Photo

Philip Young

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 backfire

backfire

• 118 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:59

Just heard the sad news that Philip Young, historic endurance rally pioneer has died from injuries sustained from a motorcycle accident in Burma. An amazing eccentric character - a great loss. I'll certainly never forget working with him - he could be infuriating but I wouldn't have had him any other way. RIP

Advertisement

#2 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 894 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:15

Terrible news, I can't get my head around this. I 1st heard of him in the early 80s when he was the editor of Sporting Classics or similar, and he did features on the Reliant Works Rally Team and a couple of months later, on the "Kamikaze Rally Pilots", a reference to Dad & Bobby Parkes's roll off the Turini on the 64 Monte.  Later that decade he started the Pirelli Classic Marathons, and was delighted when Dad competed on 3 of them.  Our paths crossed again in the early noughties, on the 2001 & 2002 Marathons, plus marshalling on the 2004 Lombard Revival and, more recently, on every Flying Scotsman to date.

I last saw Philip at the Croft Service Area on last year's Roger Albert Clark, which he competed on in a TR7.

RIP Philip. No doubt you will  be instigating classic rallying in the heavens...

Edited by Dick Dastardly, 12 March 2015 - 12:16.

#3 richardspringett

richardspringett

• 211 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 13:16

Oh dear, that is sad news indeed. I competed in the first - and subsequently the second and fifth - Pirelli marathon; he was so happy to have an entry from Japan. 

I believe this was the start of classic car rallying, truly a pioneer.

My condolences to family and friends.

Richard

#4 Supersox

Supersox

• 105 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 18:52

I did the first three classic Marathons, was his elegibilty scrute on Woirld Cup Rally to Athens, worked with him on all sorts of stuff.

This man invented a sport-historic rallying.

I cannot believe this terrible news.

No doubt you and Martin Jubb are sorting it oiut somewhere.

Farewell Philip for sure there is no one on earth to fill your shoes.

#5 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 19:46

Having been a regular in Philips events for past few years I found him a larger than life character.

He will be sorly missed in the Historic Rally world where he had those original ideas that others had missed.

The P to P and Flying Scotsman have been great examples of his leadership .The FS and Alpine will be very different events without his presence.

Worlds lost one of the good guys,unusual yes,but a great character.

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 17:15

Just back from the US where I was told, rather abruptly, of Philip's fate. Very sad to hear this. He and I were from different worlds, or maybe planets, but we did work together for a brief period, he bought the text of an otherwise abandoned famous rally cars book project from me, and I always admired his enterprise and 'can-do' approach. Sincere condolences to his family and many friends...

DCN

#7 Fred Gallagher

Fred Gallagher

• 310 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 13:32

The ERA Extends Thanks for Philip Young Tributes

The Endurance Rally Association would like to express it’s sincere thanks to all those who have shared their sadness regarding the death of its founder and Rally Director Philip Young.

ERA Vice-President and World Rally Championship Clerk of the Course Fred Gallagher said: “The ERA office has been inundated with rally competitors, associates and friends sharing their grief and lasting memories of Philip, and we thank everyone for their condolences which have been forwarded to Philip’s family. Philip’s passion for historic motorsport extends throughout the team and the organisation will continue to create the best rallies in his memory, a fitting legacy to an inspirational man. Such was Philip’s foresight and drive, our current programme of events takes us through to 2018.”

ERA President, competitor and a close friend of Philip, Lord David Steel expressed his sadness of the news, saying: “Philip’s sudden death is a terrible shock. He was such a creative and familiar face in the world of classic cars, writing columns, serving on committees, and of course with the record Cape Town to London drive in his recent history. I first knew him as the young and imaginative editor of ‘Liberal News’, then the party’s weekly newspaper. He got me involved in classic rallying when he started the revived Monte Carlo annual rallies in the early nineties, and I think I did five under his guidance. He persuaded me to become President of the ERA and as such I helped him with diplomatic contacts to set up the Peking to Paris and other events. I shall miss his regular visits for chats in my office dreadfully.”

The next ERA event will be the Flying Scotsman Rally in April, now in its seventh year, with 110 pre-war cars taking on the 750-mile route from Leeds to Scotland’s Gleneagles Hotel.