* * * * - 1 votes

Barcelona test 1 - 19-22 February 2015

• Please log in to reply
1299 replies to this topic

#1 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,598 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:04

Let's start a new thread for the news and stories for the Barcelona testing sessions.

Mika Häkkinen has started to post once a month for McLaren site and this is his second entry. I found it very interesting since he thinks Barcelona track is one of his favourite test environments because it reveals very well how good a car's aerodynamics are. He e.g. tells that for the both years when he won the WDC, car was very good at Barcelona testing. Also other very interesting insights how he and Ron Dennis established a full time test driver practice and his views of Silverstone as a test environment.

http://www.mclaren.c...ing-revolution/

Advertisement

#2 EarnardBeccelstone

EarnardBeccelstone

• 89 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:07

Barcelona is supposed to be the ultimate aero test arena for F1 cars - long radius, medium to high speed corners, mixed with some very fast short radius turns.

Its also a key circuit for figuring out tyre wear - the track circuit is quite abrasive and the long right hand turns put a lot of energy into the front right and lots of slip on the rears.

I don't expect anything spectacular for this test.

Most teams will be cranking up their engines a bit, after taking it easy at Jerez.

I'm hoping that McLaren Honda and Lotus Mercedes just go out an pour on the laps. Mercedes testing form is ominous and these teams need to play some catch-up.

I'd expect to see times about 2.5-3 seconds better than the 2014 mid-year tests. I don't think anyone particularly wants to play their hand yet.

#3 Man of the race

Man of the race

• 1,570 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:48

Since Barcelona hosts two sessions this year, I would suggest to modify this topic header to refer to 1st session only, from 19th 22nd Feb, and make a new topic for the final session. It would help when checking the progress and events later.

#4 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 16:21

Drivers confirmed for Barcelona test: @JensonButton jumps in the MP4-30 for days 1 & 2, followed by @alo_oficial for 3 & 4. #McLarenHonda

Sauber

Felipe Nasr : February 19 and 22

Marcus Ericsson: February 20-21

http://www.gpupdate....f1-news/321888/

Is this the best place to post driver line-ups for the Barcelona tests?

Ferrari line-ups for the Barcelona tests (possibly, I've not seen any confirmation from Ferrari so I apologise if they turn out to be incorrect)
2nd Test
19th/20th Feb - Kimi Raikkonen
21st/22nd Feb - Sebastian Vettel
Final Test
26th Feb - Kimi Raikkonen
27th Feb - Sebastian Vettel
28th Feb - Kimi Raikkonen
1st March - Sebastian Vettel

Toro Rosso's line-up is on the previous page but so far I can't find any other line-ups but its probably a bit early. I did see something that suggested Susie Wolff will be driving the Williams on the opening day of the 2nd test (19th Feb) but I can't remember where and cant find it again so who knows?  :confused:?
I really want to see McLarens line-up for the final Barcelona test (I'm kind of hoping (and expecting) Fernando will be driving on the Sunday as the crowds will be manic and that's the day I'm not there  :p (going from the huge crowds in Jerez on Sunday compared to the rest of the days) - I can watch him on the Friday instead when it should be a little quieter- assuming they will alternate days again)

Max Verstappens schedule:

Jerez Day 2 and 4 

Barcelona (1st week) Day 1 and 3 

Barcelona (2nd week) Day 2 and 4

#5 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:12

as the FI close to collapse topic is closed, and it is relevant here as well...

Barcelona bound! Car & kit on the road, we are heading to Catalunya! #FeelTheForce #OnTheRoadAgain

B9uAhw8IYAA9VnO.jpg

now is that last year's, or already this year's car?

Edited by Zava, 13 February 2015 - 12:12.

#6 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,160 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:16

Last year's car for the first test, this year's car (hopefully) for the second test.

#7 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:22

Notice the green line at the bottom of sidepod :D

#8 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 13:04

as the FI close to collapse topic is closed, and it is relevant here as well...

Sahara Force India @ForceIndiaF1 · 1h1 hour ago

Barcelona bound! Car & kit on the road, we are heading to Catalunya! #FeelTheForce #OnTheRoadAgain

B9uAhw8IYAA9VnO.jpg

now is that last year's, or already this year's car?
You could also have used the car thread 2015 Force India's VJM08

#9 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 13:16

Mercedes reveals Barcelona test line-up

http://richlandf1.com/?p=33439

Lewis Hamilton will pilot the Mercedes W06 on the opening day of the test at the Circuit de Catalunya, before handing over to Nico Rosberg on day two.

The reigning champion will be back behind the wheel of the new Mercedes on day three, with Rosberg driving on the fourth and final day of the second test.

#10 Ducks

Ducks

• 829 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 20:05

http://www.grandprix...s/display/09867

Wehrlein-SNE23910.JPG

Mercedes reserve driver Pascal Wehrlein looks set to make his Formula 1 debut at next week's Barcelona pre-season test according to German media reports.

#11 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,783 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 20:21

Does Wehrlein have a Superlicence?

(He doesn't need one in order to test obviously.)

Edited by Risil, 15 February 2015 - 20:21.

