* * * * * 1 votes

Todt may open tender again for new teams

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,449 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:54

Todt stated in an interview with New York times that he may open up the grid again for one or two more new teams. Apparently he is unhappy that two teams went under last year and see's that having more teams on the grid may reduce costs.

This news also comes after Ferrari stated yesterday that they want more teams on the grid.

I wonder if Ferrari is pushing for this to happen?

Advertisement

#2 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:57

Aha...then we might see Stefan GP on the grid ? (just saying) 

#3 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,126 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:03

First reply - new record?  :drunk:  :p

#4 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 1,092 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:05

Yep, all those millionaires sitting on piles of money, tapping their thumbs, ready to spend a billion pounds in 10 years but not being allowed into F1.

That's the problem Jean.

#5 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,449 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:14

seriously, one post in and already a Stephan GP joke. :rotfl:

#6 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:22

Don't forget Volkswagen Group! :lol:

#7 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,497 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:30

Why so difficult with tenders et al. :S

#8 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:30

The NYT Todt story link...

http://www.nytimes.c...-fast-lane.html

#9 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:40

This is only logical and should happen regularly every 1, 2 or 3 years for as long as we don't have a full grid of 12 or 13 teams. I'm glad Todt continues concerned about this. But the real, critical question is whether there are any serious interested parties, and if there's a viable business plan for them.

What happened to Forza Rossa, hadn't they won the last tender together with Haas? It's as if they've completely disappeared from the media, and Todt doesn't even mention them.

#10 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,449 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:42

I think Forza Rossa wanted to take over Caterhams assets before all of that dissolved.

#11 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:45

This is only logical and should happen regularly every 1, 2 or 3 years for as long as we don't have a full grid of 12 or 13 teams. I'm glad Todt continues concerned about this. But the real, critical question is whether there are any serious interested parties, and if there's a viable business plan for them.

What happened to Forza Rossa, hadn't they won the last tender together with Haas? It's as if they've completely disappeared from the media, and Todt doesn't even mention them.

It would be far more logical to fix the problem that is causing teams to leave the grid. 

#12 Hans V

Hans V

• 651 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:50

So Todts offering a chance to invest about a hundred million dollars in facilities, rack up losses of at least 30-50 million USD a year for years to come and be humiliated every other sunday? I guess the line outside Place de la Concorde to sign up for that isn't particularly long.

If he's so unhappy about teams going under maybe he should try to do something with the cause of them going under. Such thing as Income distribution, the insane costs of competing in F1 or marketing the sport. By the looks of it he doesn't really seem to care and keeps saying that there is nothing the FIA can do about those things. 

#13 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:58

It would be far more logical to fix the problem that is causing teams to leave the grid. 

Of course! But that's not mutually exclusive. Best thing for F1 would be to fix what's up with the teams that are on the verge of dying, AND figure out a way to fill up the remaining slots.

Let's not forget that teams collapsing for whatever reason, can happen at any time, even in times of financial prosperity. Regular openings for new teams is healthy, regardless of the major sustainability problems that we have at the moment.

#14 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:58

I'll just mention MyF1Dream now to get it over with...

#15 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:06

Of course! But that's not mutually exclusive. Best thing for F1 would be to fix what's up with the teams that are on the verge of dying, AND figure out a way to fill up the remaining slots.

Let's not forget that teams collapsing for whatever reason, can happen at any time, even in times of financial prosperity. Regular openings for new teams is healthy, regardless of the major sustainability problems that we have at the moment.

Fix the problem and F1 will be more attractive to new teams.

#16 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:18

Fix the problem and F1 will be more attractive to new teams.

I agree, but even with "the problem" it still seems that we're getting Haas. That's 2 extra cars, better than nothing. My point is that, it's better for there to be a difficult, seemingly impossible door into F1, than no door at all.

#17 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:34

I see your Stefan GP and MyF1Dream and raise you Don Pentecost and Force 1 USA:

http://web.archive.o...-racing-budget/

#18 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:37

I agree, but even with "the problem" it still seems that we're getting Haas. That's 2 extra cars, better than nothing. My point is that, it's better for there to be a difficult, seemingly impossible door into F1, than no door at all.

There has always been ways into F1 for those that really want to be there, but the FIA\FOM have, and still are, failing to fix the fundamental issues for teams in F1. Until they address that then they are just papering over the cracks.

#19 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 13:05

Clatter you just got a hat trick.

