Photo

Was the first NASCAR full face helmet a motocross helmet?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Kart15

Kart15

• 158 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:20

I would like to know if is true that the first driver to wear a full face helmet in a NASCAR event, was wearing a motorcross helmet. Reading about the late Tim Richmond, there is an information that he was the first NASCAR driver to wear a balaclava and a full face helmet:

http://www.racetalkr...articles/?p=135

"AIDS killed Tim Richmond and here is where I noticed a shocking irony. On the track Richmond wore a full face helmet and a fire proof head sock, which were big safety improvements from the good old boys of that era. He had a few nasty crashes in Indy cars and knew the value of staying safe from fire. Tim Richmond was a safety nut with his equipment before getting on the track and if he took the same precautions off the track he might be alive today"

Yes, there is a footage in Tim´s documentary "to the limit" where you can see him putting a red two holed balaclava and I found this picturing of him wearing this Bell MOTO 4 Motocross helmet with an adapted peak!

T4dajiW.jpg

So, was this really the first full face helmet in NASCAR? A motocross helmet? If you was a NASCAR driver in the 80´s, was another option to wear a full face helmet with the bubble googles but not a motocross helmet, but a properly auto helmet?

Edited by Kart15, 30 March 2015 - 06:21.