Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Bernie will let you on the grid... if you are are pretty woman.

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,449 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:15

Tweet posted by the former Caterham Commerical manager shows a letter from Bernie to Cyril Abiteboul.

It reads:

"Dear Cyril Please be reminded that where possible, grid access passes should be used for celebrities or people of note or as always, really glamorous      ladies.

This is not so much a sporting matter but part of the show business of Formula One.

Best wishes

Bernie"

pic.twitter.com/WDmMlqF4lK

:rolleyes:

Advertisement

#2 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:17

I'm all for this.

#3 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,449 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:18

I'm all for this.

Are you a pretty woman?

FRIENDS2.jpg

#4 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 415 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:18

How it is and how it will always be.

Non-story. No one wants to look at a load of mooses next to F1 cars.

#5 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:34

When broadcasters first started doing the live grid walks, it was a chaotic but likeable format where the intrepid broadcaster had to elbow his way through crowds of anonymous hangers-on in order to get a word with a driver or team boss. I liked that. Now it seems to be increasingly orchestrated, and most of the interviews seem to be with celebrities unconnected with F1.

If it's part of the business model and it helps F1 with its image, I guess we have to live with the celebrities on the grid (as tedious as it is). But do we really not think F1 could promote itself equally efffectively without using women purely as decorations? I'd like to think it could.

#6 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:43

I don't know who most people on the grid walk are and don't give a **** either. It's why I switch on for the start of the warm-up lap and avoid the rest of any coverage any more. It's bad enough that they show you the 'drama' on the faces of 'celebrities' during the race, without hearing their vacuous jabber about things I care not one jot about.

#7 brr

brr

• 480 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:01

Lets solve this as all the other first world problems which cherry-picking feminists whine about: set an "ugly woman" quota of grid passes. I'd love to see the women who get those. On second thought, I probably wouldn't.

#8 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,543 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:18

To be fair to Bernie, he'll let ugly women on the grid too - as long as they are famous or powerful... :)

#9 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:29

Good one Bernie I will get this actioned right away. I have one amendment though. Could we ban ugly midget pensioners too unless they are decent people with enthusiasm for the sport?  :cool:

#10 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:32

The comments to that Twitter post are hilarious.

What a shock! Cue the outrage! :lol:

But do we really not think F1 could promote itself equally efffectively without using women purely as decorations? I'd like to think it could.

For quite a few of these 'glamorous ladies', being seen is all part of their business scheme. Having a high profile brings in the invitations for other events, which in turn helps both the 'glamorous lady' and the business inviting her to show up. As for for the 'decorations', we've been over this many times (see this thread for a good discussion). Many of the young women holding up signs on the grid are either models (often working to pay for college) or actual fans of motorsport.

Edited by Nonesuch, 04 March 2015 - 10:40.

#11 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:55

So who was Caterham giving grid passes to then?

This is Bernie. God knows if he was serious or not. Either way, there are things you don't say on a communique bearing you name.

#12 brr

brr

• 480 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:14

So who was Caterham giving grid passes to then?

Maybe Bernie mistook Richard Branson in drag for one of Tony Fernandes' "glamorous ladies".

#13 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:28

When broadcasters first started doing the live grid walks, it was a chaotic but likeable format where the intrepid broadcaster had to elbow his way through crowds of anonymous hangers-on in order to get a word with a driver or team boss. I liked that. Now it seems to be increasingly orchestrated, and most of the interviews seem to be with celebrities unconnected with F1.

If it's part of the business model and it helps F1 with its image, I guess we have to live with the celebrities on the grid (as tedious as it is). But do we really not think F1 could promote itself equally efffectively without using women purely as decorations? I'd like to think it could.

It's the main reason I no longer bother to tune in for the grid walk. 

#14 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:32

Bernie has a sense of humour, I am sure that was a merely a quip, not a serious direction.

#15 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:34

Bernie has a sense of humour, I am sure that was a merely a quip, not a serious direction.

Possibly, but look around during a grid walk and it looks like it is being put into practise.

#16 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:56

We can only speculate. My reading of it was Bernie prefers it if these passes are given to business people that are in his league and that he might be interested in speaking to, or to famous people or attractive females. But he won't be happy if the passes go to friends or business associates of the team or its owners who Bernie doesn't wish to waste his time on.

Maybe Caterham's VIPs were annoying Bernie by pestering him about deals or scams or business proposals that were small beer, and he was just sending a signal that maybe the team should use its passes to put a few more minor celebs or pretty ladies on the grid instead.

#17 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:58

Are you a pretty woman?

FRIENDS2.jpg

Only at the weekends.

#18 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,158 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 13:00

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/117876

"Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene says he took to the grandstands during Formula 1 testing at Barcelona as a protest against proposed pass restrictions on teams this season.

Arrivabene was pictured with team personnel, including reserve driver Esteban Gutierrez, sat with F1 fans while watching testing unfold from the stands last Saturday.

The Scuderia boss said he made the move as a 'provocation' against plans to increase limits on the number of paddock passes teams can hand out at races this year.

