Photo

UK Air museum burglary

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 13:06

Knowing that many here are also interested in aircraft and aviation history, I'm sharing this - received this morning from friends who run the wonderful Solent Sky Museum in Southampton:

"Last week various artifacts were stolen in what appears to be a planned and targeted attack on the Solent Sky Museum. On the 8th of March a gang broke into the Museum via a rear entrance. A large fireproof safe containing many important historic documents was tipped over and opened with sledge hammers and crowbars. Fortunately the documents although disturbed were undamaged. However a a cigarette case belonging to R J Mitchell (the designer of the Spitfire) was stolen. The value of the case is not much on its own, however its historical value is enormous. 

"The staff and volunteers are very upset at the loss of this artifact. I'm asking everyone to share this message and the article below. There is a slim chance it may appear somewhere.

"http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-31903759"

Should anyone be offered such an artefact please let Solent Sky know...

DCN

Advertisement

#2 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 15:43

I am at a loss to begin to fathom this. My guess they really didn't know what they were looking for, but they probably won't know the value of what they have taken either.

I've spent a lot of time there, helping with the S6 and giving them data on the R Type engines etc (getting tea on the upper deck of the Sunderland in return), and this is something they really didn't deserve (not that any one does of course), a real shame.

#3 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:32

Sad news. The motive baffles me. I really does seem an odd choice for a random burglary - they were obviously well-equipped, but what on earth did they expect to find which would be of value to them? Scrap metal, possibly?

#4 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:21

Sadly I doubt that the perps will be found and perhaps the cigarette case has gone forever too. I hope not.  On a similar note does anybody know what the outcome of the missing BRM conrod that was pinched off a stand a few months ago? Was it, and perhaps the thief, ever found? 

#5 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 20:35

Nothing found, I regret to report. 

DCN

#6 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 21:03

Sounds like a very specific robbery, there have been a few odd ones of late, like the Red Bull trophy robberies as well and some thefts from heritage railways of specific locomotive parts.

Must be some people out there with enough money to hire ruffians to do their work to create a collection that presumably they could never sell or display.

#7 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 13:26

Sounds like a very specific robbery, there have been a few odd ones of late, like the Red Bull trophy robberies as well and some thefts from heritage railways of specific locomotive parts.

Must be some people out there with enough money to hire ruffians to do their work to create a collection that presumably they could never sell or display.

Inded - we saw a documentary recently on the recovery and repatriation of artworks stolen by the Nazis during the war, and concluded that those who had them during that period must have considered that, if their side lost the war, they would never be able to display them.  All we could conclude was that they wanted them for the kick they got from knowing that they had them.

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:08

How's about this for some (much needed) good news. The stolen R.J. Mitchell cigarette case has been returned by post - anonymously - to the Solent Sky Museum! A tea-leaf with a heart...or at least, maybe a modicum of brain. Still deserves a slap, of course, but a cheering outcome, nonetheless.

Now we just need the same attitude to rub off on that piece of scum who stole the BRM V16 con-rod from last year's NMM display at the Goodwood Revival. Just pop it in a Jiffy bag and post to rightful owner - that's all the effort it would need.

DCN

#9 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 13:47

Good news on one count, fingers crossed on the second.

#10 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 14:57

Good news on one count, fingers crossed on the second.

Indeed.  Such an important relic was a huge loss to the country while it was missing.

Edited by cpbell, 04 April 2015 - 14:58.