Photo
- - - - -

will the media pretend saubergate doesnt exist?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,554 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 18:04

so no camera footage of cops seizing assets etc?

Advertisement

#2 pdac

pdac

• 17,122 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 18:10

so no camera footage of cops seizing assets etc?

The media will most certainly want to cover the story. However, they will be waiting to hear what Bernie says they should do before acting. They're not going to show anything that might upset or offened the big cheese.

#3 043Max

043Max

• 390 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 18:28

oh hell, I know media what is simply waiting for this to happen tonight! (I will name no names, but they where happy for this before monday already) and they'll be there, I can tell you!

#4 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 18:29

Of course they won't.

#5 scumbarma

scumbarma

• 36 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 19:54

I dont think any media people tied to a big network or paper, would want to "risk" there pit pass on this story at the moment.

#6 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,085 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 20:25

The story will be THE story all weekend, in print, on the radio, on TV, and for those not capable of buying a Rolex all over the internet.

:cool:

#7 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 20:37

They've covered it pretty extensive so far so I don't see why it shouldn't continue to be covered throughout the weekend as long as this saga continues. 

#8 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 20:57

We never hear much about Sauber at the best of times, so I guess once the track action starts, it won't get mentioned as much.

To be honest, I'm pretty fed-up of hearing about it. It is the sort of stupidity that is defining Formula One at the moment.

#9 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 21:18

Of course they will. But it will have a negative spin towards VDG./ Pay drivers in general they wont touch the fact that he can bring sauber to its knees in the sense that they could go under from a legal point    

Edited by LORDBYRON, 12 March 2015 - 21:18.

#10 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 21:19

It's THE story, but Autosport,com are trying hard to bury it down their headline list.

#11 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,085 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 21:26

It's THE story, but Autosport,com are trying hard to bury it down their headline list.

And not really adding anything but what they posted some 12 hours ago. Except a few driver interviews, one could hope this was due some of the more sage voices of Autosport (he is looking at YOU Dieter) being busy typing a long article filled with facts and knowledge which could in one way or another casts light over what the heck Sauber are trying to do.

#12 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 21:39

And not really adding anything but what they posted some 12 hours ago. Except a few driver interviews, one could hope this was due some of the more sage voices of Autosport (he is looking at YOU Dieter) being busy typing a long article filled with facts and knowledge which could in one way or another casts light over what the heck Sauber are trying to do.

I agree that it's bigger news than "Rosberg: I'm not over the hill" and "Williams against proposal to make both its wind tunnels redundant".

However, as someone mentioned above, Kaltenborn's turned off her phone. Maybe this is what happens when no one speaks to journos?

Edited by Risil, 12 March 2015 - 21:41.

#13 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 22:05

Compared to what's going on in Melbourne, there are lots more big stories happening.

#14 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,756 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 22:21

Compared to what's going on in Melbourne, there are lots more big stories happening.

Well, right now, Charles Pic's and Vitantonio Liuzzi's Formula E ride, Williams' comments on a rule change that has not even been promulgated, Nico Rosberg's age, and a bloke swimming in Mexico last week are ranked as far more important than the future of Sauber on the Autosport front page.

#15 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 22:35

Do not despair.

Not every journalist, paper or broadcaster likes to report difficult legal procedures, but the image of cops in action is easy to understand and will always be popular.

#16 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 22:38

The Van der Garde thread has been mad busy lately. It's pretty uncanny the way it's not being mirrored by any wider interest in the media. For once I think we're right and they're wrong.

#17 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 22:52

The official F1 website is at least mentioning it, even though it doesnt rank anywhere near a top story and is only worth a short (6 sentence article).

Its more than the F1 related websites like autosport ever gave Mosley's spankgate, which didnt get any mention at all for weeks, despite being an international headline maker.

#18 micktosin

micktosin

• 1,027 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 22:52

Judging by Autosport's decision to blank the story, they most certainly will so as not to offend bernie. 

#19 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 22:53

Its really fishy, Autosport have given this whole thing minimal coverage. Enough so that people dont supect anything. For damn shame

Advertisement

#20 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 23:12

Judging by Autosport's decision to blank the story, they most certainly will so as not to offend bernie. 

This is a disgrace.

"Sauber ordered by court to race van Der Garde" - #1 headline

Not so hard it is?  :wave:

#21 Nathan

Nathan

• 6,922 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 23:14

Once they figure out how to pin it on Bernie.

#22 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 23:16

Its more than the F1 related websites like autosport ever gave Mosley's spankgate, which didnt get any mention at all for weeks, despite being an international headline maker.

You say it like it's a bad thing.

#23 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,301 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 23:18

Being a journalist is being a censor first.  

