- - - - -

Your F1 teary and goosebump moments

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 1,183 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:28

Okaaaaay...after my previous attempt at a thread flopped, I'm back for more punishment  :wave:

I actually saw this on another forum and thought it would be awesome to hear some of your moments in F1. What brought tears to your eyes and what affected you so much you got goosebumps just watching it? To give you an example, man, I still get affected by that Lion King stampede scene (you know what I'm talking about or else you're just too young  :lol: ). When Mufasa saved Simba my heart was in my mouth, when he leapt out of the stampede and started climbing my whole body was covered in goosebumps and I cried like a baby when Scar killed him and Simba discovered the body.

Anyway, I digress (Motorsport forum, Ncedi, Motorsport!!), here are a few of mine:

• Fernando Alonso's win in Valenica 2012 gave me goosebumps, the crowd reaction was immense.
  • Same day, Schumi's podium was incredible, I really softened to him after he came back so with Fernando's reaction and Schumi there I really got teary eyed.
  • Kimi Suzuka 2005 around the outside of Fisi to win, goosebumps galore!
  • Felipe Massa after losing the championship in Brazil 2008 left me in tears, he took it on the chin like a man. I gained a lot of respect for him that day!
  • Schumi v Fernando Imola 2005, those last 13 laps had me on the edge of my seat. I was so unsure as to whether Fernando cound withstand that kind of pressure so long. 
  • Jules Bianchi, that accident still affects me. Just when he seemed ready to make a move forward and shine it happened. I wish him well and we'll miss him this year #ForzaJules 
  • Rubens winning in Valencia 2009, everybody seemed to appreciate what a great drive that was, I got goosebumps seeing them clap in my favourite driver to his winners spot
  • Webber winning his first race, what a drive that was after the penalty, but nothing but pure emotion when he won. I still listen to the radio after he crossed the line now and again.

Over to you, let's hear your moments!

Advertisement

#2 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:45

Suzuka 2000 (Michael finally winning the WDC with Ferrari)

Formula-1-2000.jpg

Monza 2006 (Michael announcing his retirement after winning the Italian Grand Prix)

hqdefault.jpg

Suzuka 2006 (with that Ferrari-enigne, all hopes of another WDC went up into the air)

2006F1-Japan.jpg

Silverstone 2008 (that picture with Lewis crossing the s/f-line and his hands in the air, I'll always have that image in my head as soon as anyone mentions his name)

_45929626_britain2008shorthighlights5.jp

Hungaroring 2013 (first win for Mercedes, proof that he made the right choice and silenced all his critics. Also, how symbolic to have Lewis winning this race with a McLaren being one lap down and behind him on this picture)

123.jpg?fit=1024%2C1024

And last but not least, Abu Dhabi 2014 (Yes, I've cried that day and it were huge, manly tears which I'm not ashamed of. Ok, maybe I was crying like a little girl too. So what?)

Lewis%20Hamilton%20champion.jpg

Edited by GoldenColt, 25 February 2015 - 08:47.

#3 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:46

Monaco 2014 - bianchi and Marussia first points
Brazil 2008 - last gasp from Lewis and the famous Brundle words "Is that Glock..Is that Glock" ?
Brazil 2008 -Felipe Massa takes it on the chin
Canada 2011 -last 6 laps and Jenson catches vettel on the last lap
Hungary 2013 - Lewis proves the doubters wrong about merc move
Bahrain 2014 (last 10 laps) need I say more - Always remember this quote from a fellow poster "Thou shall not Pass"

Edited by Newbrray, 25 February 2015 - 19:53.

#4 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,726 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:26

Hill Suzuka 96
Vettel winning in the Toro Rosso
Hamiltons first WDC

#5 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:42

564901-1935fb22-2be6-11e4-a978-2255e0b77

This was a very special moment. His first two wins being written off due to Vettel's 'misfortune' Ricciardo goes like a bull out of the gates and steals yet another win from Rosberg, only this time he does it with a margin of close to a minute over his 4x WDC team mate.

