* - - - - 3 votes

Booing for Hamilton?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 DinosaursRoarForHugs

DinosaursRoarForHugs

• 153 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 20:49

I'm sorry for starting a thread just for this, I couldn't see it mentioned in the Malaysia race thread...

When I was watching the podium, it seemed like Hamilton was being booed by some of the crowd.

Is there a reason for this, or was it not Lewis that it was aimed at? 

edit: change the thread title please!

I didn't mean it like that you eejits.... :down:  I mean about the booing. Popular among the crowd, i.e. why are they booing him. smh

Edited by DinosaursRoarForHugs, 29 March 2015 - 20:56.

Advertisement

#2 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 20:53

Nobody is universally popular.

Next.

#3 chrisPB15

chrisPB15

• 423 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 20:53

I don't think you can judge a driver's popularity from a small minority who boo. You'd really need to look how he is received throughout the whole weekend. Autograph signing, photo sessions etc. How about the grandstands as he lapped during the race?

#4 Ducks

Ducks

• 829 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 20:54

aliens-meme.jpg

#5 micktosin

micktosin

• 1,026 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 20:57

He wasn't booed at all(I didn't hear it), don't know which post conference you watched. Hamilton is by far the most popular driver in F1.

Edited by micktosin, 29 March 2015 - 20:58.

#6 DinosaursRoarForHugs

DinosaursRoarForHugs

• 153 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 20:58

It sounded to me like there was some booing as well as cheers when he was given his trophy...

#7 Button4life

Button4life

• 6,005 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 20:59

They were probably booing the wrong person by accident. Bigger chance they booed Rosberg

#8 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 21:00

It was Petronas's home race. I thought the crowd's reception of him was better than in Australia. 

#9 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 1,020 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 21:01

He wasn't booed at all(I didn't hear it), don't know which post conference you watched. Hamilton is by far the most popular driver in this forum

FTFY.

#10 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 21:06

I didn't notice any booing for Hamilton, in fact if anything I thought he received a little louder cheering than the others.

Paranoia amongst (some of) a certain driver's fans.

#11 micktosin

micktosin

• 1,026 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 21:06

FTFY.

Care to explain who is more popular and why?

#12 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,561 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 21:26

Care to explain who is more popular and why?

http://www.f1fanatic...-2014-revealed/

#13 WelshSwan

WelshSwan

• 1,013 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 21:27

I didn't hear any boos for Lewis today, possibly a handful for Nico but generally I think they all got a decent reception.

#14 ninetyzero

ninetyzero

• 706 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 21:34

The people who like him really like him, and the people who hate him really really hate him.

For the most part anyway...

#15 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,353 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 21:42

He wasn't booed at all(I didn't hear it), don't know which post conference you watched. Hamilton is by far the most popular driver in F1.

How is that measured?.

I always got the impression from the GP's and Online etc that Kimi was the most popular.  

I have no opinion one way or the other, just asking. Genuinely curious.

#16 chrisPB15

chrisPB15

• 423 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 22:00

How is that measured?.

I always got the impression from the GP's and Online etc that Kimi was the most popular.  

I have no opinion one way or the other, just asking. Genuinely curious.

Interesting the driver with the least haters in the history of the sport is the one who hardly talks to us via the media. I wonder if Lewis also said next to nothing he'd have zero haters?

Also, we shouldn't really be judging them by the answers from the stupid questions the media ask.

Edited by chrisPB15, 29 March 2015 - 22:01.

#17 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 22:05

I didn't hear any booing. All 3 drivers got a decent reception, especially SV from what was a good portion of Ferrari fans in the limited crowd. Hamilton and Vettel got a bit of pantomime boos and cheers in Oz.

#18 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 3,628 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 22:07

I'm a fan of Lewis and I have to admit I did hear a small selection of boos today on the podium and didn't really hear any for Vettel or Rosberg. It's just a bunch of bonehead losers that boo drivers anyhow. Remember that sad lot that were following Seb around after Malaysia 2013? Bunch of cretins.

Edit: I'm guessing we're all getting the same audio feed wherever we're watching (excluding commentary). I was watching on BBC (usually watch on Sky UK but woke up 20 minutes after the race start and BBC kindly lets you rewind to the start on their web player) and I definitely heard a small minority of boos when Lewis was being interviewed. Very confusing as he hasn't done anything to cause any upset even to his haters.

Edited by EndlessMotion, 29 March 2015 - 22:11.

#19 chrisPB15

chrisPB15

• 423 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 22:13

I'm a fan of Lewis and I have to admit I did hear a small selection of boos today on the podium and didn't really hear any for Vettel or Rosberg. It's just a bunch of bonehead losers that boo drivers anyhow. Remember that sad lot that were following Seb around after Malaysia 2013? Bunch of cretins.