#24 micktosin

micktosin

• 1,027 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 23:20

This is a disgrace.

"Sauber ordered by court to race van Der Garde" - #1 headline

Not so hard it is?  :wave:

I am not sure whether you are being sarcastic, but the decision is hardly a disgrace just a bit strange that's all.  

#25 Nathan

Nathan

• 6,922 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 23:36

Being a journalist is being a censor first.

At the very least it is orchestrating their own agendas.

#26 AlexisBT

AlexisBT

• 63 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 23:53

wow I didn't even realise that autosport didn't gave this story any kind of coverage. What a shame.

#27 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 00:09

I don't think that it's a question of merely wanting to avoid covering the story to avoid rocking the F1 boat; it's more a question of avoiding publishing anything libellous whilst court proceedings are ongoing or publishing a half-baked story as the situation is still developing.

#28 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 00:11

wow I didn't even realise that autosport didn't gave this story any kind of coverage. What a shame.

There are four stories in the last week - there could be more, but expect more to come once Sauber's participation (or lack of) in FP1 is determined, and the latest round of court proceedings are concluded.  I would expect to see a Dieter Rencken feature on this story once it is (at least partially) resolved as well!

#29 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,085 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 00:12

I don't think that it's a question of merely wanting to avoid covering the story to avoid rocking the F1 boat; it's more a question of avoiding publishing anything libellous whilst court proceedings are ongoing or publishing a half-baked story as the situation is still developing.

Crazy idea here... report the facts?

#30 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,327 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 00:13

The media may be instructed not to show the seizing of assets but there's nothing stopping someone with a smartphone filming it and publishing it to millions on twitter/instagram/facebook/youtube etc

#31 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 00:15

The media may be instructed not to show the seizing of assets but there's nothing stopping someone with a smartphone filming it and publishing it to millions on twitter/instagram/facebook/youtube etc

And judging from the proliferation of photos showing Van der Garde going into the Sauber garage and putting on the Sauber overalls, I predict that this is exactly what will happen should the team's assets indeed be seized.

#32 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 00:15

Crazy idea here... report the facts?

At the moment, I don't think anyone knows what is happening.

#33 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,085 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 00:54

At the moment, I don't think anyone knows what is happening.

Court ruled arbitration result was binding

Court denied team to make appeal

Court directed team not to in any way  block or impede van der Garde getting in race, in one of their cars.

Sauber advised CRB on March 3rd (or what ever date it was) they had terminated van der Gardes contract for cause.

Sauber had as of yesterdays court appearance done nothing to keep van der Gardes Super License current, despite having an arbitration ruling declaring him as their driver in December.

These are facts.

I could suggest a journalistic look into the whys and hows of these facts, I could suggest a journalistic look into the real amounts the team would get from each of the 3 drivers, these numbers would be of interest since the reported number for van der Garde is Usd 25 million, and the sofar only number I have seen on Nasr is Usd 12 million. I could suggest a journalistic look into the alleged dislike of van der Garde by the team members.

So without theorizing a lot of facts they could report, they could be at the court hearing, they could add some legal parts to what can happen, what can not happen, how likely, how unlikely the arrest of any Sauber team members really are, would an impound be possible based on the court rulings so far.

Basically anything but dead silence. F1 is not headline news, but THIS is in the top 10 twitter trends globally today. Silence is NOT golden.

So follow up on facts

#34 Knot

Knot

• 666 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:33

What a colossal fup om Sauber's part.

How does MK still have a job? All this is especially laughable because she's a freeking lawyer, for eff sakes.

#35 secessionman

secessionman

• 347 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:39

Autosport did put this article up yesterday http://www.autosport...t.php/id/118010 although I wouldn't recommend using it towards your allowance.

It's lazy and brief and KWSN-DSM provides much more info in his brief post above.

#36 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,554 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:52

as predicted no coverage from sky.

I wouldnt bet on smartphone videos, as those guys got lazy and only took photos.

#37 MrEfz

MrEfz

• 57 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:58

Think they just got let of their leash :clap:

Edit,that didnt last long :)

Edited by MrEfz, 13 March 2015 - 01:59.

#38 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:23

Court ruled arbitration result was binding
Court denied team to make appeal
Court directed team not to in any way block or impede van der Garde getting in race, in one of their cars.
Sauber advised CRB on March 3rd (or what ever date it was) they had terminated van der Gardes contract for cause.
Sauber had as of yesterdays court appearance done nothing to keep van der Gardes Super License current, despite having an arbitration ruling declaring him as their driver in December.

These are facts.

