- - - - -

Felipe Nasr vs. Marcus Ericsson 2015

• Please log in to reply
393 replies to this topic

#1 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:46

The thread title is subject to change obviously. Nasr had a remarkable debut, I have to say I wasn't expecting that. Both he and Ericsson managed to demonstrate some decent racecraft as well. With a proper engine, this team-mate battle whoever it will be between for most of the season, might just be more interesting than anticipated.

Advertisement

#2 krobinson

krobinson

• 610 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:48

I remember some not very complimentary posts about Nasr, but today he was very impressive. Great debut :up:

#3 SheIsDisaster

SheIsDisaster

• 263 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:54

Felipe Nasr and Monisha Kaltenborn post race interview

#4 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,420 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:08

Whitewash forecast in Nasr's favour for me. Giedo to step in and take Ericsson out of his misery potentially.

#5 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,072 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:15

Very happy today with Nasr's performance, I've been a huge fan of him since his F3 days.

#6 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:16

Ericsson has been even surprisingly dreadful so far, I must say.

#7 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:17

Nice debut by Nasr. He already made me raise an eyebrow yesterday in qualifying, even if he didn't make top 10. Now let's see how he develops. His first race is promising.

#8 PATISIQ

PATISIQ

• 51 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:08

I guess was ericsson last race this year.

#9 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:22

Ericsson has been even surprisingly dreadful so far, I must say.

The team screwed his strategy by bringing him in on the first lap and putting him on a 3 stopper, and he only got 14 laps of practice.. Get real  :rolleyes:

#10 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,971 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:02

Would the race be that much different for EEricsson if he had stayed out during the safety car? At one point he was slower with fresh soft than Nasr on somewhat worn medium.

#11 mdaclarke

mdaclarke

• 279 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:04

Nasr was so much better than Ericsson.  If they have to get rid of them to make way for VDG then I can't see Sauber wanting to get rid of Nasr.  

#12 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:06

The team screwed his strategy by bringing him in on the first lap and putting him on a 3 stopper, and he only got 14 laps of practice.. Get real  :rolleyes:

This race was a one off but with 11 finishers and Hulkenberg in the Force India ahead I don't think a 8th place is much to boost about. 

But more than this race Nasr has so far had the upperhand in the tea all through pre season testing and all sessions the first GP-weekend. Still a lot to prove. 

#13 FredrikB

FredrikB

• 1,173 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:07

Get real yourself, this is the Autosport Forums ffs  ;) 

Fastest lap times

http://www.fia.com/s...estLaps_V01.pdf

Ericssons was 1,1 second faster than Nasr. Nasr sucks. Lets hop VdG replaces him immediately!

#14 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,216 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:07

Yeah, they will surely fire Ericsson when he took home points for the team...

#15 Timantti

Timantti

• 971 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:09

I must say I'm thoroughly surprised how **** Ericsson is. I know his GP2 record is poor, but before that he was actually hailed as a serious talent. Being outqualified last year by Lotterer in Spa is pretty unforgivable no matter what conditions.

So before I judge Nasr I need to see him with a proper teammate. Let's not forget that Perez was mighty impressive in his Sauber debut as well.

Edited by Timantti, 15 March 2015 - 10:10.

#16 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:19

I am prepared to agree that Nasr perhaps is a better driver. But I think some people slam Ericsson to easy.

Give it a few races and see how they stand, Melbourne was a odd weekend in every possible way.

#17 NickeF1

NickeF1

• 1,095 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:14

I must say I'm thoroughly surprised how **** Ericsson is. I know his GP2 record is poor, but before that he was actually hailed as a serious talent. Being outqualified last year by Lotterer in Spa is pretty unforgivable no matter what conditions.

So before I judge Nasr I need to see him with a proper teammate. Let's not forget that Perez was mighty impressive in his Sauber debut as well.