#6 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,497 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:44

• Monza 1998. Schumacher from 3 to 1 in a few corners when Mika is distracted after Coutlhard's engine goes up in smoke. I have a clip with Italian commentary and they really go ballistic over it. The crowd goes wild when they exit the Parabolica again. It was the race after Spa 1998 when he lost a sure victory.
  • Hungary 1998. qualy laps in race trim, you can just see him giving it all. Really nice to see it once more.
  • Any Ferrari V12 race footage.
  • Season 2000 was edge of your seat work. I also loved 1998.

I've got a soft spot for Schumacher races.  ;) Current F1 doesn't really strike that chord anymore. :(

Edited by SenorSjon, 25 February 2015 - 09:45.

#7 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:50

Hamilton's first title win: simply mind blowing. I felt so sorry for Massa but he drove his heart out and I really respected him after seeing the way he took that loss.

Vettel's first title win: he was the underdog there, he did not lead the title race at any point during the season except when it really mattered. Monza 08' was also very awesome.

Kubica's first win: Very special win regardless of errors from the other drivers, especially after what happened the year before at the same track. He was one of my favorite drivers too so I might be biased a bit  :p

Alonso Valencia 12: Not a fan but I was very happy for him, that was an amazing drive. Same with Monza 2010, that must have been a dream come true as well.

Edited by MikeV1987, 25 February 2015 - 10:20.

#8 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,164 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:59

- Häkkinen's crash at Monza 1999

- Spa 2000 and what is called the Zonta overtake

- Montoya/Verstappen crash in Brazil 2001

- Räikkönen's qualifying lap in Monza 2005

- Suzuka 2005

- Brazil 2007

- Turkey 2010 (Vettel/Webber incident and Button/Hamilton battle)

- Vettel's qualifying lap in Korea 2011

- Monaco 2012 pole for MS

- Valencia 2012

- Alonso's start at Barcelona 2013

- Vettel's title celebration in India 2013, donuts on the finish line and worshipping his car

- Hamilton/Rosberg battle in Bahrain 2014

- Alonso/Vettel battle in Silverstone 2014

#9 Giz

Giz

• 734 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:03

Hill 96 champion
Hill in arrows 97
Button Hungary 06
Button champion 09
Button Canada 11

I'm sure there was many more but they are the ones that stick out

#10 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:14

The way the 1999 European Grand Prix unfolded always remains special in my heart. I have re-watched this race multiple times after it had taken place, and it is always special to watch. 

Edited by sopa, 25 February 2015 - 10:16.

#11 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,449 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:16

Webbers celebration after his first win gets me every time.  :cat:

#12 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:21

#13 Elba

Elba

• 318 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:38

- 1976 Lauda withdrawing from Fuji race and Hunt winning the title, both goosebumps and felt for Lauda. Probably my first F1 memory.

- 1986 Adelaide Mansell's tire blow out, mostly goosebumps because I was a Mansell disliker  :blush: and for Prost becoming champion

- 1992 Monaco Senna against a much faster Mansell goosebumps

- 1994 Schumacher winning the championship despite everything FIA threw at him that emotional year

- 1996 first Schumacher win for Ferrari

- 2000 Hakkinen move on Schumacher one of the ballsiest moves ever, Zonta iirc probably needed clean underwear after the race  ;)

- 2000 first Ferrari title that Michael won

- 2002 No fan of Montoya but his poles that year were something special

- 2007 Raikkonen WDC sweet justice after Spygate

- 2008 Vettel win in the Toro Rosso

- 2008 Raikkonen hits Sutil in Monaco , felt so bad for Sutil and Force India 

- 2010 Vettel clinching the title in the last race

Also stand out Alesi's first and only win in Canada, Berger's last win in Hockenheim, Ferrari 1-2 in Italy just after Enzo died.

So many dramatic memories, that's why I still love F1

#14 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:58

Taki Inoue being run over by the safety car.

#15 K20a

K20a

• 353 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:02

picf7_1.jpg

Every. Single. Time.

#16 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:08

Actually for the Senna crash I find the on-board footage of his last couple of laps really eery, just engine noise with nobody ahead. Very moving. I also once saw one of his amazing Suzuka qualifying laps projected very big on a wall in a museum, that genuinely made the hairs stand up!

#17 K20a

K20a

• 353 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:11

Actually for the Senna crash I find the on-board footage of his last couple of laps really eery, just engine noise with nobody ahead. Very moving. I also once saw one of his amazing Suzuka qualifying laps projected very big on a wall in a museum, that genuinely made the hairs stand up!

