Photo

The Scuderia Veloce Ferrari 275LM

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:55

Rather than have too much complicated detail in the 'Personal photos of Australian motor racing...' thread, I'm starting this one...

And what better way to start it?

Originally posted by rasimmo
.....a long discussion about which was the best looking Ferrari. None of them were right.
236IanGeoghegan.jpg

'Big Pete' Geoghegan on his way to setting the fastest lap the car ever did at Bathurst - 2:30.8.

But to go back to the beginning, for 1965 David McKay had a bold plan. With £50,000 from Shell he purchased and proposed to run for a year a Brabham BT11 with FPF Climax engines and a Ferrari 250LM. The end of the year would see his obligations to Shell fulfilled and he would own the cars, being free to approach Shell (or anyone else interested) again for money to run them the next year.

He had engaged Graham Hill to drive the Brabham during the Tasman Cup series while he was grooming Spencer Martin to engage local drivers in the contest for the Gold Star series for the Australian Drivers' Championship.

Spencer had come into the ranks of front-line competition the previous year in the BT4 Brabham and was ready to advance to the latest machinery. I suspect that the LM was intended to help him put more competitive miles under his belt apart from putting a true glamour car into the team.

The net result of this concentration of the Shell sponsorship was that Brian Muir (S4 Holden) and Greg Cusack (Brabham 1.5 and Lotus 23) would have to pursue alternative sponsorships rather than run under the SV banner. Both went to Castrol.

Shell's twofold aim in accepting McKay's proposal was that they wanted to wrest the Gold Star away from competitor BP on the one hand and that such a spectacular car as the Ferrari would give them a lot of publicity on the other.

Surprisingly, Spencer had done very little driving in 1964, he didn't contest a single Gold Star event, for instance. He'd been picked by McKay after his domination of the Holdens that raced in such numbers, but a part of that selection related to his abilities as a mechanic as well. Spencer helped Bob Atkin fettle the cars and worked on the Brabham as it raced in New Zealand.

The revitalised Scuderia did only two races in NZ, opening the new team's account with a great win in the New Zealand Grand Prix at Pukekohe. He scored a fourth place at Levin, then they skipped Wigram and Teretonga, going home to prepare for the Australian events.

Fifth place at Warwick Farm, a DNF at Sandown and fourth at Longford completed his duties. It was at the latter two meetings that the Ferrari had its first outings. A week after Longford Martin contested the Lakeside 'International 99' and filled third behind Jim Clark and Frank Gardner, while the lake echoed to the sounds of the V12's shriek.

1965 was off to a reasonable start for the team and a glamorous year for the Ferrari...

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:57

Concentrating now on the Ferrari, its racing record in 1965 was:

21.2.1965 Sandown Park Tasman meeting/Spencer Martin #1 - 1st after Matich retired
27.2.1965 Longford/Spencer Martin #1 - 1st 8 laps
1.3.1965 Longford/Spencer Martin #1 - 1st 15 laps
7.3.1965 Lakeside/Spencer Martin #1 - 4th 10 laps
8.3.1965 Lakeside/Spencer Martin # 1 - 3rd one lap down after 20 laps
19.4.1965 Bathurst/Spencer Martin #1 (or #11) - 3rd 3 laps with ANF1.5 cars; 2nd 10 laps
16.5.1965 Warwick Farm/Spencer Martin #1 - 1st 5 laps closed cars; 5th 22 of 23 laps RAC Trophy race
7.6.1965 Caversham 6-hour/Spencer Martin & David McKay #1 - 1ST 223 laps (won by 12 laps)
25.7.1965 Lakeside/Spencer Martin #? - 3rd 6 laps; 4th 6 laps
8.8.1965 Warwick Farm/Spencer Martin #? - 2nd 10 laps
19.9.1965 Warwick Farm/Spencer Martin #1 - 1st 10 laps GT race
26.9.1965 Sandown Park/Spencer Martin #? - 2nd 20 (?) laps Victorian Sports Car Championship
24.10.1965 Lowood/Spencer Martin #1 - 1st 18 laps Queensland TT
7.11.1965 Catalina Park/Spencer Martin # 11 - 1st 8 laps; 1st 10 laps
14.11.1965 Lakeside/Spencer Martin #1 - 3rd Australian Tourist Trophy 80 laps of 83
5.12.1695 Warwick Farm/Spencer Martin #? 2nd 10 laps

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:48

1966 was not to be such a successful year for the Scuderia...

