Photo
- - - - -

Banker takes steering wheel from Mercedes-Benz world. Claims he was pranked. Gets off.

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,165 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 17:16

Banker takes steering wheel from Mercedes-Benz world. Claims he was pranked. Gets off.

That's one of the most ridiculous stories I've heared. Sure, it could be true...

http://www.getsurrey...rosberg-8660693

What's funny is also the police coming to his house and taking the wrong wheel. Effectively stealing one themselves... :p

Edited by SophieB, 19 February 2015 - 20:01.

Advertisement

#2 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 17:55

Not the kind of guy I want to be my banker. He did not even attempt to verify anything. I am surprised he didn't receive some form punishment. That story does NOT sound convincing but I guess legally the most important thing is he made efforts to ensure Mercedes got back their steering wheel.

#3 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 18:27

Having personally experienced how much of a hassle it can be to document, verify, transport, not to mention insure, objects from museums or archives, the description of this 'prank' was very convincing indeed. :rolleyes:

He added that Mr Butcher then opened his jacket, put it over the steering wheel and "yanked" it from the display at around 4.55pm, before walking out of the building with the steering wheel under his arm. (...)

"I have been approached by other people in the past. I wanted to help Mercedes-Benz World, it was a favour."

Good stuff! I wouldn't even be surprised if he actually believes his own version of events. :lol:

#4 ninetyzero

ninetyzero

• 706 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 18:47

In the UK bankers can do whatever they like with legal impunity. Didn't you know?

#5 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 21:35

Still one of the most moral bankers though :)

#6 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 21:46

He told Toto Wolff he needed to make a point.

#7 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,479 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 21:50

The Wolff of Brooklands 

#8 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 1,384 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 22:04

What does Mr. Poole have to say about this. They didn't try to contact him? Are we to believe he didn't tell Mercedes that a $20k wheel was going to be removed from the building? Lol how naive can you be? 

Edited by SophieB, 19 February 2015 - 18:33.

#9 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 22:09

If the universe has a sense of humour the next time someone robs or embezzles from that bank they will use the same story

#10 Elba

Elba

• 318 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 22:28

Funny and crazy story, thanks for that  :up:

Nobody or nothing was hurt so I can live with the outcome, no problem

#11 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,951 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 22:30

Bankers, eh?  You can't live with 'em, and you can't run through 'em with a chainsaw dipped in rabies.

#12 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:57

Did he use the old Bernie $100 million payment defence?

#13 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,453 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:35

I wonder what the Top Gear team will say about this..

#14 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,479 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:13

Why the hate against Bankers?

Not all of them are what the media portrays or even perceived. 

#15 ninetyzero

ninetyzero

• 706 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:47

Because they are greedy, amoral sociopaths who ruined the economy.

No, I'm sure they're much worse...

#16 Treads

Treads

• 2,806 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:27

The man was found innocent in a court of law, who are you lot to judge him guilty on the basis of one article?

I really hate this sarcastic crap that gets brought out in cases like this. If he had been a scumbag he probably would not have been caught.

#17 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:54

I wonder if he accidentally dropped all those Red Bull trophies in that lake a few months back? Cheeky scallywag  :p

#18 learningtobelost

learningtobelost

• 1,045 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:08

The man was found innocent in a court of law, who are you lot to judge him guilty on the basis of one article?

I really hate this sarcastic crap that gets brought out in cases like this. If he had been a scumbag he probably would not have been caught.

While I appreciate the fact that there is clearly something missing from the article, based on the evidence we have been presented, as the general public, it looks mighty suspicious. 

There are several unanswered questions:

1) If he had genuinely believed that he was being employed by Mercedes to repair the wheel why did he not think to inform someone that he was removing it?
2) Why did a respected professional agree to undertake work without any kind of paper trail.  There's no way I'd take possession of anyones goods without getting a receipt or other documentation.
3) Why did he slip it into his jacket?
4) Why would he not question why Mercedes would approach him at a racetrack, one hundred odd miles away to broker a deal. Why would he not follow it up.  Why wouuld he believe that Mercedes needed him to find someone to repair an item that they themselves had manufactured.

There are really only two options as I see it.  This guy was stupid enough to think he could wander out of Mercedes World with an F1 steering wheel. Or, this guy was stupid enough to think that Mercedes needed his help, but wouldn't bother to inform them that he was taking it.  The police and CPS clearly thought the former was the case.

