looked good and were all about his cars, drivers and racing.

#6 Leif Snellman

Leif Snellman

• 1,136 posts

Posted 16 April 2001 - 16:50

Originally posted by ry6
Leif your work is truly incredible. Congratulations.

I have often looked over your superb pages but sometimes I forget how valuable your contribution to racing history is.

Thanks! :blush: :blush:

#7 bergwerk

bergwerk

• 869 posts

Posted 16 April 2001 - 16:54

Thank you all.
It does indeed appear that Enzo remembered this race through the Modena filter which on the other hand given Nuvolari's talent was easy to do.

#8 Patrick Italiano

Patrick Italiano

• 412 posts

Posted 17 April 2001 - 10:45

I remember a picture of Nuvolari in a Tipo C with a rear wheel on the rim and, as far as my recall serves, it was in Czechoslovakia. But I can't tell whether it was 1935 or 1936.

I have to check home...:)

#9 sat

sat

• 347 posts

Posted 17 April 2001 - 10:51

It was in 1937 - Nuvolari was outclassed against german cars, but with his 6 km race without tyre (to nearest depot) he make a sympathy of crowd. Incidentally, Nuvolari have never luck in Brno...

#10 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 20:30

Originally posted by Patrick Italiano
I remember a picture of Nuvolari in a Tipo C with a rear wheel on the rim and, as far as my recall serves, it was in Czechoslovakia. But I can't tell whether it was 1935 or 1936.

I have to check home...:)

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but...

Posted Image
Copyright and Source Unknown.

The filename says 1936, but that's an error.

#11 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 22:39

Originally posted by Paul Taylor

Posted Image

Are you certain? The car looks like an 8C (1935) or 12C (1936), and not like the lowline 12C37...

#12 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 23:30

Yes, it is 1937, Stu. Nuvolari had #10 in 1935 and wasn't at Brno in 1936. They used the 1936 cars in 1937. Tazio came 5th, having lost a whole lap:

http://www.kolumbus....an/gp376.htm#43

Paul: no need to apologise!

#13 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 23:39

People get a little touchy on certain forums when you bring up a thread 2 months old, let alone 5 years old ;)

Anyway, I was reading through Motor Sport magazines Oct. and Nov. 1937 to find out what happened to Tazio, but I couldn't find any report on this race. I assumed Nuvolari just got a puncture and the tyre fell off the wheel somewhere. Anyone know what really happened? Surprised that Leif's site doesn't mention it, to be honest.

#14 sat

sat

• 347 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:17

As mentioned above, Nuvolari got puncture, tyre fell off rim. He run with 70 kph to nearest (alternate - so in article, i don't know what it is ) depot.

#15 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:27

You never have to apologise with such a picture of such a great driver! :up:

(I have this picture in many books, but still it remains a fantastic action shot)

#16 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:04

People get a little touchy on certain forums when you bring up a thread 2 months old, let alone 5 years old ;)

Anyway, I was reading through Motor Sport magazines Oct. and Nov. 1937 to find out what happened to Tazio, but I couldn't find any report on this race. I assumed Nuvolari just got a puncture and the tyre fell off the wheel somewhere. Anyone know what really happened? Surprised that Leif's site doesn't mention it, to be honest.

This is not one of those "certain forums." I wonder why more of the older threas are not revived.

Ah, OMF, never one to let facts get in the way of a good story....

#17 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 20:30

If nobody replies, may I?

Nuvolari competed at Brno in 1930-1932, 1934, 1935 and 1937. Not in 1936. After the italian GP he went to the US for the Vanderbilt Cup.

He drove in 1937 in a 12C-36, #18 as pictured (26 september to be exact). A lost crucial racing car part didn't easily stop him. He finished 5th.

#18 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:30

Posted Image

Nuvolari who held fifth and sixth place for most of the 1937 race at Brno, lost a tire on the ninth lap and drove on the rim for about a quarter of the circuit to the emergency depot at Ostrovacice. He finished fifth. This was a rather good result against the much stronger German cars in front of him.

#19 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:36

The Nuvolari incident with the Alfa running on a bare rim is caught on film in the second of the Shell Titan series.

By the way did Tazio die of emphysema, some other lung congestive disease or TB? I have never read in print a definitive cause beyond the superficial.

Advertisement

#20 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 19:38

All of the biographies I have read quote emphysema.

#21 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 22:04

I obviously need glasses as I have several TN books including Lurani's original, or perhaps I'm going doo lally.

Otherwise it just occurred to me that so many people suffered or died from TB post war (it was endemic in Eastern Europe and parts of Asia and arrived with WW2 refugees and killed my maternal grandmother and nearly my father in the late 1940s/early 1950s) hence the comments.

Anyway thank you Alan I will now return to doing????????????? Damn can't remember. Now where were we?

#22 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 23:10

Originally posted by Paul Parker

Otherwise it just occurred to me that so many people suffered or died from TB post war (it was endemic in Eastern Europe and parts of Asia and arrived with WW2 refugees and killed my maternal grandmother and nearly my father in the late 1940s/early 1950s) hence the comments.

I've seen it in the papers the other day that they're predicting a new wave, of more resiliant variant, from about the same direction... Sorry for the digression.

#23 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:02

I believe TN contracted it a s result of inhaling noxious fuel vapour over donkeys years, or is that a myth?

#24 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 14:47

Yes Alan, the fumes from corosive fuel is a commonly stated causative for TN's demise but I did nevertheless wonder if it could have been TB.

Emphysema is more usually associated with heavy smoking and Tazio did smoke did he not, so perhaps it could have been a combination. However I have to observe that none of the other surviving pre-war GP aces (who all had exposure to the same acetone laced rocket fuel) died of this particular ailment to the best of my knowledge, but I stand to be corrected.

Otherwise I'm glad Wolf mentioned the rise and rise of TB again, and according to my medical advice the increase of this dreadful disease and indeed of assorted STDs in Britain (and presumably elsewhere) is because it is being imported.