They're paying the dollar to get in to the circuit though, F1 is hardly squeaky clean enough to claim a bit of booing is poor form.  I imagine a lot worse is said at home from Sky sports subscribers when a rival driver does something they dislike

Advertisement

#20 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 3,628 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 22:20

They're paying the dollar to get in to the circuit though, F1 is hardly squeaky clean enough to claim a bit of booing is poor form.  I imagine a lot worse is said at home from Sky sports subscribers when a rival driver does something they dislike

Well I think it is poor form. Whether or not paying spectators will do it or not is another matter and nobody can stop them. It's still uncalled for IMO but there you go. If you don't like a driver just don't cheer for them. I don't see why any driver should be booed after racing their arse off for the paying punters.

#21 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 22:26

I can't say I heard anything, although I probably wasn't paying attention.

I'll be surprised if anyone was booing Hamilton. He's probably the most popular and well liked driver out there, even amongst the hardened forumites.

#22 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 22:27

Yep, Ecclestone has a constant bone-er thinking how much money he and F1 can make as Hamilton's quite popular in key markets... even 2 days ago he was heard again saying Hamilton one of the best/ greatest champions. He's been crowing about that since 2007. I don't think anyone was booing either, and i was watching it on Sky. If anything, it may be for someone else...

This is one of the home GP's for one of the sponsors of Mercedes, could it be some fans were booing Mercedes for not winning?

#23 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,992 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 22:28

Okay a few things. Poll after poll after poll show Lewis as the most popular driver in F1.

Second, I took the liberty of re-watching both Malaysia and Australia podiums again today. In Australia, I think there was one guy booing who had too much to drink and was attention seeking. And in Malaysia I struggle to hear any booing at all.

In conclusion then, pointless thread made on an issue that doesn't even exist.

#24 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 22:29

I didn't hear any booing for him in Malaysia, I did however hear quite a bit in Australia. 

#25 robefc

robefc

• 13,533 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 22:31

In Oz I believe it was aimed at the politician presenting the trophy, although I could be wrong.

#26 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 3,628 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 22:32

Yep, Ecclestone has a constant bone-er thinking how much money he and F1 can make as Hamilton's quite popular in key markets... even 2 days ago he was heard again saying Hamilton one of the best/ greatest champions. He's been crowing about that since 2007. I don't think anyone was booing either, and i was watching it on Sky. If anything, it may be for someone else...

This is one of the home GP's for one of the sponsors of Mercedes, could it be some fans were booing Mercedes for not winning?

Could well have been for that last point you make there. It wasn't a huge number or even that big of a deal but I did notice it at the time and only seemed to start and stop around Lewis' interview. Little odd given you come to expect it in a pantomime sort of way if something controversial took place or the race winner wasn't the crowds preferred choice. But then it's usually the winner that takes the flack.

Maybe a few tried to boo Seb but weren't picked up on the microphones due to the large Ferrari support and so a selection of Seb fans gave it some when it was Lewis' turn. Maybe I'm looking into it too much though :)

#27 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 22:32

In Oz I believe it was aimed at the politician presenting the trophy, although I could be wrong.

Oz was just pantomime stuff- some folks started out booing and were then drowned out by cheers. It was the same for Vettel.

#28 robefc

robefc

• 13,533 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 22:33

Okay a few things. Poll after poll after poll show Lewis as the most popular driver in F1.

Second, I took the liberty of re-watching both Malaysia and Australia podiums again today. In Australia, I think there was one guy booing who had too much to drink and was attention seeking. And in Malaysia I struggle to hear any booing at all.

In conclusion then, pointless thread made on an issue that doesn't even exist.

The polls and surveys that I see have quite a spread of different drivers being top of the popularity pops. Lewis is often perceived as the most popular but the evidence is certainly not definitive.

Edited by robefc, 29 March 2015 - 22:34.

#29 D1rtyHarry

D1rtyHarry

• 432 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 22:38

He definitely was boo'ed. Twice actually. The first time more than the second. The second time it happens Vettel taps Hamiltons shoulder and smiles as if to say "don't worry about it".

I also recollect him getting boo'ed back on the Aus GP podium as well like a poster above.

Edited by D1rtyHarry, 29 March 2015 - 22:39.

#30 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 23:08

just re watched the podium ceremony and he got boo'd once by one guy and it seems like the same guy who did it in aus. it's a very deep distinctive boo. it may be a rival team member or one the guys who follows F1 everywhere.

#31 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 23:17

Vettel was booed, when he was doing the winning for Red Bull. Now that Vettel has switched to Ferrari, the boos have shifted to other drivers. The magic of Ferrari.:D

#32 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 23:28

How is that measured?

By the official FIA Boo-ometer.

#33 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 23:30

One the guys who follows F1 everywhere.

Imagine a guy who's entire life is spent following drivers around, booing at them. Can't help but feel that would be a lonely existence. Though I'm quite sure there are some forum members who would relish the job.