Literally racing to his death, as fast as he could go...

Makes me tear up every single time. Very eerie.

#18 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:36

My first attended GP Silverstone 1993 was my first goosebump moment because I was 11 years old and couldn't believe I was as close to the action as I was. I managed to get some good and some blurred photo's on my point and shoot Pentax lol. 

Others:

- Damon Hill winning in 1996 - Justice in a way for the events in '94.

- Unlucky Alesi winning the Canadian GP '95

- Villeneuve coming into F1 and surprising everybody with his pace and winning in his second year!

- Hakkinen's 2 championships and the crying in the woods was iconic.

- Being at SIlverstone in '99 when Schuey went off, not a nice feeling. The crowd cheered at first but very quickly became concerned when it was apparent he wasn't ok.

- Alonso beating Schuey in 2006 in a more fair year than the previous.

- Hamilton bursting on the scene in 2007 and having an amazing year shocked many who hadn't followed him previously.

- 2008 championship being decided by a single point for the second year running.

There are undoubtedly many more :)

#19 danmills

danmills

• 3,147 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:41

Mansellmania Silverstone 1992. Pretty cool, I was actually there for that.
Montreal 1995. Alesi first win.

Silverstone 1995. Herbert first win.

Imola 94.

Ralf crashing at Indy.

Hungary 1997 last few laps.

Murray Walker / Hill last laps at Suzuka 96.

Bianchi crash.

Edited by danmills, 25 February 2015 - 11:42.

Advertisement

#20 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,479 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:43

Spent 1:09 watching Kimi tap Rubens makes me teary for sure. 

#21 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,449 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:45

Mansellmania Silverstone 1992. Pretty cool, I was actually there for that.
Montreal 1995. Alesi first win.

Silverstone 1995. Herbert first win.

Imola 94.

Ralf crashing at Indy.

Hungary 1997 last few laps.

Murray Walker / Hill last laps at Suzuka 96.

Bianchi crash.

+1 For the Walker commentary, that was something really special.

#22 michaelmyers

michaelmyers

• 65 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:05

This. That last sector is just unbelievable. Just listen to the roar of the engine in the last corner. Still gives me goosebumps.

#23 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:11

To name but a few highlights:

Monaco 1984
Mansell Adelaide 1986
Monaco 1992
Mansell's 1992 championship
Donington 1993
Imola 1994
Australia 1994
Herbert's first win in 1995
Hill's 1996 championship
Hakkinen's 1998 championship

Not a lot since, to be honest ...

#24 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:19

"He took the lead, he stayed there, and Damon Hill exits the chicane and WINS the Japanese Grand Prix, and I have got to stop because I have got a lump in my throat."

Best. Commentary. Ever.

#25 JuanPablo

JuanPablo

• 237 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:25

Aw, Senna, every time I see that overhead shot of the car and his head moves slightly, I cry. My Fiancée, who is not into motor sport at all, watched the movie with me and she was reduced to tears when she saw it. I was 12 when he was killed and it still gets me. Even now, the thought of it has me upset. That's the teary moment.

The Goosebumps: On a happier note, being Irish, I was a huge Jordan fan. That first win at Spa in 1998. It was a win that my brother and I had doubted would ever happen at times, especially after Hockenheim 1997 where Fisi had been in contention until the puncture. The season had started so badly in 98, that  even points were appreciated when they finally arrived. The moment Schumacher ran into Coulthard is the Goosebumps moment for me because I realised what it meant. Hill had been fantastic in second place, but the slice of luck of Schumacher's accident redefined Jordan's season. Ralf coming home in second was the cherry on top. The 20 or so laps with Hill in the lead were both magnificent and torturous as it was a new experience for me as a Jordan fan to be expecting the win after Schumacher's retirement.

#26 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,442 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:57

For me it was sitting in, and rocking a Honda F1 car a few inches back and forth along the floor in one of the rooms at the Suzuka circuit.

Formula 1 for me has always been about the cars, and this was the closest I've ever been or likely to get to one.

For such an unsuccessful entry, it still seemed so well made and packaged.

