- - - - -

Racing fans

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:19

Racing fans is such fan-tastic crowd, they do so much for their favorite teams & drivers. I hope they (teams/drivers) understand/realize they would be very lonely without them. 

this is the sweetest message I ever seen in racing circumstances on social media.  :love:

I had to do a topic about it.

What kind of supporter are you ?

1.Social media supporter. (You post messages to boost your teams/drivers) wish them good luck ect.)
2.Visit a race/s supporter to cheer on my favorite driver/teams.
3.Social media supporter and visit a race/s supporter to cheer on my favorite driver/teams.
4.I don´t support any team/drivers, I only enjoy motorsport and watching on TV.
5.Other kind of supporter.

Edit: (I was going to do a poll but I messed it up.  :stoned:

(I´m not a fan of Nick Heidfeld in case you wonder.)

Edited by Lotusseven, 04 March 2015 - 04:37.

Advertisement

#2 Amin

Amin

• 700 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:25

If you count forums as social media, then 3.

#3 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:28

I'm not a team or driver fan or supporter. Don't understand it. Find it a waste of time to devote so much of your energy towards someone else's pursuits.

I watch sport for the sport. I respect sporting achievement, a fierce battle, seeing an underdog coming good, being wowed by technical prowess, watching a team's progression over a season, things like that. I do like participating in fan debate to get a different input on things, but most of the time find myself taking a devil's advocate role due to the mob mentality and closed-mindedness/short-sightedness of the 'true fans', whatever that means (unconditional love?).

Ps. I find the whole referring to a team as 'us' or 'we' if you're not employed by them obnoxious. I can't help but view people like that as stupid. And yes, I know, it's offensive. But why not get out there and work towards your own dreams instead of grabbing the coattails of someone else's. If you want to be 'us' or 'we' - apply for a job in the paddock.

Pps. Do I get your votes for future FOM CEO?   ;)

#4 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:53

Sort of a mix between 3 and 4. I have a favorite team in LMP1 in the FIA WEC, and I support them when I go to Le Mans, but (with one exception) I do not begrudge other teams taking the glory, the main reason I watch motorsport and go to see the big 24h race trackside is personal enjoyment. Yes, if Audi wins I get a bit frustrated to see them win again, but that passes quite quickly when considering the overall experience of actually being trackside.

#5 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:23

It depends on ?...Do you know if the 2008 candidates can is still interested of the job ? 

( Nick Craw, ACCUS USA 
Gerhard Berger ex BMW, ex Red Bull,STR, Austria 
Alan Prost, France 
Francois Fillion, France 
Marco Piccinini, ex Ferrari, Italy
Hermann Tomczyk, ADAC Germany
Prof. Jürgen Hubbert, ex Mercedes, Germany )

;) 

#6 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:23

If you count forums as social media, then 3.

Yes.

#7 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:30

I go to watch other racing series, but rarely watch F1 live, it's largely a TV event for me due to the ridiculous prices. So I'm somewhere between 2 and 4. I post on here a bit and that's about it.

As for other 'social media' ... just no.

#8 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:49

I'm not a team or driver fan or supporter. Don't understand it. Find it a waste of time to devote so much of your energy towards someone else's pursuits.

I watch sport for the sport. I respect sporting achievement, a fierce battle, seeing an underdog coming good, being wowed by technical prowess, watching a team's progression over a season, things like that. I do like participating in fan debate to get a different input on things, but most of the time find myself taking a devil's advocate role due to the mob mentality and closed-mindedness/short-sightedness of the 'true fans', whatever that means (unconditional love?).

Ps. I find the whole referring to a team as 'us' or 'we' if you're not employed by them obnoxious. I can't help but view people like that as stupid. And yes, I know, it's offensive. But why not get out there and work towards your own dreams instead of grabbing the coattails of someone else's. If you want to be 'us' or 'we' - apply for a job in the paddock.

Do you not ever get tempted to cheer on a driver or team when they are in fierce competition? I think that is the buzz of watching motorsport, having your heart pumping fast in the dying moments of competition. Don't get me wrong I like to change my preferences with F1 and don't support one particular team. I like to support the driver that excites me the most with their skills. 

I think it is natural as a human being to get drawn into competition and pick a side, its almost instinctive really. Much like billions of people Worldwide cheer their countries on in the Olympics, World Cups, and regional sporting teams. There is an awful lot of stupid people out there by your standards. :)

I follow most teams and drivers on twitter, but never sent them tweets as I think it is pointless as they get so many. They wouldn't be interested anyway. I like forums to discuss though.

Edited by tifosiMac, 04 March 2015 - 10:50.

#9 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:27

F1 fans have NO Business being on the grid and don't you forget it.

b39b239b8d3bb072d09dd1ebe15212c4.jpeg

Jp

#10 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:56

Plonker.

#11 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 15:21

Yes superden, I am indeed a Plonker.

There is even a thread about my post

Jp

#12 king_crud

king_crud

• 7,964 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 15:52

I watch a few seconds of a race on tv and complain about how it was better in the olden days (which in the case of F1 is true)

#13 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 16:01

Yes superden, I am indeed a Plonker.
There is even a thread about my post

Jp

No no, I meant Bernie! Not you!

#14 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 16:08

I know den..I was just being a plonker and pretending you were talking about ME!!!

Jp

#15 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 16:16

I know den..I was just being a plonker and pretending you were talking about ME!!!
Jp

Ah ... plonker. Hoho.

