* * * * * 1 votes

Williams strategy and race operations 2015

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 WilliamsFan25

WilliamsFan25

• 67 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 18:43

Second/third quickest car so the designers have done a good job and it has the best engine. Williams seem to be throwing away points. First pitting into traffic in australia, then they risk a penalty for using a tyre when they shouldn't (can't time to 30 minutes in practice - no wonder timing is off in qualifying as well) and then they do a weird strategy in the wet qualifying in, out, in, out, in, lap - what a waste - and then there is a tyre pressure issue as well. 

Is it just me or would we be doing much better with better operations and strategy??? Should they get someone from Red Bull who are really slick?

Advertisement

#2 JAW97

JAW97

• 219 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 19:06

Well, I wouldn't mind a weekend job and won't ask for much in terms of money...

#3 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 19:09

its only race 2

#4 WilliamsFan25

WilliamsFan25

• 67 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 19:16

its only race 2

and they've messed up 3 times........ it frustrates me that they often waste a good car at willies

#5 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 6,652 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 19:32

They have messed up like at least 75% of the time last year. Could have easily won a race had they not make stupid decisions. 

#6 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,304 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 20:02

its only race 2

And 19 races from last season where they messed up multiple times. This car has the same flaws as last year's car unfortunately, combined with messing up at the pitwall, no wonder Ferrari will finish ahead this season.

#7 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 20:55

They just continue where they left off in 2014, but this time with a slightly less competitive car due to the improved Ferrari engine. Not going to be a great year for Williams.

#8 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,818 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 22:20

This seems to have been set up to create some competition for the McLaren Strategy and Race Operations thread. :)

I still think McLaren will 'win', but I think it might be close...

Seriously, I'm baffled as to why these 2 teams don't seem to understand that they are shooting themselves in the foot on a regular basis.

#9 Barri

Barri

• 314 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:17

and yet again, they have just blown Massa's pit stop. 

#10 Flexa

Flexa

• 428 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:22

Another mistake, impressive

#11 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 1,201 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:09

Bit of a shame for Massa, as if he hadn't lost those 2 seconds, he possibly could have held 5th.

#12 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,126 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:23

I suppose the "good" thing is that the team is so far behind Ferrari and Mercedes, but so far ahead of the rest of the pack, that minor strategic and pit-stop mistakes have virtually no effect except on the intra-team battle.

#13 WilliamsFan25

WilliamsFan25

• 67 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 13:52

I'd be suprised at this rate if they do one race without a mistake. Why pit under the safety car? they could have won the race or at least filled the podium. Do what Ferrari did and sack them and get some decent people in.

#14 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 14:05

Bit of a shame for Massa, as if he hadn't lost those 2 seconds, he possibly could have held 5th.

I don't think so. Massa was the slower driver today and had to resort to some nasty blocking to keep Vale behind him. Bottas came from way behind to beat him in his first race of the season after an injury.

#15 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 14:11

Not disagreeing that Bottas was the faster driver today. However I think Massa would of been able to hold him off if it weren't for Williams's awful pit stops. They really need to improve on them.

#16 kaisellgren

kaisellgren

• 200 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 14:49

and yet again, they have just blown Massa's pit stop. 

They also ruined Bottas' first stop, which made him lose him ~2 positions -- which is worse than losing a few seconds on an empty and clear track at the end of the race imo.

In any case, they keep ruining their races with strategic blunders and nightmarish pitstops. Unbeliavable..

#17 WilliamsFan25

WilliamsFan25

• 67 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 14:59

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: It was a good team performance and we finished with the maximum points on offer considering the pace of the car. It was a tough race in the heat but there are areas of the package that we have to improve. We made a good recovery from a difficult Saturday and it was good to have both cars racing each other, although at one stage they were a bit too close.

Absolute crap! They won't fix their strategy issues if they never admit they make a mistake. This is from the same guy who said they'd be pushing Mercedes this year.

#18 V666

V666

• 70 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 21:07

Second/third quickest car so the designers have done a good job and it has the best engine. Williams seem to be throwing away points. First pitting into traffic in australia, then they risk a penalty for using a tyre when they shouldn't (can't time to 30 minutes in practice - no wonder timing is off in qualifying as well) and then they do a weird strategy in the wet qualifying in, out, in, out, in, lap - what a waste - and then there is a tyre pressure issue as well.

Is it just me or would we be doing much better with better operations and strategy??? Should they get someone from Red Bull who are really slick?

Yep I fully agree, they were terrible at that game last year. They threw away a real good chance of victory at Austria last year, definitely need to up their performance in this department.

#19 WilliamsFan25

WilliamsFan25

• 67 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 17:44

I think its time to resurrect this given the shocking last few races. I thought pitstop blunders were due to stop after what happened earlier this year? and the strategy again? If Red Bull catch us this year I am going to be so disappointed

Advertisement

#20 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 2,725 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 21:52

They keep messing up, then come out with the same old "learn from mistakes and move on". Be nice if they did learn and sort it out.

#21 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 21:55

1398220320156559281.jpg

The moment you saw this.... :mad:

#22 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 2,725 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 22:00

1398220320156559281.jpg
The moment you saw this.... :mad:

#23 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 2,725 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 22:01

Whoops, meant to say, not so much angry face as resigned to incompetance face...