#27 Scuderia312

Scuderia312

• 135 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 13:12

Number 1 for me is definately Interlagos 2008, 200 bpm in the closing laps :)

Other highlights:

* Japan 2006 - heartbreaking retirement

* Brazil 2006 - For everything Schumacher done in that race

* Brazil 2007 - Ferrari winning the WDC

* Kubica's win in Montreal

* Hungaro and Singapore 2008 were so heartbreaking
* Massa's accident at Hungaro and inability to fall asleep for more than 2 hours that night

* Valencia 2010 and Webber's crash - I had a heart in my mouth in that moment (the most scary thing I saw in F1)

* I had goosebumps when seeing the start/finish straight at Monza 2010 full of people during the Italian anthem

* Canada 2011 for everything, starting from waiting for the race to (almost) sleeping during the classes next day (I live in Poland, the race finished at 11pm, Button kept his win after 1am)

* Sepang 2012 and Alonso winning, close to tears

* Valencia 2012 like above

* USA 2012 - from wanting to cancel the race in the morning to meeting my girlfriend and seeing Alonso lose only 3 points to Vettel

* Brazil 2012 - I was never screaming as much as that evening :)

By the way, were you ever crying during/after the race?

Edited by Scuderia312, 25 February 2015 - 13:15.

#28 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 13:13

Well, I was born in 1993 so rather naturally, I was a Schumacher fan. The best edge-of-seat memories I have are when he was on one of his barnstorming performances. So here are a few where I struggled to sit down:

• Suzuka 1998, where he drove from last to third before a tyre blew. This is one of my first individual F1 memories.
  • Monza 2004; from last on the first lap to second behind Barrichello. The moment Schumacher overtook Button on the pit straight as Barrichello exited the pits in front was awesome, but slightly bittersweet - MSC's pace was so good it would have been fabulous to see him win it.
  • Imola 2005; again, unbelievable pace but a very calm drive from Alonso meant he held on to the win. 
  • Shanghai 2006. I overslept for this one, staggered downstairs halfway through and was astonished to find the two Renaults circulating with Schumacher just behind. I had no idea how that had come to be, but suffice to say it was a thrilling race from then on!
  • Interlagos 2006; a disappointing race, but that overtake on Raikkonen with a couple of laps to go made my hair stand on end. Fantastic.
  • Montreal 2011; an amazing race in general, but the glimmer of the Schumacher of old is what thrilled me most.

More recent races where I just couldn't sit down include Abu Dhabi, Brazil and Valencia 2012. The amazing moment when Vettel dropped out and suddenly Alonso led the race in Valencia was incredible, offset by two fantastic recovery drives from Vettel in Abu Dhabi and Brazil, the latter being probably the most extraordinary race I've ever seen. 2012 was a great season contested between two great champions.

The worst moments, inevitably, are the moments where you fear for a driver's safety. The tragic accidents of Schumacher and Bianchi have to go down as the most miserable moments of my time watching F1. Just behind this, because he at least has fundamentally sound health, is Robert Kubica's rally accident in which he nearly lost an arm. His accident at Montreal scared the absolute hell out of me as well, but thankfully no lasting damage from that one. I honestly thought he was dead. Also, of course, there was Massa's crash in Budapest. I don't think he's ever been the same driver since but he is, at least, healthy, happy, and able to perform to a competitive standard.

From a racing perspective, the saddest moment was probably Brazil 2008. No disrespect to Hamilton, but I was really pulling for Massa and to see him lose it on the last corner was really the heartwrenching. But that, as Felipe himself intimated, is F1. If it wasn't so tough to see your guy lose it wouldn't be so thrilling to see him win!

Edited by Spillage, 25 February 2015 - 13:18.

#29 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,610 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 13:28

My first would be Mario Andretti winning the WDC.  I wasn't a big F1 fan at the time as F1 barely existed in America, but I was aware of the scope of F1 and ABC followed along.  I remmeber seeing him clinch the championship and running out to my dad to tell him an American had won the World Drivers Championship.

1989 - Nigel Mansell winning for Ferrari in Brazil, the hope of something special that year.

2000 - Ferrari winning the WDC after 21 years.  (Well other then Prost's WDC in 1989).