Spencer grew tired of his role in the team and the way he felt he was treated. After the Tasman Cup series he and David parted company and Shell had to rewrite their contracts. A deal was struck which included Bob Jane, the Brabham and Spencer going to live in Melbourne and the Ferrari staying with McKay.

Both cars had gone to New Zealand, where I don't have full results for the Ferrari's racing... I do have:

8.1.1966 Pukekohe/Spencer Martin #? - 1st 6 laps Ken Wharton Memorial race 1:24.9
15.1.1966 Levin/Spencer Martin #? - 1st 8 laps
22.5.1966 Wigram/Spencer Martin #? - 1st ? laps
29.5.1966 Teretonga/Spencer Martin #? - 1st ? laps
27.2.1966 Sandown Park/Spencer Martin #? - 3rd ? laps
5.3.1966 Longford/Spencer Martin #1 - 2nd 8 laps
7.3.1966 Longford/Spencer Martin #1 - 3rd 23 laps Australian TT (pitted with loose undertray)
15.5.1966 Warwick Farm/Andy Buchanan #? - 5th 23 laps RAC Trophy race (handicap)
22.5.1966 Surfers/Andy Buchanan #? - 3rd 10 laps; 4th 5 laps
5.6.1966 Caversham/Andy Buchanan #1 - DNF collapsed rear wheel bearing
21.8.1966 Surfers/Jackie Stewart & Andy Buchanan #3 - 1st 12-hour 493 laps
18.9.1966 Warwick Farm/Andy Buchanan #? - 4th 15 laps GT race; 2nd 10 laps open sports

Here we need the full details from Renwick, Pukekohe and Levin to complete the 1966 results.

Edited by Ray Bell, 21 March 2015 - 10:37.

#4 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:57

50,000 pounds in 1965!! Shell must have been much richer/more generous than they have ever been given credit for!

#5 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 475 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:02

Longford Programs for 65-67 showing LM250 Entries and race numbers

Longford%201965%2003D2%20P17_zpsv6prvzgk

IMG_1353_zps1oigejpp.jpg

Lgfd%20p16%2067_zpsyexsvlx3.jpg

Andy Buchanan was entered but car never came in 67

#6 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,850 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:35

From the 1965 race date list, here's a few numbers to fill the gaps.

19.4.1965 Bathurst/Spencer Martin #11 - 3rd 3 laps with ANF1.5 cars; 2nd 10 laps

25.7.1965 Lakeside/Spencer Martin #1 - 3rd 6 laps; 4th 6 laps

8.8.1965 Warwick Farm/Spencer Martin #1 - 2nd 10 laps

26.9.1965 Sandown Park/Spencer Martin #1 - 2nd 20 (?) laps Victorian Sports Car Championship

5.12.1965 Warwick Farm/Spencer Martin #1 2nd 10 laps

Period Aussie magazines didn't mind a bit of SHELL sponsorship to allow them a colour cover.

1965_Autosportsman.jpg

Stephen

Edited by cooper997, 29 April 2018 - 09:45.

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:00

Originally posted by cooper997
From the 1965 race date list, here's a few numbers to fill the gaps.

19.4.1965 Bathurst/Spencer Martin #11
- 3rd 3 laps with ANF1.5 cars; 2nd 10 laps

1965_Autosportsman.jpg

Stephen, I offer in evidence your post...

I believe the car raced only with No 1 that weekend. Nobody in the races in which the Ferrari was entered ran this number, except for Spencer's own Brabham in the final event, which he drove instead of the LM.