#19 tmekt

tmekt

• 1,254 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:10

Maybe I'm naive but I believe his story.  :blush:

Advertisement

#20 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:17

Best thing for me is the Prosecutor's name, Shittu, you'd think that the paper would have worked that into the story somehow, but maybe they're too "respectable" in Surrey for anything like that. The guy might have more or less "got off", but his career prospects have taken a real hammering, with a criminal record, he's made himself unpromotable.

#21 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:23

The more I think about it, he's possibly just a massive Hamilton fan who's turned trolling up to 11.

It may have been his plan all along to hand the Rosberg wheel back publicly saying "I have a world champion theme to my collection, I have no use for this"

Edited by Brother Fox, 18 February 2015 - 12:24.

#22 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 13:05

All you had to say was "Banker ....... gets off" and leave us to fill in blanks .... and in those blanks it could have been just about anything.

#23 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,165 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 17:02

Because it makes the average Joe feel good about themselves - there are evil greedy men out there who prevent the average Joe from being wealthy. Its all their fault.

#24 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,615 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 18:17

Best thing for me is the Prosecutor's name, Shittu, you'd think that the paper would have worked that into the story somehow, but maybe they're too "respectable" in Surrey for anything like that. The guy might have more or less "got off", but his career prospects have taken a real hammering, with a criminal record, he's made himself unpromotable.

He would only end up with a record if convicted, no?

Re: my banker remark, I was only joking around. Pretty much any profession can be poked at. Cue the firefighter jokes....

Edited by AustinF1, 18 February 2015 - 18:18.

#25 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 18:39

He would only end up with a record if convicted, no?

Only up to a point, there's such a thing in the UK as "Advanced disclosure", an employer or prospective employer can request this from a Chief Constable, within whose discretion it lies. This would also reveal any arrests, charges dismissed, charges pending, and even charges of which the individual has been acquitted. I'm not a lawyer, so don't quote me on this, but I suspect that asking for this is common with any position involving child or healthcare, handling sizeable sums of money etc. In this particular case, I think the guy's employers would have to seriously call into question the man's intelligence, after what's been reported about the "joke" the sucker claims to have fallen for.

#26 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 19:08

What criminal record? 

#27 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 19:37

This is the best bit;

He said: "I believed I took the wheel in good faith. It would be utterly incongruous with my collection [to keep it]."

Mr Butcher added that the steering wheel in question was a replica of the one used by Nico Rosberg in 2012, when he came ninth in the F1 world championship, whereas his collection had a "world champion" theme.

:rotfl: 

#28 tmekt

tmekt

• 1,254 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 20:09

I have a bridge for sale. Interested?

**** I already spent my money yesterday to buy the exclusive rights to sell sand to Saudi Arabia :( that's another missed opportunity then  :|

Edited by tmekt, 18 February 2015 - 20:09.

#29 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 23:59

Bankers lie? 

#30 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,479 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:58

Because it makes the average Joe feel good about themselves - there are evil greedy men out there who prevent the average Joe from being wealthy. Its all their fault.

Agreed, +1. 

I'd like to add the ones who are wealthy aren't the average asshole, douchebag portrayed on movies or the media that follow proper methods and far from illegal or questionable tactics.

#31 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:31

Agreed, +1. 

I'd like to add the ones who are wealthy aren't the average asshole, douchebag portrayed on movies or the media that follow proper methods and far from illegal or questionable tactics.

quite right...more like the grinning, slick charm the socks off a Granny type...

PS you look quite fetching in those hot pants :blush:

#32 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:36

Probably because people are still pissed about bailing them out.

#33 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:18

and in Australia, for the obscene profits they make in a regime they seem to control...some courageous politician needs to bring them to heel :evil:

#34 baddog

baddog

• 29,739 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:29

Please be careful, saying he stole it when he has been cleared of stealing it is very risky legally.

#35 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,479 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:15

quite right...more like the grinning, slick charm the socks off a Granny type...

PS you look quite fetching in those hot pants :blush:

Haha, yeah you'd be surprised that some soft and gentle granny type people do exist. 

I can understand this natural resentment but the motor industry also received bailout money too, plus some banks didn't necessarily need bailout money. Not in the case of Morgan at least... But yes I can understand the hate but not every banker is a douchebag or thief robbing the masses whenever a banker is mentioned among discussions. 

and in Australia, for the obscene profits they make in a regime they seem to control...some courageous politician needs to bring them to heel :evil:

Fun fact Australian banks are among the most profitable. Although I always ask myself when another company, for example when Apple make insane profits the general perception for Apple at least is 'it's okay' as they are some sort of remarkable and amazing institution. On the other hand when a bank makes anything remotely high the usual lines of 'making too much, greed/manipulation' is associated with it. The fault within our capitalism​ perception. 