#12 SirT

SirT

• 722 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 21:35

Wehrlein in the Force India or Lotus? Doubt he will be in the Mercedes?

#13 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 21:46

Force India (according to the above article) to cover lack of payment on engines.

Is anyone going to the test???

#14 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 22:18

Notice the green line at the bottom of sidepod :D

Looks good.

#15 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 15:08

Red Bull line-up for Barcelona:

Thurs/Fri: Daniel Ricciardo

Sat/Sun: Daniil Kvyat

#16 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 17:10

Force India, and I read he'll drive all four days. Wouldn't even surprise me if he eventually takes Hulkenberg's racing seat if Force India's financial woes continue. That way, they could possibly get a discount on the Mercedes engine.

Edited by DutchQuicksilver, 16 February 2015 - 17:11.

#17 Scuderia312

Scuderia312

• 135 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 17:42

Force India, and I read he'll drive all four days. Wouldn't even surprise me if he eventually takes Hulkenberg's racing seat if Force India's financial woes continue. That way, they could possibly get a discount on the Mercedes engine.

If he takes Hulkenberg's race seat or Force India (Sauber/Lotus) did not come up in Melbourne i'll seriously consider stopping watching f1, just two years after i thought that they must knock me unconscious and put on a life-support to make me miss a race.

Edited by Scuderia312, 16 February 2015 - 17:42.

#18 DS27

DS27

• 4,687 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 18:02

If he takes Hulkenberg's race seat or Force India (Sauber/Lotus) did not come up in Melbourne i'll seriously consider stopping watching f1, just two years after i thought that they must knock me unconscious and put on a life-support to make me miss a race.

Yep, i'm with you there. You have to weep for some of the talented guys who are not going to get their chance purely because of the current state of F1.

#19 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 18:51

Agreed, but I wouldn't rule it out. As far as I know, Pérez brings more sponsorship money than Hulkenberg, so my guess is IF Force India needs to drop one of those two, it will be Hulkenberg.

Advertisement

#20 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,751 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 19:15

Does Wehrlein have a Superlicence?

(He doesn't need one in order to test obviously.)

That's an interesting question. Can't find anything to say it's been awarded, but he did do the mileage required under the old rules at a test last year so suspect he probably applied then before the new rules kicked in.

#21 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 19:17

As far as I know, Pérez brings more sponsorship money than Hulkenberg

Does even Hulkenberg bring any money?

#22 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 20:27

Forecast is good

#23 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,960 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 20:34

Yep, i'm with you there. You have to weep for some of the talented guys who are not going to get their chance purely because of the current state of F1.

To be fair, Wehrlein is pretty good and highly rated by Mercedes. If he did, it wouldn't be the end of the world. It wouldn't be like an Adrian Sutil or Max Chilton suddenly ending up there...

Oh no, now what have I said.  ;)

#24 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 21:04

From what I'm hearing one of these 2 will happen with Force India this week:

Pascal drives 2 days and Hulk and Perez get 1 each

or

Pascal drives 3 days and Hulk and Perez split 1 day

lol

#25 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 21:16

or

lol

They must owe a bucket load to Merc for that scenario

#26 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 21:34

According to TS, Susie Wolff will also test Williams at barcelona, she could get half days from both Massa and Bottas.

#27 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 21:38

or

lol

I have heard Pascal could drive every day (possibly split with Hulk and Perez)

#28 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 22:08

Does even Hulkenberg bring any money?

With the points he scores, yes.

To be fair, Wehrlein is pretty good and highly rated by Mercedes. If he did, it wouldn't be the end of the world. It wouldn't be like an Adrian Sutil or Max Chilton suddenly ending up there...

Oh no, now what have I said.  ;)

Well nothing to suggest Wehrlein is any better than those two.

Edited by Seanspeed, 16 February 2015 - 22:09.

#29 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:29

Wehrlein is pretty talented. Certainly he would not be Mercedes third driver, if Merc didn't see anything in him. It is hard to compare him to others since he is only 19 years old and has been in DTM for a few years, not in single seaters. But I'd take him over the likes of Chilton, for sure.

#30 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,960 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 13:15

With the points he scores, yes.

Well nothing to suggest Wehrlein is any better than those two.

Not at this stage, but put him in an F1 car and find out. I bet he'd be matching Hulkenberg/Perez rather quickly.

#31 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 15:27

Wehrlein looks fairly promising and very much worth a shot, but I think you're wildly underrating how good those 2 are.

#32 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 15:48

Williams line-up

Thurs 19th - Susie Wollf

Fri 20th - Valtteri Bottas

Sat 21st - Felipe Massa

Sun 22nd - Valtteri Bottas/Felipe Massa

#33 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 16:02

Force India

Thursday- Pascal

Friday- Sergio

Saturday- Nico

Sunday- Pascal

old car of course

#34 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 16:13

Force India

Thursday- Pascal

Friday- Sergio

Saturday- Nico

Sunday- Pascal

old car of course

That will be some useful running for Pascal as I am presuming he will be in the Merc for 2 out of the 4 in-season test days as well.

