• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3955 replies to this topic

#1 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:22

2aprilneunz.jpg

subir08odv.jpg

Please be respectful with both drivers and their respective supporters.

Edited by kosmos, 29 November 2015 - 14:33.

Advertisement

#2 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:24

subiiiwws43.jpg

Edited by kosmos, 26 March 2015 - 05:26.

#3 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,708 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:32

Namaste.

#4 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:40

BOOM

#5 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:46

YAY!  :)

#6 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:00

I predict their battles for 16th will be tight?

On a serious note, Alonso in quali, closer in races.

#7 Turbo1

Turbo1

• 194 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:11

I predicted Alonso to dominate Button, but it will be very interesting to see how he will perform this weekend, coming back from his long lay off, and barely driven the car compared to Button? Jenson has a huge advantage, and it will be his  Best chance to beat him and get some momentum.

Edited by Turbo1, 26 March 2015 - 06:12.

#8 pusko

pusko

• 990 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:12

Alonso will be better in q and on race pace. But closer then with Kimi last year.

#9 Morgan00

Morgan00

• 422 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:30

Go Jenson!! :cool:  

#10 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:35

I predicted Alonso to dominate Button, but it will be very interesting to see how he will perform this weekend, coming back from his long lay off, and barely driven the car compared to Button? Jenson has a huge advantage, and it will be his  Best chance to beat him and get some momentum.

To be honest, I think it will take more than one race for Fernando to get up to speed. He is a great talent, but let's be objective here. But given the circumstances I am just simply happy that he is back and with the current state of the car "getting up to speed" doesn't mean a lot anyway  :lol:  Hopefully they will be more competitive (middle pack instead dead last) by the second half of the season

#11 Morgan00

Morgan00

• 422 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:38

I think it will be difficult to compare the drivers as long as the cars are so unreliable as they currently are. If they are treating this as another glorified test, who knows if they will even be running with the same settings? Anyways, it will be good to see both drivers on the track.

#12 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:59

YAY KOSMOS!!!

The mother of all driver vs driver threads!

This year is going to throw up some surprises. After Lewis vs Fernando and Lewis vs Jenson, Fernando vs Jenson will show us even clearer the balance of powers. I have to correct myself - the mother of all threads would be Lewis vs Fernando, but that's not going to happen anymore.

Again, I believe Jenson is going to throw up the odd surprise, yet in general Fernando should dominate...

#13 Flamini

Flamini

• 1,065 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:01

I think it will be difficult to compare the drivers as long as the cars are so unreliable as they currently are. If they are treating this as another glorified test, who knows if they will even be running with the same settings?

This.

#14 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:01

To be honest, I think it will take more than one race for Fernando to get up to speed. He is a great talent, but let's be objective here. But given the circumstances I am just simply happy that he is back and with the current state of the car "getting up to speed" doesn't mean a lot anyway :lol: Hopefully they will be more competitive (middle pack instead dead last) by the second half of the season

In particular, Fernando is already one engine down on Jenson...

#15 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:05

subiiiwws43.jpg

Green light "to race" sounds a little over-optimistic given the car he's in. But good to have Alonso back. The season starts here.

#16 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:07

To be honest, I think it will take more than one race for Fernando to get up to speed. He is a great talent, but let's be objective here. But given the circumstances I am just simply happy that he is back and with the current state of the car "getting up to speed" doesn't mean a lot anyway  :lol:  Hopefully they will be more competitive (middle pack instead dead last) by the second half of the season

Yeah, that's what he said in the PC, the first races are going to be like testing from him, not only he has to learn about the car but also about how the team do things in the weekend.

#17 sergey1308

sergey1308

• 116 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:44

I'm not a Fernando fan, but I consider he will dominate in generally. Of course Jenson can surprise in wet conditions. Nevertheless it's a pity that all this will take place in the bottom of grid.

#18 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:24

Will be an interesting pair to follow. I don´t think it will be as one sided as some think, but I excpect Fernando to be faster of the two over one lap, on race pace it will be much closer fight, Jenson throwing few surprises here and there (also in qualifying) a bit like it was between Hamilton-Button.

#19 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:36

I don't see this going anyway other than to Alonso, although I do think Button will provide more of a challenge to him than Raikkonen or Massa did, which basically mains Button will beat him occasionally.

Edited by aramos, 26 March 2015 - 08:36.

Advertisement

#20 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:37

Will be an interesting pair to follow. I don´t think it will be as one sided as some think, but I excpect Fernando to be faster of the two over one lap, on race pace it will be much closer fight, Jenson throwing few surprises here and there (also in qualifying) a bit like it was between Hamilton-Button.