Ericssons weekend was seriously compromised with missing FP1 och technical difficulties in FP2, total of 11 laps before the Q so lets wait a little longer before we call someone ****. Last year, he had the upperhand of Kobayashi in the last part of the season before the team folded. And as you said, he won FBMW UK in his first season, then he won Japanese F3 in his rookie season, so his credentials aren't that of a **** driver. 

But I'm swedish so I must be biased. 

However, I think Nasr is the stronger driver of the two but the difference isn't as much as we saw in qualifying.

Edited by NickeF1, 15 March 2015 - 11:14.

#18 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:25

Ericssons weekend was seriously compromised with missing FP1 och technical difficulties in FP2, total of 11 laps before the Q so lets wait a little longer before we call someone ****. Last year, he had the upperhand of Kobayashi in the last part of the season before the team folded. And as you said, he won FBMW UK in his first season, then he won Japanese F3 in his rookie season, so his credentials aren't that of a **** driver. 

But I'm swedish so I must be biased. 

However, I think Nasr is the stronger driver of the two but the difference isn't as much as we saw in qualifying.

He's not a **** driver. But four seasons in GP2 and one season in F1 hasn't revealed an extraordinary driver. On contrary he seems a bit averagev in F1 terms which is in contrast to his FBMW and F3 days. 

I actually never felt he had any upperhand on Kobayashi, not even in the second part of the season because I think Kobayashi had circumstances far far worse than any circumstances than affected Marcus weekend this weekend. And then we have that Spa performance .... 

I'm just not sure. On his day and all that. It's just that those days are few and far between it seems. His GP2-campaign was nothing but a huge disapointment. 

#19 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,072 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:29

Fastest lap times

Ericssons was 1,1 second faster than Nasr. Nasr sucks. Lets hop VdG replaces him immediately!

Don't be ridiculous, Ericsson was on soft tyres and low weight at the end of the race, Nasr on worn mediums.

Advertisement

#20 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,229 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:46

The Swedish newspapers are calling Ericssons drive fantastic. Even so called experts.

I mean it's good for motorsport in Sweden if a Swedish driver scores points in F1 but a bit of perspective is needed. 

But hell no, he's hailed as the new Messiah 

#21 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:49

it was nice to see Ericsson score points :) but to be honest, his pace this weekend has been nowhere when compared to Nasr, this was also already apparent during the testing...and Nasr is a rookie, who I think was impressive.

#22 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:14

Fastest lap times

I was about to post this, than I saw you already done it.  :up:

#23 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:19

The Swedish newspapers are calling Ericssons drive fantastic. Even so called experts.

I mean it's good for motorsport in Sweden if a Swedish driver scores points in F1 but a bit of perspective is needed. 

Reality will show its head again for them. Still early days but Nasr seems to have an upper hand so fart, and if anything I would have predicted it would be advantage Ericsson at the early part of the season. 

We'll see if Ericsson can score points when there are 18 cars in the race, with a faster McLaren-team, a revised Lotus team and Force India has finished their pre season testing. The fact that Hulkenberg finished ahead of Ericsson today is a worrying sign I would say for any hopeful of more Swedish points. 

#24 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:20

Don't be ridiculous, Ericsson was on soft tyres and low weight at the end of the race, Nasr on worn mediums.

Oh dear...here you have something more ridiculous to be pissed off about. joy-killer.

#25 FredrikB

FredrikB

• 1,173 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:52

I think you need to adjust your sarcasm detector. 

#26 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:57

Cut them some slack.

#27 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,966 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 15:53

Was a good race by both Sauber drivers; Ericsson started too far back after lots of problems in practice screwed his qualifying. So what ?

All you instant experts, prosecutors, judges and executioners are pathetic. Lets hope that you never get to assess people in real life.

Am looking forward to a great season for Sauber. Now, go off and tear somebody else apart.

#28 ANF

ANF

• 29,365 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 16:32

Nasr had a flawless race and looked comfortable in practice. I guess it's too early too tell after one race, but I wouldn't be suprised if Nasr has the upper hand. Besides, I used to like his racecraft in GP2, so it would be nice to see him perform well in F1.