#16 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 22:37

Have been an F1 fan since 1993, the years that Verstappen participated were simply extra special for me. As is the upcoming season!

Visited a handfull of races back in the days, even have my nick on a flag that travelled the world:
2008_Forumvlag_Nurburgring.jpg

#17 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,465 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 23:20

4b. I don´t support any team/drivers, I  only enjoy motorsport and watching on TV and comment about it/discuss it here.

#18 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:34

Sometimes I feel obsessed to twitter (the only social media I am on ) and all because of the motorsport info. the teams, some drivers. I tweet to drivers and sometimes they answer me, but mostly not. What I've noticed the latest 6 months is that many drivers favorite or retweet fans/followers tweets. Small effort but an nice one for the fans/followers.

I have to watch all races via live streaming because F1 in my country is on a pay channel as are too expensive for my wallet. New lap top and a HDMI cable for 2015. :) haha..

I was to Monaco GP 2007 it was an experience, but also 45% a pain in the a**, the weather (rain qualday and very hot raceday  :o  ), the audience, it was an intense experience being like in a sardines cans with thousands others in little MC  :o ... anyway happy I was there.  :)

#19 ronsingapore

ronsingapore

• 103 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:55

Racing fans is such fan-tastic crowd, they do so much for their favorite teams & drivers. I hope they (teams/drivers) understand/realize they would be very lonely without them. 

this is the sweetest message I ever seen in racing circumstances on social media.  :love:

I had to do a topic about it.

What kind of supporter are you ?

1.Social media supporter. (You post messages to boost your teams/drivers) wish them good luck ect.)
2.Visit a race/s supporter to cheer on my favorite driver/teams.
3.Social media supporter and visit a race/s supporter to cheer on my favorite driver/teams.
4.I don´t support any team/drivers, I only enjoy motorsport and watching on TV.
5.Other kind of supporter.

Edit: (I was going to do a poll but I messed it up.  :stoned:

(I´m not a fan of Nick Heidfeld in case you wonder.)

I am a mix of number 4 and 5.

I am of the millennial generation; nearly everyone of my age around me has zero interest in motorsports; worse still, my country has zero knowledge or contact with motorsports.

Nearly those of my generation drive (on the condition that they can even afford a car) those new "boxy" looking cars that seemed like mini-versions of real cars.

I am really scared that the age of fast, beautiful sleek cars are coming to an end and that I wouldn't ever have a chance to drive one.

Edited by ronsingapore, 05 March 2015 - 09:57.

Advertisement

#20 ronsingapore

ronsingapore

• 103 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:57

I am a mix of number 4 and 5.

I am of the millennial generation; nearly everyone of my age around me has zero interest in motorsports; worse still, my country has zero knowledge or contact with motorsports.

Nearly those of my generation drive those new "boxy" looking cars that seemed like mini-versions of real cars.

I am really scared that the age of fast, beautiful sleek cars are coming to an end and that I wouldn't ever have a chance to drive one.

Why are people of my generation not following F1? Some don't even know what the term "motorsports" mean.

F1 can't wait for them to go to over; they need to go over to where the next generation of fans are.

#21 Nathan

Nathan

• 6,841 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 20:51

Our fathers generations had a love of affair with the car, your generation doesn't.  Think of how many people would have been enamored with trains and horses 150 years ago.  Technological progress creates new interests to follow. I share your feeling/concerns about where cars and motorsports is going.  But it makes me sort of happy because it means all the gems worth too much now are probably going to be affordable to me in 20-30 years, which is around the time I should be flush :drunk:

Edited by Nathan, 05 March 2015 - 20:52.

#22 ronsingapore

ronsingapore

• 103 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:26

Our fathers generations had a love of affair with the car, your generation doesn't.  Think of how many people would have been enamored with trains and horses 150 years ago.  Technological progress creates new interests to follow. I share your feeling/concerns about where cars and motorsports is going.  But it makes me sort of happy because it means all the gems worth too much now are probably going to be affordable to me in 20-30 years, which is around the time I should be flush :drunk:

That is true; in general, F1 is fast going out of touch with the mainstream crowd; the same way cricket has slowly faded away in UK, and some of the former british colony (except for India).

Problem is a sport like football can be exported to the masses; whereas for motorsports, it is a lot more difficult.

F1 promotes itself as something that is exclusive and hard-to-reach, and it has worked well so far; look at how Monaco is associated with F1.

But in a fast-changing world, it needs to be careful that it makes itself too elitist - look at horse polo; how many of us even watch horse polo?

#23 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:07

Do you not ever get tempted to cheer on a driver or team when they are in fierce competition? I think that is the buzz of watching motorsport, having your heart pumping fast in the dying moments of competition. Don't get me wrong I like to change my preferences with F1 and don't support one particular team. I like to support the driver that excites me the most with their skills. 

I think it is natural as a human being to get drawn into competition and pick a side, its almost instinctive really. Much like billions of people Worldwide cheer their countries on in the Olympics, World Cups, and regional sporting teams. There is an awful lot of stupid people out there by your standards. :)

I follow most teams and drivers on twitter, but never sent them tweets as I think it is pointless as they get so many. They wouldn't be interested anyway. I like forums to discuss though.

Yeah, of course I do. But it's in the moment, as a part of the sporting experience as you say. I follow the careers and progression of the teams and drivers, admire some more than others, wish success on some more than others (very upset over Kubica never getting to show his potential for example). Some of that flavours my experience at the track or following on TV.

Of course those people aren't all stupid! Nationalism is cool story bro!