#24 WilliamsFan25

WilliamsFan25

• 67 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:19

The delay while Williams switched the wheels back cost Massa close to one minute and Smedley says that steps will be taken to avoid a repeat of the error.

"We tried to fit the left on the right and vice versa," said Smedley when asked by AUTOSPORT about the problem.

"What led to it, in very broad, general terms, was not having good enough procedures, not having good enough processes to catch things like that to ensure they don't happen.

"We have to go away, be pragmatic, be very honest and open with each other in the team.

"That's something that I am keen to do at Williams, to be absolutely transparent with everybody and go away and see this was good, this wasn't good and needs to be fixed.

"We will decide on Monday/Tuesday exactly what needs to be fixed, where the priorities are, and just get on with it."

Smedley added that he was happy to take responsibility for the error because he of his senior position in the team.

What happened then? We are repeating mistakes from earlier in the year....

#25 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 727 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:27

Addressing the topic here.....

They seem to have neither, don't they?

This team is amazing in that despite their 'history' they still invent new ways to cock things up.

Do they have any strategist on board?

Smedley seems to be the go to guy to give comment on their continual failure get a grip and run.

Decent fellow but no killer instinct.

#26 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 15:14

I'm embarrassed....

#27 pdac

pdac

• 17,074 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 15:43

I'm embarrassed....

I'm sure you'll be saying the same this time next year. Williams have always troubled me. They never seem to be able to realise their full potential.

#28 kaisellgren

kaisellgren

• 200 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 16:16

The race was a complete waste of potential.. even if Williams built the best car for the next season, they won't win the championships!

Edited by kaisellgren, 29 November 2015 - 16:16.

#29 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 16:20

I'm sure you'll be saying the same this time next year. Williams have always troubled me. They never seem to be able to realise their full potential.

Smedley was brought in to improve track operations.

Two years on, it's not really happening.

Four and five second pit stops don't really cut it. Never mind the amateur errors.

#30 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,381 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 16:34

It is a bit of a disaster for the team, getting rather embarrassing and hopefully they get on top of it for next season as it could be the difference between scoring and not scoring if the grid gets tighter.  Rob Smedley needs to really sort things out.  

#31 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 16:36

Isnt Smedley anyway leaving now apparentely?

#32 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 16:50

Isnt Smedley anyway leaving now apparentely?

According to Sky Sports, this rumour has been denied.

Williams have denied speculation in the Italian media that Rob Smedley could leave the team to take on the role of Technical Director at Haas. Williams insist Smedley is under contract and has told the team he has no intention of departing.

Of course, this doesn't mean they can't fire him.

#33 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,381 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 20:38

Good to see that in the world according to Rob Smedley, Bottas was let out at the right time, but it was Valtteri's fault he hit Button as he failed to see him until it was too late.  I thought that was the whole point of the safe release rule?  Oh well, at least it was a race that had no bearing on the team's position in the standings.  

#34 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 20:47

Smedley was brought in to improve track operations.

Two years on, it's not really happening.

Four and five second pit stops don't really cut it. Never mind the amateur errors.

Was he? Or are you just looking for someone to hang the blame on?

#35 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 20:52

Good to see that in the world according to Rob Smedley, Bottas was let out at the right time, but it was Valtteri's fault he hit Button as he failed to see him until it was too late.  

Hmmm. I thought Smedley was the guy who said he was eliminating 'blame culture' from Williams?

Pat said something rather different on the TV. They have guys whose job it is to check it's clear, but perhaps this guy was unsighted by the car in front of Button.

#36 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,381 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 20:59

Hmmm. I thought Smedley was the guy who said he was eliminating 'blame culture' from Williams?

Pat said something rather different on the TV. They have guys whose job it is to check it's clear, but perhaps this guy was unsighted by the car in front of Button.

Well at least now the engineers aren't blaming each other, just the drivers! 

#37 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 21:00

Was he? Or are you just looking for someone to hang the blame on?

Yes. It's his job to put procedures in place and oversee them.

#38 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:03

Well at least now the engineers aren't blaming each other, just the drivers! 

Bottas doesn't quite see it that way.

Bottas: In the end this is a real wake-up call for our team. We all know the facts and know we need to improve the car sharply . . . it also gives also some organizational aspects that are capable of improvement.

We were not as fast as we should be, and for that we have paid a high price in the last few races. This is a sad way to end the season.

Speedweek

#39 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,381 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:07

Bottas doesn't quite see it that way.

Speedweek

In this instance I am inclined to agree with Bottas.  We haven't capitalised this year on our pace and seemed content to rest when it looked like third was tied up.  Maybe that means super development for 2016 but I remain to be convinced.  I am hoping we're not of the mentality now that third is brilliant and job done.  Our race organisation needs a lot of work, both in terms of strategy and in terms of pitstops.  How that car was let out was beyond me, you cannot blame a driver, he surely wouldn't think to look in his mirrors when being released as the team ought to be doing that for him.  Although maybe as you say the engineers were possibly unsighted.  Still, somehow this year just feels more frustrating that last season as I had hoped we could push on a touch whereas it feels like we've been left behind further, despite finishing in the same position.