Advertisement

#20 Elba

Elba

• 318 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 13:16

Why so difficult with tenders et al. :S

LOL they can't win can they at FIA  :rolleyes:

If they don't tender the forum is filled with posters calling for the transparency of a tender or even those hollering for the EU to step in and now a tender is too "difficult"

#21 Elba

Elba

• 318 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 13:19

There has always been ways into F1 for those that really want to be there, but the FIA\FOM have, and still are, failing to fix the fundamental issues for teams in F1. Until they address that then they are just papering over the cracks.

If you mean with "fundamental issues" anything that has been laid down in the Concorde Agreement or FOM/FIA/teams deal then that will have to wait until 2020 

#22 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,813 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 13:30

There will be no new teams because of the costs. Perhaps a Honda-B-Team (ART?) as Super Aguri in 2006. Perhaps Forza Rossa. But I don't think either of them will happen.

#23 Nathan

Nathan

• 6,841 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 13:40

Teams are always going to be coming and going.  It isn't realistic to think you can have 12-14 teams all breaking even let alone making a profit.  There is no shortage of potential team owners. It seems FIA etc. don't want a repeat of the early 90's.  It is such a big step now to come in a new team and become competitive.

#24 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,725 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 13:59

Todt stated in an interview with New York times that he may open up the grid again for one or two more new teams. Apparently he is unhappy that two teams went under last year and see's that having more teams on the grid may reduce costs.

This news also comes after Ferrari stated yesterday that they want more teams on the grid.

I thought they were the ones pressing the hardest for 3-car teams. Maybe that was just last years idea and was thrown out with everything else.

#25 Ickx

Ickx

• 907 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 14:03

I don't understand the logic of FIA to "open tender" for new teams. If there is space on the grid anyone should be able to pay an entry fee and turn up in Australia with two cars. If they are not fast enough they will not qualify and if they don't qualify someone else could buy the spot for next year. 

With the cost of F1 being what it is I can't se a large competition. At least FIA would not look ridiculous for going through a long vetting process, presenting teams of the future only for the new teams not to show up anyway. 

#26 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 14:30

More teams may reduce costs?

Until costs are reduced, there won't be much in the way of interest from any new teams. Nobody is interested in p*ssing their money into the financial black hole that is F1, apart from the sort of people you really don't want taking part.

This isn't the 1980's.

#27 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 14:39

Why? To make up the numbers? Until F1 can attract big names with a proven track record of success in motorsport (Porsche, say), this would achieve very, very little. 

#28 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 14:39

I don't understand the logic of FIA to "open tender" for new teams. If there is space on the grid anyone should be able to pay an entry fee and turn up in Australia with two cars. If they are not fast enough they will not qualify and if they don't qualify someone else could buy the spot for next year. 

With the cost of F1 being what it is I can't se a large competition. At least FIA would not look ridiculous for going through a long vetting process, presenting teams of the future only for the new teams not to show up anyway. 

The previous system was a "entry fee" like you mentioned... a 50 million dollars one. If my memory doesn't fail that's what Toyota had to bring to enter the sport. I'd rather have it like this...

#29 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 14:41

Opening a tender is probably a good thing for the FIA to do, but it is effectively pointless while even the mid-ranking teams are circling the drain.

They obviously need to work on the the financial issues, but the FIA have allowed themselves to be forced into a situation where they can't act until Bernie and the top teams agree.

#30 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 14:45

Teams are always going to be coming and going.  It isn't realistic to think you can have 12-14 teams all breaking even let alone making a profit.  

I don't know about that. Prize money is $800 million, isn't it? Seems plenty to me before we even get to the millions swallowed up by the big black hole that is FOM.

#31 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,766 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 14:45

They must be queuing round the block to get in after the last three teams to get in spent all their time at the back of the grid before going bankrupt.

#32 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 14:59

F1 wouldn't have attracted the last set of new teams without the phoney £40 million cost cap promise, and one of them didn't even make it to Bahrain 2010. Any hypothetical new teams will have to also be suckered in, or actual measures will have to be put in place first.

#33 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 15:15

Pretty clear that Todt was only talking about lowering costs for Ferrari.

Ferrari want another backmarker team to sell their engines to so that they have more money to spend on their own car.