The only photo I had until you posted this one was from John Medley's book, that one is either from practice or Race 5, though I would say yours is likely the same.

#8 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,850 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:11

Yes I shouldn't cut and paste.

I went through the programmes this morning noting the appropriate numbers. Then decided to scan that cover just before I posted. So I should have taken more notice. Bathurst's Events 5 & 8 entry lists both actually state #11 just to confuse the matter though..

Stephen

#9 ed holly

ed holly

• 387 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:46

Pretty sure it was the 1968 Surfers Paradise 6 hours .... Leo told me this about the 250LM

Leo was to do the middle stint and Pete the first and last. However Pete was a bit unwell and at the last minute - like the very last minute before the race Leo had to grab his helmet and dive into the driver's seat. The reason - Pete was unwell - Leo didn't elaborate on this except to say it did have something to do with the previous night. 

Anyways, Leo thought the big Ferrari would be a bit truck-like compared to the nimbleness of the machinery he was used to, but he said it was the exact opposite, it was in fact the consummate sports racing car, lots of power, wonderful handling and brakes, obviously built for long distance racing and very easy on the driver's body. Leo was quite taken aback by the car and ended up doing the majority of the race himself which he sure didn't mind. 

Sure wish we still had it here, have a photo of it somewhere when Spencer Martin took Mary Packard around Amaroo at a Historic Meeting in the late 80s I think - will try to find it and post it here.

#10 ProvaMO31

ProvaMO31

• 62 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:14

here are some info given by Opplock about Levin race 1966

Levin 15/1/66  Spencer Martin had number 11

Levin 26/11/66 Buchanan was number 28.

expecting it could be helpful  ;)

QUOTE - Opplock

Loic

The info I do have about the NZ races is limited but hopefully useful to you.

Spencer Martin drove a Brabham BT11 for Scuderia Veloce in the 1966 Tasman Series and the Ferrari also made its way to NZ.

He won the sports car races at Pukekohe, Levin, Wigram and Teretonga. I was at Levin (15 Jan 1966) and have more detailed results. He won the 8 lap scratch race followed by the Lycoming (a local aircraft engined special), the Beowulf (a local clubmans type car) and a Cooper Bobtail. The Lycoming started at scratch in the handicap race held immediately after the Tasman race so I assume that Martin did not compete.

Andy Buchanan had wins at Pukekohe (twice) and Levin (26 Nov 66) in late 1966 national events but was beaten at Renwick by the Stanton Corvette. In the Tasman support events he won at Pukekohe, Levin (14 Jan 67) and Wigram but was again beaten by the Stanton at Teretonga. He won a national race at Timaru in Feb 1967 after which the car returned to Australia.

In the Nov 66 Levin meeting Buchanan won both scratch and handicap races. His closest competition came from David Oxton driving a Lola Mk1. In January he won the scratch race followed by the Stanton and Lycoming and finished 4th in the handicap race behind an Austin Healey Sprite, the Stanton and Lycoming.   

Edited by ProvaMO31, 17 March 2015 - 09:14.

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:36

First outing, Sandown Park...

0315sandown250_LM.jpg

Spoiled by tape and padding to ward off stones at the start of the second preliminary heat at the ATT meeting at Lakeside, November 14, 1965:

0315lakeside_ATTstartht2.jpg

Ken Miles is trying to outdo Pete Geoghegan while Frank Gardner knows he should be in front. Cusack, Martin, Scott (Lotus 15), Demuth (Lola) and Geary's 23 follow, while I don't know the last car shown.

Edited by Ray Bell, 17 March 2015 - 10:43.

#12 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:48

Through the mist at Catalina.

img019_zpsbxaxkkpv.jpg

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:52

Great shot...

I wasn't there that day, the one Catalina I missed after May '63. We were in a 24-hour slot car race instead!

#14 ProvaMO31

ProvaMO31

• 62 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:13

yes, nice shot ! :up:

when did you take it  ???

with race number  #7 was it in 1966 , 1967 ??