Button is an accomplished racer and is generally underrated by basically everyone in my view. he's very consistent and has good pace, like he says you don't outscore Hamilton over 3 years if you're not a top level driver.

I do think however Alonso is just that bit better, we shall see.

#21 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,353 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:41

Gut feeling is Alonso to take both Q&R by a slim-ish margin. Reliability could play a big role in this one.

I think JB might get the best single result though. Thinking a tricky race in either Spa or Japan.

#22 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:46

It's oooon.

#23 aramos

aramos

• 1,498 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:53

Gut feeling is Alonso to take both Q&R by a slim-ish margin. Reliability could play a big role in this one.

I think JB might get the best single result though. Thinking a tricky race in either Spa or Japan.

Engine penalties and reliability will manipulate results greatly this season.

#24 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:14

Am actually looking forward to this pity the car is not competitive right now.

Reliability & strategy will have a strong say in the final outcome. I think Alonso will win it. I think his qualifying pace is grossly underrated and this just might be Jensons Achilles heel, in the race there's not much to choose from but I think Alonso also shades that based on his sheer relentlessness.

#25 Sanzx81

Sanzx81

• 112 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:21

Very happy that Alonso (and Bottas) are racing.

I like Jenson and Fernando. They are both nice people and good drivers but I think Alonso will in the end be the winner of this one.

#26 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 2,285 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:32

ALO has to be favourite but JB will surprise. I have been looking forward to this is, with more than a little apprehension, since we knew Fred was coming to McLaren.

#27 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,769 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:33

Alonso, for sure, but Jenson will do the maximum, for sure.  :up:

#28 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:47

Won't live up to the hype. Same as Kimi v Fernando.

#29 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:56

Jenson will surprise some people. He's not Felipe or Kimi. 

I just wonder how difficult it will be to actually compare them. So much more going on nowadays then just 'He went quicker than him, done'. Especially while McLaren is still searching for base competitiveness.

#30 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,222 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:05

I dont think a real picture will emerge until McLaren have a competitive car and are racing in races. Right now who knows whats going on with each drivers car in order to asses their performance. I really want to see this battle but IM concerned we may be robbed of a substantial portion of it because of the problems the team have.

I rate Fernando as the best so do expect him to win this, but I also would be surprised if its domination that some here are predicting. JB's a very underrated driver.

#31 Paincake

Paincake

• 1,068 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:08

Jenson is actually a very quick driver. Almost none of the teammates could beat him safe Hamilton.

Still though, my expectations of Alonso are higher, I've seen what he can do. Unfortunately, I don't think i'l be too cheerfull about it considering Alonso deserves a Williams/Ferrari equilivent performing car. I'm wondering if the Honda will be just as gimped in Malaysia. Melbourne was quite humiliating.

#32 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:20

I couldn't care less which one of them gets more points - as long as they both work together to improve the car AND both get the maximum available (which will hopefully include points eventually). Both Fernando and Jenson have enough experience to help develop the car, which is what is required at the moment.

I don't know whether to be concerned about the fact they appear to have different driving styles which so far seems to have require different steering to be fitted for Fernando (which has been removed due to the accident - for now at least) - is this likely to take the development down 2 different ways as I don't see that being advantageous at all?

As McLaren are my favorite team obviously I'm most interested in the performance of Fernando and Jenson so I hope this thread remains civilised enough to be able to discuss how the drivers are getting on.

#33 RedRocksF1

RedRocksF1

• 99 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:43

I think it won´t be easy to analize due to the poor performance of the cars. Some DNFs, race with some systems down, ...

But I think Alonso is a better driver.

#34 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:58

I kinda wonder about the hardware. If they're running quite detuned already, is it possible that little issues here or there could lead to one car being gimped more than the other during a session or the weekend?

#35 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:13

I kinda wonder about the hardware. If they're running quite detuned already, is it possible that little issues here or there could lead to one car being gimped more than the other during a session or the weekend?

Didn't that already happen in Australia to Kevin on his last run in qualifying? - he said he had some problem with the engine so couldn't set as quick a time as he would have done on his final run.

#36 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:24

This weekend should be for Button unless his PU gives him problems.

#37 Hollow

Hollow

• 370 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:44

Alonso's PU detuned to G minor, Button's to F#.

#38 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:16

People have been underestimating Jenson for 15 years, it's no surprise to see that still happening. I predict a big fight from these two, probably with Alonso just edging out on top, it's just a shame that it will be for 16th.

