Photo

What's happening at Haymarket?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 kwikmike

kwikmike

• 51 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 15:43

Maybe not the best site to ask this question, but after the departure of Charles Bradley and Adam Cooper, now also Jonathan Noble, Pablo Elizalde and Katie Jayne Gamble joins Motorsport.com! Does someone know what is going on? Seems more to me than just a salary rise.. 

Maybe it is time to reconsider my digital membership..? Hope not!

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,330 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 18:18

Commercial competition. Who else would an essentially new publication headhunt journalists from?

#3 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 00:01

I have cancelled my yearly subscription to this website. 

Not sure what I was paying for. Autosport is always last to report a story, by a handful of hours sometimes. I check motorsport.com every time news breaks and they've got it (along with most other free sites)... while Autosport remains quiet.

Plus this site looks like it was designed in 1999, apart from the red colour scheme it's pretty much AtlasF1 still.

#4 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,072 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 00:44

apart from the red colour scheme it's pretty much AtlasF1 still.

Quoth the Fogey, "What's wrong with that?" :cool:

From what I hear, that's much better than ESPN circa 2015 :smoking:

#5 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 17:01

Quoth the Fogey, "What's wrong with that?" :cool:

From what I hear, that's much better than ESPN circa 2015 :smoking:

AtlasF1 was epic, my point which I didn't explain very well was nothing seems to be being developed or improved. Not the news not the site, so what's the subscription money going to, why not stick with a subscription free website that's current, loads quickly and has great functionality on mobiles for example.

#6 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 947 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:16

Two more gone to Motorsport.com - Andrew van Leeuwen and @JarvoB (not sure of full name).

Must be a lonely place in the Autosport department of Haymarket, they've been decimated.

#7 kwikmike

kwikmike

• 51 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:48

And Jamie Klein joins as well. Looks like they have big plans if all these people are full-time employees now at Motorsport.com.. Really curious now!

#8 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:16

... it's pretty much AtlasF1 still.

Which is not bad thing at all :) But I agree they downgraded news service heavily some years ago. No, it seems, they lost also little bit of edge. Like running out of steam, it seems to me. True is, Motorsport.com is recruiting heavily. I don't like their modern style of having "least amount of information within largest space possible". Some craziness like at F1.com and newly FIA.com. So it remains to be seen, how Motorsport.com business case will develop.

#9 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,227 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 13:20

Maybe not the best site to ask this question, but after the departure of Charles Bradley and Adam Cooper, now also Jonathan Noble, Pablo Elizalde and Katie Jayne Gamble joins Motorsport.com! Does someone know what is going on? Seems more to me than just a salary rise.. 

Maybe it is time to reconsider my digital membership..? Hope not!

Noble is still at Autosport and Cooper has long been freelance

#10 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 13:40

http://www.motorspor...motorsport-com/

and http://www.autosport...t.php/id/118530 written yesterday by none other than Jon

edit:  Ah effective May 14

#11 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,227 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 13:46

Ah

#12 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:18

Yes, just wanted to add my disappointment at the loss of pretty much all of the talent that made Autosport worth subscribing to. For me the loss of Mark Hughes was big, but Noble as well may be the last straw. Seems like all the experienced heads are gone and they are left with youngsters who may not have the requisite paddock contacts based on the lack of insight we are seeing from this site lately. 

All we seem to get are rehashed quotes that the GMM sites ran weeks ago. A classic example is today's story on Red Bull that at first glance I assumed was a proper story about the much discussed RB11 B spec that is apparently being brought to Barcelona but it's actually just the same old post-Bahrain quotes from Horner that all the other sites ran over a week ago. This is a constant pattern lately, the free sites are doing it better guys. 

Their only expert commentary is now coming from the incredibly biased Gary Anderson, another disappointment.

I now rely on AMuS for real breaking news and insight. The forums are still great though.

