Photo

A G Wood BRM

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 858 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:54

I have in front of me a March 64 Rufforth programme with an entry for AG Wood in a BRM 2499 cc in  a very mixed grid. Which car was this? presumably one of the last 2.5 rear engined cars?

Also a Lotus F1 of  B J Hough 1475cc

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,582 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:48

The BRM was P48 chassis 486, owned at the time by Brian Waddilove who wrote it off shortly afterwards at Harewood. A G (Greg) Wood then acquired his own BRM, a P57, which he fitted with a Ford V8. See the discussion in this earlier thread, which includes Doug's potted histories of all the P48 chassis:

http://forums.autosp...nd-his-brm-p48/

#3 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 13:01

Greg Wood of course also hillclimbed a Jaguar 3.8 in the early 1960s, possibly his road car, certainly at Harwood IIRC,  and if he is/was one of the Wood brothers he rallied an ex works Rapier, one of the 5192/93 RW regs, the other being with Tony Fall ISTR,  in 62/63. Photos here somewhere, previously posted on TNF  ISTR . I believe we have had mention of him here before, Tim. O/T I know but......... I thought that was what we are about

Roger Lund

Just remembered it might have been the Woods bros, Rally historians might clarify.  YSCC Yorks Rally 62/63 reports might throw some light. Always late Feb  Fri/Sat night rally a couple of weeks after the Monte. 

Edit.  BTW that link which Tim put up  just now seems to embody IMHO just what this place was set up to do. RL

Edited by bradbury west, 26 February 2015 - 13:03.

#4 jam269

jam269

• 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 15:19

BRM P48 chassis 486 was my late fathers car, Brian Waddilove. I am his son Simon. As said he crashed it at Harewood 13/4/1964, seven days before I was born. He also did numerous rallies with Greg Wood, who was my godfather. I have here, ready to clean a large cup. RAC International Rally 1958, Class 5 Winners B,R Waddilove and A,G Wood. However I would be most interested to find out if Chassis 486 is still alive. I can still remember playing in it as a very young boy.

#5 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,582 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 15:46

Welcome, Simon. Here's what Doug Nye wrote about your father's BRM P48 in the earlier thread I posted a link to above:

486 - strut-rear suspension, 3-brake car - Dan Gurney's late-season 1960 car - winner at Ballarat, Australia, 1961 - this is the Ray Fielding hill-climb car 1962-63, Sir John Townley, Brian Waddilove, Mike Stow, cannibalised by Stow for his original front-engined BRM Type 25 recreation programme (which pre-dated Wheatcroft's) - to Robs Lamplough UK - survives stripped, knackered - unrestored today. SURVIVES.

DCN

This was written back in 2003; perhaps Doug or someone else can now provide more recent info on the car. We'd love to hear any reminiscences you might have about your father's competition career, and Greg Wood too.

Edited by Tim Murray, 29 March 2015 - 16:05.

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,512 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 20:30

Robs Lamplough still has the car, to the best of my knowledge, and it has been re-assembled to running order around the original chassis. Great to hear from you Simon - unravelling the story of that particular car was one of the most enjoyable parts of my BRM researches...and (the late?) Greg Wood, in particular, was extremely helpful.

DCN

#7 jam269

jam269

• 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 18:06

Many thanks for your replies. I am so happy that BRM 486 is still kicking. I also still have my fathers, Brian Waddilove, crash helmet from his Harewood crash. However it is abit scuffed up, as you;. would expect. He and Greg competed in many rallies together. I know my father did the Monte 3 times and the RAC 8 times, when all your spares where carried in the car days. I was always led to believe that BRM 486 was an ex Ginther car. However I have no proof of this. And I have since read about the Dan Gurney connection. I know BRM 486 was sold around 1976 before we moved to Devon in 77.

#8 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,582 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 18:33

I was always led to believe that BRM 486 was an ex Ginther car.

According to Doug's BRM bible the last appearance of 486 as a works car was when Dan Gurney used it to win the Victorian Trophy at Ballarat in Australia in February 1961. Ginther didn't join BRM until 1962, when 486 was being used by Ray Fielding in hillclimbs.

#9 jam269

jam269

• 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 19:09

Greg Wood did  rally an ex works Rapier, 1592RW. He and Brian Waddilove did the 1960 Tulip Rally car number 120. I have the rally plate for this event, I don't think they finished. Im sure I could dig out some photos of this car.  Harewood was my dads home event and in the early 60s he had a lot of success in BRW26 E Type. There is a hill coming out of Bradford up to Harry Ramsdons. My dad always said, "A ton ten at the top of Hollins Hill". That was in the E Type BRW26. My mum still has that number on her 1976 Jaguar.

#10 jam269

jam269

• 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 19:17

Thanks for the Dan Gurney information about 486. As I said I was lead to believe and via this I now know some more history concerning my fathers ex car

#11 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 16:48

Also a Lotus F1 of  B J Hough 1475cc

Would that Lotus be the ex UDT Laystall 18/21 chassis 917, which previous owner Ron Carter ran with a Ford engine? The car that went on to Albert Rodgie who fitted a Chevy V8? (according to DCN's Theme Lotus)

#12 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 16:22

According to Doug's BRM bible the last appearance of 486 as a works car was when Dan Gurney used it to win the Victorian Trophy at Ballarat in Australia in February 1961. Ginther didn't join BRM until 1962, when 486 was being used by Ray Fielding in hillclimbs.

Obviously worked on the principle that one yank is very much like another yank :p

#13 meditek

meditek

• 5 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 17:57

I well remember Waddilove blasting thunderously down the wrong the wrong side of the road at about 80 mph after leaving a Rufforth race meeting in the good old days. Stuck in the traffic jam on the proper side we loved it. As for going up Hollings Hill at 100 mph, I achieved it in my Dad's Alvis but was put in my place when John Busfields tuned MG twin cam passed me at 110 near the top. In those days every outing was a race.  The Saturday run back from the Harrogate Grand to the Ilkley area regularly claimed a life or two. A bend on the Pool > Otley road caught a number out. Life was a lot cheaper in those days as we all wanted to play catch up with the Spitfire boys. Now at 80 I think of the number of very exciting near misses I had and thank my Guardian angel. There was a freedom on the roads in the 50's and 60's which we shall never see again.

#14 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 13:37

On his Friends of Silverstone Facebook page Steve Wilkinson of this parish has posted a fine Autosports image of Brian Waddilove in the 58 RAC Rally, ear’oling  his 2.4 Jaguar  around the circuit. Perhaps our  Moderators can contact Brian’s son, a previous poster on this thread, to alert him to this bit of family history.  He may already know about it, but I always reckon info is better had twice than not at all.

with good intentions

Roger Lund

#15 jam269

jam269

• 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2022 - 20:12

Hi. Just an update on BRM 486. I actually found the car at william anson. I also went to see the car and sat in it. It has also competed at goodwood over recent years after having a full restoration. Was absolutely brilliant to actually sit in the car probably 50yrs from when I last saw it all crashed up in the corner of a garage in Idle Yorkshire