#39 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 593 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:20

I know many people give Alonso clear advantage but honestly I expect Jenson to have the edge during the first season. This year wont be easy for Alonso, first time not being a clear #1 for years and entering a new team with an established driver already there, will be a challenge. Next year we have to wait and see but for now my money is on Button.

Edited by beqa16v, 26 March 2015 - 12:21.

Advertisement

#40 Turbo1

Turbo1

• 194 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:35

. This year wont be easy for Alonso, first time not being a clear #1 for years and entering a new team with an established driver already there, will be a challenge.

Sort of sounds like when he joined Ferrari..

#41 sergey1308

sergey1308

• 116 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:58

I know many people give Alonso clear advantage but honestly I expect Jenson to have the edge during the first season. This year wont be easy for Alonso, first time not being a clear #1 for years and entering a new team with an established driver already there, will be a challenge. Next year we have to wait and see but for now my money is on Button.

You forgot 2007 and LH in the same McLaren. He have to be #1 in the team, but he wasn't.

#42 Borko

Borko

• 2,226 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:58

Although Alonso is my favourite driver, I'd really be suprised to see him beat Button this weekend.

#43 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 13:19

He was only ever #1 at Ferrari because he was far and away better than his teammates *each year*. He was earning that position every season.

You're crazy if you think Alonso needs some 'warming up' season. He's not considered one of the best for no reason.

#44 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 593 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 13:25

Sort of sounds like when he joined Ferrari..

Ferrari paid Raikkonen for not driving to bring Alonso in 2010. Team managers were saying they did it as they needed new Schumacher to lead the team. How come he was not #1 driver? The team was focused around him all those years. Saying Alonso was not #1 driver in Ferrari during any of his years there is a denial of plain obvious things.

Yes 2007 was an exception, the only year in his more or less mature career when he was not #1 driver or team boss's favorite. We all know how spectacularly that ended don't we? (He still benefited on a couple of occasions early in the season when Lewis clearly held back, but please dont switch to this particular statement now its not the main argument).

Lets see how this year goes for him, but I think he will have much harder time with Button at Mclaren (first year at least) than with Massa or Raikkonen. That's down to adaptation and not enjoying team favoritism.

Edited by beqa16v, 26 March 2015 - 13:28.

#45 Button4life

Button4life

• 6,005 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 13:26

Jenson Button will surprise many people here. I expect him to do nearly as well as Alonso. So he'll get 80% of Alonso's points I think

#46 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 593 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 13:26

He was only ever #1 at Ferrari because he was far and away better than his teammates *each year*. He was earning that position every season.

You're crazy if you think Alonso needs some 'warming up' season. He's not considered one of the best for no reason.

Let's see, I think it will be difficult for him if he is not favored by the team.

#47 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 13:27

I fear the shoddy Honda engine is going to spoil this fight for us...

#48 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 13:34

Jenson will surprise some people. He's not Felipe or Kimi. 

This.

Although I think Alonso will dominate qualifying. Alonso's one lap pace has become very underrated over the years. 

#49 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 13:38

Is the whole last month a factor to anyone, because on brief reading it seems it hasn't been mentioned much?

In the next few races Jenson will have a big advantage, purely on the basis that Alonso has been away from the car and hasn't even been able to worry about pace because he's had to focus on health and being able to race at all.  Jenson hasn't had many laps in the car during the winter (none of them did) but has still had a smoother ride and has now completed a race distance and full race weekend.  Alonso is joining Button in his team, has had a well publicised crash and has missed a race, so all the odds at stacked against Alonso.  The only thing he has going for him is his skills and reputation for being one of the best, if not the best driver in the paddock.

So Jenson has a good chance to do well in this matchup in the early days.  By Barcelona it probably won't matter so much but yeah.  It'll be especially demoralising if Alonso can come straight in and dominate this weekend.  In the matchup at least.. as for sure he won't be dominating anyone else.  Jenson is settled in the team and Alonso is playing catch up, so it's a good chance for Jenson to prove any doubters wrong and put on a good showing.

The matchup will probably become a lot better to watch as the car starts to improve but in the meantime, hopefully they'll at least have each other to race against. :p

#50 sergey1308

sergey1308

• 116 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 13:42

Lets see how this year goes for him, but I think he will have much harder time with Button at Mclaren (first year at least) than with Massa or Raikkonen. That's down to adaptation and not enjoying team favoritism.

Yeah, Button is stronger rival than Massa or Raikkonen. It will be interesting, particularly if McLaren will make significant modifications during the season.