* - - - - 1 votes

Red Bull Air Race

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:10

This counts also as a motorsport so deserves a thread.

First race of the season in Abu Dhabi now. Official stream: http://www.redbullai...com/en_INT/live

Advertisement

#2 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 13:09

I have never understood the attraction of air races. I love the planes but get no joy watching an air race. I expect I am the odd one out again!

#3 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,733 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 13:12

I have never understood the attraction of air races. I love the planes but get no joy watching an air race. I expect I am the odd one out again!

Have you seen it live?

It's a bit like airshows. They are great to attend live, but totally lose the magic when watched on TV.

#4 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 17:24

Thanks for thar link! First I had heard that this was still on' Assuming same as  when held previusly not realy air racing but aerobatics doging baloons? They fly one at a time agiainst the clock-

#5 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,994 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 19:15

This counts also as a motorsport so deserves a thread.

Meh, debatable. 

#6 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 20:16

Thread stays, debate over.

#7 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,994 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 20:31

Thread stays, debate over.

*considers sending a PM to continue debate just to prove statement wrong*

#8 scolbourne

scolbourne

• 554 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:10

Should Reno Air Races be in this thread or have their own ?

Watching ten WWII fighters racing only a few feet from you is something everyone should see at least once.

I follow air racing in the same way as F1 , where the fun is in predicting how well the modifications and new ideas will work. The closer you follow the sport the more fascinating it becomes. Unlimited air races have very few rules other than a minimum weight and must be a piston engine. Nitrous oxide , turbos, superchargers, multiple engines etc. are all allowed. The WWII War Birds still rule with the battle between radial (Sea Fury and Bear Cats) and watercooled (Mustangs).

Home built designs are allowed and have included hybrids of Lear Jets/Mustang and one powered by two Nissan Car engines.

#9 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:53

Have you seen it live?

It's a bit like airshows. They are great to attend live, but totally lose the magic when watched on TV.

A long time ago. I enjoy the planes, the fabulous engines, take offs, landings but once they are up in the air....   But perhaps I need to look at it again. 

#10 scolbourne

scolbourne

• 554 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:56

Video of Reno Air Race

#11 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:12

I am very lucky

I went to airshows when they were truly awesome.

SR71, Hercules display team, F14, Lightning, SU27. MIG29, Phantom scramble, saw the prototype Tornado interceptor and GR1, B52, B1, talking to pilots, A10, Galaxy, Black Arrows, Blue Angels.

Mildenhall was awesome back then, saw a B2 there for one of it sfirst visits, they could fly over the crowd line more, laying on top of a van watchign a Bucc takeoff and over mt head came the F111 that just finished his display and buzzed the crowd, I fell off the van!  Awesome stuff.

Modern airshows are still very good, a great thing, but too many damn photographers, they ruin the sight line for everyone and get there stupid early on their pathetic ladders, really a shame for the families and kids who just want to see stuff from the fence.

Air race is OK I suppose, but there is only one air race and that's Reno, old warbirds doing nearly 500mph in tuned planes, one my my bucketlist events.

Red Bull is good, but like a lot of their things, you do it once and never again.

Edited by chunder27, 15 February 2015 - 12:13.

#12 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,084 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 13:59

I find that since the relaunch last year it's lost some of it's...character. Raising the pylons, scrapping the knife edge and generally having more wide flowing courses is definitely not as exciting. I know it's for safety and all and it's good to have it back but it's just not quite the same 

#13 BCM

BCM

• 1,965 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 14:07

Saw the guy that ditched into the Swan River whilst eating lunch by chance a few years ago.

Nothing else to see air race wise?

#14 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 17:53

Meh, debatable. 

depends whos definition of 'motorsport? Acording to the FIA only vehclues with4 or more wheeks-from karts to trucks.FIM covers 2 & 3 whells.suggest this should be in the paddock club sector? I would also like to see a thread for powerboats which don't seem to be covered

#15 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,733 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 18:34

I am very lucky

I went to airshows when they were truly awesome.

SR71, Hercules display team, F14, Lightning, SU27. MIG29, Phantom scramble, saw the prototype Tornado interceptor and GR1, B52, B1, talking to pilots, A10, Galaxy, Black Arrows, Blue Angels.

Mildenhall was awesome back then, saw a B2 there for one of it sfirst visits, they could fly over the crowd line more, laying on top of a van watchign a Bucc takeoff and over mt head came the F111 that just finished his display and buzzed the crowd, I fell off the van!  Awesome stuff.

Modern airshows are still very good, a great thing, but too many damn photographers, they ruin the sight line for everyone and get there stupid early on their pathetic ladders, really a shame for the families and kids who just want to see stuff from the fence.

Air race is OK I suppose, but there is only one air race and that's Reno, old warbirds doing nearly 500mph in tuned planes, one my my bucketlist events.

Red Bull is good, but like a lot of their things, you do it once and never again.

Best airshows that I've been to in recent times are those held on the seafront. Plenty of room for everyone and the aircraft fly closer to the crowd line than when at an airfield.

There used to be an annual airshow at an airfield where I flew gliders from and we would put on a fairly tame display. We would put our winches and launch point caravan right on the display line limit. This gave the pilots an absolute perfect marker for their displays and us the perfect viewing spots. Everything would fly right by us, just over us and often when sat on top of the winch cage, below us. This rather spoilt me and couldn't be bothered being in the crowd after that.

#16 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 18:55

I did go up to Waddington a few years ago, my Mum lived in Lincoln and i walked about 4 miles up to the glide slope, the one that was on the news a few years back as the Typhoon grazed the fence, was awesome when i went, hardly anyone there.

Just me and this young lad who I didn't know who had stowed away from his parents house in the village to come up and watch, was telling him what everything was and to wave.

If it was now I would probably be up in front of the police for doing such an innocent thing!, but was great to just enjoy the moment and tell daft stories to some lad who like me was just a keen plane enthusiast!

I remember a B1 coming in and we were waving like hell, and was awesome when this thunderous thing travelling at about 400 knots with the wings swept back start rolling to wave too! 

#17 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,733 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 19:09

The Waddington glide slope and the Mach loop are 2 things on my list to do.

#18 Charles E Taylor

Charles E Taylor

• 213 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 21:02

I did post this in another thread.

Quite a day out for $12 !!!!

Charlie

#19 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 23:58

I love this stuff, it is like a condensed version of WRC with planes. 

These pilots have balls of steel.