#29 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 16:43

Even if Ericsson does not score again this season he'll probably still have 4 more points than Mclaren and Manor ;)

#30 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 16:49

This forum works in funny ways, seems not long ago Nasr was getting slated as a no talent pay driver by most on this forum. He has one strong race and now these same people are jumping up and down with praise. I seen his talent way back at the 12' 24 Hours of Daytona, and back then up until now people thought I was crazy for thinking hes a quick driver..  :stoned:

Edited by MikeV1987, 15 March 2015 - 16:51.

#31 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 16:49

Ericsson was terrible last season already, and regardless of how little running he had, don't forget this track was completely new to Nasr yet he was so, so much further ahead in both the race and qualifying. I don't think it's harsh or unfair to criticise Ericsson's performance this weekend, he's not a rookie and this is Formula 1.

Sad thing is we know he's not talentless as he used to be one of the best drivers around back in his F3 days, but with every passing F1 race he looks more and more like a Lavaggi or Deletraz type character, which is just bizarre.

Edited by noikeee, 15 March 2015 - 16:50.

#32 Collective

Collective

• 1,524 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 16:55

I was expecting demolition by Nasr and is exactly what I got, and will realistically continue to get. He is simply a better driver.

#33 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 17:10

nasr-5.jpg

#34 PATISIQ

PATISIQ

• 51 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 17:30

I bet is was Ericsson last gp, will be replaced next race by GvdG.

#35 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 17:58

Well, the fact that Ericsson's fastest lap in the race was almost the same as his qualy time, I'd say that he did a horrible qualifying (Hamiltons fastest was almost 4 seconds slower than Q). There can be many reasons for that, only one of them is that he sucks. If we look at the race, he was given a brain dead strategy and brain dead instructions for how to make that strategy work. Any 8 year old can calculate that if you give away 2 seconds per lap for 30 laps in order to save you from a 30-40 second pit stop you will give away more than you gain. They did that and in the end they had to stop anyway. I do not think we can blame Ericsson for that. After been "let lose" he produced some very good lap times, made good passes. I will give him the benefit of the doubt so far and wait at least 3-4 races before I pass judgement.

Edited by ardbeg, 15 March 2015 - 17:59.

#36 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 18:30

smart racing from both drivers I'd say, and after this week that really was something

#37 SouthF1

SouthF1

• 297 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 19:49

Did people in here actually watch the race?

They pitted Ericsson on lap 1 with softs as they tried to only make 1 more stop after that.

Ericsson had to manage the tires for around 26? laps before fitting another set of softs that he would go all the way to the end with, around 30 laps.

The team never had time for long runs in the practice sessions due to the broken wishbone in FP2 and the FP1 no show but this strategy was bound to fail anyway.

He only got to push after the 3rd stop with 15 laps to go. A pitstop that should have happened way sooner.

But yes, Nasr did an excellent job, even tho he was 57 seconds behind Massa in 4th.

Good start for Sauber with 14 points after this dreadful weekend.

Edited by SouthF1, 15 March 2015 - 19:50.

#38 ninetyzero

ninetyzero

• 706 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 19:58

Even if Ericsson does not score again this season he'll probably still have 4 more points than Mclaren and Manor ;)

Nice trolling...

#39 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 00:30

Far out the ericsson hate is getting ridiculous on here.

He was quite good i thought.

Nasr too obviously.

Advertisement

#40 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 00:49

No horse in this race but from a my lay person point of view Ericcson is just losing waay too much time being sloppy in the corners vs Nasr. I dont know whether its set up related or just flat out bad driving but its a very very visible difference from mid corner to corner exit.. Too much time burning rubber instead of cleanly working the corners.

#41 evo

evo

• 431 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:37

one race does not make a championship, nor any sort of driver comparison.

given the situation that arose this weekend past, it was a good effort from both drivers.

what is worrying is that the Redbull could not match a Sauber.

