- - - - -

Thanks, Google! (F1 searches)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 The Passenger

The Passenger

• 1,772 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:36

If you search the term "f1", Google brings up the F1 standings as at the current time, without having to click on any links.

GoogleF1_zpsaxmqb0ep.jpg

Yay!

And...

If you search the term "f1 calendar", Google brings up the 2015 race calendar in your local time, without having to click on any links.

GoogleF1Calendar_zpsq357ushq.jpg

Thanks Google!  :up:

Disclaimer: I have given my soul, my piano, and one of my legs to Google's information databanks.  Let us know if this works for you.

Edited by The Passenger, 16 March 2015 - 06:37.

Advertisement

#2 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:23

Hi mr Google employee! It's useful though.

#3 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:30

It seems Malaysia, Bahrain, Monaco, Singapore, United States [of America] and Abu Dhabi are on Google's No Inflection list. :p

This feature of Google served me quite well during last year's Football World Cup and Winter Olympics. It's surprising to see what lengths organisers go to on their own websites to hide such vital information behind menus and ridiculous javascripts.

It's nice to see it for F1, as well. :up:

#4 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:37

This is bad.

If Google lifts all the information from websites and displays it automatically then people will stop visiting the websites... the websites will lose traffic and it won't be viable to keep them running. Soon there will only be Google.

Edit: Entering a driver name also does the same:

https://www.google.c...fernando alonso

His basic info is listed there without going to a website. So are photos... and other drivers.

Google is cutting out the middle man.

Edited by RedBaron, 16 March 2015 - 09:40.

#5 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:51

Looking forward to Cortana in Windows 10. Hopefully it can do even more of this sort of thing.

#6 oldclassiccar

oldclassiccar

• 270 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:55

This is bad.

If Google lifts all the information from websites and displays it automatically then people will stop visiting the websites... the websites will lose traffic and it won't be viable to keep them running. Soon there will only be Google.

https://www.google.c...fernando alonso

His basic info is listed there without going to a website. So are photos... and other drivers.

+1

happening more and more, just look at ggl images :(

RJ

#7 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:04

I can ask my Nexus tablet something like "Who won the 2013 British Grand Prix" and then a voice will say back "According to our data, the 2013 British Grand Prix was won by Nico Rosberg"

Edited by Kristian, 16 March 2015 - 10:04.

#8 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:06

I can ask my Nexus tablet something like "Who won the 2013 British Grand Prix" and then a voice will say back "According to our data, the 2013 British Grand Prix was won by Nico Rosberg"

Can you get more specific with it?

"Who was 5th place in the 1997 French Grand Prix"?

#9 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:16

This is bad.

The thing is though, when you go to the organiser's website, in this case Formula1.com, you're presented with one of those horrible designs that looks exactly the same as every other corporate website these days. There's big images all around, huge fonts and a big bar at the top that only works when you have all sorts of scripts running.

You then need to either scroll all the way down, past all the big images and news stories and an advertisement by Rolex, to find the list of starting times in Malaysian time (with the option to toggle your own local time - another click). Alternatively, if you're unaware that scrolling all the way down actually helps you would need to move to Championship on the top bar, open up a drop down menu, somehow figure out to click All Races, then click Malaysian Grand Prix, and only there will you find the page that lists starting times. It does so in local time - and here there is no option to toggle to local time. Nice! :stoned:

Google is only able to 'cut out the middle man' because they're offering people a quick answer to their question: What time does the Malaysian Grand Prix start for me? One click and you have the answer. That's excellent. :up:

#10 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:33

convenient but dangerous...

#11 pdac

pdac

• 17,122 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:43

Don't get much with "f1 Australia qualifying results"

#12 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:55

The thing is though, when you go to the organiser's website, in this case Formula1.com, you're presented with one of those horrible designs that looks exactly the same as every other corporate website these days. There's big images all around, huge fonts and a big bar at the top that only works when you have all sorts of scripts running.

You then need to either scroll all the way down, past all the big images and news stories and an advertisement by Rolex, to find the list of starting times in Malaysian time (with the option to toggle your own local time - another click). Alternatively, if you're unaware that scrolling all the way down actually helps you would need to move to Championship on the top bar, open up a drop down menu, somehow figure out to click All Races, then click Malaysian Grand Prix, and only there will you find the page that lists starting times. It does so in local time - and here there is no option to toggle to local time. Nice! :stoned:

Google is only able to 'cut out the middle man' because they're offering people a quick answer to their question: What time does the Malaysian Grand Prix start for me? One click and you have the answer. That's excellent. :up:

I assume the websites in your signature are yours? Let's use theracingline.net/racingcircuits as an example.

What if I type in to Google 'Racing circuits Argentina'

And it throws up the full list - just like your website does: http://theracingline...tina/index.html

Then what if clicking on each item from the list then displays - within Google - a clean circuit map, results/series racing there. Just like your circuit pages do: http://theracingline...es1995-06S.html

Your website is now rendered almost entirely redundant. Choice still exists, because it is possible for users to browse search results and find a website like yours but they are encourage and directed to the in page Google data far above your link in the results.

#13 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:58

OK so why no Google now cards yet?
We're in 2015 ffs.

#14 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:35

I assume the websites in your signature are yours?

No, they're not - but I see your point and it is a good one. Google's accumulation of data from other people's work does present some problems. Its news aggregation is frequently the focus of such discussion.

The circuits database linked to in my signature can answer the question, through Google, of how long the circuit at Zandvoort was in 1980. The person looking for that information will indeed be able to avoid visiting the actual website entirely. The same is true for those searching for a map of Spa-Francorchamps in 1967. But Google cannot replicate the experience of browsing through the database from circuit to circuit, watching the chances to its layout from year to year.

I think in this case Google is merely presenting quick factoids that are published by the organisers. What time does the race start? What circuit hosts the German GP? Who won in Brazil 2014? Autosport also lists these basic facts, as do all manner of other news- and fansites.

Edited by Nonesuch, 16 March 2015 - 11:36.

#15 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:38

Doesn't work on german google which is forced upon me by the power of the internet even if I enter www.google.com in the adress line :p... I know there are some direct links tho

#16 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:42

This is bad.

https://www.google.c...5.600j0j7....  yadddity..yaddity

This is why Google is being investigated, albeit glacially slowly, by th information commissioner in the EU.  They take from the sites and give little back.

I try and use alternate search engines - DuckDuckgo (just for the name) and Ixquick are my defaults, but, let's be honest, Google's results are better.

There are hacks you can use e.g. the trackmenot plug in to give false data to their database, but they tend to spot it and be nasty...