* - - - - 4 votes

Cyril Abiteboul: "Renault considers to quit F1 engagement"

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 18:42

"Ich kann bestätigen, dass wir uns viele Optionen anschauen, darunter auch ein Formel-1-Ausstieg", sagt Cyril Abiteboul, Geschäftsführer der Renault-Motorenabteilung in Viry-Chatillon.

"I confirm that we are considering different options including withdrawal F1", says Cyril Abiteboul, CEO of Renault engine department in Viry-Chatillon.

"Ehrlich gesagt", holt Abiteboul aus, "wenn die Formel 1 für das Image von Renault so schlecht ist, wenn uns klar wird, dass wir mit dem aktuellen Format Probleme haben, wenn die Kosten-Nutzen-Rechnung nicht stimmt und man als Motorenhersteller keinen finanziellen Anreiz hat, einen Motor zu entwickeln und die Entwicklung zu finanzieren...", spricht er den Satz nicht zu Ende. "All das müssen wir überprüfen."

"To be honest", he says, "if F1 damages the reputation of Renault, if it's particularly obvious that the current rules don't work and if there's no financial incentive...", he doesn't end the sentence "We have to consider all these things".

http://www.formel1.d...r-ausstieg-nach

It's happening... :rotfl:  Thank you Renault for these "fantastic engines" and for destroying F1... Thank you very much!  :rolleyes:

Please delete if already posted. I couldn't find a thread about these shocking statements.

Edited by Tourgott, 27 March 2015 - 18:43.

Advertisement

#2 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 18:45

Well that's where the 5 engine allowance came from obviously.

Gotta love the part where its F1 damaging Renault's reputation.

#3 Massa

Massa

• 9,971 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 18:46

Perhaps we should remplace F1 by RBR...

#4 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 18:49

"To be honest", he says, "if F1 damages the reputation of Renault, if it's particularly obvious that the current rules don't work and if there's no financial incentive...", he doesn't end the sentence "We have to consider all these things".

This is not true. The transcript of the press conference (which was in English):

CA: I can confirm that we are looking [at] a lot of options, including getting out of Formula One. Honestly, if Formula One is that bad for Renault’s reputation, if we see that we struggle with the current formula, if Formula One is not delivering value what it costs to Renault, bearing in mind that when you are an engine supplier you have no financial incentive to develop and to fund engine development, so this is what we are looking at, and obviously we think that we are a credible player in the sport but we want to compete amongst the best brands and that Formula One is good for meet and plan as a brand, then we need to think about what else can we do to what we are doing and if you do that, this is an open market, we have the capacity to have discussions with lots of parties. But as I’ve said, for the time being the focus is on engines.

#5 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 3,714 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 18:53

What's wrong with what he said, the guy came clean and stated that if they suck for too long, that will damage the brand. Why would they spend hundreds of millions to end up tarnishing their reputation ?

Edited by shonguiz, 27 March 2015 - 18:53.

#6 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 18:53

m8MKD0G.gif

Jp

#7 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 18:55

This is not true. The transcript of the press conference (which was in English):

Ah ok, that's better.

#8 R Soul

R Soul

• 1,639 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 19:00

What's wrong with what he said, the guy came clean and stated that if they suck for too long, that will damage the brand. Why would they spend hundreds of millions to end up tarnishing their reputation ?

Renault threatened to quit F1 unless all manufacturers had to use hybrid engines. So the situation is of their own making.

#9 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 3,714 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 19:08

Yeah and so what ?

#10 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 19:12

These engines are what they wanted. 

#11 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 19:15

I see it far more as a barbed comment at Red Bull - "if you're going to slag us off and make us look like sh!t, then au revoir, mon ami"

#12 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 19:17

These engines are what they wanted.

The type of engine is not the issue, the fact the rules don't allow the change or fixing of the problem is where the problem lies.

#13 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 19:20

I, for once would be really sorry if one of the top two or three most innovative and winning brands in F1 was to leave.