#34 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 15:21

Ok, so it's record counting in here too ?  :) 

( The first reply I did in here was no joke @ FullTrottleF1 )

It´s only a few days ago I read about what I posted (the FB link, 1 reply post). I have actually no idea about how things develop for Stefan GP and what the future in F1 will mean to them ? Maybe nothing at all ?

Edited by Lotusseven, 06 March 2015 - 15:22.

#35 kevinracefan

kevinracefan

• 2,729 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 16:15

This should be available any year that the grid doesn't have 24 cars (full grid) finishing the season.. you never know when a corporation's funds will be swelling and need of dumping...

Hello, Apple...

the year long arrangement needs to be shaped to allow one-offs, also, IMO... (even if they wouldn't receive yearly prize money)

no need having barriers of entry when there's a short field...

#36 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 16:20

This should be available any year that the grid doesn't have 24 cars (full grid) finishing the season.. you never know when a corporation's funds will be swelling and need of dumping...

Hello, Apple...

the year long arrangement needs to be shaped to allow one-offs, also, IMO... (even if they wouldn't receive yearly prize money)

no need having barriers of entry when there's a short field...

You'll find 26 cars is a full grid.

#37 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,143 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 16:24

I can't imagine this is going to create a long queue of potential entrants under the current regime/rules.

However, if you could buy a PU for a guaranteed x and a chassis package for a guaranteed y, I think that would be the game changer that would encourage many potential entrants to come forward.

#38 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 16:33

Hello, Apple...

As a reason to lose even more interest in F1, Apple becoming actively involved is right up there.

Please note, Apple-heads:

I don't like Apple, their business model, their marketing or their products. If you do, that's great but before you start bleating on, calling me a 'hater' and trying desperately to convert me, please try to remember differences of opinion are allowed and disliking Apple is not a crime recognised by any state.

Even the despotic ones.

Edited by superden, 06 March 2015 - 16:47.

#39 kevinracefan

kevinracefan

• 2,729 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 17:02

I only referred to Apple because they're sitting on mountains of cash..

Advertisement

#40 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 17:06

For some reason I though of this

#41 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,254 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 17:07

Ecclestone-Todt-GP-Ungarn-2013-articleTi

#42 tempname11

tempname11

• 153 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 17:09

As a reason to lose even more interest in F1, Apple becoming actively involved is right up there.

I don't like Apple, their business model, their marketing or their products. If you do, that's great but before you start bleating on, calling me a 'hater' and trying desperately to convert me, please try to remember differences of opinion are allowed and disliking Apple is not a crime recognised by any state.

Even the despotic ones.

Might I ask, without any pressure of 'conversion', but purely out of curiosity, why that is?

If it's too much off-topic, maybe a PM would be best  :)

#43 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,440 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 17:11

Revised the rules, let F1 be F1 again, and maybe then the tender should be open. 

#44 Rasputin

Rasputin

• 960 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 17:19

I think they should consider giving Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor another chance with USF1, remember they actually crash-tested a nose-cone and hired an Argentinian pay-driver?

#45 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 17:38

Yeah I'm probably a bit old-fashioned but I've always thought if you pay your entry fee, present legal cars to scrutineering and have suitably qualified super-licenced drivers to stick in them, you should be allowed to play, and of course if you're too slow you get sent home.

#46 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 19:09

That's not nearly complicated enough for F1!  They might turn up with unauthorised liveries, or drivers that had talent instead of money, and completely spoil the show.  Us 80 year old Rolex wearers don't like anything out of place or different, you know.

#47 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 19:48

Brabham F1, securing all their funding through crowd funding, just to really piss Bernie off. :up:

:p

#48 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 21:15

Even the despotic ones.

What is wrong with Apple's business model? They make electronics products and maximise their profits? How outlandish of them!

Anyway...I don't see anyone seriously considering entering the sport after all the negative PR over teams and funding last season and the complete lack of action from everyone involved in the sport.

Why would anyone enter the sport with the understanding that they'd get negative return on that investment and that the sport is now controlled and rigged by the big teams to keep it that way.

#49 RSRally

RSRally

• 1,975 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 21:21

There were two perfect opportunities for anyone wanting to come into F1 to purchase a working F1 car and facilities of two teams quite recently and Manor have only just made it. I want as many teams on the F1 grid as possible, but I don't see much point until they sort out the prize money and make the sport more attractive to potential sponsors.

#50 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 21:55

Sure BUT they gotta pay prize money to ALL the teams.  Not just the top ten.  Else it's just a fail.