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:33

I'd have to check the date, but it was about April '67...

Bill Brown was driving.

#16 seldo

seldo

• 2,588 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:39

Pretty sure it was the 1968 Surfers Paradise 6 hours .... Leo told me this about the 250LM

Leo was to do the middle stint and Pete the first and last. However Pete was a bit unwell and at the last minute - like the very last minute before the race Leo had to grab his helmet and dive into the driver's seat. The reason - Pete was unwell - Leo didn't elaborate on this except to say it did have something to do with the previous night. 

Anyways, Leo thought the big Ferrari would be a bit truck-like compared to the nimbleness of the machinery he was used to, but he said it was the exact opposite, it was in fact the consummate sports racing car, lots of power, wonderful handling and brakes, obviously built for long distance racing and very easy on the driver's body. Leo was quite taken aback by the car and ended up doing the majority of the race himself which he sure didn't mind. 

Sure wish we still had it here, have a photo of it somewhere when Spencer Martin took Mary Packard around Amaroo at a Historic Meeting in the late 80s I think - will try to find it and post it here.

My lasting memory of the LM was at Surfers during the 6 hour race and as a fellow competitor, I couldn't make my mind come to grips the amazing rush of sound as we came onto the bottom of the main straight while the LM was way ahead and about to go under the Dunlop Bridge. But the acoustics were such that it seemed that we were almost driving up its megaphone exhaust, and even though the car was almost out of sight, that incredible mellifluous wail was almost inside your head so that every time we came upon it I felt quite uncomfortable and couldn't help but search the rear-vision mirror frantically as if it was about to consume us....

#17 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 20:47

Crikey Seldo, what a marvelous description...although I had to go and look up "mellifluous" to get the full impact.  ;) Well done !

#18 ed holly

ed holly

• 387 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 21:41

Apologies for off-topic ... but it has something to do with 250LM's

Ray, I did the 24 hour race a few times as a member of the SSME at Ashfield, with a 250LM as our entry. I think we lost a lot of laps in the wee hours with a pinion problem, not sure if it was that year, suspect it was the years 65 and 66 I ran there. Might still have the shell ... the 250LM was and still is my favourite Ferrari, 250GTO's don't get a look in !

#19 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 22:11

Ed the 24-hour I did was at Crows Nest...

The Russkit Carreras were all the go then but we built up a Lola GT with a trick motor that cost (relatively) a lot of money. We did some practice and a couple of the 'drivers' were doing well.

Then the owners of the raceway stuck some kind of glue on the surface the day before the race and it suited only the Russkit cars.

And I agree, David's done a wonderful job of explaining how the noise travelled. I remember hearing that sound at Longford very well.

Advertisement

#20 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 239 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 23:07

Mike Parkes wrote to David McKay on 1st February, 1966:

"LM: Passing now to your LM you will no doubt be pleased to learn that the car has been homologated in the 50 car GT category, as has the 4.7 litre Ford GT, although infact neither they nor us have made 50 cars. We are still making one or two LM`s, David Piper has probably given you all his "gen" on modifications. He has gone up to 7" front rims, also I think 8" rears, and has increased the top speed considerably by lengthening the nose and making it similar to the 1962 GTO. He has had quite a number of gear-box failures, some of which I suspect may have been due to Fax, his mechanic, but it is clear that the crown wheel and pinion should be changed after between 18-24 hours use, depending on the ratio employed, and the same applies to the pinion bearings. I incidentally cannot recommend in the interest of liability, attempting to fit other than ex factory spares. My research incidentally, reveals that Fiat 500 bearing shells should not fit.

We have introduced a somewhat complicated modification to improve the gear-box life which includes machining out the bearing housings in the casing to take bigger bearings. I can probably send particulars if you decide that it is worth while. We do not official recommend the use of "M" tyres, and infact suspect that customers gear-box failures were due to their using "M" tyres, but my own view is that the introduction of the "M" tyre coincided with the limit of fatigue life of many peoples gear-boxes. You should use 550 front and 600-660 rear and probably reduce the camber a little at the rear and should find the car faster.

