Photo
- - - - -

Interesting footwork by Lewis Hamilton - explanation?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jelinski619

Jelinski619

• 545 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 22:00

Relevant video:

The interesting points are both the stabbing of the throttle on corner exit and the ~20% throttle whilst under heavy braking.

Being a practice session, my thoughts are maybe that the throttle stabbing is a way of setting a representative hotlap whilst not topping the timesheets and giving anything away to rivals. Stamping the throttle like that is probably the least intrusive way of dropping time without actually driving any differently.

As for staying on the throttle during braking - no idea. Spooling up the turbo?

Edited by Jelinski619, 13 March 2015 - 22:00.

Advertisement

#2 carlt

carlt

• 4,169 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 22:43

I can't see his feet in that video

#3 Jelinski619

Jelinski619

• 545 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 22:43

I can't see his feet in that video

You can see the pedal input graphic though.

#4 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,364 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:01

Is this in melbourne? If so he's probably got a huntsman in the cockpit and he;s trying to squash it.

#5 RogerGraham

RogerGraham

• 183 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:45

Does the graphic represent pedal use, or ECU-controlled throttle opening, or...?

#6 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:56

Don't assume the graphic is accurate/synced.

#7 carlt

carlt

• 4,169 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:12

You can see the pedal input graphic though.

are you sure , I see a playstation graph , representing which sensors ? attached to what part ?

#8 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 13:51

As an example, here is Verstappen from Australia.

Watch braking for, and the run through turn 1. Other than the blips for the downshifts, the throttle never seems to leave 100%. He's quick, but not that quick...

#9 Kelpiecross

Kelpiecross

• 1,730 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:41

Here is some very odd accelerator footwork from an F1 driver - I have no idea why he was doing this. Plus a clumsy missed gear change.

http://en.espnf1.com...ory/188781.html

#10 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 13:01

Oh we had an (in)famous thread about that.

#11 pRy

pRy

• 26,320 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 15:27

Yes I was going to predictably question if it was perhaps a similar technique of that his hero used but I'd probably be chased out of the sub forum.

I suppose you'd need to compare it to Nico's driving to establish if it's unique to Lewis or just something the Mercedes drivers do. The lap itself doesn't seem to be a very hot lap.. seems to be cruising in most of the corners. 

#12 carlt

carlt

• 4,169 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 22:26

Notice that the OP video has been withdrawn due to financial reasons

Formula 1 Management is so hard up for cash they don't allow free usage of their film footage for use on a forum dedicated to the sport that is making them filthy rich

Unbridled Capitalism, isn't it lovely

#13 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,523 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 00:14

Might it make sense to keep the revs up at times simply to improve throttle response, and does the braking graph account for regen or is it simply a line pressure reading or something else?  With significant regen under braking, the line pressure trace would probably not tell one much about about actual braking torques.  In the same way on a hybrid, a simple TPS trace would give only a part of the picture. We don't know what at all these graphics are (not) showing.

#14 Kelpiecross

Kelpiecross

• 1,730 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:42

I got the impression that the throttle trace was flickering as if it had an electronic fault rather than reflecting what the driver was actually doing. I don't think the driver could move his foot as quickly as that shown by the trace in the video.

#15 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,064 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:05

Reputedly they nearly have to drive the things on the throttle, and hope the electric motor will not run them off the track. As they are not always in synch, that and a turbo engine. As Daniel found out in qualfying in Melbourne. Others too. Probably why they are falling off in turn 1,, that and the battery charging brakes too!

I have seen other graphs too that dont quite make sense. A bit like the hybrid/ turbo engines that cost zillions all in the name of making the sport cheaper!!