OSn462vt.jpg

Afternoon Gents. For those who have asked - a bit about progress so far:

"THE GATHERING"

"SAND-CASTING"

"THEN AND NOW"

"STARTUP 1"

"STARTUP 2"

Also - for more recent progress - FB_Logo.png

Edited by Nev, 08 December 2015 - 17:07.

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 20:51

Very ambitious!

I hope the project continues to make good progress...

#3 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 801 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:46

Wow, I love this kind of thing. Incredible.

#4 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:28

Holly cats - What a fantastic recreation!  Love to watch artisans and passion at work.  Looks to be a great job so far and hope you have a blast with it on track.

#5 Nev

Nev

• 293 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 15:53

Am I getting excited or am I getting excited? ;-)

https://youtu.be/ikm...s67b-BV7rjLISRU

#6 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 15:04

Staggering!

Did I notice Tim Murray and Ralph Colmar at the engine start up ?

#7 Nev

Nev

• 293 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 15:18

Did I notice Tim Murray and Ralph Colmar at the engine start up ?

You did!

Watching Jaguar's Jim Eastick start my No.2 engine in the presence of Jonathan Heynes (son of Jaguar's late William Heynes), knowing that it was the same Jim who started the No.1 engine 50 years earlier in the presence of Jonathan's father, is something that sent shivers down my spine. To share that moment with a bunch of like-minded blokes made it a day which will forever stay with me. A garage full of fellow-enthusiasts, a dirty great engine bursting into life for the first time in 50 years, talk of cars & racing, reminisces by those who were there at Jaguar in the mid-1960s, analysis of oily bits - does life get any better? :-)

#8 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 15:41

Yes, Ralph and I were very privileged. Not only did we get to see (and hear!) the engine run, look at the car itself and meet some of the people involved with the original project, but Nev and his wife Lizzie wined and dined us, and then gave us each a bottle of locally-brewed ale to take away as a souvenir (I drank mine last Christmas – it was superb).

It was a great day. Thanks once again Neville and Lizzie.

#9 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 727 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:07

This whole sharing of your massive project has been fascinating, thanks Nev.

#10 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:33

It is the most quite amazing project Neville. Be fascinated to see it finished, the detail is extraordinary.Labour of love  - costs must be terrifying .

You may remember, probably 15-20 years ago now Jonathan Heynes had his own series of television programmes following his fortunes after he bought the Reliant Motor company and re started 3 wheeler production in Tamworth Staffs. Getting the workforce back trying to modernise production methods etc.

Far more interesting was his plan to manufacture an entirely new 2 seater open sportscar, small and ultra low weight and low price.

Sadly I do not think it got past the clay model stage when various forces ended with Reliants final closure.A great shame really because still to this day there is a gap in the market for just that kind of car. Forget all the 3 wheeler jokes  Reliant actually made some good cars in the Sabre, GTE and Scimitar.Were an all British sportscar maker giving jobs in the midlands and made vast numbers of cars at their peak.

He clearly has a story to tell, perhaps we could persuade him to give us a talk at the film show one day ?

Keep up the XJ13 reports.

#11 Nev

Nev

• 293 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:59

Yes - costs are a little eye-watering. However, in the words of the late Mr Magnussen, "I have started, so I'll finish".

I am ashamed to admit I didn't know of the Heynes/Reliant connection. At my engine startup event Jonathan showed himself to be an excellent raconteur so I am sure he not only has a fascinating story to tell but should tell it in an entertaining way. I will certainly pass on your comments. Which "film show" do you refer to please?

#12 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 15:01

3 times a year here in East Herts,  Neville . Email or pm me back with your email address and I will send you all the film show details - there is also a thread on here which has recorded  our events over the last 6 years. Be up your street I would think! Do please get Jonathan to contact me. I did have a little corresponance with him 25 years ago but have no contact details.Our next film/talk day is 17th October.

Here

http://forums.autosp.../page-1?hl= tnf +film +show +herts 

Edited by RTH, 02 September 2015 - 15:09.