2002 - My first Live Grand Prix, sitting in the Bronze stands at turn 8 at Circuit Ile Notre Dame/Gille Villeneuve and seeing a Formula One car live for the very time, a pair of Minardis driven by Mark Weber and Alex Yoong.  I remember later as Reubans and Michael coma storming by, I turned to my daughter and said "Well, we can go home now, I'm a happy man".

#30 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 3,628 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 14:04

This. That last sector is just unbelievable. Just listen to the roar of the engine in the last corner. Still gives me goosebumps.

Love that footage. The engine sounds take me back to my childhood (surprisingly, no I'm not a hater of the new V6s as it happens) and watching the back end of Mika's McLaren squirming all over the place coming out of the final corner to take pole is just brilliant. Commentators really make me tingle as he crosses the finish line.

#31 Scuderia312

Scuderia312

• 135 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 14:15

Is it just me that I love the feeling of waking up on Sunday morning for a morning F1 race when a sun's shining?

#32 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 14:21

Some have admittedly been mentioned by others, but:

1992 Monaco GP - I was only 9 years old for this one, but remember watching the race on the portable TV outside and being inconsolable when Mansell got a puncture, even though he was already pissing the championship by this point, I was almost in tears, put that one down to (lack of) age I think :)

1992 Hungarian GP - Mansell winning the championship

1993 Hungarian GP - Hill's first win - after the previous two races I was on edge the whole race hoping he wouldn't break down even as he led by a whole minute.

1994 San Marino GP - Bit of a weird one, Senna's crash didn't look that bad from the outside but I was immediately very concerned and stunned. Probably more well-founded pessimism (given what had already happened that weekend) than any sort of supernatural foresight on my part though.

1994 Japanese GP - Say what you want about how aggregate timed races were confusing, but that's the only grand prix finish I've been literally on my feet waiting to see who won.

1996 Japanese GP - The lump in Murray's throat.

1997 Hungarian GP - That sinking feeling when they went to the pit reporter "It's not looking good [for Damon Hill] I'm afraid..."

2003 Brazilian GP - Fisichella passing Raikkonen for the lead.

2008 Brazilian GP - The crowd roaring when Massa took the flag and he did the finger salute thing, for some reason made the hairs on the back of my head stand up, then of course a few seconds later with the "Is that Glock?" moment...

2014 Monaco GP - John Booth's congratulatory message over the radio to Bianchi gets me every time, admittedly influenced by what happened later in the season, but even at the time. Bianchi's actual crash didn't get me at that moment however, as watching it live we didn't actually know it had happened till like, 5 or 10 minutes later, with info slowly filtering through after that, there was no sudden jolt.

And going outside of F1, but Greg Moore's Fontana crash - that's the only accident I've ever witnessed where I just knew (not feared as with Senna, knew) that it was over almost before the car hit the wall. Still remember the stunned feeling as it happened. Even with Wheldon's accident there was so much going on that was more of a "hope everyone's okay" rather than the sharp focus on one clearly unsurvivable crash.

#33 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 14:32

Only one for me

THe press conference when Mika became perhaps the most human man in F1 for a while when he tells the press to leave it alone when Schuey equals Senna's record.

On that day he became less of a one word answer type guy and a real man in my eyes.

#34 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 14:46

Brazilian GP in 2007, '08, '12.

Also any driver's first win.

Bianchi's accident hit me hard at the time because I'd just driven through a storm myself and missed most of the race. In fact I came in right as we were learning how serious it was.

#35 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 14:59

Teary moment... Interlagos  2006... When Schumi raced for the last time for Ferrari.  :cry:

Goosebump moment... Montmeló 1996... Schumi winning his first race for Ferrari. I was at the racetrack and it's one of my best F1 memories. The weather was horrible, it was pouring down but who cared? I didn't  :p

#36 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 15:05

Teary...... MS winning championship in 2000.

Gooooooose Bumps....... close qualifying sessions with possibility of win on Sunday. 

#37 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 15:12

Interlagos 91 and 93 with Galvão Bueno calling Senna and then the 'tema da vitória playing'.

The 2008 FIA Gala video with the Senna's voice. At the end when Hamilton's crying, you suddenly realize he's a kid (like I once was) that suddenly saw his lifelong dream come true.

Edited by Atreiu, 25 February 2015 - 15:17.