#35 ShivyF1

ShivyF1

• 141 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 16:40

Unfortunately I won't be making either of the Barcelona tests.  Seems Bernie's clampdown of bloggers and digital media has taken full effect.  I've worked for a digital media company last few years taking pictures at testing.  Now the FIA have restricted all online media to paddock access only.  That means I'm not allowed on track or in the pitlane as a photographer...is there any point in going?....nope....another nail in the F1 coffin.....Formula E it is then!

#36 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 19:17

Williams line-up

Thurs 19th - Susie Wollf

Fri 20th - Valtteri Bottas

Sat 21st - Felipe Massa

Sun 22nd - Valtteri Bottas/Felipe Massa

They must feel pretty confident about the FW37 already. I doubt Wolff could contribute much to the development of the car, yet they give her a full day of testing.

#37 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 19:22

Supposedly she does a lot of simulator work, so it could make sense for some extra bit of data correlation.

#38 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 21:31

Unfortunately I won't be making either of the Barcelona tests.  Seems Bernie's clampdown of bloggers and digital media has taken full effect.  I've worked for a digital media company last few years taking pictures at testing.  Now the FIA have restricted all online media to paddock access only.  That means I'm not allowed on track or in the pitlane as a photographer...is there any point in going?....nope....another nail in the F1 coffin.....Formula E it is then!

Unfcukingbelieveable! 

#39 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:39

According to spanish press (from the McLaren thread) Fernandon is maybe swapping Saturday for Friday due to predicted rain on Saturday.
(so possible line-up if this turns out to be correct Jenson = Thurs/Saturday, Fernando = Fri/Sunday)
 (edited as apparently it is an unreliable source)

Lotus line-up:
Thurs: Pastor Maldonado
Fri: Jolyon Palmer
Sat: Pastor Maldonado
Sun: Romain Grosjean
(Think this again shows where Lotus's money is coming from as it will take the days Pastor has driven the car to 4 whilst Romain will have only had 2)
 Link http://www.f1fanatic...s-at-barcelona/

Edited by Exb, 18 February 2015 - 10:09.

Advertisement

#40 loki0420

loki0420

• 997 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:46

According to spanish press (from the McLaren thread) Fernandon is swapping Saturday for Friday due to predicted rain on Saturday.

(so Jenson = Thurs/Saturday, Fernando = Fri/Sunday)

There is zero chance it turn out true.

#41 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:50

There is zero chance it turn out true.

I have no idea - just putting the info in this thread as it is about the test line-up so should go in here as well.

http://www.cope.es/d...s-a-Alonso.html

The article claims that Fernando already had his day on rain and that's why they are giving him Friday, because it will rain on Saturday. Probably the team want to be on the safe side and give Fernando at least one day on dry in case it rains on Sunday, but I don't know. I don't think they will do much fine tuning for each driver in this test anyway.

#42 loki0420

loki0420

• 997 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:56

I have no idea - just putting the info in this thread as it is about the test line-up so should go in here as well.

I meant it's not even close to reliable source. Let alone official word. And it's not like Fernando had one wet day against Jenson having 100+ laps in the dry - so it's just stupid and illogical. Just saying.  :cat:

#43 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:06

I meant it's not even close to reliable source. Let alone official word. And it's not like Fernando had one wet day against Jenson having 100+ laps in the dry - so it's just stupid and illogical. Just saying.  :cat:

Oh OK - I have no idea if its reliable (I'm not familiar with Spanish press) & will admit I didn't read it but rather just read Kosmo's translation and that did make it sound like it was a fact.

It looks like rain is expected for Saturday, Fernando will drive on friday and sunday.

My bad, I will edit my previous post.

#44 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:27

They must owe a bucket load to Merc for that scenario

Yes, $35m.

#45 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:30

When does the testing begin tomorrow?

A bit apprehensive about the performance.

Yep - tomorrow, 9am-5pm CET (8-4 UK) with an hours fixed lunchbreak (probably 1pm-2pm if previous years are anything to go by)

Edited by Exb, 18 February 2015 - 10:30.

#46 ShivyF1

ShivyF1

• 141 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:43

Unfcukingbelieveable! 

Not much I can do really, I have other avenues, but its a crying shame, the sports imploding under its own ego

#47 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,938 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:53

Why is F1 run by imbeciles? There is no bad publicity... The more attention F1 gets the better- one should think. Apparently the geniuses of the FiA or FOM have decided that too much publicity hurts the sport.

#48 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 13:13

Why is F1 run by imbeciles? There is no bad publicity... The more attention F1 gets the better- one should think. Apparently the geniuses of the FiA or FOM have decided that too much publicity hurts the sport.

However, I'm sure the currently accredited journalists and photographers are happy if there a re fewer of them....Less competition.

#49 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 15:53

Yeah they have probably sold the image rights and photo opportunities.

#50 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 16:01

Yeah they have probably sold the image rights and photo opportunities.

FOM haven't sold the rights.

I'm just saying that established outlets who earn money with F1 news and photography will not be unhappy if there are fewer players.

Just playing devil's advocate here.