You can obtain variations of the inter-mediate gear-box ratios by using some of the ratios from the Targa Florio box should you find the standard LM ratios not suitable for your circuits. For an engine overhaul, as I think I told you, you should definately change valve springs checking carefull to ensure that you have the correct fitted length. Bearing shells need only be changed where they appear necessary, also rear main oil-seal. Valve seats should not be changed unless absolutely necessary, this being determined by how far they have sunk into the head. I would not think that it was worth changing the big end bolts.

I am at a lost to understand why you have to grind down the rear pad, but can assure you that you have the correct caliphers. We have never carried out compression checks ourselves but your system seems very sound, the engine presumably being hot. I can give you no indication of the valves to expect."

"I would be most interested in hearing about any sort of Racing programme you could offer me in Australia for 1966-67." Yours, Mike Parkes

#21 ProvaMO31

ProvaMO31

• 62 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 23:14

QUOTE:

you will no doubt be pleased to learn that the car has been homologated in the 50 car GT category, as has the 4.7 litre Ford GT, although infact neither they nor us have made 50 cars.

yes , in fact only 32 cars were produced and Mc Kay's LM was the 31th with chassis number #6321

i really enjoyed to read this kind of  " LM conditions of use " and advices described by Mike Parkes

Amazing !!!  :up:

what also strikes me in this report is the détail about rims and tires

"He has gone up to 7" front rims, also I think 8" rears,..."

i checked and compared the first picture, n°12 at Baturst 1968, with Le Mans  pictures and other LM pictures like for example at "Tour de France" ..

then i can confirm that the rims on Mc Kay's LM are extremly wide and large :eek:

on 1965 pics, this LM had  "normal" rims ...but on 1967 and 1968 pics, rims are really wider

Edited by ProvaMO31, 18 March 2015 - 21:25.

#22 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 475 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:01

Have a look here for Bruce Wells pics at Catalina Post #17

http://www.theroarin...t=ferrari 250lm

Edited by Ellis French, 18 March 2015 - 02:03.

#23 Gordon Graham

Gordon Graham

• 114 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:00

Here it is at Amaroo in around mid-83, when Spencer Martin did a few laps during an all-Italian demo in the lunch break

Scan10051.jpg

#24 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:08

Originally posted by Parkesi
Mike Parkes wrote to David McKay on 1st February, 1966:
"LM: Passing now to your LM you will no doubt be pleased to learn that the car has been homologated in the 50 car GT category, as has the 4.7 litre Ford GT, although infact neither they nor us have made 50 cars. We are still making one or two LM`s, David Piper has probably given you all his "gen" on modifications. He has gone up to 7" front rims, also I think 8" rears, and has increased the top speed considerably by lengthening the nose and making it similar to the 1962 GTO. He has had quite a number of gear-box failures, some of which I suspect may have been due to Fax, his mechanic, but it is clear that the crown wheel and pinion should be changed after between 18-24 hours use, depending on the ratio employed, and the same applies to the pinion bearings. I incidentally cannot recommend in the interest of liability, attempting to fit other than ex factory spares. My research incidentally, reveals that Fiat 500 bearing shells should not fit.
We have introduced a somewhat complicated modification to improve the gear-box life which includes machining out the bearing housings in the casing to take bigger bearings. I can probably send particulars if you decide that it is worth while. We do not official recommend the use of "M" tyres, and in fact suspect that customers gear-box failures were due to their using "M" tyres, but my own view is that the introduction of the "M" tyre coincided with the limit of fatigue life of many peoples gear-boxes. You should use 550 front and 600-660 rear and probably reduce the camber a little at the rear and should find the car faster.
You can obtain variations of the inter-mediate gear-box ratios by using some of the ratios from the Targa Florio box should you find the standard LM ratios not suitable for your circuits. For an engine overhaul, as I think I told you, you should definately change valve springs checking carefull to ensure that you have the correct fitted length. Bearing shells need only be changed where they appear necessary, also rear main oil-seal. Valve seats should not be changed unless absolutely necessary, this being determined by how far they have sunk into the head. I would not think that it was worth changing the big end bolts.
I am at a lost to understand why you have to grind down the rear pad, but can assure you that you have the correct caliphers. We have never carried out compression checks ourselves but your system seems very sound, the engine presumably being hot. I can give you no indication of the valves to expect."
"I would be most interested in hearing about any sort of Racing programme you could offer me in Australia for 1966-67." Yours, Mike Parkes.