#14 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 19:25

I take those comments more of a kick back at Red Bull who have been trashing them in the press.

#15 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,298 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 19:27

I see it far more as a barbed comment at Red Bull - "if you're going to slag us off and make us look like sh!t, then au revoir, mon ami"

Spot on.  It's a veiled threat IMHO at Horner to shut the **** up or go and get a new engine from . . . .uh  . .. . um . . . yeah Christian, where exactly?

#16 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 19:28

+ It obviously puts them in a better negotiating position if they look to buy a team.

Edited by Kimble, 27 March 2015 - 19:28.

#17 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 19:31

The type of engine is not the issue, the fact the rules don't allow the change or fixing of the problem is where the problem lies.

What Renault has changed hasn't worked. That's the problem for them at the moment. The engine 'freeze' isn't as much of a freeze as some would (like to) imagine. It's almost a convenient excuse. It can't surely be that one set of engineers can do a better job than others.... Besides, do people really think they would leap up to Mercedes without a freeze, bearing in mind that huge in-season engine gains or changes in engine pecking order weren't exactly the norm when there was no restricted development in place. And Merc (and Ferrari) wouldn't be 'frozen' either.

#18 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,708 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 19:40

http://www.formel1.d...r-ausstieg-nach

It's happening... :rotfl:  Thank you Renault for these "fantastic engines" and for destroying F1... Thank you very much!  :rolleyes:

Please delete if already posted. I couldn't find a thread about these shocking statements.

That's so selective and poorly translated that your basically making it up.

#19 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,708 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 19:41

Ferrari seem to have managed.

Advertisement

#20 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 19:41

If everyone who threatened to quit did quit, there would be noboy left around.

OTOH, it's good to finally hear them say something. I can't remember any other manufacturer suffering such a flog from its multi-WDC-WCC-partner.

And it definitely sounds like a "Red Bull, get your **** together".

#21 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 19:45

Ferrari seem to somehow found a way

#22 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 19:52

Ferrari seem to have managed.

We'll see.

They have improved but it's no silver bullet. Just look at s2 at Sepang. Merc is that fast there because they have the power to run that level of downforce.

#23 AlexLangheck

AlexLangheck

• 398 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 19:59

They should pull the plug - is it worth the hassle? Go and turn their fantastic RS 01 into a GT3 and do some fun racing.

#24 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,836 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 20:00

'The problem'; what is that? That the engines are too expensive? That Renault is being beaten? That Mercedes is too dominant? That Red Bull is slagging off Renault? All kinds of 'problems' are thrown on a heap. Renault and Red Bull seem intent on framing the current engine-rules in the cadre of 'a problem' so just by the force of repetition the rules become a problem.

Let us say that 'the problem' is that Mercedes have - by accident - created the superior engine and that the rule prevent Ferrari and Renault to correct that advantage. First I have not seen any concrete evidence that this is the case, in other words: that within the current rules, Renault could not have improved their engines. Second: if that idea, of an engine manufacturer 'lucking' into the best engine... why has not Renault back then build in a proviso in the rules? They had four championships in a row to think of such a rule...

#25 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 20:36

Talk about a kneejerk reaction. They were supposed to be buying their own team last week!

#26 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 20:44

Tough luck. 

#27 Denaris

Denaris

• 317 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 20:56

I keep saying 'Abiteboul' over and over in my head and the more I say it the funnier it sounds.

#28 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 21:07

Talk about a kneejerk reaction. They were supposed to be buying their own team last week!

More like a well delivered to the press 'calm down and watch your mouth, Red Bull. Our engine is better than no engine'.

#29 Tapz63

Tapz63

• 645 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 23:50

We'll see.

They have improved but it's no silver bullet. Just look at s2 at Sepang. Merc is that fast there because they have the power to run that level of downforce.

Compared to who? Ferrari were very close in sector 2. In sector 3 Ferrari are further behind.