#42 Kyo

Kyo

• 1,313 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:19

Nasr had an incredible first race. Anyone would laugh at the possibility of he finishing only behind Mercedes, Williams and Ferrari. He not only did it but he did it on merit. :up:

This was only the first race and even tought Ericsson had a poor performance he managed a good result. He is not the first and will not be the last driver to have a bad week, so I do not get all the hate for now.

I do expect Nasr to be ahead especially after this race but I believe this big difference was more a combination of an incredible week by Nasr and an awful week by Ericsson than the case of both having their average weekend. Time will tell.

#43 henke1972

henke1972

• 114 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:14

Great race for Sauber! I think we can expect some great battles between the drivers during the season.  :up:

Ericsson had some problems with the car; the broken wishbone and the brakes that caused him some time in practice/quali. All cars are individual, and he is driving the -002-chassis, while they used -001 in testing. 

Though, both drivers, and especially Nasr, showed some good pace during the weekend, and i believe we can have a fun season ahead of us.  :clap:

#44 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:18

one race does not make a championship, nor any sort of driver comparison.

given the situation that arose this weekend past, it was a good effort from both drivers.

what is worrying is that the Redbull could not match a Sauber.

Worrying for you maybe.  ;)

#45 BrunoCarneiro

BrunoCarneiro

• 91 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 18:47

I think I heard on the SkyF1 broadcast that it was the best debut ever for a Sauber driver, beating Kimi Raikkonen (6th on debut). :cool:

If I'm not mistaken, McLaren did invite Nasr to get to know him a few years ago. They were interested in him after he beat KMag on a straight fight back in F3. Maybe they will give Nasr a shot, as they gave Perez one? :p

There will be plenty of good seats opening up soon, I guess. I can't see Raikkonen going on forever on Ferrari, maybe Massa will retire as well. We'll see =)

Edited by BrunoCarneiro, 16 March 2015 - 18:48.

#46 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,971 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 19:44

I think I heard on the SkyF1 broadcast that it was the best debut ever for a Sauber driver, beating Kimi Raikkonen (6th on debut). :cool:

Best "first F1 race, and that also happens to be in a Sauber"? If so, yes!
Best "First F1 race, for Sauber" - No.

Best debut for a Brazilian F1 driver ever. Yes! :)

#47 spaceace1977

spaceace1977

• 282 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 19:59

It was a really a poor performance by Ericsson even when you come to think of it that Nasr is a rookie.

According to data Nasr was 39(!) out of 57 laps faster than Ericsson. 

Even on soft compound Ericsson was about 0.5-1 sec per lap slower than Nasr on Mediums. Amazing.

#48 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 20:10

It was a really a poor performance by Ericsson even when you come to think of it that Nasr is a rookie.

According to data Nasr was 39(!) out of 57 laps faster than Ericsson. 

Even on soft compound Ericsson was about 0.5-1 sec per lap slower than Nasr on Mediums. Amazing.

Not amazing at all. Actually, since you believe that, you prove that you do not know enough about their respective races and strategies to comment on them.

Edited by ardbeg, 16 March 2015 - 20:11.

#49 spaceace1977

spaceace1977

• 282 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 20:33

Not amazing at all. Actually, since you believe that, you prove that you do not know enough about their respective races and strategies to comment on them.

Their respective strategies are online, easy to find and says it all. So, what do you mean?

#50 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,072 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 21:15

Sad thing is we know he's not talentless as he used to be one of the best drivers around back in his F3 days, but with every passing F1 race he looks more and more like a Lavaggi or Deletraz type character, which is just bizarre.

Deletraz was actually a very quick driver in F3000 but his F1 debut came after he hadn't raced single seaters for four years, he came from touring cars and wasn't used to single seaters anymore. His son looks like a genuine talent in F. Renault 2.0.

Lavaggi should never have been given a Super Licence.

Edited by William Hunt, 16 March 2015 - 21:17.