'I heard that in Australia there will be more restriction [for teams] in terms of passes and I think this is not acceptable,' Arrivabene explained."

But clueless pretty airheads are all good.

#19 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 13:03

Possibly, but look around during a grid walk and it looks like it is being put into practise.

As the saying goes; 'It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it'.

M7m9LTU.jpg

Advertisement

#20 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 13:10

given that most male F1 fans are akin to jeremy clarkson and his manifesto for life, bernie is spot on with his approach. he knows ugly, pot bellied middle aged men are his core audience and markets directly to them with "dolly birds."

#21 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 13:12

Eye candy will be eye candy. I don't watch the grid walks as they are not insightful and often you find out how vapid some of the big celebrities actually are. If they only let actual fans, famous of not onto the grid that would be better. 

#22 Elba

Elba

• 318 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 13:32

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/117876

"Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene says he took to the grandstands during Formula 1 testing at Barcelona as a protest against proposed pass restrictions on teams this season.

Arrivabene was pictured with team personnel, including reserve driver Esteban Gutierrez, sat with F1 fans while watching testing unfold from the stands last Saturday.

The Scuderia boss said he made the move as a 'provocation' against plans to increase limits on the number of paddock passes teams can hand out at races this year.

'I heard that in Australia there will be more restriction [for teams] in terms of passes and I think this is not acceptable,' Arrivabene explained."

But clueless pretty airheads are all good.

Good post, I think you can see that letter to Cyril Abiteboul in the same context as the Arrivabene protest.

Clearly Bernie is restricting the number of paddock passes each team gets, like he has done before when the physio's weren't automatically let on the grid anymore.

Arrivabene was accompanied by some hotshot from Philip Morris, they are especially affected as they use these grid-walks and hospitality as a business-to-business tool.

Anyway it's Bernie's call how many and what sort of people he'd like to see on the grid, he runs the show and as you say pretty women are always good   ;)

#23 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,836 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 13:50

It's the main reason I no longer bother to tune in for the grid walk. 

Seconded. If there is one thing I hate is interviews with celebs or, equally idiotic, 'the man or woman' in the street. You either have something worthy to add to a discussion... or not. I always watch F1 races in the replay and fast forward through all the interviews with singers, showbizz-people or other life-lottery winners...

#24 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,567 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 13:50

Tweet posted by the former Caterham Commerical manager shows a letter from Bernie to Cyril Abiteboul.

It reads:

"Dear Cyril Please be reminded that where possible, grid access passes should be used for celebrities or people of note or as always, really glamorous      ladies.

This is not so much a sporting matter but part of the show business of Formula One.

Best wishes

Bernie"

pic.twitter.com/WDmMlqF4lK

:rolleyes:

I'm out  :drunk:

#25 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 312 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 13:54

Only at the weekends.

And bank holidays  :yawnface:

#26 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 14:18

Bernie is a piece of ****.

No one wants to see his ugly ass on the grid.

#27 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 14:21

He is saying "give a grid pass to Nico Rosberg", so?

#28 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 14:31

I don't mind pretty women on the F1 start grid. I don't mind 'glamorous ladies' either, so long as they aren't wrinkly old hags. I guess that makes me a male chauvinist pig?

#29 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,449 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 14:35

I don't mind pretty women on the F1 start grid. I don't mind 'glamorous ladies' either, so long as they aren't wrinkly old hags. I guess that makes me a male chauvinist pig?

I won't disagree  :p

#30 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 14:36

I guess that makes me a male chauvinist pig?

As the fine people on Twitter would say:

'When you can't quite believe what you're reading...'

'Fascinating and depressing.'

#31 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,727 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 14:39

As long as he obeys his own laws and gets his golem looking ass off the grid and my TV too.

This kind of thinking needs to go, or Bernie's exclusive little club will be finished soon, taking the glamorous women and celebrities with it.

#32 Elba

Elba

• 318 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 14:46

As long as he obeys his own laws and gets his golem looking ass off the grid and my TV too.

This kind of thinking needs to go, or Bernie's exclusive little club will be finished soon, taking the glamorous women and celebrities with it.

LOL :rolleyes:  why would Bernie not be on the grid, he runs the show, he's the one heads of state, royalty and politicians want to show them around.

#33 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,938 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 14:50

LOL :rolleyes:  why would Bernie not be on the grid, he runs the show, he's the one heads of state, royalty and politicians want to show them around.

And in contrast to the head of states, he's powerful.

#34 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 14:51

That's the way it should be.

Even beautiful people without any outstanding qualification can somehow contribute to the sport.

#35 crooky369

crooky369

• 628 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 14:58

I don't know who most people on the grid walk are and don't give a **** either. It's why I switch on for the start of the warm-up lap and avoid the rest of any coverage any more. It's bad enough that they show you the 'drama' on the faces of 'celebrities' during the race, without hearing their vacuous jabber about things I care not one jot about.