This is fascinating...

But the more fascinating bit is what's been left out. A message would not begin, "Passing now to your LM...", there must have been something more prior to that point.

Was David trying to get an openwheeler from them? Or maybe a P3?

Parksi... can you please tell us more? Obviously to have this message you must have a lot more information at your fingertips!

#25 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:11

Originally posted by Wirra
Through the mist at Catalina.

img019_zpsbxaxkkpv.jpg

Of interest here... what happened in this race?

A photo caption in the RCN report says that it was red-flagged and run later in the day, but the race isn't mentioned in the report!

#26 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:11

Ray, IIRC with this shot the camera gave far more detail than the naked eye could see. I'm fairly sure it was a real pea souper and that's why the race was red flagged, and possibly the meeting shortened

Again, if I recall correctly, it was near the end for Catalina where a series of inclement weather meetings had even we die hards questioning whether the long trip to the mountains was going to be worth it all.

Didn't someone severely damage this car coming off The Causeway at Warwick Farm?

#27 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:11

Yes, Bill Brown in practice for the May, '67 meeting...

The damage was confined to the right rear corner, but it was substantial. The chassis work was done by Bob Britton and Stan Smith did the bodywork. That was the second meeting from which the car was scratched, I suspect it was late getting back from NZ to miss Bathurst. It was also scratched from the Surfers meeting the following week and then wasn't entered again until Surfers in August.

I gather five races were cancelled from that Catalina meeting, but the caption to the photo does say this race was re-run later and it's simply not reported in the magazine. Very frustrating!

As far as 'inclement weather' goes for Catalina, I missed only this meeting between May (or was it April?) '63 and the last ever meeting. I only saw rain on race day once, never fog. But practice days often suffered and it was more or less always wet underfoot.

This wasn't the reason for the demise of the circuit, however, that was the ineptitude of the ARDC, the arrival of Amaroo Park and perhaps some disagreement with the BMSDC.

Edited by Ray Bell, 20 March 2015 - 10:00.

#28 opplock

opplock

• 944 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:22

The quote function doesn't work in Windows 8.1. The Parkes message is interesting. It may have started with an update on John Surtees' progress or were SV hoping to buy the apparently redundant Tasman car later used by Bandini  in F1?   

#29 launchpad

launchpad

• 146 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 13:01

Perhaps this photo illustrates just how much fog there was to contend with that day at Catalina Park. Taken about 20-30 metres away at trackside , Craven A corner.

DSC_0333-crop_zps235xy8th.jpg

#30 ProvaMO31

ProvaMO31

• 62 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 13:25

foggy isn't it ??? :lol: 

or condensation on the lens :p

#31 ed holly

ed holly

• 387 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 21:16

The New Zealand based Roaring Season has a few photos here

http://www.theroarin...mith-Collection

and here  http://www.theroarin...sh-dump-2/page2

Edited by ed holly, 18 March 2015 - 22:39.

#32 launchpad

launchpad

• 146 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:45

DSC_0061-crop_zpsk3mxobsh.jpg

DSC_0057-crop_zpsw1uburba.jpg

It was a foggy cold wet day -it was not just condensation on the lens! The spectators shared my view of the weather.

#33 ProvaMO31

ProvaMO31

• 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:02

real not enjoyable weather for a race meeting :(...i also knew that kind of bad weather conditions , in Le Mans 24h , but more often in Spa Francorchamps Ferrari meetings ;

a nightmare for spectators, lens, camera and me :|

Edited by ProvaMO31, 19 March 2015 - 09:03.

