- - - - -

Le Mans Circuit Changes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 15:42

Autosport's article regarding the changes to the Le Mans circuit prior to the 2015 event.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/117644

Asphalt to replace the grass all the way from Mulsanne to the Porsche Curves.  Also, a 30m increase in runoff prior to the right hander before the Porsche Curves, which presumably would remove a section of the woodland.

I'm afraid that the traditional sights and public road racing aspect of Le Mans is disappearing rapidly and when the new alterations come in for making Arnage and Indianapolis section permanent circuit, with a bypass there won't be a great deal left.

I'm probably too sentimental about it, as I have been since both the chicanes on Mulsanne and then the loss of the straight from Dunlop to the Esses and I understand that safety is the major reason for these changes, but what are other peoples thoughts? 

Edited by DampMongoose, 10 February 2015 - 16:35.

Advertisement

#2 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 15:45

A man just died during a major sporting event on that track a few years ago. I know that there is danger to racing, but it is clear that it needs to be safer.

#3 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 15:46

It's not a full replacement, it'll be more like the verges/emergency lanes either side of the public road down the Mulsanne. Still a bit of an eyesore for now, and will provide ample opportunity for cutting corners if Race Control isn't careful.

As per that 30m increase in run-off, it's not just the woodland area that's going to be affected, it's also the spectator bankings at the entrance of the Porsche Curves. It is (or used to be) a fantastic spectator spot, and I was looking forward to going down there to watch the cars when they first come out for Wednesday practice as I did last year. Looks like that's out.

#4 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 16:28

From Arnage to Porsche curves

B9Bf0ubIEAAR_Y7.jpg

Entry towards Indianapolis. I think this is a fair representation of how the new "shoulders" will be from Mulsanne.

2015-01-travaux-acotements-virage-porsch

Edited by Richard T, 10 February 2015 - 16:29.

#5 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 17:14

I can kind of see the need from Mulsane to Indianapolis, it's a very narrow road down there and a bit of extra space to dodge a backmarker can be useful . Arnage to the Porsche Curves though is very wide and in a racing context I don't see the point to it but it might have more to do with public safety for the other 51 weeks of the year since it is public road. Same goes for the Arnage bypass, apparentley that junction is an accident black spot so they're removing it, I like the fact that the ACO have decided to keep two of the tracks most iconic corners as is pretty much. 

#6 AlexLangheck

AlexLangheck

• 398 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 17:25

I suppose safety had to come first, and rightly so. I never had a big problem with the chicanes for Mulsanne (or Hunadieres) - however I did have a problem with putting in curves at the Dunlop Bridge, has completely ruined the early part of the lap. And what for? MotoGP.... Has it been worth it? Not in my opinion.

#7 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,771 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 18:21

Not sure I like the removal of grass verges. The drive-where-you-like attitude to circuit design doesn't help the racing or the mystique.

#8 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 19:38

:down:

#9 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 20:35

A man just died during a major sporting event on that track a few years ago. I know that there is danger to racing, but it is clear that it needs to be safer.

A man died because unprotected armco was mounted flush to a tree, not because there was grass runoff...

Always very depressing seeing 'natural' surfaces replaced by miserable asphault. :down: