- - - - -

GT3 Racing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,704 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 23:08

I stopped paying close attention to GT racing after the demise of the old GT1 class in 2007-8. I didn't pay much attention to the "new" GT1 cars in '09-'10, or the GT3 class that succeeded it.

In the last few weeks since it's been too cold to do much outside, I've been watching a lot of races on youtube, and I'm really starting to love the current crop of GT3 racing because of the variety, excellent competition, and wide range of series (it helps that almost all of the races are available for free in full on youtube).

What do you guys think of this class? I've been actively following most forms of racing since the BPR days, and IMO this class is the best I've seen in terms of balanced performance and manufacturer interest.

What are some of the best races to watch since the introduction of these cars? I need to add some more races to my list.

If you need any inspiration, watch this-

IMO this Z4 is the best sounding racecar just about anywhere in the world these days.

Advertisement

#2 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 00:40

Stephane Ratel has had his fair share of duds over the year, but you have to commend him for coming up with the GT3 category, and making it what it is today.

It's probably the biggest success in terms of regulations in many years when you consider how many different championships now run GT3 cars. In some ways, I guess you can say GT3 has done for GT racing what the Super Touring regs did for touring cars in the 90s.

And yes, the cars are brilliant. There's so many GT3 cars these days it is a struggle to remember them all, and there is always fantastic variety on grids. They're definitely getting close to the old GT1 cars in terms of spectacle.

#3 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:29

I've been watching a lot of races on youtube, and I'm really starting to love the current crop of GT3 racing because of the variety, excellent competition, and wide range of series (it helps that almost all of the races are available for free in full on youtube).

What do you guys think of this class? I've been actively following most forms of racing since the BPR days, and IMO this class is the best I've seen in terms of balanced performance and manufacturer interest.

It's good fun

BUT

It is an entirely a play toy for wealthy gentleman drivers and wealthy team owners.  Given it is 100% balance of performance category, it is NOT a genuine manufacturer competition.

Nissan wins!

SVG shennanigans! 

#4 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:40

IMO this Z4 is the best sounding racecar just about anywhere in the world these days.

Meh, it's OK.  Sounds like a lumpy American V8.

I prefer the V10 howl myself. :)

#5 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 14:49

Yeah the BOP centric rules make it hard for me to get into. That said, GT racing will always be a compromise of sorts, with no BOP then a certain production car with an inherent advantage will result in reduced variety. A silhouette style series with large commonality under the skin would not be GT racing. Even Le Mans GTE cars have some element of balancing done.

GT3 have chosen their direction clearly and ran with it, which I find admirable when for instance F1 goes through a monthly identity crisis. Wont ever be my cup of tea but good luck to them.

#6 pliskinrob

pliskinrob

• 95 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 14:53

When GT3 is permitted in the TUSCC in 2016 I expect there to be a surge in popularity. 

#7 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,704 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 15:03

Yeah the BOP centric rules make it hard for me to get into. That said, GT racing will always be a compromise of sorts, with no BOP then a certain production car with an inherent advantage will result in reduced variety. A silhouette style series with large commonality under the skin would not be GT racing. Even Le Mans GTE cars have some element of balancing done.

GT3 have chosen their direction clearly and ran with it, which I find admirable when for instance F1 goes through a monthly identity crisis. Wont ever be my cup of tea but good luck to them.

The BOP was my initial turn-off. I used to love the early days of the FIA GT series in '96-'97, but when Mercedes ran amok with their CLK-GTR and CLK-LM, the series went from huge grids of GT1 cars to 6 or 7 machines in the top class, only 2 of which could actually win, and then the class was killed off entirely. I'll take restricted cars and a number of amateurs (go look up Enzo Ide if you need an example of how far some of these guys are from a pro like Ortelli or Vilander) over a dead class any day. On some level you have to suspend your disbelief that a Z4 can keep up with a Mclaren MP4-12C, but it's worth it because of the racing. Time to watch the Slovakia race from last year while I ride my stationary bike. Good way to kill an hour.

#8 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 15:50

(go look up Enzo Ide if you need an example of how far some of these guys are from a pro like Ortelli or Vilander)

Are you implying Ide won't be replacing Kimi Raikkonen any time soon?  Surely not.  By goodness, Dan, that's madness.  Enzo for WDC  :up:

8_enzo2012Spa24u21.jpg

Such a handsome chap, unlike those lettuce-eating F1 punks    :D

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 22 February 2015 - 15:50.

#9 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,704 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 17:15

He seems semi-decent on pace when in the car, which is somewhat surprising given his general appearance and background, but he's pretty far from my mental image of a race driver named Enzo :stoned:

#10 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,475 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 17:41

It is an entirely a play toy for wealthy gentleman drivers and wealthy team owners.  Given it is 100% balance of performance category, it is NOT a genuine manufacturer competition.

+1

It's a meaningless formula technically if a Camaro, Mustang, Bentley, or Z4 can compete realistically for proper results against far more suitable racing machinery like a 458 or Mp4/12. GTE may have it's own problems with BOP but it's not as wacky as GT3. GT3 is more like NASCAR than the GT racing I grew up with.

The reason GT3 is so popular with manufacturers is because it's easy to enter any model, no matter how unsuitable for racing and be assured the playing field will be titled to make their machinery have a chance.

Not for me at all.

#11 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 1,089 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 20:01

Are you familiar with the GT World- Youtube channel? It's got tons of old broadcasts since 2011-2012. Though IMO the commentary in the newer ones ('13 onwards) is much better thanks to Watson in the booth as well. Addison is a great commentator, but things are just better when they are both there. That is, if you can appreciate JW's pointy humor towards the GT Academy graduates.   ;)

If you're got a few hours to spare, why not catch up with the latest first: https://www.youtube....h?v=wjkctEZe_hs

#12 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,704 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 20:55

Are you familiar with the GT World- Youtube channel? It's got tons of old broadcasts since 2011-2012. Though IMO the commentary in the newer ones ('13 onwards) is much better thanks to Watson in the booth as well. Addison is a great commentator, but things are just better when they are both there. That is, if you can appreciate JW's pointy humor towards the GT Academy graduates.  ;)

If you're got a few hours to spare, why not catch up with the latest first: https://www.youtube....h?v=wjkctEZe_hs

I've been using that channel extensively in the last few days, great resource! Any suggestions for the best sprint races of the last few years?

#13 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,788 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 21:16

Not totally strictly GT3, but PWC at Barber last year was a good one.

#14 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:20

The reason GT3 is so popular with manufacturers is because it's easy to enter any model, no matter how unsuitable for racing and be assured the playing field will be titled to make their machinery have a chance.

Not for me at all.

OK, fair enough.

That the reason you end up with "Formula Sierra" or "Formula M3" anywhere else.  Everyone wants a chance to win.

#15 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 1,089 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 20:18

I've been using that channel extensively in the last few days, great resource! Any suggestions for the best sprint races of the last few years?

Haven't really got any sprint series suggestions, I usually tend to focus on the longer races.