Edited by Brazzers, 19 February 2015 - 09:17.

#36 tmekt

tmekt

• 1,254 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:25

Do we know what sort of "banker" he is? Everybody is assuming he's some sort of evil mastermind big shot but for all we know he could just be an ordinary desk worker or something with no higher paycheck than you guys.

#37 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:43

Do we know what sort of "banker" he is? Everybody is assuming he's some sort of evil mastermind big shot but for all we know he could just be an ordinary desk worker or something with no higher paycheck than you guys.

No, I've made up my mind on this, please don't try to confuse me by offering alternative possibilities.

#38 Sigur

Sigur

• 43 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 15:36

This story is one of those stranger than fiction. Banker was too gullible. I bet Lloyds has been going through his portfolio with a fine-tooth comb.

#39 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,407 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 15:47

MD at Lloyds, Gas and Oils.

Advertisement

#40 tmekt

tmekt

• 1,254 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 17:31

MD at Lloyds, Gas and Oils.

Found an interview with him:

http://www.oilcounci...gas-lloyds-bank

What are the strategic priorities for your company in the next 12 months and beyond? 

(Re)build trust in the UK banking market [...].

Guess that would be more successful if you weren't running around taking steering wheels.

Edited by SophieB, 19 February 2015 - 18:31.

#41 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 17:38

I can understand this natural resentment but the motor industry also received bailout money too, plus some banks didn't necessarily need bailout money. Not in the case of Morgan at least... But yes I can understand the hate but not every banker is a douchebag or thief robbing the masses whenever a banker is mentioned among discussions. 

Privately owned banks are a cancer in our society, they are apart of the group who influence mostly everything behind the scenes just for their own interests. That is not some conspiracy theory either, it is becoming an undeniable fact. That is why people hate them and the reason why their has been a massive movement against them over the years. Obviously not all people who are employed by banks are bad, but the higher ups in key positions get called "Banksters" for a reason.

George has a good bit on it

Look whats happening in my country atm.

http://www.orilliapa...-serious-reform

"We are in a perpetual-debt crisis because we've allowed foreign private interests to control the creation of money and, by extension, federal economic and social policy for their private interests. Banks are guaranteed billions in profits every year as families slide deeper into debt. Forget income splitting; imagine the tax relief once we escape debt bondage and compound-interest payments."

Edited by MikeV1987, 19 February 2015 - 22:28.

#42 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 18:40

Please be careful, saying he stole it when he has been cleared of stealing it is very risky legally.

This is very true. The story is an extraordinary one but yes, you risk legal action for yourselves and potential damage to the board should you libel someone who has been cleared of the crime you might think of accusing them of. I've removed and edited a couple of posts for this reason.

The stuff that is just 'Hating Bankers: is it all right to?' is better suited to the Paddock Club too.

#43 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 19:45

Surely it's a matter of fact that he did steal it. He took a non found item without permission and against the wish of it's owners. I'm pretty sure that CCTV shows this and additionally he confessed it. 

What got him acquitted is that the judge believed him when he says he was coerced into stealing it by somebody claiming to represent the owner of the item.

#44 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 19:49

This is very true. The story is an extraordinary one but yes, you risk legal action for yourselves and potential damage to the board should you libel someone who has been cleared of the crime you might think of accusing them of. I've removed and edited a couple of posts for this reason.

The stuff that is just 'Hating Bankers: is it all right to?' is better suited to the Paddock Club too.

Am surprised the thread is still open .... accident waiting to happen IMO

#45 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 19:53

We need a definitive legal judgement, where's Ensign when we need him?

#46 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 19:59

Surely it's a matter of fact that he did steal it. He took a non found item without permission and against the wish of it's owners. I'm pretty sure that CCTV shows this and additionally he confessed it.
What got him acquitted is that the judge believed him when he says he was coerced into stealing it by somebody claiming to represent the owner of the item.

No. It's not a matter of dispute that he TOOK the wheel. Stealing implies intent to deprive by unlawful means, which he was cleared of. The difference is very important.

Last chance, guys. If you want to libel people, take your chances on your own blog.

#47 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:30

I'll just say a bloke I met at the track said it was ok to libel him