#34 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 23:33

It's one of the reasons I dislike the podium interviews. They're awkward as hell and give some idiots the opportunity to bully drivers they don't like. 

#35 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 23:38

I was sure they were booing Eddie Jordan !!!

#36 Loops

Loops

• 135 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 23:46

I didn't hear any boos. It's a bit unfair to the Malaysian fans to tar them with that. I thought they were very positive to all the drivers, and to F1 overall. The organisers were on the Beeb and very proud of what it's done for the country. The meet and greet Mercedes did was packed, and Lewis got a loud cheer when he went up to the podium. Spent his time waving at the crowd who were still calling for him even when Eddie was talking to Seb and Nico.

It was a good crowd imo, maybe one or two idiots, but probably not from Malaysia.

#37 Hamandeggs

Hamandeggs

• 360 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 00:07

I felt the boos in Australia came after Lewis repeated his phrase `we had the greatest fans here today` it gets a bit insincere when he says it to every set of fansand Australians are pretty quick to show their dislike, that's how I interpreted it anyway.

#38 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 3,849 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 00:18

Yeah I heard the boos on the podium too.

#39 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 00:22

just re watched the podium ceremony and he got boo'd once by one guy and it seems like the same guy who did it in aus. it's a very deep distinctive boo. it may be a rival team member or one the guys who follows F1 everywhere.

Totally agree. It's a very distinctive sound, first heard in Australia, now Malaysia. It also seems to be just one voice. Although yesterday's noise was quite muted compared to that in Australia. Might be a member of a rival pit crew, who knows? It's just a bit of booing though, and whilst I don't mind for one moment people voicing their displeasure, to do so without apparent reason is a bit ********, in my opinion.

Edited by MrPodium, 30 March 2015 - 00:23.

Advertisement

#40 D1rtyHarry

D1rtyHarry

• 432 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 00:35

How the hell can you tell it was one guy? Seem to be making a lot of assumptions over only audio being your proof.

#41 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 00:41

Is booing really a big deal?

#42 SB

SB

• 2,427 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:08

Yes Hamiltion is unpopular, and even being hated all around the world ... especially around the Croydon area  :cat:  :cat:  :drunk:  :drunk:  :p

#43 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:09

Yes Hamiltion is unpopular, and even being hated all around the world ... especially around the Croydon area  :cat:  :cat:  :drunk:  :drunk:  :p

Maybe the booers came from Croydon? Specifically travelled to the other side of the world to boo, since Hamilton refused to visit Croydon, but the people wanted to meet him!

#44 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:12

"They were saying boo-urns"

#45 30ft penguin

30ft penguin

• 2,522 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:19

Vettel was booed, when he was doing the winning for Red Bull. Now that Vettel has switched to Ferrari, the boos have shifted to other drivers. The magic of Ferrari. :D

Seems there are a lot of people who are easily swayed and do not like the current successful driver, and so like to cheer for the "underdogs". When Schumacher initially won, he was popular. When he won too often, people started booing. When Vettel initially won, he was popular. When he won too often, people booed and started hating him. Now, Mercedes is "too successful", so these people want Hamilton to lose and someone else to win. Suddenly Vettel becomes popular again, especially because he is driving for Ferrari, a team many like a lot. Of course, Hamilton is lucky because he is afaik still the favourite for casual teenie fans.

("people"=not everybody, just these F1 viewers who shift loyalties when someone is too successful)

#46 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:28

Seems there are a lot of people who are easily swayed and do not like the current successful driver, and so like to cheer for the "underdogs". When Schumacher initially won, he was popular. When he won too often, people started booing. When Vettel initially won, he was popular. When he won too often, people booed and started hating him. Now, Mercedes is "too successful", so these people want Hamilton to lose and someone else to win. Suddenly Vettel becomes popular again, especially because he is driving for Ferrari, a team many like a lot. Of course, Hamilton is lucky because he is afaik still the favourite for casual teenie fans.

("people"=not everybody, just these F1 viewers who shift loyalties when someone is too successful)

I think supporting the underdog does play apart.  I can't comment about Aus & Mal as I don't recall any booing myself.

BTW, I wonder how I would react if I saw a real live 30ft penguin!!!

#47 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:32

maybe he's got a few haters because he is the current champ? sort of anti fan boys

#48 Riverside

Riverside

• 3,382 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:43

This is non-thread.     :down:

#49 30ft penguin

30ft penguin

• 2,522 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:50

maybe he's got a few haters because he is the current champ? sort of anti fan boys

Yeah, that's what I meant, just in less words. So, probably Christian Horner's family members.

#50 Newtsche

Newtsche

• 403 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:11

I clearly heard boos when Hammy was introduced.  I was surprised but not as much as the cheers for Rosberg which were  the loudest by far.  No explanations from me but it was quite a contrast.