#13 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:49

This is worrying.

almost 15 minutes since Jon Noble had the story on motorsport.com about the new rules and still nothing on Autosport?

last story update was at12:38, it's now 14:47

Site broken or big blow losing Noble and co?

#14 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 13:21

13:10 we see the story, I see it's GMT times that the story is published, not my time. still, 30 minutes late for this story!!!

#15 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,330 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 15:22

On the positive side, I've enjoyed Lawrence Barretto's reporting so far.

#16 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,227 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 16:28

Ian Parkes is a good addition. Strong track record at PA

#17 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,330 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 16:37

Knew I'd heard the name somewhere before.

#18 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 17:18

I don't mind Autosport not being quite first with the news as long as the extra time means it's because the pieces are carefully considered and accurate. Because of that, I was a bit uneasy about a few aspects of this story: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/118950

I felt it had a couple of unnecessary distortions to make the story even more dramatic than it was.

In a bold statement, though, Arai has not only predicted a podium finish will come before the British Grand Prix in early July, but the likelihood McLaren-Honda will be firmly challenging Mercedes by the end of the year, then dominating in the near future.

Arai's words are likely to raise eyebrows...

the story raised my eyebrows too when I read on to see he didn't quite say that:

"There has been quite an improvement from Jerez in pre-season to Barcelona [Spanish GP], a big change," he added.
"There has been a huge effort. Power-wise, and also the characteristics [of the power unit] have changed. It is almost a new power unit.
"I have already prepared a plan to apply many parts race-by-race, changing, improvements, more sophisticated data application.
"This kind of plan is to achieve our target by the middle of the season.

"Unfortunately the Spanish Grand Prix was an unexpected situation. We believed we could get points, but unfortunately we had trouble on Fernando's car [with the brakes], so it was a very pessimistic result.

"But maybe in Monaco or Canada we will have a much better chance of getting points, and then to achieve a podium in the middle of the season - we hope.

"It is a very important home race at Silverstone - high-speed corners, average speed is so high - so we want to achieve that target by the middle of the European season."

Asked of Arai whether he felt Ferrari and Williams could be caught in 2015, he replied: "Yeah, sure."

'Plan', 'can', 'want to' 'hope', 'expect', 'chance' - his words are stuffed with enough qualifiers to make it quite clear this is a target they are hoping to achieve, which is not the same thing as a 'bold' prediction of success.

I really hope this sort of bait-and-switch doesn't represent a change of approach in which everything eventually gets tabloided up in an effort to grab attention. It only erodes trust and respect for both the subject at hand and the readers when that happens. I want to read the beginning of a story and trust what it says, not wait until I've read the small print to find out, well, he more or less said that. Sort of. If you squint a bit.

On a more positive note, great work in the magazine in getting the team payments out in the open. Amusing seeing papers like The Times quoting Dieter Rencken's work as a primary source and writing their own stories based on it. Great example of Autosport revealing/challenging difficult aspects of the sport!

#19 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,330 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 17:43

I guess most of us say it but Dieter Rencken's column is pretty much worth the price of the subscription by itself. :up:

Advertisement

#20 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,983 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:07

I guess most of us say it but Dieter Rencken's column is pretty much worth the price of the subscription by itself. :up:

Agree 100%

I also think he is a free agent / contributor / whatever one is called when writing a lot for a magazine without actually working for them.

:cool:

#21 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:36

I'm sick of Rencken.

I've never read any SPORTS journalism from him, IS he a sports journalist? I honestly don't know.

I'll buy the Financial Times if I want to read about finances.

#22 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,983 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 21:03

I'm sick of Rencken.

I've never read any SPORTS journalism from him, IS he a sports journalist? I honestly don't know.

I am not sure you fully understand what investigative journalism entails, as I see it Renckenexpose the underbelly of the beast which is F1, he is critical and against rather than cow-tailing with a herd.

:cool:

#23 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,330 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 21:23

I'm sick of Rencken.

Rencken is short on romance but long in foresight.