#38 alphanumeric

alphanumeric

• 179 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 15:28

Jim Clark's accident and death. The newspapers had very graphic pictures of the crash scene, horrible.

Childhood hero Jochen Rindt died, same for Ronnie Peterson, wept like a baby.

Paul Hawkins died crashing into a tree at Oulton Park - I was working there that day (apprentice mechanic), the smoke rising in the distance and the paddock going silent, peolple holding each other in comfort, very, very sad time.

Senna's accident - was on hols in the Canary Islands in a bar watching the race with the locals. Every single person was in tears and in disbelief.

Woohoo moments/goosebumps - too many to mention, but:

Damon Hil, WDC

Most of Hakinen's races - and duels with Schumi!

Watching Button through his karting years to first win in Hungary, then his WDC (which the missus insist we bet on.... won enough for a new kitchen :-))

Watching almost any in-car F1 footage before sequential gearshifts came in :p

#39 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 15:31

Lets see.

In general, I am a complete crybaby. I probably cried several times when Damon Hill lost as a youth (I was around 7-9 years old when Hill was at his peak). The first time I cried about F1 was when Hill retired from a race, I believe during the 1995 season. God knows what exact race it was.

I have only seen the SENNA film twice, and I cried both times (and before anyone chimes in, no, not because it was crap   ;) ). I first saw it in 2012, which proves I am just as big a cry baby in my mid-20's as I was when I was a toddler. More recently, I had tears in my eyes when Lewis won the title at Abu Dhabi last year. F1 is the tip of the iceberg though, I balled my eyes out after watching Toy Story 3, and after I passed my driving test.

A few "goosebumps" moments have passed me by. Valencia 2012 would have been one, but it happened on the same day as my 25th birthday. I am teetotal, but I stayed out the previous night at a club that a friend owns (me and my other friends were V.I.P's that night. which is just as lame as it sounds). I was too knackered to feel anything the next day. The only memories I have about that day was that it was very Sunny outside, my mate making me a rancid brew at 6am, and my Brother having a nervous breakdown after England lost in the World Cup. The race was a complete write-off. I only recall Pastor and Lewis's collision, and Vettel retiring from the lead. Everything else is sadly a blur. 

Japan 2014 was a slow-burner. As I am a moron, I did not know what was going on (I watched on BBC for the record). Plus, I did not hear much of what was being said, as I was having a stupid argument with my old man about the race being stopped before all scheduled laps were completed (he thought half points should be awarded because he is a buffoon),  It was only about half an hour after the race that I found out something tragic had happened. I did get the "goosebumps effect" after coming on here and finding out the details.

The start of Italy 2003 was one I recall getting "goosebumps" over. I recall thinking that JPM had a serious chance of being World Champion that year, and was really nervous before the lights went out. That race has always stayed with me for some reason. 

Great idea for a thread  :up:

Edited by sennafan24, 25 February 2015 - 15:33.

Advertisement

#40 Elba

Elba

• 318 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 15:33

Another teary moment (mostly for Mika Hakkinen) dawned on me.

1999 Mika spun off at Monza I believe because he downshifted a gear too much. Threw out his steering wheel, got out of the car threw away his gloves in disgust while thousands of tifosi were cheering.Then behind some bush he kneeled (or knelt??) down and appeared to cry. 

Some marshals and/or a photographer rushed over and tried to console him.

Made for very dramatic television but happily for Mika that season ended well.

http://www.dailymoti...lonen-mtv3_auto

article-2604146-001F483D00000258-31_634x

I rooted for the other camp back then but boy what a great guy and awesome racer he was  :)

Edited by Elba, 25 February 2015 - 15:36.

#41 RubberKubrick

RubberKubrick

• 292 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 15:36

JVilleneuve. Estoril. Outside.

That was an IndyCar move. You you don't do that in F1. That was baths** crazy.

#42 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 16:00

I really don't get that emotional, I'd follow Webber's trials and tribulations but not really as emotionally vested as this thread suggests. The win in 09 was a feeling of relief though. 

Even crashes leave me a bit meh as i always expect them to walk away. The only time i have really felt anything that could be described as a raw emotion was Greg Moore's plane crash at Michigan, he seemed like such a good kid and the crash was just impossibly violent. You knew he was gone, right there and then. 