#34 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,850 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:43

The other Australian 250LM of Ferrari & Lancia concessionaire, W H Lowe & Co's stand at the 1965 Melbourne Motor Show. The Show ran from February 11 - 20. David McKay writes in his book that this was a good source of spare wheels for long distance racing of his SV car.

The specification write up in the Motor Show programme lists details for a 3.3litre car. Whether it is I'll leave that for the gurus.

1965_Melb_MS.jpg

Stephen

Edit - too much faith put into a grainy old photo. I've pondered this and have decided to edit, rather than remove completely.

Edited by cooper997, 29 April 2018 - 09:47.

#35 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 14:01

Different car, Stephen...

That one was Lowe's own car and it was green.

#36 ProvaMO31

ProvaMO31

• 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 14:08

:eek: green ??? do you know chassis number ? it is the first time i hear about green LM ( except David Piper's car) ; i am a bit surprised

i just need to check that:

http://www.barchetta...ndex/index.html

Found !!!  ;) ...and the first color was green...of course :up:

chassis # 6167 from 1964 Ferrari 250 LM, RHD motore tipo 211

verde bottiglia/pelle verde - 26th on 32 exp produced

1964 - David McKay, AUS via William H. Lowe

1964 - McKay cancelled order, so that Lowe had the car in his shop for many months

here is the report of Mc Kay's LM life

http://www.barchetta.../6321.250LM.htm

Edited by ProvaMO31, 19 March 2015 - 14:46.

#37 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 14:58

Some errors in that listing, Loic...

I've got to get more results posted up here for you so you can see, but another issue is the spelling of the name, 'David Liddle'. Actually, I'm not sure whether it's 'Liddle' or 'Liddel', but I do know it's not 'Little'.

#38 ProvaMO31

ProvaMO31

• 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 15:52

Now, you know and understand why i prefer to look for information with your  ( and all Aussies ) help .  ;)

i am sure to find the true info and documents.

impossible to trust info in Europe...even if this website ( Barchetta CC )  is, " in general ", a reference for Ferrari info...

#39 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:33

Accepting that there are New Zealand races for which I don't have results...

7.1.67 Pukekohe/Andy Buchanan #? - 1st Ken Wharton Memorial race ?L
27.3.67 Bathurst/Bill Brown #1 - scratched from meeting*
16.4.67 Sandown Park/Bill Brown #? - 3rd prelim heat ?L; 3rd Victorian Spts Car Ch'ship 28L
23.4.67 Catalina Park/Bill Brown #7 - second last in handicap ?L; 2nd Spts & Racing Cars 6L; ?? another race later re-run?
13.5.67 Warwick Farm/Bill Brown #? - hit fence in practice, scratched from meeting ##
21.5.78 Surfers Paradise/Bill Brown #? - scratched due to Warwick Farm damaged
27.8.67 Surfers Paradise/Bill Brown #4 - 2nd 5L; 2nd 10L
3.9.67 Surfers Paradise/Greg Cusack & Bill Brown #4 - 1st 12-hour race 490 laps
10.9.67 Warwick Farm/Bill Brown #4 - 3rd 'Gallaher GT' Spts Car race 34 laps; 2nd 5L & 2nd 5L
17.9.67 Sandown Park/Bill Brown #? - 3rd 10L

*Presumably not yet back in Australia or arrived too late to be properly prepared for the meeting.

## Right rear of car hit end of Armco outside exit to Causeway, serious body damage, Bob Britton and Stan Smith engaged to repair, engine etc removed. Bent chassis tubes, pickups torn out of chassis, wishbones bent. Britton straightened at his workshop but insisted on doing wheel alignment when car reassembled as suspension wasn't adjustable, used porta-power to bend chassis tubes to achieve correct alignment.

Advertisement

#40 ProvaMO31

ProvaMO31

• 62 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:44

great job; well done  Ray !!! :up:  :clap:

#41 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,664 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:47

Great shame that car has been "Ralphed " by Lauren. :down:

#42 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:59

And on to 1968...

