• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 2,070 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:47

Picked this up in the + article on autosport today:

http://plus.autospor...4709.1425558837

It seems bonkers to me that he was allowed to continue of loosing a brake disc - why wouldn't this attract a black flag?

Edit:

"Then he put on the softer tyre at the end and he was approaching a big gaggle of Force India, McLaren and Raikkonen's Ferrari, and he was catching them at two seconds a lap, so you thought he was going to end up fifth.

"But then his brake disc exploded and he did the last two laps on three brake discs. We were gutted, and so was he at the end, but, at Monza of all places, to finish on three brake discs was amazing. He came in and said, 'I have just performed a miracle'.

Edited by balmybaldwin, 05 March 2015 - 13:03.

Advertisement

#2 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,497 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:50

You will get the meatball first. ;) 

I don't have plus, but a small snippet of the article would help this thread.

#3 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 2,070 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 13:04

Good point... updated with a quote

#4 tormave

tormave

• 1,627 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 13:07

It just states that he raced 2 last laps of the race with 3 break discs and would've finished much higher had he not have that happen.

#5 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 2,070 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 13:11

yes.  that's my point - Brakes are clearly a safety related part, yet he was allowed to continue for 2 laps (6km?)  with brakes that were known to be defective

#6 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 13:24

He decreased his speed in a way that was able to brake normally..what all the fuss about here?

#7 Oho

Oho

• 11,801 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 13:25

Well in 98 Mika Häkkinen did way more laps apparently without front brakes, he span out when one of the discs exploded. His brakes had been dusting quite a bit since the beginning, nothing official was ever released but the grape wine had it one of the brake pads at the front was not properly seated in its leadings.

Edited by Oho, 05 March 2015 - 13:28.

#8 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 13:33

Schumacher did something similar in Canada once, didn't he? And finished a race in San Marino with a wheel that was totally locked up.

They're professionals. Once it's exploded, it isn't really that dangerous to leave them out there and let them deal with it. Which Kvyat appears to have done extremely well.

#9 jee

jee

• 1,285 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 13:47

A Villeneuve would have finished the race with 3 wheels

#10 Oho

Oho

• 11,801 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 14:02

Schumacher did something similar in Canada once, didn't he?

In 2000 I hazard to guess he prevailed largely thanks to rain. Don't know if Schumacher's troubles started before he went off but again the rumor had it his offs in turn 2 (really turn one after the mild bend) made hay with rear brake cooling ducts that were sitting uncomfortably low and more or less knocked out his rear brakes. I would think the best bet is overheating brakes with driver errors compounding the effects. His bacon was saved by the heavy rain for lesser demands on brakes and McLaren squandering a good opportunity by sending Häkkinen on an extra lap with dry tires in pouring rain.

Edited by Oho, 05 March 2015 - 14:03.

#11 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 14:16

In 2000 I hazard to guess he prevailed largely thanks to rain. Don't know if Schumacher's troubles started before he went off but again the rumor had it his offs in turn 2 (really turn one after the mild bend) made hay with rear brake cooling ducts that were sitting uncomfortably low and more or less knocked out his rear brakes. I would think the best bet is overheating brakes with driver errors compounding the effects. His bacon was saved by the heavy rain for lesser demands on brakes and McLaren squandering a good opportunity by sending Häkkinen on an extra lap with dry tires in pouring rain.

I was thinking of 2003, actually. Not perhaps as dramatic as Kvyat's feat, but he did lead home a chain of cars whilst suffering brake trouble.

#12 Brackets

Brackets

• 5,335 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 14:38

You’re all missing the point with these other examples. Nobody is questioning if he would have been able to slow down and make every corner on three brakes. Evidently, he did. And besides which, MAL can’t even do that with 4 brakes and yet he’s still in F1 (He’s still in F1 right?).

The point is that a broken disc was rotating at 20000rpm in a wheel going 340kmh at times in the middle of 180.000 people watching in bewilderment why nobody was stepping in to make this race a Ferrari victory. Surely this was a safety hazzard for everyone involved?

(I may have overdone it on the RPM. I may also have overdone it on track attendance. And while very unlikely, I may have overdone the percentage of viewers that was there for a Ferrari victory)

Edited by Brackets, 05 March 2015 - 14:39.

#13 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 14:50

Nursing cars home is part of the challenge.

How many cars would really finish a race if they were parked every time it failed to function with absolute perfection and reliability?

edit: typical Schumacher, lucky even when he was unlucky. ;)

Edited by Atreiu, 05 March 2015 - 14:51.

#14 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 15:27

You’re all missing the point with these other examples. Nobody is questioning if he would have been able to slow down and make every corner on three brakes. Evidently, he did. And besides which, MAL can’t even do that with 4 brakes and yet he’s still in F1 (He’s still in F1 right?).

The point is that a broken disc was rotating at 20000rpm in a wheel going 340kmh at times in the middle of 180.000 people watching in bewilderment why nobody was stepping in to make this race a Ferrari victory. Surely this was a safety hazzard for everyone involved?

(I may have overdone it on the RPM. I may also have overdone it on track attendance. And while very unlikely, I may have overdone the percentage of viewers that was there for a Ferrari victory)

Well, it depends. If the offending brake disc was indeed scattering debris around the track, then he should indeed have been hauled into the pits on a black-and-orange flag. If the only ill effect was a lass of braking ability, then I see no problem with Toro Rosso allowing him to cruise around the last couple of laps and pick up the points. I suspect that driving around on a disc you fear is about to explode is more hazardous than continuing to drive around after the event, actually. At least you know before you reach the corner that you're not going to be able to slow down.

#15 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 15:35

Well done Kvyat!