#43 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 16:20

Over to you, let's hear your moments!

None of those

HOWEVER

Shocked and disgusted when bloody Hamilton overtook the Toyota to win the WDC on the last corner  :down:  :down:

Poor Felipe  :clap:  :clap:  Felipe deserves the WDC darn it, :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  not ruddy Hamilton  :down:  :down:  :down:

#44 givemeabettercar

givemeabettercar

• 60 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 16:26

114374181_kamui_343522c.jpg

#45 ShivyF1

ShivyF1

• 141 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 16:37

My F1 memories start in 98, I was watching F1 on and off since 94, but 98 was the 1st season I watched every race and as a huge Schumacher fan.  

The one which always makes me jump up and down and makes me want to shout from the rooftops in excitement is Schumacher's move on Hakkinen at Monza 98.  Coulthard had a 10 second lead going into the lap from Hakkinen with Schumacher on his gearbox.  The camera follows Hakkinen and Schumi through grand curve and they go through blue smoke...Coulthard's engine has blown up before the 2nd chicane.  Hakkinen slows down as he doesn't know whats happened in front, Schumacher doesn't slow as much, places his car on the outside, Hakkinen defends on the entry, Schumi does the classic cut back on the exit and powers his way past.

To cap it off, Murray says 'The lead changes twice in about 400 yards!'.

1998 has to be my favourite season of all time.

Edited by ShivyF1, 25 February 2015 - 16:44.

#46 JoseM

JoseM

• 109 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 16:40

Nico Rosberg winning his first ever Grand Prix in China 2012. What a display of relentlesness.

Felipe Massa mechanic bumping his head into the wall after Hamilton crosses the line in fifth place back in Brazil 2008. Sad, sad moment, after all of his troubles. He deserved the championship.

Sebastian Vettel winning his first race waay back in Monza. Even the mighy McLaren was futile that day.

Fernando Alonso crashing at Fuji 2007. Without that, he is a triple world champion. Heartbreaking.

#47 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 17:01

I really don't get that emotional, I'd follow Webber's trials and tribulations but not really as emotionally vested as this thread suggests. The win in 09 was a feeling of relief though. 

Even crashes leave me a bit meh as i always expect them to walk away. The only time i have really felt anything that could be described as a raw emotion was Greg Moore's plane crash at Michigan, he seemed like such a good kid and the crash was just impossibly violent. You knew he was gone, right there and then. 

I was 15 when Greg Moore crashed (it was at Fontana by the way), and it was just awful. I have never seen a crash like it. It wasn't the first fatal accident I'd seen, but when the doctor started saying the inevitible, "I regret to inform you...", I felt a deep sadness inside. He was just a young kid and I know sometimes people use "he would have been a future champion" as a mark of respect, but in Greg Moore's case it was so obviously true.

On the flip side, I'm not that emotional but Jean Alesi's win in the 1995 Canadian Grand Prix was amazingly joyous, even if it was a little fortuitous. It felt like everyone was willing him on and there didn't seem to be a dry eye in the house.

#48 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 17:03

Okaaaaay...after my previous attempt at a thread flopped, I'm back for more punishment  :wave:

I actually saw this on another forum and thought it would be awesome to hear some of your moments in F1. What brought tears to your eyes and what affected you so much you got goosebumps just watching it? To give you an example, man, I still get affected by that Lion King stampede scene (you know what I'm talking about or else you're just too young  :lol: ). When Mufasa saved Simba my heart was in my mouth, when he leapt out of the stampede and started climbing my whole body was covered in goosebumps and I cried like a baby when Scar killed him and Simba discovered the body.

CROSS THREAD ALERT !!!!

EJ10_zps8715ef4d.jpg

Jp

#49 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 17:04

I had the same feeling with the Tagliani/Zanardi crash. It's why any fatal accident now leaves me with a sense of disbelief rather than horror. Tags was barely even injured...

#50 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,567 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 17:21

1988 GP Italian (Alboreto & Berger)

1991 GP Mexico (Mansell outside in the Paralada)

1993 Indy500 Restart - cheering for Mansell

The biggest was the first USGP at Indy. Legendary facility, great friends/food/party and a win for the Tifosi :up:

Edited by aportinga, 25 February 2015 - 17:24.