Photo

Roger Williamson's March 721

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 foxyracer

foxyracer

• 161 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:48

I greatly enjoyed reading the article in the April 2015 edition of Motor Sport regarding Kevin Wheatcroft and progress at Donington.  I was particularly intrigued by the remark that Kevin has acquired the March 721 that Roger raced in the British Grand Prix in 1973.  As far as I am aware, the car was damaged in the Jody Scheckter accident at the end of the first lap and was repaired in time for the next race at Zandvoort.  We all know of the dreadful events that took place there and I wouldn't imagine there was much left of the car to salvage even if anyone wanted to. Motor Sport reports at the time stated that Roger used 721G/4 for the British Grand Prix and the same (repaired) chassis in the Dutch race.  Does anyone have any idea what Kevin/Donington might have acquired?  Motor Sport reports are usually commendably accurate but this does seem to be a bit of anomaly.

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:27

Have a look at this earlier thread:

http://forums.autosp...15-march-721g4/

The consensus therein is that the car was rebuilt around a different tub following the Silverstone crash, but retained the same chassis identity. This was then destroyed at Zandvoort. The car existing today was probably built around the repaired tub from Silverstone.

Edited by Tim Murray, 12 March 2015 - 10:51.

#3 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:45

What Tim said.

#4 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 15:44

I'm sticking to my remarks in the earlier thread, that is not the Williamson car/tub, but it may well be the chassis plate...................

#5 foxyracer

foxyracer

• 161 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 17:38

All makes sense (I think!).  Thanks guys.