Photo

French Cobra Coupe - Le Mans Trials 1964

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gurneyfan

gurneyfan

• 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 23:56

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the #83 Cobra Coupe entered by French Team owner Andres Chardonnet and driven by Jean Vincent to 20th in the 1964 Le Mans Trials. I have never heard of this Cobra Coupe anywhere before and wonder what the chassis number was and what happened to it.

It was entered in the 1964 race but did not appear. At that time there were two Shelby coupes and the AC coupe which ran at Le Mans. I don't think the Willment Coupe had been completed yet. This coupe is not any of those and appears to have been built by Chardonnet. Chardonnet entered a roadster CSX 6010 with hardtop in the '64 race which finished 18th. 6010 finished 22nd in the '64 Le Mans trials.

00000027.jpg

Advertisement

#2 r.atlos

r.atlos

• 416 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:10

A Cobra without a V8 ... ? :lol:

Car n°83 (and, thus, the car in your picture) was neither a Cobra, nor entered by André Chardonnet. It was Robert EDITED: Roland Lutz in an Elva Courier.

The Vincent (Chardonnet) car you refer to carried n° 82 and was a bug-standard roadster.

Edited by r.atlos, 06 March 2015 - 14:04.

#3 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:27

If you check on the wonderful REVS archive under George Phillips collection and enter 1964 and Le Mans, Circuit de la Sarthe under the venue and years option boxes there is another good shot of the no 83 car. Off topic I know, but..... Still a good plug for the REVs archive.
BTW it was a car, no 83 that is, with which I was not familiar, so always good to come across something new
Roger Lund

#4 r.atlos

r.atlos

• 416 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 14:03

Just to complete this OT for everybody's sake: Roland (sorry, not Robert as I had stated above) Lutz and Richard O'Steen (his co-driver in June) were US service men based in Poitiers and had done this special body on their Courier frame in their spare time.

Edited by r.atlos, 06 March 2015 - 14:12.