#30 Sausage

Sausage

• 1,820 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 00:25

The list of people (including viewers) and companies who haven't threatened to quit F1 in the last few years is very small by now.

#31 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:05

"bearing in mind that when you are an engine supplier you have no financial incentive to develop and to fund engine development, "

This is a concerning statement.  There REALLY should be Renault logos plastered up and down the Red Bull, not Infiniti ones...

#32 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,629 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:26

If making a competitive engine is not incentive enough, how about 'not making an engine that is going to make us look like cretins compared to the engineers at Mercedes and Ferrari' ...

I assume branding, including display of logos etc, is part of the contract between Renault and Red Bull.  If it isn't, another Renault fail.  Maybe their marketing team is of the same standard as their engineering team, and neither talk to their legal team who are writing the contract.

#33 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:07

^ Would require $$$ into Red Bull Racing.  Perhaps Renault are unwilling.

#34 aguri

aguri

• 418 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:13

"bearing in mind that when you are an engine supplier you have no financial incentive to develop and to fund engine development, "

This is a concerning statement.  There REALLY should be Renault logos plastered up and down the Red Bull, not Infiniti ones...

Infiniti is Renault.

If Renault wanted their logo on the side of the car instead it would be there.

#35 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,836 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:46

Infiniti is Renault.

If Renault wanted their logo on the side of the car instead it would be there.

That is an interesting remark, because yesterday I watched a BBC-video about the Renault-Red Bull rift, and there was something that struck me as odd. I could not pin it down until your post, and then I knew it: Horner was wearing a Red Bull-shirt with yellow shoulders and Abita...Abitobaoul..Aba...the Renault-guy was wearing a yellow t-shirt with 'Renault' on the back. I can't remember having seen those shirts. Or have I not been looking sharply enough?

#36 SonJR

SonJR

• 441 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:25

That is an interesting remark, because yesterday I watched a BBC-video about the Renault-Red Bull rift, and there was something that struck me as odd. I could not pin it down until your post, and then I knew it: Horner was wearing a Red Bull-shirt with yellow shoulders and Abita...Abitobaoul..Aba...the Renault-guy was wearing a yellow t-shirt with 'Renault' on the back. I can't remember having seen those shirts. Or have I not been looking sharply enough?

f1-german-gp-2014-christian-horner-red-b

The yellow is part of the Red Bull logo.

They moved/changed it around a bit. The logo was 'mirrored'/inverted in the earlier Red Bull years.

Edited by SonJR, 28 March 2015 - 08:25.

#37 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 2,393 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:34

The Infiniti deal was to push that brands global awareness. They must have felt for the coverage it was less beneficial to Renault or Nissan. It doesn't explain how Renault have reacted to it publicly, like Red Bull signed the deal behind their back.

#38 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,836 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:55

f1-german-gp-2014-christian-horner-red-b

The yellow is part of the Red Bull logo.

They moved/changed it around a bit. The logo was 'mirrored'/inverted in the earlier Red Bull years.

I see thanks. Still, I saw the Renault shirt at the back of Abiteboul.

I thought.

#39 FLB

FLB

• 29,440 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:03

I'm paraphrasing, but I remember an interview at an auto show (either Paris or Geneva) with Carlos Ghosn a couple of years ago where he said 'If you win, motorsports is an investment; if you don't, it's an expense...'

Advertisement

#40 pdac

pdac

• 17,074 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:36

Eddie Jordan asked Christian Horner if it would be better for them to work with Renault rather than publicly critisiing them all the time. CH dodged the question, of course, but then started talking about why can't there be an Infinity engine. I just don't think he gets it - if you want to win, work as a team even with your suppliers.

#41 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 13:41

Gone are the days when there spent more than enough, tested more than enough, but were still not fast enough. One could say, sorry you should be faster given the resources and tests. These days, I wish other teams had enough time to evaluate their designs on the field so that they could be faster and reliable. How is limited testing helping anyone, teams have dropped off the grid or almost.