Yeah that's the worst. Although Rowan Arkinson was pretty amusing a few years back and we can forgive him because he's a bigger petrol head than most of us on here I'd say.

#36 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 15:00

I won't disagree  :p

As the fine people on Twitter would say:

'When you can't quite believe what you're reading...'

'Fascinating and depressing.'

I meant the MCP bit as a joke. :p I'm not a feminist but am far, far from being chauvinistic. More like one of those clueless types who hadn't realized what the fuss about Bigelow's 2009 Academy award win was since it was an excellently-directed film until it dawned that she happened to be the first woman to have won the prize.  :lol:

I'm sure women wouldn't mind seeing attractive men on the grid, either.  :up:

#37 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,845 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 15:01

Bianca says:

giphy.gif

#38 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 15:24

Call me blind but I can't read the letter as the angle is bad and its print is too small.
So here it is blown up for us old folks

b39b239b8d3bb072d09dd1ebe15212c4.jpeg

Oh and PS..

I'm out  :drunk:

you were never IN
Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 04 March 2015 - 15:29.

#39 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 15:40

I meant the MCP bit as a joke. :p

I suspect most people - at least those not directly voicing their disapproval of Bernie's business - are taking this whole brouhaha as exactly that; a joke. :p

Advertisement

#40 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 15:51

Seconded. If there is one thing I hate is interviews with celebs or, equally idiotic, 'the man or woman' in the street. You either have something worthy to add to a discussion... or not. I always watch F1 races in the replay and fast forward through all the interviews with singers, showbizz-people or other life-lottery winners...

Amen to that. This generalises. "Vox-popping" is the laziest thing a broadcaster can do. If I wanted to know what any random pleb in the street thinks about a topic, I do have the option of going out into the street, stopping a random person and asking them for their opinion. It's easy and free. You don't need a 2:1 in media studies and a badge that says you're a journalist to do it. I choose not to because it is a waste of time, and when a television broadcaster does it, it becomes a televised waste of time. Exactly the same applies if you do the same thing via twitter.

Anyway, interesting that the number of passes is being cut. The teams do need to be able to provide hospitality for their big-wigs, many of whom are neither famous nor female and glamerous. Surely Bernie is making it hard enough for teams to get sponsors by moving away from FTA television and imposing more and more restrictions on teams displaying sponsors' logos in the paddock or pitlane or anywhere (other than on the cars) where the FOM cameras might see them.

#41 Elba

Elba

• 318 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 16:02

Anyway, interesting that the number of passes is being cut. The teams do need to be able to provide hospitality for their big-wigs, many of whom are neither famous nor female and glamerous. Surely Bernie is making it hard enough for teams to get sponsors by moving away from FTA television and imposing more and more restrictions on teams displaying sponsors' logos in the paddock or pitlane or anywhere (other than on the cars) where the FOM cameras might see them.

Those will go under the header "people of note" as Bernie specified in his letter

#42 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 16:02

Anyway, interesting that the number of passes is being cut.

I'll tell ya something red.... The last grid walk I was on looked like  THIS..!!!

Jp

#43 Christbiscuit

Christbiscuit

• 354 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 16:17

I dunno... I mean... once I have heard the insightful F1 musings of Boris Becker and Sylvester Stallone, followed by the brief sight of Angela Merkel being shepherded away by her security detail, I'm usually really enthusiastic for the race. More than once I've found myself standing, screaming "START THE F**KING RACE, CHARLIE, FOR **** SAKE!"

If it ain't broke...

#44 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,836 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 16:46

I dunno... I mean... once I have heard the insightful F1 musings of Boris Becker and Sylvester Stallone, followed by the brief sight of Angela Merkel being shepherded away by her security detail, I'm usually really enthusiastic for the race. More than once I've found myself standing, screaming "START THE F**KING RACE, CHARLIE, FOR **** SAKE!"

If it ain't broke...

:up:

You are right, of course. Bernie is smarter than all of us. Reverse psychology it is, I tell you!

#45 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 16:54

If only pretty women could be used to race Bernie could actually find a way to get a decent amount on the F1 grid. 

#46 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 1,268 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 18:41

Bernie might approave at around 55 seconds in..

Edited by Shambolic, 04 March 2015 - 18:41.

#47 R Soul

R Soul

• 1,639 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 18:56

That letter is from May 2013. People had different attitudes back then.

#48 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 19:22

LOL :rolleyes: why would Bernie not be on the grid, he runs the show, he's the one heads of state, royalty and politicians want to show them around.

Joke_over_your_head.jpg

#49 Elba

Elba

• 318 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 20:13

Joke_over_your_head.jpg

Yeah I see that a lot, people say stupid things on the internet, get called on that and...............

Retort: "it was just a joke" riiiiight  :rolleyes:

Some free advice, stick to the day job as stand-up isn't in the cards  :wave:

#50 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 20:38

Jumping over the tumbleweed from above ^^^
I have just realised I have been in the paddock at the British GP so I am either somebody of note or a very glamorous lady. Maybe both? Or maybe a lucky chump who simply got through the net. :/