I could suggest a journalistic look into the whys and hows of these facts, I could suggest a journalistic look into the real amounts the team would get from each of the 3 drivers, these numbers would be of interest since the reported number for van der Garde is Usd 25 million, and the sofar only number I have seen on Nasr is Usd 12 million. I could suggest a journalistic look into the alleged dislike of van der Garde by the team members.

So without theorizing a lot of facts they could report, they could be at the court hearing, they could add some legal parts to what can happen, what can not happen, how likely, how unlikely the arrest of any Sauber team members really are, would an impound be possible based on the court rulings so far.

Basically anything but dead silence. F1 is not headline news, but THIS is in the top 10 twitter trends globally today. Silence is NOT golden.

So follow up on facts

What you asked for first has largely been reported. What you mention second can't just be cooked up overnight, especially as the situation has been rapidly changing.

There is not really silence over the matter, just a hesitation to write too much while the issue is ongoing and there is a lack of printable facts, compared to unverified gossip.

#39 Knot

Knot

• 666 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:27

What you asked for first has largely been reported. What you mention second can't just be cooked up overnight, especially as the situation has been rapidly changing.

There is not really silence over the matter, just a hesitation to write too much while the issue is ongoing and there is a lack of printable facts, compared to unverified gossip.

^ what he said, and a bag of crisps.

What's funny is MK trying to pretend court orders don't apply to her. I'm going to LMAO if she continues with the Head In Sand approach until some fellows seize all of Sauber's gear.

Advertisement

#40 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:27

"Saubergate" just doesn't have the ring of "van der gate" if you ask me.

#41 jr80

jr80

• 137 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:34

Just woke up in the UK and expected to find at least a brief news article on the front page.nothing apart from a one line reference in the practice report.**** haymarket that's not what I pay my sub for.

#42 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:49

At the circuit, I feel cut off from the world of reality.

During FP1, local commentators completely refused to mention anything to do with the Sauber legal case, even on the occasions when the TV images showed the Sauber garages or drivers. Had to get back to the internet to find out the news.

Lotsa self censorship going on.

Edited by alfa1, 13 March 2015 - 03:49.

#43 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:14

Well, watching NBC Sports coverage of practice here in the US, which is our carrier, they covered it pretty well. Engines fired, tires on, drivers strapped in, Kaltenborn walked in the garage and shut them down, so she wouldn't be in more contempt than she already is. It was also mentioned that she is required by the court to provide a full accounting of the inventory on hand in Australia. I'd say they are up sh!t creek without a paddle. 

My feelings are that it's a shame that the team and all 3 drivers are put in this position by a monumental mistake by team management, by Saubers continued flaunting of the law, or ignorance thereof it will put them out of business. They need to financially settle with the driver(s) by buying out one of their contracts or they won't (shouldn't) be racing at all. By dragging this out until the first race of the year, Sauber's principals should be cleaning house of the people who put the team in this position, and in addition, suing them for malfeasance.   

Edited by whitewaterMkII, 13 March 2015 - 05:30.

#44 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:15

Some excellent coverage by Ten Australia  :up:  :up:

#45 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:05

I've missed this story - is it all about VDG or is there more to it than that?

#46 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:46

Damned if you do, damned if you don't give Giedo the seaet.

#47 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 13:39

On the BBC front page (in the world's top 100 most visited websites, in the UK's top 10): Sauber principal could face prison

Well, there goes containment.

#48 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 13:46

Well, watching NBC Sports coverage of practice here in the US, which is our carrier, they covered it pretty well. Engines fired, tires on, drivers strapped in, Kaltenborn walked in the garage and shut them down, so she wouldn't be in more contempt than she already is. It was also mentioned that she is required by the court to provide a full accounting of the inventory on hand in Australia. I'd say they are up sh!t creek without a paddle. 

My feelings are that it's a shame that the team and all 3 drivers are put in this position by a monumental mistake by team management, by Saubers continued flaunting of the law, or ignorance thereof it will put them out of business. They need to financially settle with the driver(s) by buying out one of their contracts or they won't (shouldn't) be racing at all. By dragging this out until the first race of the year, Sauber's principals should be cleaning house of the people who put the team in this position, and in addition, suing them for malfeasance.   

Sadly, despite Sauber being one of my long-time favourite teams and far-and-away favourite underdog, I agree.

Neil

#49 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 13:50

The story is out, no doubt about that.

What bugs me is that it has been treated as an isolated blunder by Monisha and Sauber when it should be put in broad contextualization with F1's near schizophrenic business model.

#50 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 14:01

I wish they would. This situation is dominating coverage and I'm bored senseless by it (and I even have a law degree). It's just one seat in what is now a backmarker team. If Sauber are tossed out of the sport because of it or Monisha actually imprisoned then maybe all the attention will be merited.