As Bill Brown had the P4 to play with, Ian Geoghegan was given the drive. There was conjecture at the time about whether it was better to do it the other way round, but this was the way it was finalised.

15.4.68 Bathurst/Ian Geoghegan #12 - 2nd 6L Sports Cars; 7th 3L Sports and Racing Cars (FL 2:30.8)
5.5.68 Warwick Farm/Ian Geoghegan #5 - 4th RAC Trophy 23L; 1st HMV Trophy GT cars 5L (FL 1:37.3)
14.5.68 Lakeside/Ian Geoghegan #5 - 2nd 20L; 3rd 6L (FL 59.3)*
1.9.68 Surfers Paradise/Ian Geoghegan & Leo Geoghegan #18 - 1st 6-hour race 249 laps (practice FL 1:19.5)
27.10.65 Surfers Paradise/Ian Geoghegan #5 - DNF rear wheel bearing 25L Ht 1 Qld Spts Car Ch'ship (qual FL 1:19.3)

* This was the first time the LM had beaten all the Lotus 23s at Lakeside, first time lapped under minute.

I've shown the fastest laps here because there's no doubt Pete was the fastest driver the car ever had.

#43 ProvaMO31

ProvaMO31

• 62 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:19

i am a bit surprised to see that the LM did "only " 5 races in 1968 :confused:

compared to 1965 & 1966

is there a particular reason  ? or it is just because Mc Kay used the 350 P for the other races...

Edited by ProvaMO31, 20 March 2015 - 10:21.

#44 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:46

They were also running Phil West in the Brabham Repco V8 in open-wheeler races...

He won the Gold Star race at Bathurst and was mathematically capable of winning the series throughout the year, even going into the last race, despite this being his first year in the 'big cars'.

The team had made a big bid to support Cusack in the Tasman Cup races too, while they played a role in Amon's Ferrari's participation.

Perhaps it was a 'starting money' thing, where David expected the car he by now was calling 'the Grand Old Lady' to be given some special treatment and it wasn't forthcoming.

We could speculate for days on this and never really know. Scuderia Veloce Motors (not the team, but the same people) was by this time a growing concern and there was plenty going on with regard to their Volvo franchise.

#45 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,850 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:20

Not sure if this one was from Rod's camera? Published in a period annual.

250LM_bent.jpg

Bill Brown indiscretion at WF.

Surname spelling of David Liddle, is as just typed.

Stephen

Edited by cooper997, 29 April 2018 - 09:52.

#46 launchpad

launchpad

• 146 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:21

Stephen, Not my photo - I'm not sure who took it - maybe Lance Ruting?

Re posts #43 #44. I don't have David McKay's book handy, but I seem to remember that in 1968 there were some negotiations towards David selling the LM250 (I always called it  that rather than LM 275).

The parties involved didn't pay the deposit? or something, and the deal fell over.

David Mckay retained ownership until much later. It raced successfully at Laguna Seca by Spencer Martin , sold to a consortium and then to Ralph Lauren.

If anyone has the book Scuderia Veloce, they can check if I'm on the mark. Memory sometimes fails us!

Rod.

#47 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:59

Richard Blanden dug this shot up recently.

11046539_10153208906762578_5101638043345

I'm quite sure the LM and the BT11A along with Mr Martin's abilities as a maestro behind the wheel of anything that he drove went a long way towards me receiving the given name Spencer!

P1100868.jpg

Edited by SJ Lambert, 21 March 2015 - 07:33.

#48 ProvaMO31

ProvaMO31

• 62 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:03

Do you know when this pic was taken, and where ?...i am surprised to see the LM without the green stripe, but with n°1 ( seem to be in 1965)

#49 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:06

Longford?

#50 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:27

Quite sure it's Longford now - and given that Frank Matich is next to the LM in an Elfin 400 - in only it's second meeting, it's gotta be 1966.